• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Unbelievable Host Behavior: A Shocking Story from a Direct Sales Consultant

especially in terms of feeling 'owed.' Just be firm with her and explain you can't, in good conscience, use your family's grocery money to buy her extras that her show did not earn.
Kelly8
Ok, I just had to share this story because honestly I was just appalled at how funny this is.

This host is a sister of my sister's friend. She booked for late February, and I had told her when she booked that I wanted it closed by the 28th. She said that was fine. Get to her party on the 27th (hour and a half drive), and not too many people there! Left with about $200 some sales. In Feb, I was offering hosts the DCB for $20 if they had two bookings. She had one cooking show booking and one catalog. i told her that the catalog didn't count, and explained that i have to pay for extra incentives. She kept trying and trying to fanangle ways to get it, but i held firm.

So then she e-mails me her order. She wanted to order on her sister's order (phd) to bump up the levels. Then she ordered the Bamboo Claws which I told her she couldn't do because this was still technically a February show. So she asked if I had any shows coming up. I told her I did. She said because she wanted to order them under someone else, "you know, to avoid paying shipping." I told her that there would be some kind of shipping charge because i would then have to pay to send them to her. Then she says, (get this!), "Well, I know you guys have a discount month coming up in April! I used to sell this. I know it's coming!" Ohmigosh! Really? Okay, why do shows when i can just let everyone order products on my host discount! Wow! My jaw just dropped. I told her that I don't even use that discount, and anyways i wouldn't get paid on the order then. I am getting much more blunt with my business, but let's face it. It's no secret that partly the reason why consultants join is for money!

I just had to share-pretty crazy huh?:eek:

Oh and btw-she still isn't closed because she wanted to get more orders-yup a couple of sprinkles that the past host added to her order. Glad I waited!

And now you know why she "used" to sell this stuff. Bet she didn't last long in the business!:eek:

Why would she think that you would order them for her on your kit enhancement? That is just insane! It will be interesting to see what she wants from you with the bookings she got - and BTW, why couldn't she order the claws from one of those bookings? She'll get a 10% discount. Although, she'll probably want the host to order them for her with her discount and no shipping - after all, she used to sell this stuff, so she knows how to work the system!

I know! She's been driving me nuts. At the show i met her at (I say met loosely because i've known her since my teens), I was doing the prize drawing. She said that if she won she wants the Mini-Serving Spatula. I told her i don't give that away. Currently I do 3 recipe cards with either a citrus peeler, quikut knife, or small bamboo spoon in a cello bag with a twixit clip. She was so insistent that I finally told her, "Fine! If you book a show and I draw your name i'll give you the spatula." I really didn't think I would draw her name as there were quite a few people there. Well, I did! Hindsight is 20/20. I really wouldn't have been so generous!

Honestly, former DS reps can be among the most difficult hosts....especially in terms of feeling 'owed.' Just be firm with her and explain you can't, in good conscience, use your family's grocery money to buy her extras that her show did not earn.

(Whether your PC income goes directly to groceries or not, doesn't matter...indirectly it probably does. Really, would she ask the local gas station for a discount just because she uses them instead of the guy across the street?)

What a pain! Some people have entitlement issues. Our kit enhancement month is for us. It's one of the benefits of being a consultant. If she wants discounts and freebies, she should consider rejoining as a consultant!

You should have just looked at her and said, "Well, since you were a consultant, then you DO know how this works." And stuck to my guns...no special favors- because you know they will continue to bite you in the fanny.....when her friends host, and beyond.

legacypc46 said:
Honestly, former DS reps can be among the most difficult hosts....especially in terms of feeling 'owed.' Just be firm with her and explain you can't, in good conscience, use your family's grocery money to buy her extras that her show did not earn.

(Whether your PC income goes directly to groceries or not, doesn't matter...indirectly it probably does. Really, would she ask the local gas station for a discount just because she uses them instead of the guy across the street?)

I agree. I say all the time that I am in this to make money not spend money. (I say this to my team) This is my JOB. Granted, I love my job more than any other I have had! But it is still how I pay my bills and contribute to my household. I have my limits on what I will do for an extra incentive for my host. What it comes down to is that this great company has an AWESOME host program! The hosts get a lot of Free product and discounts without us contributing to it. My feelings are this... if I make a generous offer to a host for something free, please do not be rude enough to try to haggle MORE out of me! When my kids do that they loose the 1st perk too!! LOL!

chefcharity said:
I agree. I say all the time that I am in this to make money not spend money. (I say this to my team) This is my JOB. Granted, I love my job more than any other I have had! But it is still how I pay my bills and contribute to my household. I have my limits on what I will do for an extra incentive for my host. What it comes down to is that this great company has an AWESOME host program! The hosts get a lot of Free product and discounts without us contributing to it. My feelings are this... if I make a generous offer to a host for something free, please do not be rude enough to try to haggle MORE out of me! When my kids do that they loose the 1st perk too!! LOL!

That's such a great way of putting it. Oh, I definitely stuck to my guns for sure! Yeah, I'm definitely not letting non-consultants use the consutlant discount. And, yes, I do use this money for bills and groceries-it is my primary income. I also sub teach, but we all know how much that pays:eek:

The nerve of some people. Good for you, Kelly, for sticking to your guns.

That's one thing about being in the direct selling business--you meet ALL kinds of people, good and bad!

Hmmm, so she USED TO BE a consultant. I wonder if that's past tense because she used her consultant discount to be nice to people & therefore never had any commissionable sales???
hysterics.gif

She joined when new consultants got all the stoneware for free for qualifying (back when they came out the with the Cranberry color). She said her recruiter paid for the kit. I told her right away I wouldn't do that, and that recruiter must've needed something or else she wouldn't have been so eager to sign up someone (eager enough to eat the cost of the kit). According to the host, that recruiter is now done, having been fired for rigging shows somehow to be more than they worth or something like that. I did offer the opportunity to her, but honestly, I don't really think I want to work with her.

Kelly8 said:
She joined when new consultants got all the stoneware for free for qualifying (back when they came out the with the Cranberry color). She said her recruiter paid for the kit. I told her right away I wouldn't do that, and that recruiter must've needed something or else she wouldn't have been so eager to sign up someone (eager enough to eat the cost of the kit). According to the host, that recruiter is now done, having been fired for rigging shows somehow to be more than they worth or something like that. I did offer the opportunity to her, but honestly, I don't really think I want to work with her.

With that story, I don't think I'd even want to offer her the opportunity. She really sounds like one of those something-for-nothing kind of people.

Sheila said:
Hmmm, so she USED TO BE a consultant. I wonder if that's past tense because she used her consultant discount to be nice to people & therefore never had any commissionable sales???
hysterics.gif

Tee-hee-hee . . . I'm still chuckling over this one, Sheila. :D

Sandi

1. Can you give an example of unbelievable host behavior?

Yes, one instance was when a host asked her guests to bring their own food and drinks to the party, despite the consultant providing food and refreshments as part of the experience.

2. How did the consultant react to the host's behavior?

The consultant was shocked and taken aback, but remained professional and continued to provide a high-quality presentation and customer service to the guests.

3. Did the host's behavior affect the success of the party?

Unfortunately, yes. The guests were not as engaged and enthusiastic due to the lack of provided refreshments and the host's behavior. This ultimately resulted in lower sales and bookings for the consultant.

4. How can a consultant handle a similar situation in the future?

The consultant can politely remind the host of the expectations and benefits of hosting a party, including the provided food and drinks. If the host still insists on their own behavior, the consultant can offer to provide a small gift or discount to the guests as a gesture of apology for the inconvenience.

5. Is this type of behavior common among hosts?

No, this type of behavior is not common among hosts. Most hosts are excited to host a party and are willing to follow the guidelines set by the consultant to ensure a successful and enjoyable experience for all.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
baychef
  • ChefBeckyD
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
StacieB
  • Suzyengl
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies