• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

New Oven Causes Carbon Monoxide Scare: Propane Pressure and Safety Concerns

In summary, the oven was new and the smoke detectors went off. The carbon monoxide detector was still 'screaming'. The pressure was set too low and the installation instructions said it should be between 11 and 14 inches of water column pressure. Today, I called the propane company and found out that the pressure should be at 12 inches
byrd1956
Gold Member
As some of you may know my range of over 25 years bit the dust, so we got a new one. Once my DH had it in I tried the stovetop burners....the flame seemed high even on the lowest setting, but hey, it is new. Decided to break in the oven w/slice n' bakes on the bar pan. The oven instructions said an odor would be emitted when the oven was first used. Boy was it bad.:yuck:..my eyes watered and I felt like I was gona end up w/a headache. After the pre-heat time is seemed like it smelled less bad.... About 3 min. before the timer was to go off the 'smoke detectors' went off. :eek: Didn't see any smoke, but could not get the things to stop. DH was fanning the ceiling like mad (wearing green ear plugs). Finally he unhooked the SD off the ceiling and then had to take the batteries out to get it to stop. What's this? Its was not the SD, it was the Carbon Monoxide Detector and it was still 'screaming'. The thing has never read anything but 00 and DH said it was reading 230. He said we had to get clothes on and call the fire dept. (Newspaper headlines: Couples death ruled Chocolate Chip Cookie Homocide") Got changed, but didn't call FD....opened all the windows and doors and put on all the fans. The CMD numbers began dropping. DH said he thinks he needs to adjust the propane flow. The installation instructions said the pressure is suppose to be set between 11 and 14 inches WCP. Today I called the Propane Co.and asked what our tank's flow pressure was set at and the lady told me they were not tech support. I told her the # I called was the only one I had. She was gone for some time then told me to google propane pressure and I would find what the pressure was. I repeated I needed to know what it was for our tank. She said she didn't know and that if I googles it I would find out the required pressure and they set the pressures with that. (Ok, do you think I found my answer through a google??):confused: I think the lady I was talking to is out of her mind! Anyone out there saavy to any of this?

Sorry, I am no help - I use electric:)!

My CMD went off when I sprayed sun screen on my son the other day though! Warning to everyone, don't spray that stuff in the house!

A few things I do know - make sure you keep the air flow throughout the night. Exposure to 230 will give you guys a good headache, fatigue and a few other things. Make sure you keep that sensor on!Your propane tank should go from that into a regulator mounted on the house. It should be coming in at the proper rate. If not, THE PROPANE COMPANY SHOULD BE TAKING CARE OF YOU!!!!It shouldn't be regulated at each appliance? I may be wrong but I"m pretty sure on that!Look for that regulator off your tank...

A few things I do know - make sure you keep the air flow throughout the night. Exposure to 230 will give you guys a good headache, fatigue and a few other things. Make sure you keep that sensor on!

Your propane tank should go from that into a regulator mounted on the house. It should be coming in at the proper rate. If not, THE PROPANE COMPANY SHOULD BE TAKING CARE OF YOU!!!!

It shouldn't be regulated at each appliance? I may be wrong but I"m pretty sure on that!

Look for that regulator off your tank...

pampchefrhondab said:
Sorry, I am no help - I use electric:)!

My CMD went off when I sprayed sun screen on my son the other day though! Warning to everyone, don't spray that stuff in the house!

Yeah, room sprays set them off too! Had to teach my mom that!

Wow, crazy! We had the Sears guys set ours up just for this fact. I've used gas stoves before but didn't want to mess with hooking it up myself.

Robyn, since you knew from where the gas leak was coming, this doesn't apply to you.

For everyone else, if you experience a gas leak, DO NOT OPEN THE WINDOWS AND DOORS, except to leave the vicinity. My sister did this, and by the time the fire department got there they were unable to locate the source of the leak.

Robyn, I tried to Google the info for you, but you're right, it's not out there. Maybe you can call your local utility company?

Sarah

Thanks for all the comments. Sarah, I think I will call the Propane Co. again tomorrow, early and hope they can connect me to some tech person. My DH was too busy tonight fixing the roof (from the big storm early this morn) to even think about looking into the propane problem.

The propane company is responsible for this.I detected a gas odor at the church one night, even The Kat Lady detected the odor and she doesn't smell too good, ;) so we tried to call the gas company. Of course, the operator intercepted the call and rolled out the volunteer fire department. Long story short, the gas company tech used his little sniffer and found a pinhole leak in the flex tube that feeds the range in the kitchen. Turns out people had been catching the faint odor of gas for a long time, but the pinhole never allowed enough pressure to build up, it even dispersed from the fire department tramping around.Gas is nothing to fool around with, though, and it sounds to me like the regulator is set wide open or isn't functioning properly. If you get the same dimwit on the phone, ask for her supervisor.

The Kat Lady doesn't smell to good? Maybe you should get her some of Rae's Roses.

1. How does "Loosing More Brain Cells" affect our cognitive abilities?

"Loosing More Brain Cells" can lead to a decline in cognitive abilities such as memory, concentration, and problem-solving skills. This can result in difficulty performing tasks, making decisions, and learning new information.

2. Is "Loosing More Brain Cells" a natural part of aging?

Yes, "Loosing More Brain Cells" is a natural part of the aging process. However, certain lifestyle factors such as poor nutrition, lack of exercise, and chronic stress can also contribute to the loss of brain cells.

3. Can "Loosing More Brain Cells" be prevented?

While the natural process of losing brain cells cannot be prevented, there are steps you can take to slow down the process and maintain brain health. This includes staying physically active, eating a balanced diet, engaging in mentally stimulating activities, and managing stress.

4. What are the long-term effects of "Loosing More Brain Cells"?

The long-term effects of "Loosing More Brain Cells" can include an increased risk of developing dementia or other neurological disorders. It can also lead to difficulties with daily activities and a decreased quality of life.

5. Are there any foods or supplements that can help prevent "Loosing More Brain Cells"?

While there is no specific food or supplement that can prevent the loss of brain cells, a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and healthy fats can support brain health. Some studies have also shown that certain nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants may have a protective effect on brain cells.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• byrd1956
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
Replies
Views
pamperedalf
  • ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies