• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Can I Handle Host Cancellations Without Being Bitchy?

In summary, Liz canceled on Wednesday for my Sunday show, which was already scheduled. She then asked if I would be interested in hosting a show in September which is my busiest month. I told her that I would need a firm commitment that the date would hold because I work into my schedule how many shows a month I can do. I also told her that I would need new invitations sent out 2-3 weeks in advance and that I would need to spend money on a brand new host packet.
pamperedbecky
Ok, here's the story, I had a host cancel on Wednesday for my Sunday show. I had an inkling it would happen because she wasn't returning my calls and she has a history of this. Grrrrr, it just makes me so mad because I KNOW there were hosts that wanted weekend dates in July. Here's the email I want to send back to her. I'd love your feedback. I want to get my point across without being bitchy. Thanks in advance!

Hi Liz,
Thanks for your email. Let me be completely honest here. I hesitate to reschedule your show. Here's why: Originally you booked a show for March 1st with Karen. That show canceled. It was rescheduled for April 20th, which just Karen hosted, which was fine. Then you scheduled your own show for May 27th. You then canceled that and rescheduled for July 27th. You now canceled that show 5 days before, leaving me no chance to re-book that date. And you'd like to reschedule for September, one of my busiest months of the year.

Now I don't mean to be snotty by any means. It's just that this is my job that I take very seriously. Although my job is fun and I have a blast doing it, it is still a job for me. It produces income that my family and I depend on. When I schedule a show, I mark it in my calendar and once my weekends fill up (my most popular days that people want to have shows), I have to turn down potential hosts if they want a weekend date. Having a certain amount of shows per month becomes income that I can expect to make. I have frequently had to turn down potential hosts who want weekend dates a lot throughout the summer and I know I had several people wanting a weekend date in July because the host special is so great, but I had to turn them down. So, when a show cancels, I am then unemployed for that day. I work into my schedule how many shows a month I can do and especially when one cancels with no time to re-book that date, I an unemployed for that day.

Now, I understand crises come up and work issues happen. I'm just hesitant to rebook a date for what is typically my busiest month (new catalog, awesome host special) and run the risk of this happening again. With your unpredictable schedule, I'm wondering if a catalog show/online show might be a better option for both of us. I'd be happy to pass along many suggestions on how to have a successful catalog/online show.

Again, I'm not trying to be snotty, but I'd really need your firm commitment that you'd keep any rescheduled show date. I also don't mind driving the hour or more it would take me to travel to your house because, as I said, I love doing cooking shows. I just would need a very firm commitment that a date that I book with you would hold. I know you can't 100% promise anything, but this is what I would need in order to reschedule. I would also need to know if you need new invitations for your show and I would be happy to provide you again with a timeline to follow when sending those out. To ensure a successful show, you would need to mail out invitations 2-3 weeks ahead of time. I will also need to spend the money to send you a brand new host packet because a new catalog is in effect in September. If you'd rather not deal with this, then maybe a catalog/online show is the best option.

Please let me know what you decide.

Thanks!

Very Very Very Good response!I heard a suggestion on a Julie Weitz training that when someone schedules a date, no matter when it is, we need to have their guest list IN HAND within 10 days to reserve the date. This will let us know if they are serious about holding their show date. I'm going to start doing this immediately!PS: Let us know what kind of response you get.

Honestly, I would not send this to her. It would just piss her off and create animosity. The bad press would not be worth it to me.I would just conveniently not have any weekend dates available for her. Yep, those are all filled up. "Let's try a Wednesday or something. Or how about a catalog show?"Then if she does schedule that Wednesday--DON'T COUNT ON HER SHOW AS ONE OF YOUR EIGHT FOR THE MONTH!I know we want to make people understand that this is our job and we depend on our shows, but it sounds like this woman will never get it.

finley1991 said:
Very Very Very Good response!

I heard a suggestion on a Julie Weitz training that when someone schedules a date, no matter when it is, we need to have their guest list IN HAND within 10 days to reserve the date. This will let us know if they are serious about holding their show date. I'm going to start doing this immediately!

PS: Let us know what kind of response you get.

Oooh, that's a great idea. I have toyed with the idea of sending out invites myself anyway. Sometimes I do and the last show I did that for, we invited 40 and she had 15 guests and about 5-6 outside orders. AND it was booked just two weeks before and sometimes I think those shows have better attendance.

Thanks, Colleen, for the suggestion!! I think I'll also tell her that - once I receive her guest list within 10 days, then I'll consider her date held. Of course hopefully she'll still get the picture I need the commitment from her it'll hold. I will keep you posted!

Good luck!

DebbieJ said:
Honestly, I would not send this to her. It would just piss her off and create animosity. The bad press would not be worth it to me.

I would just conveniently not have any weekend dates available for her. Yep, those are all filled up. "Let's try a Wednesday or something. Or how about a catalog show?"

Then if she does schedule that Wednesday--DON'T COUNT ON HER SHOW AS ONE OF YOUR EIGHT FOR THE MONTH!

I know we want to make people understand that this is our job and we depend on our shows, but it sounds like this woman will never get it.

Well, I"ve never laid it on the line like this for her before. I have with other hosts and they've been fine and then they've actually held their date. Although NOBODY has canceled this many times on me. Or I may just say let's do a catalog show. Hmm.....

The other thing is she's in Wonder Lake, a little more than an hour away. A weeknight would be tough for me to get there. But I suppose having to get a sitter when I actually know it's going to hold might be worth it until DH gets home.

DebbieJ said:
Honestly, I would not send this to her. It would just piss her off and create animosity. The bad press would not be worth it to me.

I would just conveniently not have any weekend dates available for her. Yep, those are all filled up. "Let's try a Wednesday or something. Or how about a catalog show?"

Then if she does schedule that Wednesday--DON'T COUNT ON HER SHOW AS ONE OF YOUR EIGHT FOR THE MONTH!

I know we want to make people understand that this is our job and we depend on our shows, but it sounds like this woman will never get it.

I agree with Deb, that is exactly what I do. I have 1 woman that has done that to me. She is amazed that my weekends fill up so far in advance!!!
I talk to her fairly often and I just don't want to waste my time on her.

I agree with DebbieJ. I would just leave her a message saying, "When you are ready to host a show, please call me."

Bless and release.

By sending this letter alls it is going to do is either make her feel really bad and never call you or piss her off.

She will just cancel on you again anyway.

Michelle

totally agree with Deb, although I can see how you would want to send the email. It would probably cause her to think poorly of you and then talk about how she felt to others, which would not be a good thing for your business!

If you do decide to send the email, I would take out the references to 'not being snotty.' (It detracts the focus from her to you and gives her something to latch onto if she wants to feel offended.) I am really torn on whether you should even give her another opportunity with you. Depends on her reaction to the email. If she's gracious, book her. If she acts insulted, offer to find her another consultant. (Maybe someone in your downline...with a full explanation). Wish I had better advice to offer.

Thanks everyone! Ok, after calming down a little, I think I will skip sending this exact email. I will try to call her first (she NEVER answers her phone and that's probably why she emailed ME about this), but I'll send a much toned down email. Basically I'll offer her a weeknight and let her I'm now sending out invites for hosts and once she picks from the couple dates I give her and sends me back her guest list, then I'll reserve the date for her. I DEFINITELY don't want to waste another weekend date with her. And I'm going to offer her dates at the BEGINNING of Sept in hopes of getting more Sept bookings. I'll also suggest that as a backup, if this happens again, she can convert it to a catalog/online show.

You're all right, I don't want to burn bridges with this woman. I have had a TON of shows out that way (several $1000 shows and one $2400 show) so I don't want to jeopardize my relationship with any of that crowd.

I know it does sound accusatory at the beginning of what I wrote but I truly wonder if she realizes how many times she's done this to me!!

The good thing is, it'll be a new catalog and the one that she was originally supposed to cohost with had HER show back in April, so now there will be new stuff and she can invite all those people over again.

Ok, off to change my email to her.:) Thanks for all your help. You guys are awesome!:D

finley1991 said:
Very Very Very Good response!

I heard a suggestion on a Julie Weitz training that when someone schedules a date, no matter when it is, we need to have their guest list IN HAND within 10 days to reserve the date. This will let us know if they are serious about holding their show date. I'm going to start doing this immediately!

PS: Let us know what kind of response you get.

I got this tip fro mStacy Tenneson and since I have started using this method, life has been a lot less stressful.
I tell them if I have bno GL from them by day 7 I will call and remind them. If on Day 10 the GL is not in my posession, I re-open the date. Period,.

DebbieJ said:

I totally agree with Debbie. I would definitely get her to book on a night I normally wouldn't do a show so that my real nights/days are available for others. I rarely do Sunday shows (don't mind them but I don't encourage them either) so I would offer her a Sunday if she must have weekend.

Sounds like it's best for you to not alienate her with what you've said about her group and all the business it gives. They know her so they may be like "wow, we understand" but they may take offense when she shares what you say. Oh, and definitely take the "snotty" references out. That just gives her the idea that you ARE being snotty.

Hey Becky! I'm so sorry but totally understand. Although I LOVE what you wrote, I don't think you should send it. While reading it I thought this will piss her off more than anything. But it made you feel better, didn't it? :p

It sounds like you've already changed it but man, that lady has nerve!:grumpy:

cut bait!

but in her defense, atleast she does contact you. After that many reschedules I do not contact them. If they really want a show, they can contact me when they are ready.

Well, I sent her an email, said thanks for contacting me, sorry you had to cancel. Suggested a catalog show next time, but if she wants a cooking show here are a couple dates. I gave her weekdays at the beginning of Sept and left the ball in her court to contact me. If she does, great, if not, I won't be tracking her down. Done!:)

pamperedbecky said:
Well, I sent her an email, said thanks for contacting me, sorry you had to cancel. Suggested a catalog show next time, but if she wants a cooking show here are a couple dates. I gave her weekdays at the beginning of Sept and left the ball in her court to contact me. If she does, great, if not, I won't be tracking her down. Done!:)

Way to take control!!!

pamperedbecky said:

Great Job!! No more stressing over it! Let us know what happens!

Well done, Becky!

1. What is the purpose of "Another Host Vent"?

"Another Host Vent" is a tool designed to help you easily manage multiple hosts for your Pampered Chef parties. It allows you to track orders and rewards for each host separately, making it easier to keep track of your business.

2. How do I add another host to my "Another Host Vent" list?

To add another host to your list, simply click on the "Add Host" button and enter the necessary information, such as the host's name and contact information. You can also add hosts directly from your party invitation page.

3. Can I customize the rewards for each host?

Yes, you can customize the rewards for each host by clicking on the "Edit" button next to their name in the "Another Host Vent" list. This will allow you to set specific rewards and incentives for each host, based on their individual party sales.

4. How do I switch between hosts in "Another Host Vent"?

To switch between hosts, simply click on their name in the "Another Host Vent" list. This will bring up their individual page where you can view their orders and rewards. You can switch between hosts as needed to track their progress.

5. Can I delete hosts from my "Another Host Vent" list?

Yes, you can delete hosts from your list by clicking on the "Delete" button next to their name. Please note that this action cannot be undone, so make sure you want to delete the host before confirming.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• imported_iteachurkid
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
  • jwpamp
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
PampMomof3
  • PampMomof3