• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Microwave Chip Maker- Claims Another "Victim"

In summary, people are having problems with their microwaves, including the one that this author has. The author is worried about the future of the product, as it is a product that needs adult supervision and careful attention to the product use and care.
esavvymom
Staff member
Well, I seem to be one of the unlucky ones with the MCM.

Our microwave no longer heats anything. :grumpy: And since hearing a "pop" while trying to heat something, we stopped using it. But I made chips last week (about 2 small potatoes worth- 5-6 trays), and since then, it won't heat a thing. My DH reheats his coffee...he said after 6-7 minutes, it was barely lukewarm. I told him to stop using it, it was obviously ka-poot!

As I was doing the chips, I had noticed it was taking longer and longer to get the same results (used to, it would take less and less as the microwave got HOT). This time, the microwave wasn't as hot to the touch as times past....so it must have been dying then.

I'll be calling repairs guys out this week to get a final diagnosis. I'm PRAYING it can be fixed, because it is a wall-unit that is combined with my OVEN...the controls are all together. I cannot afford to have to replace the whole dang thing!! I already have a freezer that died and need to replace that soon. My Dishwasher isn't working right, but I think it can be fixed (not PC's fault. :D).

But once I find out for sure, I'll email PC to let them know. I don't know how many folks are still having this issue, but it's not a product I normally talk much about anyway because it isn't a favorite and I knew about others having microwave issues, and especially now!

I don't talk about it at all. I had a very close family friend wanting to order it & I discouraged her & told her about all these issues. I'm surprised it's still in the catalog. Sorry girl! I hope that PC covers the repair.

I'm not holding out or really even expecting PC to cover repair costs, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if they DO. :D I mainly wanted to email them so they are aware of this product issue.

I've never had any issues with mine or have heard of any issues from my customers

I haven't had any problems with mine and I use it all the time. I sell a lot of them, so far so one has complained.

This is the first I have heard of this as well. I thought my microwave was the slowest but you've got me beat.

I demo this at every show and sell them all of the time with no complaints so I hope HO doesn't discontinue it. Also will sell the Simple Slicer along with it. Sorry to hear you are having these issues.

Sheila said:
I don't talk about it at all. I had a very close family friend wanting to order it & I discouraged her & told her about all these issues. I'm surprised it's still in the catalog.

Sorry girl! I hope that PC covers the repair.

I don't either. When someone asks me about it, I explain that it is a product that needs adult supervision and careful attention to the product use & care. If I'm afraid to use it, I'm not confident in selling it to anyone else.

When people ask about it I tell them that it is very particular to each microwave and they might have to practice a bit to find the perfect settings. I say people either love it or hate it. I also tell them that I was frustrated with trying it myself but the a consultant on my team used it in MY microwave and every batch came out perfect so it is partly user error I guess... It is their choice whether to buy it or not. I do have to say I haven't had anyone who did buy it complain and when we talk about it at shows everyone who has one says they love it.

I have had 2 customers loose microwaves due to this and one actually caught my chip maker on fire but luckily didn't catch their kitchen on fire.............it was one of the under the cabinet built in microwaves and PC would only allow each one of the cases $50..I am scared of them also and don't really mention them at my shows!

I'm leery of the chip makers, too, from reading the issues here on this board.
After trying them once, I decided they are really time-consuming for the end result. That's all I tell my customers when they ask about it. That you wouldn't want to feed a crowd using them, because it'd take you all day.

I've never been able to get mine to work right either and believe me i have TRIED!!! I am thinking of trying again....but then maybe not now....

I've only sold a couple and I am VERY quick to point out that it is trial and error as everyone's microwave is different!!!!

I hope you get it all settled soon!

I am very CAREFUL when using mine.

I only cook for 30 seconds at a time...open the door and let the heat out (sometimes I "fan it"). Then start another 20-30 seconds. Stop and open and fan again.

I can't believe the amount of heat and steam that builds up using it in only 30 seconds.

I am wondering if it is the extreme heat build up that causes the problems.

My microwave doesn't seem to build up the heat until after several batches.

kam said:
I am very CAREFUL when using mine.

I only cook for 30 seconds at a time...open the door and let the heat out (sometimes I "fan it"). Then start another 20-30 seconds. Stop and open and fan again.

I can't believe the amount of heat and steam that builds up using it in only 30 seconds.

I am wondering if it is the extreme heat build up that causes the problems.

That's a lot of work for a small number of chips. :) But you almost HAVE to do it that way!

I haven't had any trouble with mine, but my microwave is newer and it releases heat on the back and from the top. I can't have anything sitting on the top of it or it gets hot. I made three full batches all in a row the other day. They took about 6 -7 min. per batch.

I made these tonight and made about 10 single tray batches. (I found it harder to make them usuing both trays at one time.) The microwave was hot and I have to decrease the time as I make more because of the trays and microwave getting hot. I have never had any issues.

esavvymom said:
That's a lot of work for a small number of chips. :) But you almost HAVE to do it that way!

Yes, it takes FOREVER...not to mention standing at the microwave the whole time.

I did some Kale chips on our metal pan in the oven last night. 10 minutes no fuss. Once in and once out. Easy peasy. I am wondering if I can do the potato chips in the oven.

Even though the microwave only takes 5-6 minutes, the way I am doing them takes WAY longer than that - plus I am tied up dealing with it. If I can get the potato chips done in the oven I do not think I will go back to the microwave.

It is a shame since I SO wanted to love the Chip Maker, but it is not worth possibly messing up my microwave.

I've done potato chips on a stone in the past.

BethCooks4U said:
I've done potato chips on a stone in the past.

Thank you! I will have to try it tonight when I get home.

awjacks1105 said:
I have had 2 customers loose microwaves due to this and one actually caught my chip maker on fire but luckily didn't catch their kitchen on fire.............it was one of the under the cabinet built in microwaves and PC would only allow each one of the cases $50..I am scared of them also and don't really mention them at my shows!

Wow, sorry to hear of these happenings. My microwave is over the stove and under the small cupboards above and no turn table. And I have used them in every kind of microwave at parties. The low wattage ones take longer. I let people know if they want to make them ahead to make sure they store them in a paper bag. In high humidity, this may be a problem, however.

Many of my customers like it for a healthy snack option for them and their kids. You certainly can't turn out the volume of bag full of chips but people see this.

I am sure that having a customer calling me telling me that their microwave was on fire and ruined their microwave would make us all leary. Not doubting anyone's experience at all.

1. Can the Microwave Chip Maker really make crispy chips in the microwave?

Yes, the Microwave Chip Maker uses special silicone trays and a patented design to evenly distribute heat and create crispy chips in the microwave.

2. Is it safe to use the Microwave Chip Maker in the microwave?

Yes, the Microwave Chip Maker is made with food-safe silicone and has been rigorously tested for safe use in the microwave. Just be sure to follow the instructions and use caution when handling the hot tray.

3. How long does it take to make chips in the Microwave Chip Maker?

The cooking time will vary depending on the type of potato used and the wattage of your microwave, but on average it takes about 5-6 minutes to make a batch of chips in the Microwave Chip Maker.

4. Can I make chips with other vegetables besides potatoes?

Yes, the Microwave Chip Maker can be used to make crispy chips with various vegetables such as zucchini, sweet potatoes, and carrots. Just make sure to slice them thinly for best results.

5. How do I clean the Microwave Chip Maker?

The Microwave Chip Maker is dishwasher safe, but can also be easily cleaned with warm soapy water and a non-abrasive sponge. Make sure to dry it thoroughly before storing it away.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jennie50
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
gfreechef
  • LoriLions
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
Replies