• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Bringing a Laptop to Shows: Pros & Cons

old. If you're like me and your laptop is just starting to show its age, then I would recommend NOT taking it to the shows.I always take my laptop to shows. It saves so much time! As far as recruiting is concerned, people like to see how well we are taken care of and seeing the program first hand helps that. Give it a try...you'll never go back.
PCMelissa
Gold Member
For those of you that have Laptops, do you take them to the shows? Do you find this to be a big time saver? Do you think it takes away from your personal time with the customer?

We just bought a Laptop, and I am torn about taking it to the shows...and I feel like it looks a bit pretentious. Also, for recruiting, do you think it makes potential consultants think they need to have that in order to be successful.

I am probably over-thinking this!

I would love to hear your input! Thanks!

Melissa,
I didn't take my laptop when I first started and had a couple of problems with being under or over a couple of pennies due to calculator settings. Then I spoke with my director and found out that she took hers to her shows. I started doing it and can't imagine not taking it with me anymore. However, I will add that you should get yourself a good backup system so that on a regular basis you backup your laptop. Take it from me, last November my laptop crashed and I lost everything (PC documents, my PP3, all my pictures, etc.). I had to get a new laptop and now I backup every couple of days. Hope this answers your questions.:angel:

I was not a big fan of using laptops at a show until I tried it. It eliminated all those niggling math errors that Annie mentioned. I don't even use TPC order forms anymore - I just use outside order forms and fill in the bottom after PP figures it out. I let the customer keep the form as a receipt until I deliver their product with an official computer generated receipt.

pretentious, heck.

I always take my laptop now. Nobody wants to figure the tax, least of all me.

PCMelissa said:
For those of you that have Laptops, do you take them to the shows? Yes Do you find this to be a big time saver? Absolutely Do you think it takes away from your personal time with the customer?
  • Not at all ~ brings recruiting talk, since I bought it PC money
We just bought a Laptop, and I am torn about taking it to the shows...and I feel like it looks a bit pretentious. Also, for recruiting, do you think it makes potential consultants think they need to have that in order to be successful. Nope! I tell them I used a simple calculator for 6 years

I am probably over-thinking this!

I would love to hear your input! Thanks!

I love my laptop for my shows!

I always take my laptop to shows. It saves so much time! As far as recruiting is concerned, people like to see how well we are taken care of and seeing the program first hand helps that. Give it a try...you'll never go back.:)

ow, hurt my eyes.

I think you said you bought a laptop with PC money, Ginny.

kspry said:
ow, hurt my eyes.

I think you said you bought a laptop with PC money, Ginny.

LOL ~ I should have said bought with my PC commission $$$

I used to take my laptop, which gave me a chance to mention that we get PP/P3 free, and to talk about paying for my laptop with commissions. But I recently stopped taking it. It was one more thing to have to keep an eye on so that nobody walked off with it or started playing with it. I tell everyone at my shows that I will assume they want to round up, so that covers any little math errors I may make at the show (I don't tell them that part). As for whether it's a good recruiting tool or not, there are 2 schools of thought on that, and both have valid points. It's a good way to talk about making actual money, not spatulas. But we also want our job to look doable by anyone, and some people are still apprehensive about computers. And I don't want a potential recruit to think that s/he MUST have a computer (or specifically a laptop) to do this.

I took my laptop for 2+ years and promoted to director in that time, so I don't think it hurts recruiting.I recently installed P3 and my laptop is running WAY slow. Two weeks ago I forgot to bring it to my show (DH helped me load my car). I always carry a backup calculator, so I did the orders by hand. WAY BETTER! I was finding that checkout took forever with P3. With the calculator it was pretty quick and there was one less thing blocking my interaction with the customer.Now, I will say, my laptop is 3+ years old and I know I need more memory. So the slowness is partly my computer. But now hear I sit and last Friday's show STILL hasn't been entered in P3. Oops. However, when I do go home and enter it right away I'm more likely to remember things about that guest and make notes in their contact file so I can serve them better and follow up more appropriately. So I'm going to stick with the calculator from now on. :)

Last edited:
When I get mine, I'll start bringing it with my. By the time I get home from my shows, I don't have time to enter my orders in. In fact it can be a couple days before I enter the orders in. I feel like being able to do it at the shows will be a good thing. Plus, sometimes I don't look at the customer's product choices or double check that they have the correct price wrote down (yes that has happened!). When I enter in my orders at home, I always double check that I typed in the right product number which makes me look at the product. Which can lead to up selling products and such.

I think taking your laptop to a show can be great training if you bring a new consultant along with you. When I went to my director's first two shows, she had me enter in all the orders in PP, that gave me hands on training and I was able to ask questions if needed with her there. The second time she had me do the math with a calculator first and then follow up with PP to make sure my math skills were up to date (my favorite subject back in HS).

I started taking my laptop because I kept screwing up orders. I would total them up wrong (missing items when adding, etc...) because I would usually be chatting and answering questions while trying to do people's orders.
I LOVE :love: having my laptop there with me! There are no questions about whether or not the order is accurate, and I can tell at a glance where my host is for guest sales, and let her know.
I also love the fact that when I get home, I don't have to enter in the show - it's already done!

My DH just suprised me with a laptop this week. I had been taking his to the past couple of shows and said how easy it was when I got home all I had to do was wash a couple of dishes and restock my bag the next day. He says he sees it as a logical investment. I still back everything up. Put now I can work anywhere I want. So far everyone has liked that they can "see" where they are at. I've had a few customers say it was a more earth friendly approach ( I also just have two binders with specials instead of printing everything out for each customer) and they've actually kept the reciepts because they were given when the products came and not crammed in the purse somewhere

I DON'T take mine... one more thing to carry and I'm not a fan of taking a lot with me to shows!!! :)

I take it with me to every show. It's so much easier to do the order totals for me. I get really nervous with the calculator while people are standing there watching me. I had to eat a couple bucks at each show before I got my laptop.

It's very handy. When I set up, I find a place to set up the laptop and make sure that P3 is up and running. Then after I do my demo and as folks are filling out their order, inevitably someone will go "what's the tax rate?" or "I hate doing math"... that's when I say "come on up with your orders when you're ready and I'll do all the math for you!"... they eagerly fill things out and at that time, I get my one on one time with them... I mention the offer, I enter in their order, confirm their info and give them the lo down on their total, THEN add in about the Round up for Hunger. I've made it part of my thing and it's very handy. I don't have to enter things in when I get home (it's already there!). Cuts down on time, avoids mathematical mistakes and for me, I'm so anal about math... it's faster for me to type things in then to check my math manually 10 times. LOL

I like to bring mine with me...It helps with those math errors. And you do not have to copy down your cutomers credit card numbers...just enter them into PPP, and it masks the number for you. This eliminates any security issues for the customer.

I did not have a lap top for the first 6 years of my business and (when I remember) I let people know this fact.

Like so many others, I appreciate that the math is done and correct. No recalculating.

I think it helps me spend more time with my guests. I have them sit (or stand) with me one at a time. I type in their name and then ask them to read me the item numbers of what they want, I tell them what the product is and this allows for a double check.

I like that if they don't fill it in before they come, I can put credit card numbers into the program and their is no record of this number left for the Host or anyone else. (Always be sure you have phone number in case you typed in something that wasn't correct).

When I am filling in the totals on their order form (that the computer has calculated), I'm asking them my 3 questions (business, booking, wedding).

It is one more thing to carry, but I appreciate the convenience. The day after the show I complete each person's information with address, phone number and birthday. Also, I add them to my email address book.

I take mine with me! I recently tried going back to not taking it & I forgot to charge several customers shipping! Ouch. Prompted me to take it again. :)

I forgot to mention...if someone is a new customer, I may not add all their address info right away, just to save time. Usually, I can write faster than I can type, and I'll jot down the address info later on.One more thing...be sure to carry a jump drive with you and back up PP before you leave the show!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I forgot to mention...if someone is a new customer, I may not add all their address info right away, just to save time. Usually, I can write faster than I can type, and I'll jot down the address info later on.

One more thing...be sure to carry a jump drive with you and back up PP before you leave the show!

Is a jump drive the same thing as a my USB Flash drive?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
One more thing...be sure to carry a jump drive with you and back up PP before you leave the show!

Okay, this is something I've been worried about. I don't have a jump drive. What (are there different sizes) do I need to purchase? Is it fairly easy to use?

It's really easy to use. You don't need anything super-huge if you're just backing up PP/P3. The one I have is 256MB, and I've got a LOT of stuff on it, including a couple of P3 backups. Janet has posted links with some good prices on them recently.

chefann said:
It's really easy to use. You don't need anything super-huge if you're just backing up PP/P3. The one I have is 256MB, and I've got a LOT of stuff on it, including a couple of P3 backups. Janet has posted links with some good prices on them recently.

Ann,

I did a back up so I could tell you how much space it said I needed.

2,833,613 KB. Does this mean I'm still good with the 256MB?

That's 2.8 Mbytes. That would leave you 253 Mbytes on a 256 Mbyte drive.:)

So, a USB flash drive with 2 GB....that would be good?

I'm sorry if that sounds dumb.....:eek:

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
That's 2.8 Mbytes. That would leave you 253 Mbytes on a 256 Mbyte drive.

:)

Can you tell that math sciences were not my strong point? :rolleyes:

Thank you!

chefjeanine said:
Can you tell that math sciences were not my strong point? :rolleyes:

Thank you!

you and me both, Jeanine!

2 million KB seems kinda high. My backup is 3 million Bytes, which is 3 MB. 2 Million KB is 2000 MB (or 2 GB). If your backup is actually 2 million bytes (not KB), then a 256 MB stick will be plenty. If the figure you posted above is correct, then you'll need to spend the big bucks and get a 2 GB one, minimum.

1 bit = 1 binary digit8 bits = 1 byte, or, 1 character1k = 1 killobyte = 1,024 bytes. (Don't ask why 1k is actually 1,024. You don't want to know.)1Mbyte = 1 megabyte = 1 million bytes = 1,024,000,000 bytes.1,024 Megabytes = 1 Gigabyte1,024 Gigabytes = 1 TerabyteIt gets even bigger, too, but this list is enough.2 bits = 25¢

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
1 bit = 1 binary digit

8 bits = 1 byte, or, 1 character

1k = 1 killobyte = 1,024 bytes. (Don't ask why 1k is actually 1,024. You don't want to know. your right, I don't want to know.:( )

1Mbyte = 1 megabyte = 1 million bytes = 1,024,000,000 bytes.

1024 Megabytes = 1 Gigabyte

1024 Gigabytes = 1 Terabyte

It gets even bigger, too, but this list is enough.

You don't expect me to remember this do you? I suppose I could print it out and tuck it somewhere safe.

ChefBeckyD said:
So, a USB flash drive with 2 GB....that would be good?

I'm sorry if that sounds dumb.....:eek:
My 1 GB is not even 10% full and I basically just use it to back up PP. I got the 1 GB when it went on sale over a year ago but now the 2 GB are cheaper than what I paid for the 1 GB.

A long, long time ago when taking a computer class meant learning "basic" (if my very poor memory serves me right), I probably knew all this stuff.

Well, you're going to have to learn the metric system sooner or later. Like they told me in school, the United States will be completely converted to the metric system by 1986.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Well, you're going to have to learn the metric system sooner or later. Like they told me in school, the United States will be completely converted to the metric system by 1986.

I won't and you can't make me. They threatend me with that in grade school (which was before 1986). It never stuck!!!! :)

chefjeanine said:
A long, long time ago when taking a computer class meant learning "basic" (if my very poor memory serves me right), I probably knew all this stuff.
That's a programing language - BASIC - Beginner's All-purpose Syntactic Instruction Code. (Some say the S means "Symbolic," like it mattered.)

chefjeanine said:
I won't and you can't make me. They threatend me with that in grade school (which was before 1986). It never stuck!!!! :)
The Metric Police are liable to contact you with a nasty Kil-O-Gram.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
That's a programing language - BASIC - Beginner's All-purpose Syntactic Instruction Code. (Some say the S means "Symbolic," like it mattered.)

Yep. Many, many years ago I learned a programming language. Thank God computers have come a long way.

threadjacked.gif
Another thread successfully shot to hell!

I just ordered a laptop and can't wait to start taking it to shows....

But, I have a desktop computer too. I plan to use both. So, my question really deals with moving the data back and forth...

Is this how I would do it??:
1. Backup P3 from Desktop
2. Load Backup from Desktop onto Laptop
3. Go to show, enter show into P3
4. Backup P3 from Laptop
5. Go home
6. Load Backup from Laptop onto Desktop
7. Work on Desktop until next show and start over at 1.

This way I am always loading backups?? Did that make sense?

In PP, when you exit, it asks (well, demands, really) that you back up your data. Just change the drive letter to your jump drive.In the PP utilities, one of the options is to Restore. Choose the jump drive letter as the source of the restore.The other thing you could do, which is what I do, is just use the laptop as your TPC computer and then you don't have to screw around with moving data back and forth.

Tried it, too much troubleMy director says she always takes hers, so when I got my new laptop in January I tried it.

After several shows with it, I decided it's too much trouble. People don't want to come over to me, I'm often walking over to them to get their form (they are often chatting and don't want to be interrupted ("just tell me the total"). I do more one on one chatting up with them during the show. Plus I talk about all my "stuff", i.e. fundraisers, booking benefits, business oppurtunity during the show.

I find it most helpful at home. When I get home from a show, I enter everything right away, then call the host the next day with their total so they know what they can order, or if they're close to the next level.

It just works better for me that way. I am trying to streamline how much I carry into the house to make it look easier (not like I'm moving in! haha)

Just another opinion! :D

Katie

Last edited:
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
In PP, when you exit, it asks (well, demands, really) that you back up your data. Just change the drive letter to your jump drive.

In the PP utilities, one of the options is to Restore. Choose the jump drive letter as the source of the restore.

The other thing you could do, which is what I do, is just use the laptop as your TPC computer and then you don't have to screw around with moving data back and forth.

Yes, I was thinking that this might be the best way - but DH is planning on using the laptop a lot - especially around football (Fantasy Football) time.

Is there an issue with restoring a lot??

No, not at all. The backup/restore utilities actually go pretty fast. The biggest trick is making sure you are restoring the most recent backup. When I was a rookie in this business, I made a backup one day that was backwards - in other words, I did a restore instead of a backup and blew away the entire month of April.
duh.gif
The utilities are a lot better now - the utilities assume you're stupid enough to do what I did. They go out of their way to protect you from yourself.

Oh, one more thing about backups/restores:1) Create your show on the main computer - I'll assume it's your tower.2) Create a backup. DO NOT DO ANY OTHER WORK IN PP ON YOUR TOWER!3) Restore the backup to your laptop - it is now your main TPC computer.4) Do your show and enter all appropriate data.5) Backup your data from the laptop.6) Restore your data to your tower computer - it is now you main TPC computer. DO NOT DO ANY OTHER PAMPERED CHEF WORK ON YOUR LAPTOP.Be sure to only use one computer at a time and you'll never have a data issue.(PS - It's a good idea to back up your data to other media, too. Like backup your data to a CDRW once a week and again once a month. That way, you always have something to fall back on if your jump drive fails.)

Just for information, P3 doesn't demand a backup each time you exit, the way PP does. So you need to stay on top of it, if you're using P3. It does pop up a window when it's been over a week since your last backup, but that's it.

Thanks for adding that - you can tell that, thanks to all the wonderful things people have been saying about P³, I'm still using P² and will continue to do so until they stop supporting it or I just bite the bullet and start using it.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Oh, one more thing about backups/restores:

1) Create your show on the main computer - I'll assume it's your tower.

2) Create a backup. DO NOT DO ANY OTHER WORK IN PP ON YOUR TOWER!

3) Restore the backup to your laptop - it is now your main TPC computer.

4) Do your show and enter all appropriate data.

5) Backup your data from the laptop.

6) Restore your data to your tower computer - it is now you main TPC computer. DO NOT DO ANY OTHER PAMPERED CHEF WORK ON YOUR LAPTOP.

Be sure to only use one computer at a time and you'll never have a data issue.

(PS - It's a good idea to back up your data to other media, too. Like backup your data to a CDRW once a week and again once a month. That way, you always have something to fall back on if your jump drive fails.)

OK, Thanks. I will have to remain very "aware". I figure I'll be OK if I only use the Laptop for shows and don't let myself use it in between. It should be pretty easy to keep it straight (I hope). Really the laptop is for DH (using it for shows was the added bonus that pushed us over the fence to buy one).

As far as backups right now, As soon as I create a new backup, I rename the old one with the date of the previous backup. So all my backups have the date in the filename so I hopefully can't mess it up. The current one has no date in the filename.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

What are the 5 most frequently asked questions about "Bringing a Laptop to Shows: Pros & Cons"?

The most common questions we receive about bringing a laptop to shows are:

1. Do you take your laptop to shows?
  2. Do you find it to be a big time saver?
  3. Do you think it takes away from your personal time with the customer?
  4. Is it necessary for success in recruiting?
  5. Does it come across as pretentious?

For those of you that have Laptops, do you take them to the shows?

Many consultants do choose to bring their laptops to shows, but it ultimately depends on personal preference and what works best for your business. Some find it to be a helpful tool for organizing orders and presentations, while others prefer to stick with traditional methods.

Do you find this to be a big time saver?

For some consultants, bringing a laptop to shows can save time by keeping track of orders and inventory in one place. However, it can also be a distraction and take away from personal interactions with customers. It's important to find a balance that works for you and your business.

Do you think it takes away from your personal time with the customer?

This ultimately depends on how you use your laptop at shows. If you are constantly focused on the screen and not engaging with customers, it can definitely take away from the personal connection. However, if you use it as a tool to enhance the customer's experience, it can actually help build relationships.

Do you think it makes potential consultants think they need to have that in order to be successful?

No, a laptop is not necessary for success in this business. While it can be helpful, it is not a requirement for becoming a successful consultant. It's important to focus on your own strengths and utilize tools that work best for you.

I am probably over-thinking this! I would love to hear your input! Thanks!

It's natural to have concerns and questions about bringing a laptop to shows. Ultimately, it comes down to what works best for you and your business. It's always a good idea to experiment and see how it impacts your shows and interactions with customers. Don't be afraid to try new things and find what works best for you.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• naekelsey
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
naekelsey
  • Mindy50135
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefCKHall
  • chefbritt