• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Feeling Overwhelmed? Tips for Better Cooking Shows

In summary, the expert recommends practicing while cooking dinner, prepping as much as possible before the show, breaking down the recipe steps, and playing a recruiting game.
Kathytnt
I feel I am not doing very good shows - I always feel like I am fumbling around to find ingredients and tools. I want to do a good show. Most of my shows are catalog shows so I don't get much practice with cooking shows. Then on the way home I am critiquing myself.
Anyone have ideas?

I practiced while cooking dinner! Silly as I felt talking to myself, it helped me feel more comfortable with talking and cooking. Also, practice a few recipes and offer just those to your hosts. As you become more comfortable with winging it you can branch out on your offerings.

I have started doing shows where I have pre-prepared the recipe then top it off (for example, Touch Down Taco Dip, then chop up toms, onions, and olives to show a few tools), or use some potatoes to demonstrate the tools. I have seen this allows the guests to get their hands on things without my having to direct them as much, and I get more time to talk with them about thier needs. So far I think everyone has had more fun this way.

Robin

I do as much prep before the show as I can. That way I'm not worried about measurements, etc. during the show & can focus on talking about the products. I also try to put the ingredients with the tools I'm using in the order I'll use them. Prep bowls are GREAT for shows because you can measure, chop, etc. ahead of time & also sell the bowls! Do you offer a bunch of recipes for shows, or just a few? A few may be easier if you don't do many cooking shows because then you're used to demoing the same couple of recipes.

Hope that helps!

Usually two - Usually one main and then ansy or top off type of dessert but I forget to talke aobut the different lines and booking and recruiting - I have ahd a couple of shows where people need to leave early and I get flustered
I didn't even do my drawing slips tonight = ( I have contact info for everyone but don't have any booking or recruit leads

Kathy,
Is Lorlee Clark your director?

I have found my shows where I have my hostess' help are the best. I am by no means a pro as I just started in June. I get tongue tied, butterflies, and stomach aches thinking about cooking shows. But I figure there is money to be made and I need to have a piece of it! If I start to feel nervous I get help from my audience (give them a chance to be watched by 15-20 others). My first show (June) had 2 dips, 4 main dishes and 2 deserts. We prepped and had a kitchen crew (bringing the ingredients, setting up while I played games, etc.). Of course we prepped and cooked some before the guest arrived. The host spent about $38 dollars and show was great so she just did another one in September with the same results.

Something I do for shows that helps me stay focused is breaking down the recipe steps before the night of the show. I take some note cards, or outline it on the computer into 3 different sections: 1) Prep @ Home, 2) Prep @ show, and 3)Demo.

Then I set up my "work table" at the show to be somewhat in the order of the steps, with the tools lined up or group together according to how and when I will use them.

I usually have all my loose ingredients inside one of my stainless bowls and within easy reach.

I've been doing this for a while - and my husband laughs at me because it is almost my "night before" pre-show ritual to work through the process. I usually do this as I pack my crate. It helps me get my "game face" on. :)

Hope this helps,
Melinda

I have also started to feel like I forget to mention things or I feel that I'm just talking, talking, talking! So this month I'm going to change my shows. I'm going to pass out Did you Know cards that I found on this site & throughout the show have the guests read them. They have info on booking & recruiting, products & general info. This way I don't have to remember to say it. Then I'm going to play the 3-minute game--you set a timer & guests get to ask you questions. It's a recruiting game, but I'm also going to let them ask booking questions--anything PC related that is not about products. I'm hoping this will keep me focused on selling the products & not worried about mentioning every little thing. This way the guests will hear about booking & recruiting from other guests & not from me!

Like Melinda, I also go through the show in my head while I pack & try to have my work area set up to make the show go more smoothly.

I think everybody struggles with making sure they mention everything. I just started putting an index card with my "power recruiting statement" on the table, usually under a tool I will have to pick up to use. Then when I see the card, it reminds me to mention recruiting.

Bookings aren't usually as much of a problem for me to mention. I have a silly little thing that I say to lead into it. When I'm using the Ultimate Mandoline, I mention that it's a tool that everyone needs, and that it's called "ultimate" because ultimately, you can get it free when you host a show.

I know, it's goofy, but I remember to say it. :eek:

Kathy, you are not giving yourself enough credit for what you have accomplished. As a Future Director, you have to be doing lots right! and your Show high is to be proud of too! When my shows are over, and I'm on my way home, I too do a run through of my time. I don't hit all the bases
in each show, as much as I might want to. The guests attending each show are different so it flows according to the give and take with the guests. For me, it is not like a Stage Play where I read off the same lines, night after night. When I look at the items purchased, and compare them with the items I have demonstrated, I sometimes am amazed at the choices that have nothing to do with my demo. Other times, the sales are directly reflected. I enjoy the mystery and the chemistry of meeting new folks and seeing how we find common connections, as we share our stories and love of cooking and food. If you have had a good time, and the guests have had a good time, I consider it a successful show. The numbers are important, sure, but this is a very unpredictable business, and to me, that is part of what makes it intriqueing. You never know when it will be a $1,000 party, or a cancellation.
I've done 40 shows, and some are smooth as silk, and are perfect in every way but orders and bookings. I've found that the hostess who is on a very tight budget seems to have friends that are in similar situations. Those shows seem to struggle to make $150, and sometimes don't. The first I had
like that had 2 bookings and both those hostesses were under $150 too. There have been 5 out of my 40 that did not make the $150. I combined them with other shows to be able to submit the orders. None of them had outside orders or orders after their shows. The hostess' with outside orders
were the most successful. Two of my hostess' used e-vites and got at least one order from that effort. Two of my parties were heavier on outside orders than actual guests present at the party. Both were $1,000 plus parties. Hope this is helpful. Don't beat yourself up. Congratulations on being a Future Director.

Now Melissa you were not supposed to know who my director is - By the way congratulations on the $1000 show!

Also, what helps me is having everything written out along with having as much prep done before my shows. I too love the prep bowl sets because of this.

put sticky notes on certain things until you remember what to say for each of them.

Yellow ones for recruit bids, green ones for hosting bids for example.

Food chopper - PC give more of these away than we sell...it's the number one things hosts choose for free

Mix N Scraper - this is the small size, the one with the star next to it in your catalogue...that means I got it in my starter kit when I started with the company. you'll find the items in the started kit on the back page of your catalogue

Knives - You can have the set of three knives at half price when you host a show.

etc etc. You'll start to remember what you have to say for each item before you know it, or if you're more comfortable use the sticky notes all the time so you feel more confident.

I also have a cue card for stoneware, as I think there is just so much to talk about and I don't want to forget anything!

Fwiw, nearly a year on I STILL forget to talk about things, and at the end of the day the catalogue will sell things for you. I usually sell a measure mix and pour at every show I have, although I don't own one, and don't talk about it!

All of your ideas are great - Thank you!

Kathytnt, you can't be expected to mention everything! I usually tell people as I'm finishing up that if I told them everything we'd be there until breakfast. I remind them that if they have any questions at all, they can ask me as they're checking out, or they can contact me later. Of course, they can always host a show of their own and give me a chance to tell them all new stuff.

1. How can I keep my cooking show organized and on track?

To keep your cooking show organized and on track, it is important to plan out your menu ahead of time and have all necessary ingredients and tools ready. You can also create a timeline for the show and practice your recipes beforehand to ensure smooth execution.

2. What are some tips for managing multiple tasks during a cooking show?

One helpful tip is to prep as many ingredients as possible ahead of time and have them organized in separate bowls or containers. This will make it easier to grab and add ingredients as needed. It is also helpful to delegate tasks to other team members or have a co-host to assist with tasks.

3. How can I engage my audience and keep them interested throughout the entire show?

One way to engage your audience is by involving them in the cooking process. You can ask for volunteers to help with certain tasks or have them taste test and give their opinions. You can also ask questions and encourage them to ask questions and share their own cooking experiences.

4. What are some tips for dealing with unexpected challenges during a cooking show?

It is important to stay calm and flexible when faced with unexpected challenges during a cooking show. If a recipe doesn't turn out as planned, have a backup plan or alternative recipe ready. Make use of any extra time to interact with the audience or discuss cooking tips and techniques.

5. How can I make my cooking show stand out and be memorable for attendees?

To make your cooking show stand out and be memorable, try incorporating interactive elements such as games or prizes. You can also offer unique or creative recipes, share personal anecdotes or tips, and make use of visual aids or demonstrations to keep the audience engaged and entertained.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chef Shelli
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
TBlackwell
  • Melissa78
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Cr8vKitchen
  • starrmarie