• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help! I Want to Buy a Laptop & Don't Know What to Get!!

I am thinking of getting a laptop for my PC biz but am really not sure what I want.I have heard good things and bad things about Vista and am really not sure what size laptop screen I want, what kind of laptop I want and I have to say, I am a bit dumb when it comes to this stuff. I know I don't want to spend more than $700 on it, actually I would like to spend ALOT less.My home PC was a whim buy b/c my previous PC crashed 2 days before a PC deadline and so I went to Walmart and bought an E-Machine.That computer is still working great and I have no problems with it, I just have my home
pampered.chris
Gold Member
I am thinking of getting a laptop for my PC biz but am really not sure what I want. I have heard good things and bad things about Vista and am really not sure what size laptop screen I want, what kind of laptop I want and I have to say, I am a bit dumb when it comes to this stuff. I know I don't want to spend more than $700 on it, actually I would like to spend ALOT less. My home PC was a whim buy b/c my previous PC crashed 2 days before a PC deadline and so I went to Walmart and bought an E-Machine. That computer is still working great and I have no problems with it, I just have my home office upstairs, and spend more time downstairs and would like to have a laptop to get things done while spending time with my daughter. I would also like to possibly take this to shows with me. Which leads me to another question...if I am not online, can I get into P3? Please help!! Any and all suggestions will be appreciated!! Thanks so much!!

I use an older model (at least 6 years old) that I take to shows. That is all I use it for. You can access P3 w/out internet; you just can't submit or update.

I too have been wanting a Laptop. My hubby says that Acer is a good way to go. As soon as I can save up enough $$$ I am getting one. The one I had my eye on at Best Buy is no longer available :(

Last edited:
I have a Dell Inspiron with Windows XP. I did not choose Vista b/c of all the problems I had heard with it.

I Love my lap top!

I called Dell and told them what all I needed my laptop to do and they helped me choose what to get.

I have a Compaq widescreen, and although I was completely against laptops, once I got one I began to love it!!

I have Windows XP also.

If you are going to use P3 you really need to get a PC with 2 Gigs of Ram, Just know that it will help your PC run much better. Do try to get an XP opereting system. Many fewer problems than a vista Opereating system (both are windows based). Having the 2 Gig will also help your PC run better if and when you ever upgrade to Vista.

As for size of the screen go to best buy or Circuit city and play with the floor models.

Dell is a great place to get the PC you want although last time I looked you could no longer get a laptop with XP only vista.

I have been on the verge of getting a new laptop for over a year but I want to wait till the bugs are worked out of vista or PC requires us to use p3.

ETA: FYI... Best buy will not sell you a laptop with anything but Vista. They have some deal with microsoft. I asked a few months ago and that is what I was told.

etteluap70PC said:
Dell is a great place to get the PC you want although last time I looked you could no longer get a laptop with XP only vista.

Dell still has laptops available with XP. Some of the models give you an option of Vista or XP and they have a link for "still wanting XP".

I just bought an HP Compaq 6715b with a 15.4" widescreen, 2GB of RAM, 1.9GB dual core processor, 3 years ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE warranty (a must with carrying it around and kids)...and of COURSE XP ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!Working in the IT field, I WILL NOT switch to Vista yet!

erinb said:
Dell still has laptops available with XP. Some of the models give you an option of Vista or XP and they have a link for "still wanting XP".

Both Dell and HP still sell laptops with XP of various forms.

You may need to check out the small business portion of their site instead of the Home and Home Office portion.

I deal with Dell laptops daily, but chose to get an HP for myself because I like the components better and the warranty I wanted was cheaper.

ChefTess said:
I too have been wanting a Laptop. My hubby says that Acer is a good way to go. As soon as I can save up enough $$$ I am getting one. The one I had my eye on at Best Buy is no longer available :(

I looked at all models including Acer...not too bad of a laptop but for the cost they didn't provide enough features (in other words, too expensive comparatively looking at the total package).

I wish so much on a daily basis that I had gotten XP instead of Vista. I have had issue after issue with Vista - including several time when I have had to do a complete System Restore, and several times having to completely reinstall my printer.:grumpy:

( A host's husband is a computer genius - works on/with computers - and he told me both of those things are not uncommon with Vista.)

Janet... Oh yes I forgot I was told it was easier to find more XP options by going thru the small buis section.

So you are liking your HP? I have had great luck with my printers but have no exp. with their computers.

etteluap70PC said:
Janet... Oh yes I forgot I was told it was easier to find more XP options by going thru the small buis section.

So you are liking your HP? I have had great luck with my printers but have no exp. with their computers.

Their printers are starting to get more and more "disposable"...but they are getting better again.

On the laptops, I've had mine for only about a week, but really like it so far. It is similar to my DH's who is two years older. Nice weight and I'm liking the keypad too...I can type almost just as fast on it as a regular PC keyboard.

The screen is a good size too.

I've used an older HP laptop for work and really like the new style.

I've used various Dell laptops over the last 5 years...Inspiron, Latitude, recently looked at the new Vostro...

So far, I'm very happy I got the HP and based on DH's experience with it and with the older HP at work, I'm pretty confident I won't change my mind.

Yes, on the website, you just have to play a little to find what you want!

I also saved $50 on mine by getting the extra 1GB as a separate chip under options opening the cover when the laptop came and putting it in myself. You have to watch their specials and educate yourself on what you want vs. what is out there and shop around. I honestly had been shopping for 6 weeks and must have spec'd out about 12 laptops during that time before I decided.
My DH said, "enough already, order yourself one!" But I wanted to get what would last me for quite a few years AND serve the purpose(s) I had in mind...plus I'm cheap and about DIE buying something like a computer! :rolleyes:

Thanks fgor the info Janet.... I research big purchases to death as well.... half the time I talk myself out of it... LOL!

etteluap70PC said:
Thanks fgor the info Janet.... I research big purchases to death as well.... half the time I talk myself out of it... LOL!

That is sometimes a good thing too! I ALMOST talked myself out of the laptop too, but DH emphasized why I deserved it along with needing it. :)

It was a stretch, but I didn't finance it at all - tax refund paid for it and I'm using it for my business to make that easier and quicker.

Minimum Requirements ----- Recommended

Operating System: Windows 2000 ----- Windows XP or greater
Available Disk Space: 2 GB ----- 10 GB
RAM (memory): 256 MB ----- 1 GB
CPU Speed: 1.0 GHZ ----- 2.0 GHZ
Internet Connection: Dial-up Modem ----- DSL/cable/broadband
Screen Resolution: Any ----- 1024 X 768

...and remember that 1.0GB - 2.0GB is probably referring to a single-core processor.If you have a dual or quad core, it is deceiving...

Thank you all for your help!! My BF is helping me figure out what to get, but having other PC consultants help me to know what I need for my biz is so great!! I just LOVE Chef Success!!
Thanks again and keep them coming, I would love to hear more!!

I just got the ACER for my PC business a couple of weeks ago and have used it at two shows. I have had no problems and am using Windows Vista.

Just ordered a Dell Inspiron with XP on it.

I also will not switch to Vista.

There is a link on Dell's site asking Still looking for Windows XP?

redneck grrrl said:
I just got the ACER for my PC business a couple of weeks ago and have used it at two shows. I have had no problems and am using Windows Vista.
Most people haven't had problems with Vista and P3 once set up, but use Vista for other things and... :cry: :cry: :cry: It just isn't a stable O/S yet - needs a lot of work still.I personally don't have time to deal with "inconsistencies" or "issues" while the bugs are worked out. I only change O/S when I am confident they are stable - like XP. There are certain ones I avoided like the plaque - like Windows ME...it was HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!I wanted my laptop to work immediately without me tricking it to do what I want. I'm too busy to deal with that right now.So, I personally still recommend XP. Besides...if you have older printers...good luck on Vista!!!!

My DH is computer tech that is his daily job and I was forbidden to get Vista. He did get me a Dell w/all the goodies and XP. My mom just got an Acer with Vista and we can't get anything to work on it, i.e printer, internet, games her accounting software. It has been a nightmare for my husband. Just my two cents. :p

Here is a snipit from an e-mail I got this a.m. - Dell Special: VOSTRO™ 1500
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition or Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic
2GB memory*
160GB* hard drive
9-cell battery
DVD-RW drive

$549

Is that good Janet? I'm in the market too and have no idea how to buy a laptop. I've been shopping on weight. I found a couple less than 6 lbs, but they were all well over $500. I only want to spend about as much as the special price you got emailed. That would be great to find what I want/need for only $550!

I also saw some Dell ones in the Walmart sales paper this week that looked like a good deal. And they were in different colors.

I just got a new Dell laptop. I went right to the small business section, didn't even look in home section. It's a Latitude D530 with XP instead of Vista. The only thing I added was Bluetooth because it's cool (totally not needed) and only about $30 extra. It cost around $700.

Chef Kearns said:
Is that good Janet? I'm in the market too and have no idea how to buy a laptop. I've been shopping on weight. I found a couple less than 6 lbs, but they were all well over $500. I only want to spend about as much as the special price you got emailed. That would be great to find what I want/need for only $550!

Yes, not a bad price for those items at all.

I spent a little more on my HP because I bought a 3 year accidental breakage warranty on top of mine. That cost a few hundred but if I dare break ANYTHING it is worth it.

With 2 little kids, 2 large dogs and going to shows, I figured no matter how careful I always am, something will happen to it and the warranty will be worth it for me. I also got a few more features so mine was more than $550 base price.

But for the items listed - that is a great price.
You get an Intel Dual Core processor - not a Celeron (which I will not buy)
2GB of RAM which should be great!
160 GB drive space and if you fill that up fast you have issues we need to discuss...
A DVD-RW is great...

Anyway, check that one out. It's not a bad little machine.

JAE - I went to the small business sites on HP and Dell too because that fit "me" better.

Thanks for your advice Janet!

What are the most important factors to consider when buying a laptop?

When buying a laptop, it's important to consider your budget, the intended use of the laptop, the size and weight, the processor and RAM, and the storage capacity.

What is the difference between a traditional laptop and a 2-in-1 laptop?

A traditional laptop has a fixed screen and keyboard, while a 2-in-1 laptop can be used as both a laptop and a tablet, with a detachable or foldable touchscreen display.

What are the recommended specifications for a good laptop for everyday use?

For everyday use, we recommend a laptop with at least an Intel Core i5 or AMD Ryzen 5 processor, 8GB of RAM, and 256GB of storage. It should also have a full HD display and a battery life of at least 8 hours.

Is it better to buy a laptop online or in-store?

It ultimately depends on your personal preference. Buying online may offer more options and potentially better deals, but buying in-store allows you to physically see and test the laptop before purchasing.

What is the return policy for laptops at Pampered Chef?

The return policy for laptops at Pampered Chef varies depending on the specific laptop and the reason for return. Please contact our customer service for more information.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Mindy50135
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefCKHall
  • Jess_K
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Jess_K
  • naekelsey