• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Can I Handle This Situation?

In summary, a consultant said she would be late for a call but showed up on time because the consultant told her that he would. The consultant e-mailed out the times for the customer care calls but the consultant never received the e-mail until 12:32pm. The consultant said she was offended by the e-mail and said she can do the call on Monday.
finley1991
It's not really that big of a deal but I'd like some input...

I am running the Step Up Your Biz program. I am doing my darndest to *get them* to take some ownership of their businesses. I'm not e-mailing them the play sheets and other things (even though they asked...), I told them where they could find them on CC. Really, is it that hard to go there and get it? I think that some of them are being lazy about it.

Like I mentioned the other day, there was one consultant who told me she would be late for the 9pm call as she would be getting her 1yro & 3yo to bed. She was on the call on time because I told her that I would be starting on time as we had a lot to cover.

I e-mailed out the times for the customer care calls for everyone to listen in. Of course none of the times would work for her so she asked if I could do it at noon on Thursday. I e-mailed her on Wednesday saying Thursday at noon would work (and I rearranged some things to make the call with her). Never heard back and no call at noon on Thursday. I e-mailed her on Thursday the following:

Hi xxx,

I sent the e-mail below to you yesterday and didn't hear back from you regarding the best number to call you... I'm guessing we are not on the call today. You did say in your e-mail that this would be a good time and I am a bit disappointed as I did adjusted my schedule today to accommodate you.

Please understand that I am doing these calls with several consultants and rescheduling is difficult, especially when I am making an exception to work it in your schedule like you asked.

The only other time I have open that will fit your schedule is Monday at noon. Please let me know as soon as possible if this will work for you and the best number to reach you on at noon. Thanks very much

She e-mails me this morning saying that she never got my e-mail until 12:32pm (didn't mention the original e-mail the day before) and that she didn't respond to me because she was VERY OFFENDED. She said that she can do the call on Monday as of now so we will see.

I guess I'm just wondering if I handled this poorly or not... I'm just feeling so jerked around by her and listening to ALL of the excuses as to why she can't do any PC and listening to the whining that she really wants to and needs the $$$$...

You didn't say anything out of line. This fits right in with the thread about manners that was just on CS. People think the world revolves around only them and how dare you even tell them that they made you be inconvenienced (that you had to reschedule for them). Instead of being offended she should be apologetic and grateful.

Consider the source. You are still offering her extra time from you at a time she says is good for her. What more can you do?

Thanks Beth... you're right! I am just so frustrated about this situation and I don't want my frustration to cause me to handle this poorly!

Colleen, what is her history with submitting sales? Is she a large producer/recruiter? I only ask because I was told by upper level Directors and HO Sales Managers that you should give your time and energy to producers. If they don't produce, they don't get your time. Period. If they want to hear from you, they will produce or at the very least make the effort to be in contact.Just a thought....good luck with the Monday call !

I agree with Janice. I only make exceptions or bend my schedule around brand new consultants and my producers. The others get as much effort out of me as THEY put into THEIR business.

Thanks Janice & Jenni! You're both right and this is another area where I am conflicted... she did great her first month... $2500 (in Feb) and then for some reason, has done the $150 every other month since. I know I should spend my time with the producers and I do... she has expressed interest in bumping up her biz... but at this point it's all talk and ZERO action and accountability on her part. I guess I'm just having a hard time putting into words to her what I need to get across... like *do something!!!!*

I have a few of those too Colleen. They say one thing and do another. Their actions speak louder than their words.... once they actually perform again I put the effort back in.

pcjenni said:
once they actually perform again I put the effort back in.

How do you say that to them? This is where I am frustrated... she keeps asking for help but then doesn't do anything with what we work on together...

finley1991 said:
How do you say that to them? This is where I am frustrated... she keeps asking for help but then doesn't do anything with what we work on together...

Tell her that you want her to succeed so when she does _________ (whatever "homework" you give her) she should call you and you can then help her with the next step.

If she calls and hasn't done the work then tell her that it really needs to be done to get to the next step. As her if she understood what she needed to do (give her 5-10 minutes) and then urge her to do it and then call you again.

Hopefully she'll get the hint. If not maybe you need to be more blunt and say that she sounds so determined to make it work but that her results don't show that she's making the effort and ask her what she should do. Don't "give" her the answers.

bethcooks4u said:
Tell her that you want her to succeed so when she does _________ (whatever "homework" you give her) she should call you and you can then help her with the next step.

If she calls and hasn't done the work then tell her that it really needs to be done to get to the next step. As her if she understood what she needed to do (give her 5-10 minutes) and then urge her to do it and then call you again.

Hopefully she'll get the hint. If not maybe you need to be more blunt and say that she sounds so determined to make it work but that her results don't show that she's making the effort and ask her what she should do. Don't "give" her the answers.

Thanks! Those are great words and I will use them.

I realize that I've posted this situation several times in my career as a director and hoping one day to get it!!!!!! :pray:

I'll let you know what happens!

Colleen, you have twisted and turned yourself like a pretzel. My upper level director has to remind me of the "work with the willing" phrase. In my day job we expect "xyz" from an employee because it has to get done to keep the business running correctly. Sometimes switching to the coaching role is tough for me and I too have to remember the great wording expressed above.

You did a great job expressing to her that you are still willing to coach her and letting her know she needs to show up for practice so she knows how to play the game better. Kudos to you!:chef:

Beth, well said! I know that my Exec told me once that if she had a coahing call with a downline who told her they didn't do what they agreed on during their LAST call, she would say:

"you know, why don't you just use this time we had for this call to do that? We really can't go forward until you have completed the last deed. I only have limited time for coaching and there are others who need help but are on a waiting list for my time."

Thanks everyone for all of the great words! I got an e-mail from her again last night and it seems that some kind of fire has been lit... she says that she has some shows now so we will see! I really appreciate all of your help! It seems that my brain turns to mush when I face these situations! :p

You know, Colleen I am so glad you posted this. Sorry you went through it, but glad you posted. I have such a tough time with my team, RSVP'ing for anything, returning anything I ask them to return in writing, yada yada. I am just now starting coaching calls with them because they just don't step up. Part of this is the California mentality--"yeah, whatever...". I planned on coaching them in their calls on being responsible, responding to me, etc. So I had 8 consultants that wanted coaching calls, I sent out snail mail letters with postcards that I (seriously) pre-stamped and addressed back, all they had to do was check off the time they wanted. Yeah, I got back 3. So the idea of doing this game thing, although it looks fun, is overwhelming to me right now. So I am really grateful for these words because I am just going to start the coaching thing for now and offer the game to anyne who wants to in October. We'll see. But thanks for having the guts to ask the questions I was thinking about asking! I too have a couple of those consultants....

Nanisu said:
You know, Colleen I am so glad you posted this. Sorry you went through it, but glad you posted. I have such a tough time with my team, RSVP'ing for anything, returning anything I ask them to return in writing, yada yada. I am just now starting coaching calls with them because they just don't step up. Part of this is the California mentality--"yeah, whatever...". I planned on coaching them in their calls on being responsible, responding to me, etc. So I had 8 consultants that wanted coaching calls, I sent out snail mail letters with postcards that I (seriously) pre-stamped and addressed back, all they had to do was check off the time they wanted. Yeah, I got back 3. So the idea of doing this game thing, although it looks fun, is overwhelming to me right now. So I am really grateful for these words because I am just going to start the coaching thing for now and offer the game to anyne who wants to in October. We'll see. But thanks for having the guts to ask the questions I was thinking about asking! I too have a couple of those consultants....
Thanks! I lived in southern CA for 8 years so I understand the laid back mentality... doesn't explain their behavior here in MI though!! :DI did a survey once through Survey Monkey and basically the feedback I got was they they all wanted to earn $1k+ a month without doing shows. 90% expressed zero desire in attending meetings/trainings. It is what it is.With that, I am growing my team through my personal recruiting and working with those... I've been given some great words to use that I have in my arsenal for when I'm ready thanks to everyone here!My plan is to just keep growing... the reality is is that I'm never going to promote up with only 12 people actively working so I need more in the pool to draw from. I'm signing 1 this week and have 2 more that I'm working with to get going. It will happen... but sometimes patience isn't my strongest quality! :p

finley1991 said:
laid back mentality
I think that mentality is the same all over, but I think it is from people not believing in themselves and/or the "it's too hard if it doesn't come easy" way of thinking.

finley1991 said:
but sometimes patience isn't my strongest quality! :p

You are not the only one that has this!!! There are some in my family that are described as having the patience of a dead knat!!! No doubt that is in my blood too!!:D

1. How do I handle a burnt dish during a cooking demonstration?

To handle a burnt dish during a cooking demonstration, first, don't panic. It happens to even the most experienced chefs. You can try to salvage the dish by scraping off the burnt parts and adding some extra seasoning to cover up the taste. If it's beyond repair, be honest with your audience and use it as a teaching moment to remind them of the importance of monitoring cooking time and temperature.

2. What should I do if a guest has a food allergy?

If a guest has a food allergy, it's important to take it seriously and make accommodations. Before the demonstration, ask if anyone has any food allergies or dietary restrictions. If someone does, try to have alternative ingredients on hand or modify the recipe accordingly. During the demonstration, be mindful of cross-contamination and inform the guest of any potential allergens in the dishes being prepared.

3. How do I handle a guest who is not satisfied with their purchase?

If a guest is not satisfied with their purchase, it's important to first listen to their concerns and empathize with them. Offer to exchange the product or provide a refund according to the company's policy. If they are not satisfied with the resolution, offer to connect them with our customer service team for further assistance.

4. What should I do if I accidentally break a product during the demonstration?

If you accidentally break a product during the demonstration, apologize to your audience and continue with the demonstration. Afterward, inform your host and offer to replace the broken product. If the product is not replaceable, offer a discount or an alternative product as a gesture of goodwill.

5. How do I handle a disruptive or rude guest during a demonstration?

If a guest is being disruptive or rude during a demonstration, it's important to address the behavior calmly and professionally. Politely remind them of the rules and expectations of the demonstration and try to redirect their attention back to the presentation. If the behavior continues, inform your host and ask for their assistance in managing the situation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• finley1991
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
chefheidi2003
Replies
Views
finley1991
  • finley1991
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies