• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Host Coaching Struggles: Frustrating "I Know It All" Attitudes

In summary, Beth shared that she tells her hosts that it is great when they have a good idea of what to do to make the party a success, and then asks them if she can practice on them. She also mentioned that she has some new ideas that she would love for them to try.
Chef_2_Four
why is it some people are so freaking hard to host coach. They have the "I have done this before, I know what I'm doing attitude"! It is annoying!! I tried my best to host coach my mother in law and that was her response every time I asked her if she mailed her invites. So what did she do, she forgot about them and mailed them 3 days before the show! :mad: She had a $700 because I got her a ton of orders! Anyway I have a show on Satuday and I try to call the woman but she is like closed off like she doesn't want to talk about it. Oh well I do the best I can do, hopefully the rest of my hosts in June will cooperate! :D

It's because they don't take it seriously. They think of it as just a party, and don't consider that we (both past and present consultants) have more experience with parties than they will ever have and know what works to maximize their benefits.

That, or they're stupid.
Oh- I'm sorry. Did I type that out loud?

Yes, you did, and we're all nodding our heads in agreement.

raebates said:
Yes, you did, and we're all nodding our heads in agreement.

I was! :p :p :p

One of my hosts did that to me recently ~ "I've done this before, yada, yada, yada." SO FRUSTRATING!

I wonder how they'd respond if we asked, "And how did those parties go?"

I know that, for me, it would give me an indication of whether that meant, "I'm a great hostess. My parties are always big blowouts with huge sales!" or "I have a few shows a year. Sometimes a few people come. I never earn much stuff."

The first answer would lead me to, "Great! I'll be touching base with you as we go along." The second would garner a, "Gee, maybe we can come up with some ideas to make this your best party ever."

what cracked me up at my mil's show, she had me make 2 fajitia pizzas. One made before the other I was going to demo. when people started showing up she said oh, april is making pizza there is one already done help yourself! I'm surprised her show went as well as it did! I really didn't do anything! OH, well! Hopefully saturday's show will be good!

raebates said:
I wonder how they'd respond if we asked, "And how did those parties go?"

I know that, for me, it would give me an indication of whether that meant, "I'm a great hostess. My parties are always big blowouts with huge sales!" or "I have a few shows a year. Sometimes a few people come. I never earn much stuff."

The first answer would lead me to, "Great! I'll be touching base with you as we go along." The second would garner a, "Gee, maybe we can come up with some ideas to make this your best party ever."

Maybe I will next time! :p (not really I don't want to tick them off!)

The more I think about it, I may not be kidding about asking how those parties went. It might give me a clue as to how good their hosting skills really are.

I think it's a good idea. And there are good ways to word it.

Although I keep thinking of a cluster-mate of mine who does a Dr. Phil theme show and asks people, "So, how's that working for you?"

I had a host refuse coaching. "I had a $1000 show last time." Okay. Well, needless to say she had a much smaller show this time and admitted later that she had "talked it up a whole lot more last time." lol

So, maybe she'll listen next time.

Maybe.

What I do now, and it seems to be working, is tell them "That's great! I love it when my hosts already have a good idea on what to do to get more for free! Can you do me a favor and let me practice on you? I have a couple new ideas on how to help others have great shows and I would love your feedback!" They eat it up.

oohhh.... sneaky.....
I love it.

BethCooks4U said:
Maybe.

What I do now, and it seems to be working, is tell them "That's great! I love it when my hosts already have a good idea on what to do to get more for free! Can you do me a favor and let me practice on you? I have a couple new ideas on how to help others have great shows and I would love your feedback!" They eat it up.

that is a good idea!! may have to try that!

hey Beth, mind sharing some of those new things you are "trying out". I think, no I KNOW, I need alot of help with host coaching. It seems everyone is excited about booking the show, but getting them motivated past that point is hard, so........any secrets you would like to share?!?!

I'd love to know how much their other consultant did for them... was the high sales due to the HOST'S effort or the CONSULTANT'S effort?

Beth, I like that idea! Now I just need to remember to use it!

Ann R

When they tell you that and their show doesn't do very well, it almost makes you want to give them a raspberry and say na na I told you so.
Sorry, been around kiddos all day...don't ya love summer vacation!

chefann said:
That, or they're stupid.
Oh- I'm sorry. Did I type that out loud?

You can't fix stupid.

Actually, I tell them I have some new things I'm trying but if fact most of it is the same host coaching we have all been taught (encourage attendance, guests bringing friends, outside orders, bookings, incentives, themes...) - PC is always coming out with new themes and recipes to keep things fresh, for instance. Most people don't listen so even if I have used some of the same things with them the first time around, they don't realize it's similar. I do not use a script. I say whatever seems appropriate for the particular host and go with the flow of her conversation - making sure I cover MY main points in the process.

As far as why a host who did a $1000 show the first time did less well the second time. I have asked what was different than the other show. They ALWAYS say that they didn't remind people and/or everyone seemed to be busy this time. I have asked if the consultant did anything different than I did and I get "no, actually you were more helpful". Don't know if they are being nice or what. Sometimes it's the novelty of the show that gets high sales the first time, that and if the group has been doing a lot of shows - other companies too - it makes a difference on the show total. I don't know how many times I have heard. "We just had a SLAH or candle party".

I have found that it all lies with the host. No matter what we do or say, if she/he is not into it and doesn't get it there is not much chance of a blockbuster show - unless HER FRIENDS as mega-PC junkies! Then she would luck out!

I had a host luck out with her PC-junkie friends. She had never hosted a PC show (or any kind of show for that matter), never been to a PC show (can you believe people like this still exsist) and didn't even own ONE PC ITEM!!! But she told everyone she knew about her show, including her PC junkie co-workers and she closed with over $1000!!! I am proud to say that she is now a PC junkie as well.
As has been said before, it really is up to the host as to how much effort he/she puts into the show. And then sometimes it is just dumb luck!

raebates said:
The more I think about it, I may not be kidding about asking how those parties went. It might give me a clue as to how good their hosting skills really are.

It was my second SS month (Dec) and I walked in a lady said oh and I want to do a show. LOVE It when that happens--she then said she had onw a couple of years ago. I naively just flat asked--How did that go? Did you get alot of free stuff? She told me yes it was about $1200 in sales and she got almost all the stoneware free (it was a different program). You know what she was not bs ing--we did host coaching via email (red flag--no phone). It was my highest show so far $1468. I got there and she already had $300 in outside orders. When i left her show was at $920 or so and she wanted to close in 3 days. In my opinion it is all about the hostess--I sucked during the show I have no idea how I got bookings or sales.

ContestI always tell my hosts that even though they may already know the routine, I want to give them some extra special hints so that they win the contest I am having for my highest selling host this month!
This usually gets their attention. I try to act as if I am giving them some great super cool advice, but it's usually what I tell all my hosts and if I am offering a gift to the highest selling host for the month, they usually listen to me. I have turned some of those "Oh I know all about it!" hosts into
"Ok great thanks for those tips, I really want to win!"

Debbie :D

Ooh, I like that idea, Debbie. I'll have to mull that one over a bit.This just popped into my head. I could give away a RUFTH item to each month's winner. That would boost my RUFTH donations, benefiting both Second Harvest and me. Hmmm. More thinking to do.

Great ideas Rae & Debbie! Think I'm gonna try that too.

Another flash of inspiration--you have to close your show by the end of the month in which it's held to be eligible. Maybe that's the incentive some hosts need to close quickly.

raebates said:
This just popped into my head. I could give away a RUFTH item to each month's winner. That would boost my RUFTH donations, benefiting both Second Harvest and me. Hmmm. More thinking to do.
You could put a sappy little card with it that says, "I love my hosts."

Host Coaching packet insertsThese are from another loop, but pertain to the thread - I include them in my host packets; feel free to change name & info...

Good luck; God Bless!

Attachments

• 5.tale of two hostesses.doc
    21.5 KB · Views: 335
  • 6.recipe for 1K show 1 pg.doc
    54.5 KB · Views: 316
  • 9.If you read NOTHING ELSE.doc
    26.5 KB · Views: 395
  • 10.what can my website do.doc
    92.5 KB · Views: 378
Those are good I like those! Thanks Scott!

raebates said:
Ooh, I like that idea, Debbie. I'll have to mull that one over a bit.

This just popped into my head. I could give away a RUFTH item to each month's winner. That would boost my RUFTH donations, benefiting both Second Harvest and me. Hmmm. More thinking to do.
I actually give the RUFTH trivet as a host gift to thank them for having me. This way your always donating!!!

I like everyones ideas!! Not if I can get some shows booked. I thought I was going to stop and then I changed my mind so now I need more shows!

1. Why do some people have such a difficult time with host coaching?

There are many factors that can contribute to a person's resistance to host coaching, such as lack of time or interest, feeling overwhelmed, or simply not understanding the importance of the role. It could also be related to their personality or past experiences with hosting events.

2. How can I handle hosts who have an "I have done this before" attitude?

It's important to approach these hosts with empathy and understanding. Acknowledge their past experience and expertise, but also gently remind them of the benefits of host coaching and how it can lead to a successful event. Encourage open communication and collaboration to find a balance between their ideas and your role as a consultant.

3. How can I effectively host coach someone who is not responsive or closed off?

First, try to understand the reason behind their behavior. It could be related to personal issues or stress that they are facing. Be patient and offer support and encouragement. If necessary, consider alternative methods of communication such as email or text messaging to reach out to them. Also, make sure to clearly communicate your expectations and the importance of their role in the success of the event.

4. Can I still have a successful event if my host is not fully cooperating?

Yes, it is possible to have a successful event even if your host is not fully cooperating. However, it may require you to take on more responsibilities and put in extra effort to make up for their lack of participation. It's important to remain positive and focus on the other guests and their needs to ensure a successful event.

5. How can I prevent host coaching struggles in the future?

To prevent host coaching struggles in the future, it's important to set clear expectations from the beginning. Make sure your hosts understand their role and responsibilities, and communicate with them regularly leading up to the event. It's also helpful to establish a good rapport with your hosts and maintain open communication to address any issues or concerns that may arise.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kathy Jewell
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • EmilyinAL
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • kdangel518