• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with a Persistent Customer | How to Handle Unwanted Calls and Delays

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on how to handle a persistent and potentially unstable customer who has been calling repeatedly for a $35 order. The customer claims her identity was stolen and her boss will be paying with a credit card, but the speaker is unsure if she can trust this. The speaker directed the customer to their website and is hoping the calls will stop now that the order has been placed. The speaker also mentions not being able to block the customer's number and plans to handle any future calls as they come.
finley1991
Why do I attract the freaks? I really don't know what to do and honestly I am beginning to feel stalked... it's creepy.I sent the following e-mail to my director for her input but wondered what the rest of you would suggest...This one is a doozey.. thank goodness I keep a calling log! I have a woman who called me in September... she said she got my name from someone (couldn't remember who) that I am a PC rep and wanted some products. She told me she needed to replace some items because the things she had had been stolen after her apartment was broken in to. She asked for a catalog and I mailed her one. She called me October 6th with her order. I told her I would submit the order when I received her payment. On October 16th, I called her and left her a message letting her know that I had not received the payment and I was just "checking in." She called me at the end of October saying she had been in and out of the hospital and had not sent the money but would soon. Then she called again a week alter saying that her boss would be sending the check because while she was in the hospital, her identity and been stolen and she couldn't send a check. The week of Thanksgiving she called and asked if she could come to my house and get her items. I told her that I had never ordered them because I hadn't received payment for them. She said that she saw a story on Dateline about a consultant and saw that she had a ton of PC stuff in her home. I assured her that it was probably that consultant's personal items in the Dateline story but that we as consultants don't carry inventory and that I didn't have the items to give her even if she came.In the meantime, since the original time we spoke, she has called me at least twice a week, mostly not leaving messages but I see her number on my caller id. One day she called 4 times. (Now I wish I had written that down as well). On December 29th, she called and left me a message, very upset that her boss sent the check at the beginning of November and she still didn't have her items. I called her back (left her a message) saying that I had never received the payment and her boss should check to see if the check had been cashed. She called me back saying her boss checked and had to put a stop-payment on the check because it hadn't been cashed. She said he would call me with a credit card number today. I told her I would only be home between 1pm-3pm and I did not receive a call. I called her at 3pm saying I was leaving and would not be back in my office until Monday, Jan 5th and suggested since her boss planned to use a cc that the order could be placed online and directed them to my website.Any suggestions on what to do? It's been really unnerving to me about these constant calls... and for a $35 order. I really just want the phone calls to stop. Help!?!?!?!So ladies? Thoughts?

Don't give her my number!

Seriously, I think directing her to your PWS was a good move, although I doubt she will go there. Can you block her number so she can't call you anymore? She doesn't seem worth the effort and a $35 sale that will probably never happen is one you can do without. You can always call HO they have great advice - plus they will document it should she really decide to weird-out on you and start telling them lies about you.

Unfortunately, blocking a number is not a feature offered by AT&T in my area for landline phones... if I had a cell phone with them, they could help me. :mad:

She just called me assuring me her boss would be calling me *at any minute*. I told her I would not wait... this has been going on for 3 months and that she really needed to go through the website if she wants the items.I guess that part is handled but what do I do if she keeps calling? I guess I'll have to tackle that when it happens...UPDATE: He just called (he does exist) as I was putting on my coat to leave and gave me the credit card number. Phew! I am really hoping this is finished and the calls will stop.Seriously!!! Why do I attract the crazies?

Wow! Good for you. Maybe now she will go away :)

I feel for you Colleen. I had a mini-stalker in Nov. She called with a small order (less than $20) and then called at least twice a day to check it's status. In her case, I think she was just lonely (she is a shut-in). In your case, I'd make sure she doesn't actually have your address!:eek: (just kidding!)

Hope you have a wonderful New Years Eve!

legacypc46 said:
In your case, I'd make sure she doesn't actually have your address!:eek: (just kidding!)

HA! That was why when she asked if she could just come get the products I was like, H*** NO!!!!!!

O...M...G... This just keeps getting worse! I submitted this order on 1/2 and it's showing up on the IPT as 0.00 which means it's on hold. I called HO this morning and chose to wait on hold vs the call back (call back = 7 minutes... wait on hold = 25 minutes) and finally spoke to someone. She says that yes the order is on hold but can't tell me why and that hopefully someone will get back to me today about. I explained to her that I am leaving tomorrow for leadership and that I won't be here all day as I need to get some things done before I leave. She couldn't tell me when or IF someone will call me about this order. She said that they have a *new* system in place now and if shows are on hold, we have to handle that with the finance department, not customer service. So I asked for the number for finance and she said that she can't give it to me, that I have to call back and be entered into the que to speak to someone in customer service and then be transferred to finance to resolve the issue. So any suggestions as to what to do NOW? I cannot keep dealing with this customer and am dreading making a call to her...

Did you speak to a supervisor? Can't you choose the options for Financial Services? - or is that something else?

pamperedlinda said:
Did you speak to a supervisor? Can't you choose the options for Financial Services? - or is that something else?

The supervisor was standing there telling her what to say to me.

Evidently it's all to do with the *new* system. The new system on their end that processes the orders. The lady said that they (customer service) haven't been trained yet on it (it was installed after xmas) thus the reason for the long wait times and lack of help.

Finance doesn't open until 8:30am central time and even if I did call through the options, I'd get voicemail and still have to wait for a call back even when they're there due to the backlog of stuff they are dealing with.

I guess I'll wait and see... I just so want to be done with this customer and not have to EVER call her again!!!!!

I think if it were any other customer, I wouldn't be so stressed out... :(

I think that's kind of absurd that Cust Serv wouldn't be trained on a new system prior to it being activated - they should know that there would be questions.

Good luck!

I agree with you Linda. If it was something directly impacting our customers, I have to think they would be trained first. It bothers me a little that we're not given the same respect/value. (Okay, I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet)

I was a little shocked at that too... I guess there is really no good time for them to be trained on a new system but I would think they would split the group so half could be trained while the other half could handle what's happening currently. (But they didn't ask me!)I'm going to try calling back in a bit...

Call the main # (630) 261-8900 and ask for Finance Dept.

DebbieJ said:
Call the main # (630) 261-8900 and ask for Finance Dept.
THANKS! I'm on it!Got put right into voicemail. Left a message there so hopefully... :)

I am so frustrated right now and ready to cry! :(I spoke with another CS rep and a supervisor. They cannot transfer me to anyone in finance... they don't have that capability... they can only e-mail them and someone will get back to me *hopefully* today.I asked if this is how it's going to be from here on out with the *new* system and they said they didn't know but that if a show/order is on hold, we have to wait for someone to call us and resolve it, we can't call in and resolve it.

Colleen: Oh my goodness! This lady must have moved from California to your neck of the woods, we get plenty of em here, LOL.

Sheesh--at this point I would give HO a chance to get back to you and if you don't hear from them--ENJOY LEADERSHIP!

Nanisu said:
Colleen: Oh my goodness! This lady must have moved from California to your neck of the woods, we get plenty of em here, LOL.

Sheesh--at this point I would give HO a chance to get back to you and if you don't hear from them--ENJOY LEADERSHIP!

Thanks... I've calmed down and will let what will be, be.

I think I'm just stressing about the trip... getting people lined up to help with my parents while I'm away and getting rides to/from the airport, etc. And the thing is, I know everything works out okay all the time so why I stress in the first place is a mystery.

Can't wait to see everyone!!!! Not too much longer! :)

Decided to delete. Glad everything worked out.

UPDATE: HO finally called at 8:30pm. They released the order (YAY!) and didn't say why it was on hold and I was so elated I forgot to ask!!!Safe travels everyone and I'll see you tomorrow!!!! :D

1. How do I handle a persistent customer who keeps calling for updates?

First, it's important to remain calm and professional. Let the customer know that you value their business and understand their eagerness for updates. Then, provide them with a specific timeline for when they can expect to hear back from you. If possible, offer to provide updates at specific intervals, such as once a week. This will help manage their expectations and reduce the frequency of their calls.

2. What should I do if a customer becomes aggressive or demanding on the phone?

If a customer becomes aggressive or overly demanding on the phone, it's important to remain calm and professional. Let them know that you are there to help and are doing everything in your power to resolve their issue. If necessary, offer to escalate the situation to a manager or supervisor for further assistance.

3. How should I handle delays in product availability or delivery?

Transparency is key when it comes to handling delays in product availability or delivery. Be honest with the customer about the reason for the delay and provide a realistic timeline for when they can expect to receive their order. If possible, offer alternatives or solutions to help mitigate the delay, such as a discount or expedited shipping.

4. What is the best way to politely decline a customer's request for a refund or exchange?

If a customer is requesting a refund or exchange that does not align with your company's policies, it's important to politely and respectfully explain the situation to them. Let them know that while you understand their request, unfortunately, you are unable to accommodate it. Offer alternative solutions, such as store credit or a discount on a future purchase, to help appease the customer.

5. How can I prevent unwanted calls from customers?

There are a few steps you can take to prevent unwanted calls from customers. First, clearly communicate your business hours and availability for customer service. This will help manage their expectations and reduce the frequency of calls outside of those times. You can also offer alternative means of communication, such as email or live chat, for customers to reach you. If a customer continues to call outside of business hours, politely remind them of your availability and suggest scheduling a call during your designated hours.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Sheila
  • PamperedK
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
cmdtrgd
Replies
Views
chefkugler