• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Toaster or Toaster Oven - Which Should I Get and Why?

have 5 toasters in 7 years and every darn one ends up being a piece of junk! They end up not toasting without putting it all the way to the darkest setting or having to toast it twice, and I'm so fed up. I've tried Sunbeam, Black & Decker and other models I can't remember. Prices between $30 and $100 and still no luck!Dh took it upon himself to pick me up a new one today since it was 'only $25' even though I'm not really needing another one. Mine hasn't toasted properly for a year now (and I've only had it 1 1/2 years) so why replace it now? He says it was
kcjodih
Gold Member
What brand of toaster do you have and do you like it? Or do you have a toaster oven and prefer that instead?

I've had 5, yes 5, toasters in 7 years and every darn one ends up being a piece of junk! They end up not toasting without putting it all the way to the darkest setting or having to toast it twice, and I'm so fed up. I've tried Sunbeam, Black & Decker and other models I can't remember. Prices between $30 and $100 and still no luck!

Dh took it upon himself to pick me up a new one today since it was 'only $25' even though I'm not really needing another one. Mine hasn't toasted properly for a year now (and I've only had it 1 1/2 years) so why replace it now? He says it was a 'great deal'. I said don't open the box until I ask opinions on toasters that actually TOAST longer than 6 months that also have the wider slots for bagels. Or maybe I need a toaster oven (although I hate things on my counter and can't see lugging that out everyday)

So what works for you?

I LOVE my Toaster oven! I make toast and also my kids chicken nuggets and fries in it, corndogs, reheat pizza in it etc! I couldn't imagine not having one! I'll have to go check the brand but it's at least 5 years old I think!

Hmm...I just reheat pizza a few minutes in the oven on convection or use my microwave...still not sure about the toaster oven but I sure am glad to hear it's lasted THAT long. It might be worth it just for that!

toaster ovens are where it's at if you ask me!
toasters are a multi-tasker as Alton would say ;)toaster ovens can do everything - pizza, toast, twice baked taters, brownies... anything!I think mine is a Black & Decker and we've had it for close to 4 years I think.

Heather...I was looking at a toaster oven recently...how do you make toast in them. (Sorry...that sounds IGNORANT!!) Do you just put it on the tray and it toasts both sides?

Jodi...I am in the same boat as you are! The one I have right now was about $50 and for the past few months, only one side toasts at all, and even then it's erratic. One time it toasts nicely, the next time I have to do it twice. What a PITA.

I DO keep mine out on the counter, since it's a 4 slicer and I don't have the cupboard room to put it away. Plus, DH would NEVER put it back anyhow! lol

you just put it on the rack for toast - the tray is for baking stuff
and the mini bar pan is perfect for toaster ovens!

My mini bar pan lives in there, it's my most seasoned stone! :) But I do take it out when I am toasting anything, just lay it on the rack as Lindsay said. It toasts boths sides!

KellyTheChef said:
Heather...I was looking at a toaster oven recently...how do you make toast in them. (Sorry...that sounds IGNORANT!!) Do you just put it on the tray and it toasts both sides?

Jodi...I am in the same boat as you are! The one I have right now was about $50 and for the past few months, only one side toasts at all, and even then it's erratic. One time it toasts nicely, the next time I have to do it twice. What a PITA.

I DO keep mine out on the counter, since it's a 4 slicer and I don't have the cupboard room to put it away.
Plus, DH would NEVER put it back anyhow! lol

Kelly, mine only toasts toast on one side too! I have to flip the bread around. But bagels on the bagel button toast one side only but not enough unless I toast it twice.

Mine's a 4 slicer too but it goes in my pantry when I'm done. I only have my TTA, coffee pot and kettle on my counter and a silver cannister set. Sounds like alot but I have a really long wrap around counter with just 2 things on either end. So I do have room for a toaster oven on my counter if I end up getting one, just not convinced I'll use it for anything other than toast and bagels. I already have a convection oven I hardly ever use....

Ahhh...now I get it!

I have never owned a toaster oven, so I was looking for the slots for the toast when I was looking at them the other day! Duh!

I think I got rid of my small bar pan, cuz I never used it! If I get a toaster oven, I am gonna have to get another one so I can use it in there!

If you're looking for something versatile, get a toaster oven! They toast, and they're great for things that you want to bake without having to heat up the big oven (like baking 2 biscuits - can't bake properly in the microwave!). Do some research online and read reviews of current models. DH and I have a Black and Decker - we got it as a wedding present (14 years ago) and it's still going strong.

Okay, I just checked my toaster in the pantry and it's a Kenmore and the one still in the box is a Black & Decker. So they're name brand toasters but never work worth a darn for long :mad:

toasters s*ck

I've been through a few now and always have to twice toast them to get them looking like they've been toasted.

I've tried a few brands and spend $10 - $50 and nada... I even had one catch on fire while toasting it the second time....

I was at work and a everything bagel caught on fire. I thought I was seeing things and left the room, when I returned to the room because of the burning smell it had doubled in size...

I'm an air head at times. my boss was an ex cop so he banned me from buying everything bagel, and twice toasting things :D

His mom was visiting his office and she had seen the lower setting I had set on so she changed it to a higher setting, so when it had popped up i just pushed it down for the double toast and then it caught on fire... so it's all the mom's fault :)

I have a toaster and my BF has a toaster oven. He also has my mini bar ban. He LOVES the stone and can't imagine how he managed without it.

I have had my current toaster for 1.5 years and the only reason I got a new one was b/c it sits on my counter and I wanted a black one. I sold my white one in a yard sale since it still worked great.

My toaster is made by Fostoria (who ever heard of them??) I've had it for 30 yrs. and it was my aunts before that. It still works great! I also have a toaster oven and totally love it, Black and Decker; I've had it for probably 25 years and it still works great. I've never used it for toast though, just the toaster. My only complaint is all these things, including my microwave take up too much of the counter space.

Hey Jodi! Target (not sure if you have one in Canada) has one that's a toaster and a toaster oven. Let me see if I can link it. It's also on sale this week (well just for the remainder of today) for $35.
http://www.target.com/Hamilton-Beach-Toastation-Black/dp/B000Z59AUQ/sr=1-4/qid=1219495706/ref=sr_1_4/601-9272980-9448114?ie=UTF8&rh=k%3Ahamilton%20beach%20toastation&page=1

Since the day I was on my own, I only had Toaster Ovens. Then I met DH and he HAD to have a toaster. So we have BOTH taking up counter space! I wish I could convince him to ditch the toaster, but no such luck!

The only good thing is that we can be making breakfast at the same time.

But, really, a toaster oven is SO much more versatile. Anytime you have something small and don't want to heat the oven, the toaster oven is the way to go! And you can broil in it too.

I had a Black & Decker that lasted for about 10+ years and now I have a Cuisinart. I am pretty happy with it. I did love my B&D (I can't remember why I got rid of it - I think it was starting to look beat up and was finally not toasting as well as it used to.)

I have very little room and pretty much always have... so a toaster oven is a godsend. It's versatile and way more multi-functional than a toaster. It's easier to clean too. In my toaster oven I can bake, roast and broil. I've even used it to bake up Sculpey clay things. I love my toaster oven and have even used it as my only oven when I had a tiny apartment without an oven. Oh and it makes toast too. LOL...

I haven't read everyone elses responses but I will say that I LOVE a toaster oven! We always had one when I was a kid and I had one for 5 years before we moved the last time. I had a Black & Decker that mounted under a counter it was great, although DH had to fix it twice.

I used it for so much! Love that the small bar pan fits in it. I would do 1 or 2 small chicken breasts instead of heating up the kitchen.

As for regular toast I like the toaster oven way better than my toaster which is 12 yeas old and always been a bit flakey.

Ohhh... I forgot it is the best for reheating pizza! Nice and crispy. I hate nuked pizza!

1. What are the main differences between a toaster and a toaster oven?

A toaster is a small appliance that is specifically designed for toasting bread and bagels. It typically has 2 slots for placing bread and uses heating elements to toast the bread evenly on both sides. On the other hand, a toaster oven is a larger appliance that can perform multiple functions such as toasting, baking, broiling, and even roasting. It has a larger interior space and uses both heating elements and a fan for more even cooking.

2. Which one is better for toasting bread?

Both a toaster and a toaster oven can effectively toast bread, but it ultimately depends on personal preference. A toaster is more convenient for toasting a single slice of bread or a bagel, while a toaster oven is better for toasting larger quantities or thicker slices of bread. Additionally, some toaster ovens have a special "toast" function that allows you to adjust the browning level to your liking.

3. Can I use a toaster oven to make toast?

Yes, you can use a toaster oven to make toast. Simply place the bread on the oven rack and select the "toast" function. However, keep in mind that it may take longer to toast compared to a traditional toaster.

4. What other functions can a toaster oven perform?

A toaster oven can perform a variety of functions, including baking, broiling, roasting, and even reheating leftovers. Some models also come with additional features such as convection cooking, which uses a fan to circulate hot air for faster and more even cooking.

5. Which one is more suitable for a small kitchen?

If you have limited counter space, a toaster would be a better option as it is smaller and more compact. However, if you are looking for a multi-functional appliance that can also toast, a toaster oven may be a better choice as it can save space by replacing other kitchen appliances.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KellyTheChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
erinyourpclady
Replies
Views
raebates
  • Jennie4PC
  • General Chat
Replies