• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

The Dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide: A Call to Action!

In summary, the dihydrogen monoxide in our environment is becoming a serious pollutant and companies are not being forced to stop dumping it into our rivers and oceans. There is no easy solution, but we need to start somewhere.
raebates said:
I enjoy pulling this one on people. I've decided it's genetic. My son likes to refer, when speaking to pompous church people, to Revelation 32 and the Book of David. He keeps track of the people who don't know that those aren't in the Bible.
Has he ever asked anyone if they've read Hezekiah?

I just checked, and the original essay is correct. My coffee this morning is FULL of dihydrogen monoxide!Well, I'm doing my part - I'm filtering it out of my coffee, cup by cup.

JAE said:
Has he ever asked anyone if they've read Hezekiah?

I'm not sure. I can tell you that I've been asked if it's in the Old or New Testament.

For those who are now wondering about the answer, it's neither.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."
--Abraham Lincoln​

Not to hi-jack or anything...does anyone know how to find out if Abraham Lincoln really said that or not? I have heard that quote attributed to more than one person & wondered which was right!!

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

You're worried about a hijack in a thread that already has three different conversations in it?BTW - I tend to believe the oldest attribution is closest to correct. I've seen Mary Kay Ash attributed to quotes that I know were attributed to Henry Ford. (I suspect he stole them from someone, too.)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You're worried about a hijack in a thread that already has three different conversations in it?

Not really but it made me sound like I was nice & polite!!

How refreshing - manners!:DOf course, Manners was a butler.
manners_butler.jpg
ETA: Hey! Look what I found! YouTube - Kleenex table napkins - manners the butler(I hope the Marlboro pack at the beginning of the loop isn't subliminal advertising!)

Last edited:
Well one thing about quoting other people. I know President Bush will not get quoted...for several of his sayings but the one the really got me was his no child left behind (don't get me started on that one) comment. "It just goes to show that childrens can learn."

Well, don't get me started on Al Gore claiming to invent the Internet......Hey, wonder if he wants to ban dihydrogen monoxide - would love to see a reporter ask him that question...he-he-he - now THAT would be funny!

I think that the Pres also referred to the internet as "internets" Maybe Al invented one of the other ones?!?!
The most infamous one was P-O-T-A-T-O-E!!

Well, that Bush-ism is actually debatable on its truth. Earlier smaller subnetworks or private networks that we now call intranets were called internets. He may have heard it somewhere in his past, or slipped up. Either way, it was more material for SNL.

All I know is when I'm tired, I have plenty of Janetisms! :)

janetupnorth said:
Well, don't get me started on Al Gore claiming to invent the Internet...

...Hey, wonder if he wants to ban dihydrogen monoxide - would love to see a reporter ask him that question...he-he-he - now THAT would be funny!

I bet he would fall hook, line & sinker due to his "concern" on global warming~there's another subject the msm won't let go of!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I'm sorry, Ann, but that was the whole point. (Kudos to Becky for either researching this first or recognizing the hoax.) The essay was written by a junior high school student, Nathan Zohner, in 1997. His subsequent research on the statistical outcome of the people who signed his petition proved how gullible well-meaning people can be. 43 out of 50 people signed a petition to ban water and his research won him first prize in a science fair.

In recognition of his experiment, journalist James K. Glassman coined the term "Zohnerism" to refer to "the use of a true fact to lead a scientifically and mathematically ignorant public to a false conclusion."

So whether it's popcorn poisoning, ethanol, artificial sweeteners or man-made global warming, be sure you know what you're talking about before you jump on any bandwagon.

Remember this thread? Did you feel a little...uncomfortable...at wanting to jump on the band wagon?

Watch Penn & Teller on YouTube, getting joiners to sign without asking questions.

Tee-hee-hee...I want to start a petition to require lifeguards at the gene pool.

Do you really want to have to be the guard for that pool?

katie0128 said:
Do you really want to have to be the guard for that pool?

Nope, I'm too busy, we'll hire someone... ;)

If you can't fix stupid, maybe you should at least control it.

oooo... you're postin' in stealth mode... sneaky!

katie0128 said:
oooo... you're postin' in stealth mode... sneaky!

I've had that on so long that I forgot it was on...

What is stealth mode??And I loved that video, KG. That guy at the end was kind of cute - too bad he was from the shallow end of the gene pool. ;)

"Stealth mode" is marking yourself as showing logged off when you're really logged on.Like me.

Oh, thanks for the info... That's kind of neat.

janetupnorth said:
Tee-hee-hee...

I want to start a petition to require lifeguards at the gene pool.

Janet - that's hysterical!!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Remember this thread? Did you feel a little...uncomfortable...at wanting to jump on the band wagon?

Watch Penn & Teller on YouTube, getting joiners to sign without asking questions.

I watched that episode of Penn & Teller's Bull$h_t...it was funny how people think they know what's going on.

What's really funny/scary is the way people get really riled up about things they know absolutely nothing about.

raebates said:
What's really funny/scary is the way people get really riled up about things they know absolutely nothing about.

Or specifically say, "I know what it is" when they don't!

Oh, yeah. Love those.

<h2>1. What is dihydrogen monoxide?</h2><p>Dihydrogen monoxide is a chemical compound that is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. It is often referred to as H2O or water.</p><h2>2. How does dihydrogen monoxide pose a danger to humans?</h2><p>Accidental inhalation of DHMO can lead to severe health issues such as excessive sweating, urination, and electrolyte imbalance. Prolonged exposure to its solid form can also cause tissue damage. In extreme cases, withdrawal from DHMO dependence can result in death.</p><h2>3. What are some common uses of dihydrogen monoxide?</h2><p>Dihydrogen monoxide has a wide range of uses, including as an industrial solvent and coolant, in nuclear power plants, in the production of styrofoam, and as a fire retardant. It is also found in many food products and is used in the distribution of pesticides.</p><h2>4. Is dihydrogen monoxide harmful to the environment?</h2><p>Yes, DHMO can contribute to the erosion of natural landscapes, accelerate corrosion and rusting of metals, and cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes. It has also been found in high levels in bodies of water, leading to contamination and harm to wildlife.</p><h2>5. Why hasn't the American government banned the use of dihydrogen monoxide?</h2><p>The government has not banned DHMO due to its importance to the economy, especially in the military sector. It is also used in many everyday products, making it difficult to completely eliminate. However, there have been efforts to raise awareness about its potential dangers and regulate its use in certain industries.</p>

1. What is dihydrogen monoxide?

Dihydrogen monoxide is a chemical compound that is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. It is often referred to as H2O or water.

2. How does dihydrogen monoxide pose a danger to humans?

Accidental inhalation of DHMO can lead to severe health issues such as excessive sweating, urination, and electrolyte imbalance. Prolonged exposure to its solid form can also cause tissue damage. In extreme cases, withdrawal from DHMO dependence can result in death.

3. What are some common uses of dihydrogen monoxide?

Dihydrogen monoxide has a wide range of uses, including as an industrial solvent and coolant, in nuclear power plants, in the production of styrofoam, and as a fire retardant. It is also found in many food products and is used in the distribution of pesticides.

4. Is dihydrogen monoxide harmful to the environment?

Yes, DHMO can contribute to the erosion of natural landscapes, accelerate corrosion and rusting of metals, and cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes. It has also been found in high levels in bodies of water, leading to contamination and harm to wildlife.

5. Why hasn't the American government banned the use of dihydrogen monoxide?

The government has not banned DHMO due to its importance to the economy, especially in the military sector. It is also used in many everyday products, making it difficult to completely eliminate. However, there have been efforts to raise awareness about its potential dangers and regulate its use in certain industries.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• scottcooks
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Jean DeVries
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
  • heather9892