• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Holiday Party Craft Project: Microwave Ornaments!

In summary, the conversation was about making ornaments for a class project. One suggestion was to use styrofoam cups melted in the microwave and decorated with glitter. Another idea was to use canned lids decorated with recycled Christmas cards. Someone also suggested using clear glass ornaments with spray adhesive and glitter.
klsnyder
I would like to do a class project with my son's class for a Holida Party. Does anyone know of a way to do ornaments? We would have a microwave in the room.....I am not very crafty!!

bump to top

OrnamentsI did this for my sons class one year and its cheap. Take styrafoam cup and melt in microwave just watch it closely as it doesn;t take long at all and let cool. Then the kids can put on glue and sprinkle with glitter. Put hole in top and put string through. These come out in some neat shapes.:)

mary k said:
I did this for my sons class one year and its cheap. Take styrafoam cup and melt in microwave just watch it closely as it doesn;t take long at all and let cool. Then the kids can put on glue and sprinkle with glitter. Put hole in top and put string through. These come out in some neat shapes.:)
What do you put the cups on?

OrnamentsIf the microwave has a glass plate just set them on that or a glass plate like Corelle. They will not stick. Try one at home and see how it works.
I can make you one and send it to you if you would like to see it? You can also make a ornament of canned lids: you need to sand them so there are no sharp edges and cut out felt the size of the lid then glue them with a glue Aileens found at Walmart. Then cut out recyled or new Christmas cards in a circle and glue these to both sides of your lid. I usually find a picture that looks good when cut out. You can decorate around the edge with some kind of gold rick rack or sequins. I forgot to tell you before you start putting on your felt punch a hole at the top with a ice pick for your ribbon or yarn.

mary k said:
You can also make a ornament of canned lids: you need to sand them so there are no sharp edges

SAND THEM??!! :eek: :eek: Use your smooth edge can opener!!! Hey, don't miss an opportunity to showcase PC stuff!! :)

OrnamentsForgot about using P.C. can opener. Back when I made these I didn't have one.What a great idea and less time for an easy project.
Have you always lived in Georgia? Iwas born in Aiken South Carolina and raised in Georgia.

THanks!!!! I will do some experimenting here at home!!!

mary k said:
I did this for my sons class one year and its cheap. Take styrafoam cup and melt in microwave just watch it closely as it doesn;t take long at all and let cool. Then the kids can put on glue and sprinkle with glitter. Put hole in top and put string through. These come out in some neat shapes.:)
I just tried this, and I can not get the cups to melt...help!!!!

I have another quick ornament sort of thing!! cut out a piece of red felt in a big teardrop shape. cut out 2 slits horizontally to insert a candycane. (you can hang it by this (the tail) ... cut a piece of green felt in an hourglass shape. cut 2 vertical holes, and insert the green felt so that it makes ears. glue one 2 wigly eyes and you have a mouse :) sorry that I don't have a image to go with it - I tried being descriptive!

I'm doing this craft with my son's 4th grade class - I went to Michael's and got some pretty clear glass ornaments (they were half off - $2.99 for 9) - bought some spray adhesive that works on glass and some green, red and silver glitter. I took off the top of the ornament, sprayed the adhesive in it, and then funneled the glitter in (just made a funnel with paper) - the kids can then shake it around inside - it looks pretty on the tree with the colors going through it. I'm also going to have them put their names on it along with the year on a little tag and attach it to the top. My son really liked it and it's extremely easy!

Gina Miller

Gina M said:
I'm doing this craft with my son's 4th grade class - I went to Michael's and got some pretty clear glass ornaments (they were half off - $2.99 for 9) - bought some spray adhesive that works on glass and some green, red and silver glitter. I took off the top of the ornament, sprayed the adhesive in it, and then funneled the glitter in (just made a funnel with paper) - the kids can then shake it around inside - it looks pretty on the tree with the colors going through it. I'm also going to have them put their names on it along with the year on a little tag and attach it to the top. My son really liked it and it's extremely easy!

Gina Miller

What a cool idea to do with kids. I think I may do this as a project over Christmas Vacation with my 10 yr old and then she can pick out a small tree to have in her room that is decorated with all her homeade ornaments (from school and GS and everywhere). Thanks for the cool tip. We are already going to make Brown Bag Scrapbooks for gifts. This will be loads of fun!;)

Gina M said:
You can also squirt pint down inside instead of the glue and glitter. Swirl it around...we did this with my Daughter's 1st grade class...it was so pretty...note: only use 2 colors or it gets to mingled up!!

klsnyder said:
You can also squirt pint down inside instead of the glue and glitter. Swirl it around...we did this with my Daughter's 1st grade class...it was so pretty...note: only use 2 colors or it gets to mingled up!!
I love this one. Use a metalic paint and a regular paint. They turn out beautiful!

On the outside of the glass ornaments, you can also use double stick tape and then sprinkle with glitter. I also made snowflakes with jumbo cupcake liners. Just fold into fours and cut out some shapes and then open. They are addicting!!!! I then use a glue stick to stick them to black paper circles. Have Fun!!!!

this might not be good for kids but you take a tupperware container fill with water take a glass ornament spray spay paint into the water and roll you ornament around in the water makes the buld look marbeled very pretty and easy to do

ohh that sounds cool! do you have to work really quick?

I dont know how fast you have to work it took me only minutes to do though

well as long as you spray it yourself, then you could give the kids the water with the pain already in it...and have them wear gloves, then I think it would be great for kids!!

that is a good idea to have the kids wear gloves when I did it I just held on the top and swiled it in the water

1. Can I use any type of microwave to make these ornaments?

No, it is recommended to use a microwave with a turntable and 1000 watts or higher for best results.

2. Are there any safety precautions I should be aware of when making these ornaments in the microwave?

Yes, always use oven mitts or a towel to handle the hot ornaments and allow them to cool before decorating.

3. How long does it take to make these ornaments in the microwave?

The total time will vary depending on the type of ornament and microwave wattage, but most ornaments can be made in under 5 minutes.

4. Can I use regular craft paint to decorate the ornaments?

Yes, as long as the paint is non-toxic and safe for microwave use. It is recommended to use acrylic or glass paint for best results.

5. Can I use any type of dough for these ornaments or is there a specific recipe?

The recipe provided by Pampered Chef is specifically formulated for microwave use and is recommended for best results. However, you can experiment with other dough recipes as long as they are safe for microwave use.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
cookingwithlove
  • mrssyvo
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
jrstephens
  • Tropicalburstqt2