• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can't Pin People Down to a Date....

In summary, Tara is trying to get people to commit to hosting a show, but is having difficulty doing so. She has teamed up with a consultant and is hosting her own show this month, but is hoping to get more shows booked.
tafaye
Ok so I have been at this for about a month and a 1/2. I have told every person I know that I am doing this now, and some said cool and others said hey i want to host a show. So I asked them when they would like to host, I was setting up parties for August and September. And well I can't get anyone to commit to a date.

There are 3 people I just can't pin down. I have talked with them several times, have even gone as far as saying here is the calendar what day is best for you. Even said that I don't want to book there date, and if something comes up we can reschedule. And NADA.

I have teamed up with a Stapin up Consultant who knows allot of people. She is having her open house this weekend and is going to pass out catalogs and order forms.

I have had 2 cat shows, and 2 cooking shows, one of the cooking show was my own, and well, i don't have one order from it. I have handed out order forms, and am hoping to get the show to count. I really wanted to qualify in my first 30 days, and since the only show i have booked is in October I am not sure what to do.

Any Suggestions?:confused:

Tara,
You'll hear this from others here--once you get out of your friends circle, things will be much better! I have a dear friend who keeps postponing her show. So I plugged along without counting on her. I'm even hosting my own show this month--and she's invited (heck, I'll even give her a discount--I'm not holding anything against her). It's just that sometimes, it's our friends who can't get it together for us for whatever reason. My first show was in my home. My neighbor came and booked a show. From her show I booked her cousin--and just last month I did a show for her cousin's friend. See! That's how you build.Don't get frustrated--get creative! This next show I'm having, I've invited the front desk person at our credit union--and she's bringing her sister. I did a customer care call last night with a person from a show last month, and now she's having a show (even though she didn't indicate that at the party). So, perserverance, fellow Cheffer! That's what it takes!Good luck!P.S. I did take catalogs to my in-laws who live in another city. Between my two in-law families, I had a $600 catalog show and gave my mother-in-law the hostess benefits! So you never know!

Tara, I agree with Cathy ... once you get out of your circle of friends and family, it is MUCH better. I still have a friend of mine that has been meaning to have a show ever since i joined about 1.5 years ago and she still hasnt done one .. she is very interested in doing one, even wants to join my team, but things just keep coming up. I dont blame her though, she has four kids, one is a newborn, one is 13 months old and the other two are 3 and 10 .. so i know she has her hands full. One th ing you could try (besides going outside of your circle of friends) is to host a mystery catalog show ... get everyone you know to collect SOME orders and the person that collects the most gets the benefits. Be honest with them, tell them you really need their help or your dream of being your own boss is not going to happen. Ironically, people seem to want to help when they think you are in trouble LOL ... or just start handing out catalogs to everyone you come in contact with, give incentives for hosting their own show. Oh and definately talk up the sept host special .. that has gotten me about 4 cooking shows alone! Everyone wants those new pans!! Hopefully it works for me! Good luckw ith everything, stick it out and see if your recruiter/director have any more suggestions for you or can help you out in any way!

This happens... just hang in there... I started in March and had friends who said they would host for me and still nothing.:grumpy: My best advice is to let them book at their own pace. If they host before they're ready, they're not going to do what is needed of them to make the show a success. Keep them informed about upcoming host specials and send them your monthly newsletter (if you're going to do one.) I tried to make it a point NOT to ask them everytime I talked to or saw them so they wouldn't feel like I was pressuring them or anything. These friends are now slowly booking as the timing is right for them.
You might also try offering them theme shows that fit their personalities for when they are ready... chocolate, Jimmy Buffett, etc... there are some great ideas for those on this site.:cool: Or, offer a FREE show if they book and hold within a certain time frame (this just means YOU buy the groceries!)
Keep up the good work... If I've learned anything from my business already it's that you have to be patient yet persistant... virtues I stuggle with daily, and it's hard to find a balance, espeially with your friends!

Hi, Tara -

First, congratulations on your choice to begin your new business! If you haven't done it yet, definitely get going on the classes on Consultant's Corner. Shape your mind and it will shape your business.

Careful of giving the guests too much control of your calendar - remember, as much as you want people to book a show with you, that they are getting a lot more out of it, than you are! A mistake that some of my early recruits made, is thinking "who am I going to get to have a show for me?" -- instead of the better thought "which of all the friends I know, am I going to provide this great service for - first?"... It seems to be a simple mind shift, but is very powerful...perception is 95% of your success; the other 5% is made up of hard work.

A book I read puts it very well - instead of approaching early shows from the "gosh I hope I get some" perspective, know that in addition to 12* host rewards (yes, there really are!) that you are also providing your hosts with a unique experience - from which they get the respect and admiration of their friends...
1. free items
2. specially picked host specials at 60% off each month
3. up to 4 items at 50% off
4. special half-price combinations available only to hosts, on the last page of catalog
5. booking bonus of the 60% off host special at anyone who books from your show within 6 monhts
6. PHD of 10% off any purchases for a year
7. Full opportunity to take advantage of any guest specials this month, and in future months
8. Free shipping at your show
9. Discount of 15 - 30% on any other purchases at your show
10. Opportunity to work closely with a fantastic consultant - YOU
11. Opportunity to buy-down the starter kit with Free product value dollars,
12. Opportunity to begin a fulfilling business of your own.

Go back to anyone who showed interest, and borrow some of the techniques our 'sisters in Mary Kay' use: This is such a great deal for you as a host, wouldn't you agree (nodding your head until they reply) ? So, -future host-, would you prefer a weekend or a weeknight show?

If weekend - great! Saturday the 12th or Sunday the 13th? The 13th it is, then. Shall we do an evening at 7pm or a brunch event?

If weeknight, fantastic! My next available date is Friday the 18th. Shall we say 6:30 or 7pm?

--if they say "let me check with my girlfriends and see when they can get together", refer back to your experience as a host...you know, -future host-, not everyone will be available on any given night. I know from my own experience, that about half the people I invited, just couldn't make it the night of my show. No date is magically going to work for everyone, but I do want to get you into my calendar now, because it will be filled this fall from the fantastic new items we will be offering, and the amazing host specials Pampered Chef has chosen.

It's not about being pushy - push that thought right out of your head. It is about being in charge of your most precious asset for your business - your TIME. If you wanted to get an appointment with someone significant, a judge, a doctor, a congressman - would you just call and say you wanted to see them on Thursday a week from now? Of course not! You would ask what their next possible appointment time is. Treat yourself as a someone significant...you are!

Finally - only offer them TWO choices, and they will typically pick the second choice. From my perspective, having the host pick a date out of the blue is counter-productive from two ends...ONE, it lets them think their opportunity is available at any time (and it is, but not with you it's not, because you are a successful consultant who will be booked!) and TWO it gives you control over your calendar. Again - go take the trainings on Consultant's Corner and you will see your business boom!

Good luck - God Bless You - and let us all know how it's going!

- praying for Paige and her family -

I 100% agree with everything Scott said. You need to be in control of your calendar, not just tell them to "pick a date". I always ask people first - do you want a Friday night or a Sunday afternoon show? (the 2 days of the week I do shows typically). After they answer that question, I tell them the dates I have available in the month they are looking at, get them to commit on a date, then say the time that is best for me. They need you to lead them through it - they are totally clueless about how it works and it's really hard to just "pick a date" off the top of their head. If they know that there are only 2-3 days that you can do it, and they want to help you, they'll pick one of those dates and make it work. Hang in there - it does get better with time and practice, but start practicing this approach with people you know NOW, so it becomes easier w/people you don't know later!! GL!

I have been lucky with (most) family members. They have been very supportive. My SIL actually did my first show. But, I guess you don't want to hear that! LOL You want advice! :)

I am working with a Director on my goals and one thing that she has challenged me with is to make contact once a day with a "service" business that I deal with (hairdresser, esthetician, garage, drugstore, grocery store, bank, post office, coffee shop, restaurants....the possibilities are endless!!). Maybe that could work for you as well. I find it harder to ask family members than to ask strangers (although that's difficult for me too).

All the advice is great and really appreciate it all.

I probably said some things unclear at the beginning. The first thing I did was sat down with my calendar, wrote in my goal for each month, my $$ goal and my show goals. Then I circled the amount of days needed each month to achieve my goals. So that just as all of you suggested I would be in control of my own schedule.

I am just trying to make my first 2 goals. 4 shows in the month of august and to qualify in my first 30 days. I have had 2 catty shows and my show, (which has NO orders yet) for august and I had one show in July. So I need 1 more for august. And am trying to figure out how I am going to qualify.

I work part time at banana republic and have given oof and catalogs to anyone who would take them and told them if I hit a show goal of 150 in sales that I will qualify as a consultant in my first 30 days and would appreciate there help to get me to that goal. I hope when I get back there next week I will have a box of orders, and at least that will be a starting point.

So I guess I am looking at this all the right way, I talk to everyone and hand out business cards all day! So I guess all I can do is wait. I hope to get some leads from the Stampit Consultant.

Thank you so much for all the ideas, I will be using them!

Have you told them your goal? It's really helpful to say, "I need one more show to meet my goal! Would you like to set a date for your show?" Try it!

/comfort

I just had another cancellation due to "wedding planning." I'm not meeting my goal of 4 shows a month for August or September! I'm starting to exhaust my list of contacts.

Tara,
Looks like you're doing all the right things...now just a little faith....Last month, I was trying to figure out how I was going to come up with my 2nd show of the month so that I could get the stainless saute pan. I tried putting a show together with friends. Nada. I finally said, oh, well. Guess it won't happen. The next day, the doorbell rang. My neighbor came over to tell me that her cousin's friend wanted to do a show next week. I couldn't believe it! I jumped at the chance, and I had a $508 show with only a week's notice! Had the show on July 26 and submitted on July 31.

finley1991 said:
Have you told them your goal? It's really helpful to say, "I need one more show to meet my goal! Would you like to set a date for your show?" Try it!
This is great to use anytime. Figure out what you want and set that goal!:thumbup:

tafaye said:
I have had 2 catty shows and my show, (which has NO orders yet) for august

Was your show a cooking show? How did you go about the invites? How many showed? How did you present?

tafaye said:
So I guess I am looking at this all the right way, I talk to everyone and hand out business cards all day! So I guess all I can do is wait.

No, don't just wait! When you hand out cards and talk to people you need to get their contact information so you can follow up! Being proactive is how you will make your business work.

Also, have you completely filled up your list of 100? And have you seriously sat down and called each individual person?

I am attaching a survey that I used when I 1st moved..still use just tailored it to fit different circumstance...needed bookings. I put a past Season's Best as the gift but you could put any inexpensive product. Like everyone said, it is easier to get shows with those that aren't related or close friends. I have no luck with any of them. I also went through the church directory and let everyone know that I was a consultant. Got some shows from there too.

Attachments

• survey.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 210
I think either/or questions are the key to pinning people down.Would you prefer August or September?Are you interested in a weeknight or weekend?Would Tuesday or Thursday work better for you?I have the ___th and the ____th. Which sounds better?During the NBA playoffs, there was lots of talk about bracketology. Basically, it boiled down to the fact that choosing between two things at a time works well for most decision processes.BTW, if they're hesitant to even answer the first question, I tell them that my calendar fills up quickly. It's best to get their party of my calendar. If they get home and find out the date won't work, we can always reschedule it. I'll check with them in a day or two to confirm that the date is the best for them.

Last edited:

1. How do I get people to commit to a date for my Pampered Chef party?

One way to get people to commit to a date is to follow up with them after sending out invitations. You can also offer incentives or rewards for those who RSVP and attend the party.

2. What if my guests keep changing their minds about the date?

It's important to be understanding and flexible with your guests. Try to find a date that works for the majority of them and offer alternative dates for those who can't make it. You can also remind them of the benefits of attending your party, such as trying out new products and getting exclusive discounts.

3. How do I handle guests who haven't responded to my invitations?

Follow up with them through a phone call, text message, or email. Let them know that you value their presence and would love to have them at the party. If they still don't respond, you can assume they won't be able to make it and focus on those who have RSVP'd.

4. Should I set a deadline for RSVPs?

Yes, it's a good idea to set a deadline for RSVPs so you can plan accordingly. Communicate this deadline to your guests and follow up with those who haven't responded before the deadline.

5. What if I can't find a date that works for everyone?

If you are having trouble finding a date that works for everyone, consider hosting multiple parties on different dates to accommodate everyone's schedules. You can also offer virtual parties for those who can't attend in person.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Yakmama
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
chefann
  • jenf
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
ChefinHarmony
  • amandaC