• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Nervous Beginnings: My 1st Cooking Show

In summary, the new cook is very nervous for her first show. She is preparing by gathering her kit, catalogs, and bingo game supplies. She will make Cheesy Ham and Broccoli Wedges and the Turtle Skillet Cake. She will also make pumpkin chips with the cookie cutters and some dip. The host rewards will be discussed, and some products will be mentioned. The guest special will also be mentioned. The host will have a party or catalog. Finally, any tips or advice will be shared.
mommylove_07
My 1st cooking show is coming up and I am very nervous. It is a week from Sunday. I just don't think I know everything that I need to know. I need to take the training on the website. I hope I do okay.

I need to have my kit. Catalogs. I am doing the bingo game. (Host was excited about that!) Taking xmas wishlist. Prize for the drawing.

I am going to make Cheesy Ham and Broccoli Wedges and the Turtle Skillet Cake. Planning on leaving the spatula in the pan while it bakes. (Is that a good idea?) Plan on having the cake done before the guest get there or almost done, so they can see how easy it comes out of the skillet.

Also going to make pumpkin chips with the cookie cutters and some dip. (will make this before I go)

Talk about the host rewards, mention the guest special. Talk about some of the products, becoming a consultant. Hosting a party or catalog.

Any other tips or things to mention?

One tip I have for you is not to make so many recipes when you are just starting out. We are there to show off the tools not focus on the food. I was really nervous for my first show too. Just be yourself and let them know that they get to be your guinea pigs. Make a joke about it. And relax. You will do fine. My first show was over $700 in sales and I knew nothing!

RELAX! Joke around with your customers - they won't bite. And if they're at your first show, chances are good that they already know you and want you to succeed. Keeping things simple as you start will help you fit everything in, like bookings talk, etc. Use the show outline cards from your kit - they include tips about the products and reminders to talk about recruiting and bookings. And if anyone asks about them, you can mention how HO provides everything we need to get started - even show outlines!

Have FUN!!! Remember to relax and go with the flow. My first few shows I just made a simple card with key points that I wanted to talk about. Then at the end I scanned the card to make sure I covered everything. You already know alot about PC products so put your knowledge to work. You will do fine! Remember to Smile!!

I had index cards at my first few shows and told the guests that I would be using them to guide me so that I wouldn't forget to tell them about all the fantastic things that The Pampered chef has to offer them. It helped big time! If I ever stumbled I just simply picked up a card and moved forward! Good luck! OH- and defintely less recipes! I did 3 at my last show and it was wayyyyy to much. (one being the 30 min chicken) Thought I could handle it I was wrong!

Being a new consultant myself, I think the best advice I got was practice out loud. I found myself practicing on my way to my full time job and on my way home. I'd turn off the radio, keep my index cards on my lap to glance at a few times, and would just try to go with what I remembered. I know for myself, I found it difficult doing different recipes for each show I had, so I've now just told them 3 different recipes to choose from. Also, like everyone else has said, mention to them this is your x number show and just ask them to bare with you. I had my 3rd show this weekend for my cousin, and just said "Today is my third show I'm doing as a consultant, so please bare with me, and feel free to ask me any questions, and I'll try and answer them the best I can today." I got a lot of good responses from the host. If you tell them that much, most of them will understand. I did a lot of the training before my first show. Even if it was only 5 minutes at a time, at least I was doing it. I also watched the cooking show on the dvd about 8 times. Helps you get an idea of how to do everything with guests....hope I was a help and didn't go on too much!

Good luck with your first show - just be yourself - let them know that you are doing your first show and I'm sure you'll do great. I agree with the others as far as practicing out loud as well. Just curious why you want to leave the spatula in the skillet while it bakes? Personally, I wouldn't want to take the chance and ruin it and it might seem strange to the guests as well. Just my thought.

Have fun!:)

I have had a consultant tell me that she has done this to show that the spatula holds up to the heat.

mommylove_07 said:
I have had a consultant tell me that she has done this to show that the spatula holds up to the heat.
Do you mean one of the silicone scrapers? That spatula? I'm curious about that too, only because the handle is plastic and the part would melt because it's not heat safe up to 650 like the silicone. I've never tried that, so I guess I'm just assuming.....:eek:

I was really nervous for my first show too and it was just for 2 guests.. one of which was my mom! LOL... In hindsight, we had a blast, I sold enough to make a show and I learned a lot. I think that's really the goal for the first show. Don't beat yourself up if you forget something during a show... don't be afraid to make the best of whatever happens... breathe and relax... Oh and practice the recipe beforehand. I did that and was really glad. I made two of the new consultant recipes and had my family try them out... it gave me confidence to do it in front of folks and to know how things worked within the recipe. I'm still working on getting all the elements worked into my shows and still get nervous... you should have seen me before my third show last Sunday! I was a wreck... and even made a few mistakes during the food show part but had a great show! Also had 2 future bookings from it... which was a first for me. Just try to relax... practice the recipes... use the equipment... breathe... the online training can be helpful but what it all comes down to is doing your best and letting go of the rest.

Definately make only 1 recipe, and practice if from beginning to end, at least once before the show!! TRUST ME, this helps alot!! I still do that when I make something new & I always think to myself, "Wow, glad I made that mistake here & NOT in front of a big crowd!!"
If you do mess up, make a joke out of it~I'm sure lots of seasoned reps will tell you they still do something "wrong", or forget things or whatever!!
Most importantly, Be yourself & have fun!! If you're doing something that not "you", they'll see right through it~but by being yourself, your guests will have a great time & I'm sure you'll have a successful first show!!
Good Luck & let us know how it goes!!

pamperedbecky said:
Do you mean one of the silicone scrapers? That spatula? I'm curious about that too, only because the handle is plastic and the part would melt because it's not heat safe up to 650 like the silicone. I've never tried that, so I guess I'm just assuming.....:eek:
Yes- the scrapers. I know someone who accidentally baked one in a pan (stoneware, of course) of brownies, and it came out looking just like when she used it to scrape the bowl. The inside of the bakeware doesn't reach anywhere near 650 degrees (or even 350).

If it makes you feel any better, none of us knows it all. (Well, except maybe Ann. :)) You'll never have all the answers. The best answer you can give a customer is, "I'm not sure, but I'll find out for you." Then, actually hunt down the answer and contact your customer with the information. You'll become "The Pampered Chef Lady" in their minds. Customer satisfaction is okay, but customer loyalty will build you a successful business.Besides, someone else already gave you my "practice out loud" advice.

chefann said:
Yes- the scrapers. I know someone who accidentally baked one in a pan (stoneware, of course) of brownies, and it came out looking just like when she used it to scrape the bowl. The inside of the bakeware doesn't reach anywhere near 650 degrees (or even 350).
The handle doesn't melt? I've had people whose handles have melted when they leave them in the pan, resting on the edge of the pan while it's just on the stovetop.

Don't forget to breath!! When I signed with PC I had never even been to a PC show before. So the first show I ever went to was the first show as a Consultant. Thanks to PC for giving me the tools I needed. I watched How to Host My First PC show at least 4 times taking notes all along. Try to relax and have fun. If you make a mistake laugh it off (I still do). I tell people "I may be pampered, but I'm not perfect". Everyone laughs. Every show is different, it does get a little easier.

pamperedbecky said:
The handle doesn't melt? I've had people whose handles have melted when they leave them in the pan, resting on the edge of the pan while it's just on the stovetop.
Because on the stovetop, the pan reaches more than 350°F. But in the oven, it won't. The handles may not be safe to a full 650°, but they're safe above 350°.

1. How can I prepare for my first cooking show as a Pampered Chef consultant?

To prepare for your first cooking show, it is important to practice your recipes beforehand and familiarize yourself with all the products and tools you will be using. You can also reach out to your mentor or other experienced consultants for tips and advice.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid during a cooking show?

Some common mistakes to avoid include not giving yourself enough time to set up before the show, not engaging with your audience, and not following the recipes or product demonstrations correctly. It is also important to have all necessary ingredients and supplies ready beforehand.

3. How do I handle technical difficulties during my cooking show?

Before your show, make sure to test all your equipment and have backup plans in case of technical difficulties. If issues do arise during the show, stay calm and try to troubleshoot the problem. If necessary, you can always reschedule the show or continue without the use of certain equipment.

4. How can I make my cooking show more interactive and engaging for my audience?

There are many ways to make your cooking show more interactive and engaging. You can ask your audience questions, have them participate in certain steps of the recipes, or even incorporate games or prizes. It is also important to be enthusiastic and passionate about the products you are demonstrating.

5. What are some tips for booking more shows after my first one?

To book more shows after your first one, make sure to follow up with your guests and thank them for attending. You can also offer incentives for hosting a show, such as free products or discounts. Don't be afraid to ask for referrals or to reach out to potential hosts through social media or other networking opportunities.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• redsoxgirl
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
PamperChefCarol
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Mariaandcassy
  • Products and Tips
Replies