• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with a Know-It-All Host: Tips for Effective Host Coaching

In summary, a past consultant who knows it all is having a hard time getting her new host to listen to her. The host is trying to do everything on her own despite the consultant's advice. The host is likely having a hard time because she does not have experience hosting a show. The host may want to try things like 1) Things have changed since you was last a consultant; 2) I'm still new at this, since you're experienced, do you mind if I practice with you?; 3) You probably know that only half of the people you invite show up, and then 10% of those who said yes won't make it. I'd hate for you to go through all this work to not have the best
sillylittlechef
I have a past consultant who wants to host a show. She won a free show by setting her date at the show, but now I can't seem to get her to listen to me. When I call to Host Coach she just interupts and says....I know, I used to sell it. I sent her stamps in her host packet, but only sent 20 stamps. When I asked her if she needed anymore stamps she said no. I can't seem to get her to tell me how many people she is planning to invite. Has anyone else run into this problem....A host who knows it all? How did you handle host coaching?

I have had afew who know it all and I have to say, they have had the WORST shows. Don't get me wrong, I aprpeciate ALL of my shows, but these have been crappy ones. You could try any of these:

1) Things (Host Bens) have changed since you was last a consultant.
2) I'm still new at this, since you're experienced, do you mind if I practice with you? You can tell me what I left out!
3) You probably know that only half of the people you invite show up, and then 10% of those who said yes won't make it. I'd hate for you to go through all this work to not have the best show possible. Can I help you to invite more people (bring a guest get a SB, bring 2 get free shipping).
4) Tell her you want to do an ugly scraper contest.
5) Have you ever considered PC again? Do you mind me asking why you left? You would be so much fun to work with... (you can find out from this what kind of host coaching she did and what problems she had.)
6) Ask questions. "Why do you think that?" when she gets snippy. Or start with "I'm curious... how did you handle..."
7) I want to make sure I bring enough paperwork, prepare enough food, etc. How many are coming?

Hope one of these helps.

First, when I have past consultants as hosts I always say "I am sure that you already know this but humor me and let me practice with you and then you can give me feedback and let me know if you would have done anything differently" This way I can say what I need to and it gives them a little ego boost because you are asking for their advice. Secondly, I just send out the invites for the host...my attendence and show average have booth benefited from diong this and it takes all of the guess work out.

You'll love this one then...Past consultants who attend or host shows are the worst!
They know everything, they hate everything, (SO WHY HAVE or ATTEND A SHOW!), and they have no clue what they are doing.
Here's what you do, simply tell them you are leaving everything up to them as they already know the routine but that you will need to call for the count, "but you already know that." And if you need anything, call me. "Oh and would it be OK if I pick your brain about how you used to do things before the show? There is so much I need to learn." Stroking gets you every where with these people.
Then let them screw up their show. You simply take a deep breath and go for it. (Or you suddenly need to work over time at your regular job and cancel on them before you get stuck doing a show for her and her one true friend who is as conceided as she is.)
Then when it is all over, chalk it up to experience and NEVER DO IT AGAIN!

LOL John.

I have heard some horror stories about past consultants. There was one girl on another board that said this woman told her that she was going to have her friend come all the way from wherever since she was a past consultant and she was going to make sure she did everything right, and then she demanded she do a bunch of outrageous stuff for her show, like multiple recipes, etc, she was asking for help on how to deal with this woman, but I don't remember the outcome if she even had the show, hmmm, got me thinking, I will maybe have to look it up again just to refresh my memory. It's not like this board that sends you updates to the ones you have posted on, I LOVE that.

Let me just put this out there: There's a reson they are called "past consultants". If they were running successful businesses, you think they'd quit?

There are many reasons why a person would quit. I have two recruits that were past consultants. One signed under someone who refused to see her to help her submit her first show...even after the recruit drove 2 hours! The other had family issues and needed to be there...then there are others who just need to STAY past consultants!!!

Yeah.... I'm a past consultant... LOL There really are many reasons a person is no longer a consultant, family being just 1 of them... lack of support... health issues... burnout....

I think assuming that past consultants are all the same is just like assuming your friends and people you meet "won't want to try the business".... never assume anything...

Before re-signing, I hosted 2 PC shows at home, both were pretty good (not great... but enough that it was worth the time) at around $500.......

I did a show for a past consultant, also... drove 3 hours (each way) for the show and she had 5 guests, but ended up at about $700 ;) You just never know what you'll end up with!

I do have to say that in my books, my 2 worst shows in sales/attendace/everything... were both past consultants!!! I tried to do everything as I always do but they both "knew everything" already, it was hard!

I have a customer who has been to two of my shows who is a past consultant. Basically her hubby's job moved them three times in one year, so she never got settled long enough to get her business started up and went inactive.

I'm trying to re-recruit her, but she says she's not ready....yet!

At the first show she attended she actually got one of her pals to book another show, at the second she enticed one of her friends into looking at the business. I got a new booking and a hot recruit lead from HER work...seems silly to me she doesn't want to re-join, I mean those could be her leads, but whatever, she's happy to help me and I'm happy to send her out thank-you's whenever we meet each other (just gave her a new season's best and took her out for coffee two days ago!)

Let me just put this out there: There's a reson they are called "past consultants". If they were running successful businesses, you think they'd quit?

I did.

And I just hosted a show for another consultant that had almost $800 in sales, two bookings in the first half of October, with another 3 people interested in booking in January and March. I hope my consultant doesn't think I was a pain to deal with.

I hope you guys know I'm ONLY talking about the pain in the butt former consultants/hosts...

Hi Anne!I hope too that you all know that I know that not ALL past consutants are a pain. I do realize that there are many other reasons for leaving the biz. On the other hand the two I did have to deal with were horrible people in general. Here's a kicker for you just to prove the point. One show I did had a male ex at it. He was so going to let everyone know what to buy and what not to buy. I had a reall good time at that one. (UGH!) However, when it came time to ship the order I got a call fro HO. His CC did not go through. I called and explained that I either had the number wrong or the expiration date wrong. I didn't even mention that he had no money. That I would never do. Before he would even check the numbers for me he went off on me that it would have gone through if I had done it that night. I told him that he knows the HO runs the cards when the show is ready to ship and that his did not go through. This told me two things, he had no idea how his business worked when he did it and that he already knew that the charge got bounced. That's because every CC they had was locked down because the new business he owned in his own name was being audited and all sorts of other things. He lost that business too. They ended up sending the host a check or cash. She sent me the money out of her account. It was for over $220!
She still didn't have the money when the order came in. Never did find out what happened with the check but I do know he lost his business and I believe his house as well because he didn't incorporate. Stupid move.
The other one was a host. And I had no idea that she was a past consultant until the day of the show. She kept trying to tell me how to set up, how to do the demo, how to do this and that. Then she never shut up during the show. 14 people attended and she talked just about everyone out of hosting, ordering or anything else. She had to order $40 in stuff just to make $150!
So, that's why I currently hate those two past consultants. Hate's a strong word. I feel sorry for them.

I have had nightmare past consultants and I have had good ones. Some have had great shows and I've even had a couple re-sign. THe thing that generally is common in hosts that are past consultants is that it's hard to get bookings. It's like their friends are burnt out or are afraid that they're going to have to "help" her again. I don't know.

I take them, host coach as much as they let me (lots of good advice already on this thread on how to do that!) and tell them I have high expectations while inside keeping MY expectations low. I would rather be pleasantly surprised with a $400 show than expecting a $1000. If I'm expecting a low show I can't be disappointed. That being said, I always coach to the high show - the host NEVER knows what my thoughts on how she'll do is - she thinks she'll me the best this month! (and I always hope that for her - no matter what I let myself expect)

I know I blasted some past consultants before, but I do have to say that I have met two who are wonderful... it just hit me. One attended a show and almost everything I showed, she was telling the guests, "Oh, yeah... you have to get that, too." She stopped because she had children and it got to be too much for her. That's a shame because I can just imagine she was a great cons. The other I met, has encouraged a past host to sign up under me, so that is great, too! So, I do have to be fair to those who leave the biz willingly or otherwise.

My Host Saturday night was a past consultant... It is at $1076.77 so far! She has been an AWESOME Host! This is my first show over $1000 and I'm so excited. I asked her if she was ready to come back, and she isn't ready... yet! I have grown really close to her,,, so you never know. She may become one of my most powerful team players. ;-)

Hugs,
Toni

That's great! Good luck. Toni.
Just a little update. My show with the past consultant is in one week and I can't get a hold of her. I've called and left numerous messages and no response. We haven't even picked a recipe yet. Oh well. We'll see!

My DH was a consultant and had to quit due to Osama Bin Laden...yes, we hate him for that, among many other things but the truth of the matter is...I wouldn't have become a consultant if it wasn't for DH having to become a "Past Consultant". Next time you do a show for a past consultant think of what I go through living with one! Fortunately, my business is WAY better than his ever was and I use that to shut him up. Have a great day and don't forget to smile!

What is a "Past Consultant as Host" event?

A "Past Consultant as Host" event is a special type of party where a former Pampered Chef consultant invites their friends and family to learn about and purchase our products. The host receives all the host benefits, just as if they were hosting a regular party. This is a great opportunity for past consultants to reconnect with our brand and earn some free products!

Do I have to be a past consultant to host this type of event?

Yes, this type of party is exclusively for past Pampered Chef consultants. However, if you are interested in becoming a consultant again, this could be a great opportunity to do so and receive some free products as a host!

What are the benefits for the host of a "Past Consultant as Host" event?

The host of a "Past Consultant as Host" event will receive all the same benefits as a regular party host, including free and discounted products based on the total sales of the party. They will also have the opportunity to reconnect with our brand and potentially earn some extra income if they choose to rejoin as a consultant.

Can I use my past consultant account to place orders for my "Past Consultant as Host" event?

Yes, past consultants can use their original consultant account to place orders for their "Past Consultant as Host" event. If you no longer have access to your account, please reach out to our customer service team for assistance.

Are there any special incentives for guests at a "Past Consultant as Host" event?

Yes, guests at a "Past Consultant as Host" event will have the opportunity to purchase our products at a discounted price. This is a great opportunity for them to stock up on their favorite Pampered Chef items or try something new at a lower cost.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchef.angel
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
monicag
  • TheFreddiesCook
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
gailz2
  • kdangel518