• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Choosing the Right Family Skillet for Shows

place the chicken in the pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through. Then, remove from pan and enjoy!
KayPT
I keep reading about alternatives to the DCB for shows and people mention the family skillet. Which one are you talking about? The stainless or non-stick and what size? I need to get the one that will be the most versatile and to change up my shows. Thanks!

KayPT said:
I keep reading about alternatives to the DCB for shows and people mention the family skillet. Which one are you talking about? The stainless or non-stick and what size? I need to get the one that will be the most versatile and to change up my shows. Thanks!

Executive, 12" Family Skillet :D

Great, thanks!

I'm seriously think about getting the grilling skillet. It's pricey, but for summer I can use it to do show's inside when it's hot outside. What do you think....

If I didn't own either, I'd first get the 12 in skillet. You can use it for so much. Plus, with it being grilling season now, people will be more interested in buying outdoor grilling/entertaining products. The grill pan is great for when it's crummy outside. :D I love my grill pan and do use it. But the 12 in skillet is more versatile.

I have to admit I hardly ever use my grill pan.I love the 12 inch skillet! It holds a gallon of food. You can make cakes in it and put it in the oven. I put my stainless in the oven too.They say you can use stainless under the broiler too. I've never tried.

I don't have the grill pan and would like to get it but I do have the 12" skillet and couldn't live without it, we use it all the time. Savory dishes and sweets, works great for both.

Have both the grill pan and 12" skillet. Love them both. I do use the skillet more but the grill pan makes the best grilled chicken! So moist and juicy. Ever time I use that pan for a show to make chicken, everyone is shocked how good it comes out. I literally don't do anything but clean them and flatten them. Comes out so flavorful. Believe it or not I sell more grill pans than skillet pans, just with the 1 recipe I make.

Wow! That is awesome Lisa! I have the grill pan and 12" executive skillet on my kit enhancement for next month! It will be my 4th month and I really think I will use the heck out of both of them!

Liquid Sky said:
Executive, 12" Family Skillet :D

ditto, I made a cake in it for one party and sold 1, plus the host bought one.

I have the 12 inch skillet but have never used it in a show...So maybe get the grill pan, grill chicken breast with spices, make a salad, and use the baker for the lava cake....show complete

I have the 12" stainless steel skillet. Use it all the time.
You can use it at higher temperatures in the oven and on the stove as well. The recipes that calls for de-glazing (pour liquid on the brown -burned on - bits on bottom of pan) will work wonderfully. You can use metal spatulas etc and will not get the bottom scratched. (the SS is healthier - because i believe that any non stick surface is bad for us IMO)
Plus the SS is already comes with the lid.

vgibsonrn said:
I'm seriously think about getting the grilling skillet. It's pricey, but for summer I can use it to do show's inside when it's hot outside. What do you think....

I use my grill pan at least 2 nights a week. Sometimes, in the desert it is just too hot to stand in front of the barbecue. I love the grill pan. If you plan on using it, I'd say "but it!"

I understand what you are saying Zsu! But I have always been a nonstick girl...and I just don't know if I would like using SS....I mean, I would probably love it, once I get used to it....but what would I burn in the process...heheh!

abigailhutch said:
I understand what you are saying Zsu! But I have always been a nonstick girl...and I just don't know if I would like using SS....I mean, I would probably love it, once I get used to it....but what would I burn in the process...heheh!

I had some customers who I visited after they got their new SS cookware and thaught them how to make eggs sunny side up in their SS cookware. They love the personal training.

If you want to cook a chicken breast, or any meat for that matter in your SS skillet, then first heat it up over medium heat. Use some oil or fat then once the edge of the pan is med. hot-hot to the touch then you can place the meat in it. NOW its really important, do not try to move the meat anywhere, because it sticks and if it sticks then it will not go anywhere. WAIT until the meat cooked through about 1/2 or 2/3 way then it will release much easier. Use a metal spatula, turn over and continue cooking until done. You will notice the brown bits on the bottom of pan. (in some recipes these brown bits are crucial for the final outcome, for flavor and color of the pan sauce, you do not get brown bits in a nonstick skillet) At this point you can add any liquid and with the lid on finish cooking until done. You can also put it in a warm oven (with the lid on) and finish there, the result will be more tender. Until it's done in the oven you can finish everything else on the stovetop. Even though you can put a nonstick in the oven the temperature cannot be as high as for the SS. Also SS can handle the broil temp too which for certain recipes it is a nice option.

OH I am not a chef of any training, i just learned over the years. :chef: Also the food channel, some of the shows are really high quality, can teach you a lot of great tips etc. OH yes I am a Pampered Chef :D

I do understand that there is a perference for nonstick cookware. I just like the SS better.

Thanks everyone. I just ordered the executive 12" skillet. Now I need to start searching recipes! :)

Zsu said:
I had some customers who I visited after they got their new SS cookware and thaught them how to make eggs sunny side up in their SS cookware. They love the personal training.

If you want to cook a chicken breast, or any meat for that matter in your SS skillet, then first heat it up over medium heat. Use some oil or fat then once the edge of the pan is med. hot-hot to the touch then you can place the meat in it. NOW its really important, do not try to move the meat anywhere, because it sticks and if it sticks then it will not go anywhere. WAIT until the meat cooked through about 1/2 or 2/3 way then it will release much easier. Use a metal spatula, turn over and continue cooking until done. You will notice the brown bits on the bottom of pan. (in some recipes these brown bits are crucial for the final outcome, for flavor and color of the pan sauce, you do not get brown bits in a nonstick skillet) At this point you can add any liquid and with the lid on finish cooking until done. You can also put it in a warm oven (with the lid on) and finish there, the result will be more tender. Until it's done in the oven you can finish everything else on the stovetop. Even though you can put a nonstick in the oven the temperature cannot be as high as for the SS. Also SS can handle the broil temp too which for certain recipes it is a nice option.

OH I am not a chef of any training, i just learned over the years. :chef: Also the food channel, some of the shows are really high quality, can teach you a lot of great tips etc. OH yes I am a Pampered Chef :D

I do understand that there is a preference for nonstick cookware. I just like the SS better.

ZSu,
I love love love all my stainless, but I sure can't cook eggs sunny side up in it. Can you please give us a brief explanation? since one of my grand openings will be in cookware month! (yay!) thanks in advance

Really love your idea of visiting customers to help them learn to use their stainless.

Marghi

What size family skillet should I choose for my shows?

The size of the family skillet you choose will depend on the size of your family, the types of dishes you plan on cooking, and how much leftovers you want to have. For smaller families or those who prefer to cook individual portions, a 10-inch skillet may be sufficient. For larger families or those who like to cook in bulk, a 12-inch skillet would be a better option.

What material is best for a family skillet?

The most commonly used materials for family skillets are stainless steel, cast iron, and non-stick coatings. Stainless steel skillets are durable and versatile, but may not be as non-stick as other materials. Cast iron skillets are great for searing and can withstand high heat, but may require more maintenance. Non-stick coatings are ideal for cooking delicate foods, but may not be as durable as other materials. Ultimately, the best material for you will depend on your personal cooking preferences and needs.

Do I need a lid for my family skillet?

While a lid is not necessary for all dishes, it can be helpful to have one for dishes that require longer cooking times or for keeping food warm. If you plan on cooking a variety of dishes, it may be beneficial to have a family skillet with a lid. If not, you can always purchase a separate lid that fits your skillet.

Can I use metal utensils with my family skillet?

It is generally recommended to use non-metal utensils with non-stick or enamel-coated family skillets to avoid damaging the surface. However, with stainless steel and cast iron skillets, metal utensils can be used without any issues. Just be sure to avoid using sharp metal utensils that may scratch the surface.

What features should I look for in a family skillet?

Some important features to consider when choosing a family skillet include the material, size, depth, handles, and weight. You'll want to make sure the skillet is made of a durable material, is the right size for your family's needs, and has a comfortable handle for easy maneuvering. The depth of the skillet can also be important for cooking certain dishes, and the weight can affect how easy it is to handle and clean the skillet.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Tracy99
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
Replies
Views
chefann
  • chefkristin
  • Products and Tips
Replies