• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Can You Secure Definite Booking Dates for Shows?

In summary, Tara says to approach people who say they are interested in hosting a show by telling them that a date has to be submitted in order for their friend to be eligible for the Hostess Special at their party and then pencil in a date. She recommends letting people know that she does the invites and that the date is already penciled in. If it's Friday, she offers two choices. If it's not Friday, she offers two choices and tells the person that she will let them know when she has more dates.
apriljc
I have had some people say they will book a show but they won't give me a date. How can I give people to give me a definite date? I need to start filling up my calenddar. Any advice would be great.

When at a show and someone is tentative, I tell them that a date has to be submitted with the show in order for their friend to be eligible for the Hostess Special at their party and then pencil in a date. I've also put in 'dummy' dates to follow up on and then make a note on my calendar about when to call them.

Outside a show, I let them know that I've only got a couple of dates left (even if the month is wide open) and then give them a couple to choose from. I also let them know that I do the invites for them so that they don't have to deal with it.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Tara

I agree. Tell them that you can pencil in a date so the host gets the host special at their show (although if they still don't, I will put in the booking so the host can still get the special). Hearing that you will "pencil" it in doesn't make it sound as set in stone. I rarely have anyone change the date when it's "penciled" in. I always send out a postcard the next day, thanking them for booking a show on such & such day & to call me if they have any questions.

Ask them Which day of the week works best for you to have a show?

Then they'll tell you--everyone usually knows which day they are free.

Then give them two choices. If it's Friday, say "I have January 12 or January 5--which works best for you?"

Give them the date you want to fill as the second choice. In the example given, you obviously want to book in sooner rather than later. Just give them two choices!! Don't let them see that your calendar is empty. YOU are in control of your calendar!!

Works every time.

DebbieJ said:
Ask them Which day of the week works best for you to have a show?

Then they'll tell you--everyone usually knows which day they are free.

Then give them two choices. If it's Friday, say "I have January 12 or January 5--which works best for you?"

Give them the date you want to fill as the second choice. In the example given, you obviously want to book in sooner rather than later. Just give them two choices!! Don't let them see that your calendar is empty. YOU are in control of your calendar!!

Works every time.

Good tactic! Just curious what the psychology is behind saying the date you really want to book second versus first.

slingmommy said:
Good tactic! Just curious what the psychology is behind saying the date you really want to book second versus first.

Because they remember the last thing you say.

Very cool!:D

DebbieJ said:
Because they remember the last thing you say.

It works that way with children, too. "For snack, do you want chips or an apple?" very sneaky....

We did a booking blitz last night before our cluster holiday party and it really opened my eyes to the way I was attempting to book. I have always approached people who checked yes as if they are doing me a favor. (I know, crazy) But last night since it was a competition and I had to be more efficient, I had to change my way of thinking!

Instead of my usual chit chat, oh are you interested in setting a date diatribe I usually go with, I acted like I was a receptionist at a doctor's office setting that much needed appointment that THEY said they wanted.

Here is a sampling:

Me – Hi so and so, this is Mandy from the Pampered Chef (we met at...) You indicated you were interested in hosting a show and I am now booking late January and early February. Do you have your calendar handy?

Her – No, let me get it.

Me – Great (wait) Which month works best for you - late January or February?

Her – January

Me – My only date left is X does 6pm work for you?
Her – Yes
Me – Then it’s a date! I’ll send an email confirmation to you and some ideas to get you started while you wait for your host packet.

Crazy – but the socializing may be a hindrance to me! You know, I never negotiate with my doctor's office!

Do I feel like I rushed some of the people into setting a date? Well, my passive aggressive side feels yes. BUT my optimistic upbeat side says -- I am going to psych them up so much during host coaching that they will be chomping at the bit! (can you tell I just bought the Step up to Success? with Belinda Ellsworth)

By the way I got 5 bookings! Yay -- my january is full (and overbooked in case of snow) and I have already got three dates set for February!

The other that has been working for me is the booking envelopes with the dates that I have available on the front and a small product inside for free when they book and hold the show . I have been getting atleast 2 booking from every party.Karen

MandyK said:
We did a booking blitz last night before our cluster holiday party and it really opened my eyes to the way I was attempting to book. I have always approached people who checked yes as if they are doing me a favor. (I know, crazy) But last night since it was a competition and I had to be more efficient, I had to change my way of thinking!

Instead of my usual chit chat, oh are you interested in setting a date diatribe I usually go with, I acted like I was a receptionist at a doctor's office setting that much needed appointment that THEY said they wanted.

Here is a sampling:

Me – Hi so and so, this is Mandy from the Pampered Chef (we met at...) You indicated you were interested in hosting a show and I am now booking late January and early February. Do you have your calendar handy?

Her – No, let me get it.

Me – Great (wait) Which month works best for you - late January or February?

Her – January

Me – My only date left is X does 6pm work for you?
Her – Yes
Me – Then it’s a date! I’ll send an email confirmation to you and some ideas to get you started while you wait for your host packet.

Crazy – but the socializing may be a hindrance to me! You know, I never negotiate with my doctor's office!

Do I feel like I rushed some of the people into setting a date? Well, my passive aggressive side feels yes. BUT my optimistic upbeat side says -- I am going to psych them up so much during host coaching that they will be chomping at the bit! (can you tell I just bought the Step up to Success? with Belinda Ellsworth)

By the way I got 5 bookings! Yay -- my january is full (and overbooked in case of snow) and I have already got three dates set for February!

Great job, Mandy! Did you only call your yeses from DPS that way, or did you call maybes too?

I called yeses and maybes -- becasue doesn't maybe just mean yes but...just fix the but!

Do people really cancel shows because it snowed? Maybe my town is just odd that way, but when it snows, it's business as usual. And ice storm may shut things down temporarily (like a couple hours for the sanders to get out on the roads), but that's it! ;)

I've been having really great luck at my shows with getting people to set their date before I leave. I used to always struggle from month to month with getting bookings and I'd go 2 months at a time with NOTHING and then be slamed wth bookings when I finally pick up the phone! But I now have 3 solid dates for January, plus 3 catalog shows for January, and 3 more people to call to set their dates. And I also have 1 solid down for February, plus 1 who just needs to decide on her date (a friend, so I just need to shoot off an email and tell her my available dates)

With 2 shows this month, I've got about 6 bookings (both had only 4 & 5 guests at the show!).... and I'm at about $1400 in sales :) 3 catalog shows to follow up on today and we'll see what month-end brings me..... OH.. and I'll finally hit my $15,000 career sales! lol

I think the snow issue is dependent on where you live and how much snow in a given storm. I do shows in the snow, but if there's 12" that gets dumped on us in one day- the host will probably want to reschedule. It's safer to do that than to have people getting into accidents on the way to the house. I know a bunch of consultants who turn snow-date shows into call-in shows. She or the host will call everyone during the show time and take orders. Then they reschedule for a later date so everyone can still see the products.

chefann said:
It works that way with children, too. "For snack, do you want chips or an apple?" very sneaky....

LOL! That wouldn't work with my kids, all they would hear would be "CHIPS"! :D

Anytime we have snow for the first time or have a snowstorm when we haven't for awhile, people get scared & stay home. Otherwise, no one really cares & drives in it.

chefann said:
I think the snow issue is dependent on where you live and how much snow in a given storm. I do shows in the snow, but if there's 12" that gets dumped on us in one day- the host will probably want to reschedule. It's safer to do that than to have people getting into accidents on the way to the house. I know a bunch of consultants who turn snow-date shows into call-in shows. She or the host will call everyone during the show time and take orders. Then they reschedule for a later date so everyone can still see the products.
I'd never thought of the "Call-In" option! What a great idea! When you live in the snow-belt - and you NEVER know how much "Lake Effect" snow there will be
on any given day, it's always good to have a back-up plan!

slingmommy said:
LOL! That wouldn't work with my kids, all they would hear would be "CHIPS"! :D

I was thinking the same thing...in fact, I'm not sure if I would even be able to get the "apple" out of my mouth!

ChefBeckyD said:
I'd never thought of the "Call-In" option! What a great idea! When you live in the snow-belt - and you NEVER know how much "Lake Effect" snow there will be
on any given day, it's always good to have a back-up plan!

If you plan ahead, you can even schedule 2 dates, with the second one in case of snow on #1.

If you don't do that, then when you see a storm forecast for a show date, send an email with the "emergency procedures" for calling in. Or if it isn't really bad and you and a few guests show up, offer them a little something as a bonus for going out. :) The guests who missed out will think twice before skipping another party.

chefann said:
If you plan ahead, you can even schedule 2 dates, with the second one in case of snow on #1.

If you don't do that, then when you see a storm forecast for a show date, send an email with the "emergency procedures" for calling in. Or if it isn't really bad and you and a few guests show up, offer them a little something as a bonus for going out. :) The guests who missed out will think twice before skipping another party.

I've heard of people having "white" sales when it snows for the people who show up. Anything they buy that is white is a percentage off.

emailing potential hostessesI just got an awesome email today from a lady that does Princess House Crystal. They are doing their jan sweeps and there are several good ideas I may just have to borrow from her to get bookings. She does the 'only these dates left' and quarter nights. If any one is interested I can post it here minus her info.

Yes, put those in please!

I tell them that the date has to be submitted with the show when I close it out so that the host gets credit for it. They usually can give me a good idea of when and then I hand them the packet at that show.

Keep in mind this is geared towards her DS business, but I think she does an effective job of getting the info out to potential and past hosts while still generating excitement about it. And her booking technique is something I'm going to adopt definately. And I think her recruiting strategy also.

Here it is:

Hello Friends!!

I am so excited about ALL of the Fantastic offers that Princess House has going on in January - you will not believe it!!!

First - For those last minute gifts, be sure to open the attachment to this email and feel free to order as many specials as you would like without making a regular purchase!! The deadline for orders needing Christmas delivery is Friday the 15th at 6pm!! So email or call me ASAP!!! You will also notice the second attachment which is a listing of the items retiring from our Holiday Catalog, the last day to order these items is December 29th. Hurry, all products are while supplies last!!

NOW - Check out what is going on in January - Princess House has thrown in every awesome offer they have.

Let's start with our $68,000 Sweeps Week!!! That's right; Princess House is offering every Hostess who holds a qualifying show January 1-14, 2007 the chance to win!! I only have a 4 dates left - January 2, 3, 4, and 10th so call me ASAP!!! Just so you know, your odds of winning are BETTER in the 1st week!!! Here is what you can win.

50 GRAND PRIZES - 12-piece Princess Heritage Stainless Steel Cookware Set - valued at over $500!!

50 FIRST PRIZES - Two 16-Piece pavilion Starter Set (service for 8) - valued at over $300!!

50 SECOND PRIZES - 5-Piece Fantasia Bakeware Set - valued at over $250!!

25 Hostesses will WIN $250 in Merchandise Credits!!

75 Hostesses will WIN $100 in Merchandise Credits!!

Call me today so that we can get your Guest List submitted by December 18th to be entered to WIN!!!

Next, All Hostesses who hold qualifying shows in Sweeps Week will receive our NEW Meridian Wall Sconce FREE - a $40 value!!

What about the BEST Hostess Special ever?? You guessed it.DOUBLE HOSTESS CREDITS!!!! This is our most popular Hostess Special! When you have a qualifying show you Double your credits for only $19.95!!! On a $500 show that would be $290 in Credits!! On a $1000 show that would be $580 in Credits!!!!

This usually only happens in April/May but believe it or not they are offering it in January!!!! $5 SUPER SURPRISE!!!! For every $30 a Customer purchases they will be able to get a Mystery Gift for only $5 - these items are from a specially selected list of retired items valued $25-$75!!!!

Our Customer Specials are TERRIFIC!! Send me a quick email and I can attach the flyer with the list!! The savings are up to 55% OFF and we have some Holiday Close out items as well!!

If you are interested in a Quarter Night - I have a few openings for Hostesses in the Kansas City area for Thursday, January 11th! Let me know if you would like to party at Godfathers and have your friends get the chance to WIN some prizes!!

THE NEW CATALOGS ARE IN!!! Call or email me and I'd be thrilled to send you one!!

I just love the new items! We have additions to Barrington, Stainless Steel, Casual Home, Pavillion, Meridian, Fantasia, Princess Heritage, Inspired Classic/Petal collection, and Vintage Garden!! PLUS a New line called "Pizzazz" - stemless Red and White wine glasses! The perfect match to the Aston Collection!

Are you looking for a way to pay those Holiday bills? Wishing there was just a little more money at the end of the month?? Did you know that you could earn on average over $100 per night as a Princess House Consultant? Just for trying Princess House for 6 average parties in 4 weeks you could earn over $1325 in Product and MONEY - it only costs $139 to get started with everything you need - OR you can put as little as $25 down and have the rest taken out of your profits! Join my team - the Weavers Achievers and let me help YOU Achieve your Dreams!!!

I'd like to take this Opportunity to Thank each of you for your Business and Friendship!! I hope You and your family have a Blessed Holiday and a Very Happy New Year!!!

Your Consultant and Friend,

wow! I wish we could throw around prizes like that :)

Last Jan. we did have double host pts. too bad not this year! :(

The woman who did that email is one of the top in her DS business. And she works two states, not just one.:eek:

heat123 said:
Last Jan. we did have double host pts. too bad not this year! :(

I'm wondering if they are saving it for July or Aug.? Personally, for me, those are the months when I really need an extra incentive to get someone to book!

That would be nice for June _sell a thon month but who knows???

soccermama said:
Do people really cancel shows because it snowed? Maybe my town is just odd that way, but when it snows, it's business as usual. And ice storm may shut things down temporarily (like a couple hours for the sanders to get out on the roads), but that's it! ;)

I've been having really great luck at my shows with getting people to set their date before I leave. I used to always struggle from month to month with getting bookings and I'd go 2 months at a time with NOTHING and then be slamed wth bookings when I finally pick up the phone! But I now have 3 solid dates for January, plus 3 catalog shows for January, and 3 more people to call to set their dates. And I also have 1 solid down for February, plus 1 who just needs to decide on her date (a friend, so I just need to shoot off an email and tell her my available dates)

With 2 shows this month, I've got about 6 bookings (both had only 4 & 5 guests at the show!).... and I'm at about $1400 in sales :) 3 catalog shows to follow up on today and we'll see what month-end brings me..... OH.. and I'll finally hit my $15,000 career sales! lol

With respect to snow storms, around here we may get a couple real doozy snow storms in Jan and Feb. Those are our worse months for snow. And because we are an island out in the Atlantic we get the wind to go with it. I for one wouldn't want to venture out in our storms and I know host/guests will not want to have a show if its a storm day. The storms here can get so bad sometimes, the city will close up shop.. malls,universities, businesses, buses, etc. will close down. So if those people are closing up business, I'm sure as heck not gonna go out either!!
Although snow is nooooo where to be seen here right now.. We are enjoying a nice mild 15 degree temperature weather today and right through to the weekend. I"m starting to wonder if we will even have a white Christmas this year :eek: Our winters are getting alot milder the last few years, and again as mentioned above, our bad months are Jan and Feb.

Cheers

It is 50 degrees here in upstate New York...which is not a normal for this time of year! Our winters are becoming more and more milder as well. Which is good, except I bought a new snowmobile this year and will be very upset if I can't use it!! On normal, we get lots and lots of snowstorms (a lot of lake effect) .....and cold temperatures, so I might mention the snow procedures to upcoming hosts!!

I will be very pleased if the snow in Newfoundland holds off until next Friday. We are flying there on Thursday, LOL!

We are visiting my parents on the Bonavista Penninsula for Christmas!

I hope nobody misunderstood my comment about cancelling shows for snow. I *do* understand storms!!! We're in the middle of one right now and lost power this morning.... they got it back up this evening, but are saying it's possibly only temporary until they can make the "real" repairs....

But, anyway.... I love the ideas about making it a call-in show if you do have to cancel!!! (LOL And of course, today, that would not have helped me, either, because I didn't even have phone service! I had to drive to the next town 25 miles away to submit my show to get Christmas delivery!!!!!! So I enjoyed a coffee at a place with wireless internet! lol And then had to hitch a ride home with Dad when chains were required on all vehicles..... now THAT is dedication to the customers, huh?!?!?!?!? LOL)

Here in Houston, snow storms are not the issue....RAIN AND FLOODING! Ugh! I had a show about a month or so ago that was 30 mins away and it poured and poured and poured all day. Low and behold...FLOOD! I was going to call the hostess and cancel on her, but she called me first. The original plan was to turn it into a catalog show, but she called me 2 days later after i sent her an email to see how it was going and said that everyone wanted to come to a show. I had that saturday free and we did it then. Turned out to be a great show afterall! :0)

Oh and can i tell you...it's so hard to get into this christmas thing when we were shopping today in shorts and i have my a/c on! UGH bring on the cold!!! we had a nice taste of it a week or so ago, but it went away....:(

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• melissasutkus
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • caitynsmom
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Bren706