• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Skillet vs Grill Pan: Choosing the Most Versatile Cookware for Your Kitchen

In summary, the conversation revolves around the best option for cookware to use at shows. The participants suggest getting a skillet, grill pan and press, or both. The skillet is deemed the most versatile and practical for daily use, while the grill pan and press are more of a specialty item. The participants also mention using the cookware for shows and getting their husbands on board with the quality of the product. Overall, the consensus is to get the skillet first and possibly invest in the grill pan and press later.

Skillet for Grill Pan w/ press

• Family sized Skillet

Votes: 35 79.5%
  • Grill Pan w/ press

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • None of the above

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Kathytnt
I need help I have a half-priced option or FPV froma show to use. Which do you find the most versatile. I like the idea of the panini's and the tortatinis but the skillet cakes look good too. The only piece of cookware I have is a small saute pan

What should I get???? In a perfect world I could win a shopping spree at conference but what are the chances right?

Kathy,The skillet is a must have. The grill pan and press is a close second. I use my skillet almost every day and the grill pan is more of a specialty item - of course, hubby grills on "the grill". Plan to get the grill pan and press next time, so start saving!

I have a skillet and a grill pan in use at the house already with the cookware my hubby had when we got married - I am looking for something to bring with me to shows or just save the money for now and get something else. I can't talk him into the cookware because he thinks what we have not is fine. I feel like I am missing out some on cookware sales by not showing it more but the saute pan doesn't show off much

I have both and love them both. I say get the skillet. I have cooked in it at shows on a hot plate before and loved doing it and got great comments about the show. I did not sale the skillet but that did end up being on og my highest shows. I use it almost everyday.

I use the grill pan but not as much. I agree to get the skillet first and the next time get the grill pan and press.

When I buy something for my shows, I like to buy something that I will use at home too. That way I am getting more uses out of it and do not feel guilty about the money.

I vote both...but then again, I just bought 22 binders that I don't need. So maybe I am not the best one to ask - LOL

My husband was the same way about the cookware until I got a few pieces and we both started using them. Now he reaches for the PC ones instead of the others.

If you plan to use this yourself, the 12" skillet is something you'll use almost every day. I think its the most versatile piece in the collection!

On the other hand, I tend to use the grill pan more at shows (I really love the tortatinis). We also use it at home a lot....but in terms of a business investment...I'd go for the grill pan.

just my thoughts
kris

I would have to say get the skillet. It is something you will use every day. And, when your husband sees the great quality of the piece he will be wanting to get a whole set. I actually have the grill pan and have never used it. I do use the grill press at my restaurant.

I vote skillet... I love doing rice krispie treats at shows in it to show off the non-stick. And it goes so well with the new mix-n-chop...

The skillet is more versatile. If you're getting just one, that's the one I'd choose.The Furry Guy wasn't all that interested in the cookware. I was hosting when I got my first family-size skillet. When I showed him that my half-price skillet was the same price as the cheap stuff, he agreed it was a good deal. The next show I hosted, I got a set of the Generation II (the only cookware available at the time.) Now he tells everyone how great our cookware is. We've graduated to the Executive set, and he thinks it's worth every penny of full price. Of course, since I became a consultant, we spend more time in cooking stores comparing the stuff there with PC, so he's much more aware of the true comparisons.

My vote is for the skillet, too. And after you have a killer month (or next year's kit enhancement), get the grill pan.

THE SKILLET!! I love it for roasting, frying, baking. It is so versatile. Normally when I use it at a show I get one or two orders from it.

I have both the grill pan and press. Really wanted them, just haven't used them much. Need to get them out and play.

That was a tough one for me - I have both and use both all the time, and LOVE them!

But, since you are wanting to use it for shows - I had to vote for the skillet - for the very practical reason of it being lighter to carry! That darn grill press is just so heavy! It practically needs a tote all it's own!:eek: :rolleyes:

I have both, and I prefer the skillet! It's the most versatile piece that I have! The grill pan is great too, but I WAY prefer the skillet! Thanks for asking!

Skillet all the way!For what it's worth, at my shows and fairs I tell customers that the 12" Skillet is my most treasured kitchen tool. There is nothing it won't do! Everytime I think I have found the "best" reason to be glad I have one, another best reason comes along!

Case in point - last week I NEEDED to make spaghetti with meat sauce. I am fifteen weeks pregnant, so you get the "needed" part. I bought lean ground beef and browened it in the skillet with some chopped onions and garlic. After it was done, I added a large can of diced tomatoes with basil and oregano, a large jar of plain Ragu, a can of mushrooms and a can of sliced black olives. I let this simmer for a few hours and it was PERFECT - NO MESS - ONE PAN!!! (I LOVE the 5 quart capacity!) I shared my sauce story at a fair this past weekend and sold a skillet and lid just from my cooking joy!

I LOVE THE SKILLET!!!

Honesty being an important factor, there is one down side to the skillet - it is huge!!! I have trouble putting it away. It's hard to fit through the cabinet door. Since I use it sooo often though I am storing it in my oven at the moment, until I give away more of my less beloved kitchen stuff.

Bexamo said:
Honesty being an important factor, there is one down side to the skillet - it is huge!!! I have trouble putting it away. It's hard to fit through the cabinet door. Since I use it sooo often though I am storing it in my oven at the moment, until I give away more of my less beloved kitchen stuff.
That one point about the cookware is why I wish we had a coordinating pot rack. I got one from a home store a few years ago and love it! It's so much easier to store our cookware by hanging it than to try to fit it into a cupboard, and try not to scratch it stacking it.

dannyzmom said:
I vote both...but then again, I just bought 22 binders that I don't need. So maybe I am not the best one to ask - LOL

LOL...I just read that thread last night ...about the 22 binders....so that was funny this morning!!! LOL

I use the Family Skillet almost everytime I cook at home...But here lately I've used the Grill Pan a lot at shows...
In April I used it for the Jerk Chicken Salad...and in May for the Margarita Grilled Shrimp...
A true toss up...it depends on how you cook...
Probably the Family Skillet is more versatile, and more people could see needing it.

I voted for the grill pan and press because I am in love with it. But I use the Family Skillet almost everyday!

WIll the grill press work on the Skillet?? I know it would not get teh grill marks but you might still be the panini's and tortatini's

Kathy, I just posted in the other thread about this...

The press will not work with the Family skillet. It scrapes the sides and will ruin the nonstick. But you can use it with the griddles, because the food will be thicker than the sides are tall.

What is the difference between a skillet and a grill pan?

A skillet is a flat-bottomed pan with slightly sloped sides, typically used for sautéing, frying, and searing food. A grill pan, on the other hand, has raised ridges or grooves on the cooking surface, which mimic the appearance of a grill and allow for grill marks on food.

Can a skillet be used as a grill pan?

Technically, yes. However, the lack of ridges on a skillet's surface may affect the appearance and texture of grilled foods. A grill pan is specifically designed for grilling and will provide better results.

What types of food can be cooked on a skillet or grill pan?

Both a skillet and a grill pan can be used to cook a variety of foods, including meats, vegetables, and even sandwiches. However, a grill pan is better suited for foods that benefit from the grill marks and smoky flavor, such as burgers, steaks, and skewers.

How do I clean a skillet or grill pan?

To clean a skillet or grill pan, first let it cool down completely. Then, use a non-abrasive sponge or brush and warm soapy water to scrub off any food residue. For tougher stains, you can use a mixture of baking soda and water. Avoid using metal utensils or harsh cleaners, as they can damage the surface of the pan.

Do I need to season a skillet or grill pan?

It is recommended to season both a skillet and a grill pan before use. This helps create a non-stick surface and prevent food from sticking to the pan. To season, coat the pan with a thin layer of oil and heat it on the stove or in the oven for a few minutes. Wipe off any excess oil and the pan is ready to use.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
doughmama
  • Poll
  • straitfan
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
straitfan
  • Poll
  • jessicafawn