• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Explaining the Discount on the Host Program.

In summary, the catalog hostess offered to refund the $200 the guest spend on the show but the guest refused and hung up on the catalog hostess.
PampMomof3
Gold Member
:D :D Hey guys. I just had a show that closed out at $1225!! :D :D Yeah for me BUT she was totally confused on the discount that she receives. When all the guests leave, I explain where they are at what they should work towards and so on.

Well, when I explain the discount, I let the host know that AFTER their free product credit is used, they get the discount on the remaining items that they wish to purchase. In the 95 shows that I have closed, I have NEVER run across the host being as mad as this host. SHe was so mad at me that the catalog doesn't explain it better. I told her that I'm sorry that I did a poor job explaining it to her (even though I didn't) and I would do anything to make it right. SHe told me it wasn't my fault but she said she doesn't know if she'll do anything with PC AGAIN.:eek: I told her that I would do anything to make it right and I think I did make her feel better.

I hung up the phone completely upset and asked my husband if it makes sense. He said "Why would PC give her a 30% discount on her Free stuff? That's like PC is paying her to take it out the door."

I"m just wondering if any of you have run across a similar situation??:confused:

So this lady gets $215 worth of products absolutely free and she is angry?!?!?!?! I just don't understand some people.

What did she want? More discount on the host special and the half-price selections?!? Well, at least you pretty much made level one in one show!

Yes, she was angry with getting that much free stuff!! It was actually $265 in Free stuff! Some people! What she did was add up all her stuff, take 30% off and then take off the free product. :rolleyes:

I would be really happy getting all that free stuff

I had a similar situation. A host thought she could use the free product value to purchase the 60% off item and the half price items. She also seemed to get angry with me. I did point out the verbiage on the host benefits page in the catalog and the show planner and that seemed to calm her, but I do not think she will ever do anything with me again.

I was very upset because I really thought I connected with the host and enjoyed working with her. Her getting upset totally confused me. The only thing I could think of was money was probably tight and the misunderstanding meant she could not get everything she wanted.

Lisa

I had a hostess who wanted the 7 piece stoneware set for $60.88 (we don't have tax so it really was that price) but wanted to use the $60 in FPV (already used to get that price) on top of it!! Yep- here at PC we sell 7 pieces of stoneware for $.88! Get a life!

Yeah, some people are just nuts. That's why I try as hard as I can to make sure they totally understand it. I even say that the host special and half price items are out of pocket expenses for them and that the discount is AFTER they have chosen their items for free. Some still don't get it.

I'm sorry she was such a biatch Kristi!

I tell you what, they need to listen when we tell them! I think it goes in one ear and out the other! I did let her know that PC pays the tax on all the free stuff so she won't have to pay for that. SHe said that she was expecting to pay that so she was a bit relieved!:cool:

DebbieJ said:
Yeah, some people are just nuts. That's why I try as hard as I can to make sure they totally understand it. I even say that the host special and half price items are out of pocket expenses for them and that the discount is AFTER they have chosen their items for free. Some still don't get it.

I'm sorry she was such a biatch Kristi!

Thanks Deb! I'm so sorry too! Where were you 30 minutes ago?? You should have been here with all of us crazy posters!!:D

I had a catalog hostess hang up on me cause she didn't want the 20% discount! She had a $300 show but that was when the stop sell for the baker and the dec. bottles came out and I couldn't sell them to her so because I felt bad that it was no longer a $300 show I gave her the 20% discount anyway (figured I'd eat the extra 5%) and she got mad! Said she didn't want the extra discount and hung up on me! I was flabbergasted. I called her back and asked what was wrong, I was just trying to explain all the benefits from her $300 show and why I couldn't count the baker and decorator bottles, but how she was still going to get a $300 show benefits. She said that her past PC consultant just gave her exactly what she wanted with no problems and no complications (there would have been no complications if there hadn't been a stop sell - but thats not my fault) It was crazy. After her show closed I refused to work with her ever again. I will never do another show with her again. She was crazy. I was doing her a favor and instead of a "thank you" she hangs up on me! Crazy

And she would have gotten the baker and dec. bottles if she had closed her show on time, but because it took over a month to close her show ( and wouldn't return my calls) I couldn't even back order to stuff.

amya said:
So this lady gets $215 worth of products absolutely free and she is angry?!?!?!?! I just don't understand some people.

Seriously!!!!!
This woman needs to get OVER her obnoxious self!!!

I really don't understand how hosts can get upset about getting stuff for FREE! I mean, come on, how hard is it to have some friends over while someone else makes the food? I can't see how someone would be mad for getting $265 of products free just for inviting some friends over. I guess they don't see the irony.

The funny thing right now for me is that I have a host who is almost the opposite. She's all excited for me that her show is almost at $800 (when it was under $500 when I left) & I got a few bookings & a recruit lead from it. I don't know if I've ever had someone so happy for me.

Sorry, but I personally don't understand why hostess can't use her FPV to purchase the half-price and/or hostess specials. Either way they are going to get free stuff, what makes the difference if they choose to use it on the special or half-priced items or other items in the catalog???? Can someone explain this to me? I have had several hostess' get upset about this.

It's just the way the program works. They earn the freebies & discounts, they don't HAVE to use any of it! It is all a thank you for hosting.

If money is tight, a host can use all the FPV and not use the 1/2 price or discounts and skip the host special.

I've had hosts confused about the benefits but they have never gotten mad at me. I always tell my hosts in the first host coaching phone call that after we take the free products and half price items off their list anything else left on their list gets up to a 30% discount. They seem to understand when I explain it this way.

I have had hosts recentely that didn't realize how much free product they got when all their orders were in so when they are looking through the catalogue to spend their free product they said it was hard. I don't know about you but it definately wouldn't be hard for me to spend more free product that I didn't realize I had... so silly

I can't count how many times a host has been confused about the free products.........."are you sure I get all this for free". Or why can't I get more then one item at 60% off? :rolleyes:

Isn't that funny that hosts have 2 wildly different reactions? It's either, "Why can't I do this?" and complaining. Or they can't believe how generous the program is. My top cooking show host did say that it was hard to find items she wanted to use up her FPV. What?!? I gently pushed her toward stocking up on gifts for the holidays. But she didn't book off herself. :(Every company's host program has quirks. And none of them are going to please everyone. At least ours is easier to implement now than when we used points for the free products. :D

Karen Hodge said:
Sorry, but I personally don't understand why hostess can't use her FPV to purchase the half-price and/or hostess specials. Either way they are going to get free stuff, what makes the difference if they choose to use it on the special or half-priced items or other items in the catalog???? Can someone explain this to me? I have had several hostess' get upset about this.

The reason they can't use there FPV towards 1/2 price items and host specials is because then they could technically be getting double in free products, they could have earned 60 in FPV and 2 half price items and pick out two things that equal 120 dollars and get it for free. It makes sense to me, I just think some people are greedy. Be thankful we don't charge you tax on free items or shipping some other companies charge you ridiculus for free prodcuts.

I had a show in September for another company, and their free product was very confusing. I got $20 for hosting, $17 for having bookings, and $17 for keeping my original date. But I couldn't combine the amounts to get something big and I couldn't go over each amount - I could select up to $20 in product(s) for that amount, but couldn't apply the $20 to a $25 item. It was fairly confusing, and I ended up with a bunch of small things. Oh - and I couldn't pick a gift set with my free value.

chefann said:
I had a show in September for another company, and their free product was very confusing. I got $20 for hosting, $17 for having bookings, and $17 for keeping my original date. But I couldn't combine the amounts to get something big and I couldn't go over each amount - I could select up to $20 in product(s) for that amount, but couldn't apply the $20 to a $25 item. It was fairly confusing, and I ended up with a bunch of small things. Oh - and I couldn't pick a gift set with my free value.

That's ridiculous! :rolleyes: I did a jewelry party and they charged me tax on $300 on products that I got FREE! I was so appalled and told her that every host program is different so everyone needs to realize that just because you're doing a show with a direct sales consultant, you still need to host coach!;)

Yeah, I just did a party with another company as well it and it was VERY confusing. She didn't coach me at all, but just kept saying "you know how this works..." Um, no I don't. Not for your company!

DebbieJ said:
Yeah, I just did a party with another company as well it and it was VERY confusing. She didn't coach me at all, but just kept saying "you know how this works..." Um, no I don't. Not for your company!

EXACTLY! Now I know what to do when I swap shows!:D

I have learned that you just can't please everyone!
I had a host back in June....don't really remember the sales, but she did get the 5&7 pc cookware for 1/2 price.(which she ended up sending back:eek: I had a thread about that awhile back) She got 2 bookings, both for July. I used the 'do you love a bargain' flyer (got here!) at the bottom it said "get 3 bookings get the host special for free". Well, she totally did NOT understand the booking benefit. At the second host's show that booked off her, she asked if her niece had a bridal shower if it could still count for her show & her getting the booking! I said "no, we would have needed that date at your show". Well, that's when she got ticked & sent back her cookware. THEN, she emailed HO to complain about me. I got a lovely call from HO to find out the whole story. The HO lady was very nice....she said "so you were giving something above & beyond what WE give & she's complaining?" They told me I did nothing wrong, & she was just confused. It still upsets me to think about her going above me like that & complaining. But, we definately can not please everyone:)

lacychef said:
I had a host back in June....don't really remember the sales, but she did get the 5&7 pc cookware for 1/2 price.(which she ended up sending back:eek: I had a thread about that awhile back) She got 2 bookings, both for July. I used the 'do you love a bargain' flyer (got here!) at the bottom it said "get 3 bookings get the host special for free". Well, she totally did NOT understand the booking benefit. At the second host's show that booked off her, she asked if her niece had a bridal shower if it could still count for her show & her getting the booking! I said "no, we would have needed that date at your show". Well, that's when she got ticked & sent back her cookware. THEN, she emailed HO to complain about me. I got a lovely call from HO to find out the whole story. The HO lady was very nice....she said "so you were giving something above & beyond what WE give & she's complaining?" They told me I did nothing wrong, & she was just confused. It still upsets me to think about her going above me like that & complaining. But, we definately can not please everyone:)

So I can assume you are NOT booking another show with this nice lady?

Here's how I explain it...

"Joan, Congrats! You're over $1000 dollars in sales!!! That means you get 4 items half price & you get to purchase our monthly host special which is XXX for 60% off! Now you pay the remaining balance + Tax on those items. You can not use your Free Product money to pay for them. Now, you don't have to purchase any of them, but it's a really great deal. You can use your half priced items for ANYTHING in the catalog or you can choose from Pampered Chef EXTRA VALUE COMBINATIONS in the back of the catalog! You also earned $215 in FREE merchandise! PLUS, if you go over the $215 you get 30% off of that amount! Isn't that fabulous?"

"When we close your show I'll ask you for the host special and half priced items you want first, then you'll just start reading off the remaining items on your wishlist. If you go over the $215 that's when your 30% discount kick in. For instance, if the remaining items on your wishlist end up being $265 then you'd subtract the $215 from the $265 which equals $50, of course! That's what you'd receive the discount on. So instead of paying $50 for those items, you'd only be paying $35! Do you have any questions?"

As a host, I never thought I got the discount 1st, but for some reason I always wanted to use the FPV to pay for my host special and halfpriced items.

lacychef said:

What a HAG!!! Can't believe it:eek:

PampMomof3 said:
I did a jewelry party and they charged me tax on $300 on products that I got FREE!

Could somebody explain this to me. I have seen this before but don't understand why we don't charge taxes on our hosts and guests free products but other companies do. How can they do it or how do we do it:confused:

Pampered Chef takes care of it for our customers and the other companies don't. Pampered Chef says FREE IS FREE!! You shouldn't be paying tax on free stuff so that's why they take care of it for you!:D

pamperedlinda said:
So I can assume you are NOT booking another show with this nice lady?

HA! I was going to send her a note appologizing for the misunderstanding, but I haven't yet. I'm just glad she hasn't bad-mouthed me to her friends (or maybe they're just ignoring it) cause they still do business with me.
Linda, want me to give you her info? :p

PampMomof3 said:
Pampered Chef takes care of it for our customers and the other companies don't. Pampered Chef says FREE IS FREE!! You shouldn't be paying tax on free stuff so that's why they take care of it for you!:D

I agree that u shouldn't pay taxes on something that is free, but I am wondering how other companies do it. One way has to be legal and one why must be wrong!!:confused: :confused:

Most Unwanted ListWe should all start a Most Unwanted List and pass it around for the most unwanted hosts. We should share names, addresses and even pics if we have them of some of the most unwanted hosts.
I can just picture it. It's funny.
We can ask the really bad hosts to pose for a picture with us at the close of the show, we can tell them it's for our scrapbook.
Then we can start up a site called Most Unwanted Pampered chef hosts
We can list their crimes against us and then rate them from 1-10 on a scale of
(1) stupid and not worth your time

to

(10) TOTALLY RUDE AND OBNOXIOUS, STAY AWAY!!

See the attached as an example of what we would see!!!!

LOL LOL :D :D :D

DEBBIE :D

Attachments

• MOST UNWANTED PAMPERED CHEF HOSTS.doc
    42.5 KB · Views: 454
That is HILARIOUS!!:D :D :D Thanks for giving me a hearty laugh before I start packing for my show!!:p

OMG Debbie that is soo funny:D The pics didn't come through, but I get the idea!! I take it you've had a few of these?:rolleyes: Thanks for the good laugh!

This would be a great visual aid for a class on host coaching!

Love It, very very funny:D

rennea said:
I agree that u shouldn't pay taxes on something that is free, but I am wondering how other companies do it. One way has to be legal and one why must be wrong!!:confused: :confused:

My NED called the HO on this. The HO actually covers the taxes on the free products for our hosts! Wow!

SO So funny! I get frustrated with these types, but they are sometimes what keeps my business going....so I have to be thankful for that. Bad hosts are better than no hosts!

But still so much fun to laugh about!

Karen Hodge said:
You know, that would be a good suggestion to send into PC. They do listen to us.

I personally feel that PC is overly generous with our hosts (and consultants - many direct sell companies charge the consultants for the specials - the cost comes out of commisison). If a host uses the specials and half off benefits to the fullest they can really get a deal on what they get. I have had a lot of hosts get over $500 in product for $100 - who wouldn't like that kind of deal? I have also had hosts who had no budget for spending (one spent $10 and the check bounced!). I hate that they lose their benefits - I agree that it's free stuff no matter what they spend it on.

Send the suggestion in!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
PCJenni
Replies
Views
grgann
  • Sheila
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views