• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dave Ramsey Fans! Talk Me Out of a Thneed! (Lorax Fans Too)

In summary, the author is considering buying an iPad but has several concerns. She lists her business, Kindle, laptop battery, and kids games as positives, and compares them to the negatives of not having an iPad. She mentions saving for the iPad and waiting for the new app to be released before making a decision.
NooraK
Gold Member
OK, so I totally want to get an iPad. If I just discuss it with my husband, I know I will talk him into it. So I need some help with convincing myself it is not really something I need to spend $400.

We're currently on BS2 and somewhat treading water since DH's income dropped last year (been on BS2 since 2009). DH also complains that I'm already on my laptop way too much, and this would just be another electronic device to take my attention.

I have several arguments in favor of the iPad:

• My Pampered Chef business - I do not have an iPhone or an Android smartphone, so I will not be able to take advantage of the new app, and will not be able to utilize the tools to calculate and take orders at shows (I currently use my laptop).
  • My Kindle died recently, and now I can't access any of the books I had on it except for on the computer.
  • There are tons of great educational apps available for the iPad that the kids could use.
  • My laptop battery is crummy, often tying me to an outlet and I'm too lazy to move around with it. With the iPad, I could be reading a book while DH watches TV, and be nearer to him and "spend time with him" (he would be fine if I was in the same room, if he's watching TV).
  • There are a lot of apps available on the iPad that are not available on my current phone that could potentially make life easier for us.
  • I would be able to do FaceTime with my mom in Finland and my brother in New York.
  • DH got a new laptop last year (I know, this one is probably the most childish of them all :D)

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry, I'm no help. I think you NEED it. lol

Seriously, sounds like your laptop is on it's last legs anyway. Do you have a desktop somewhere in the house that you can do things you can't on the iPad? There are some limitations - it does not replace a computer. If you will have to buy a computer anyway when your laptop dies then maybe you should be thinking that instead but all your reasons sound very valid to me (ESPECIALLY being able to see your mom and brother - priceless!)

If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. Period.

That being said, I think the best thing ANY of us can do is wait. The new app isn't even out yet. First see how it eases your business via your laptop, and using your host's laptop. Let PC work out the bugs. Start stepping up your business now so you can earn enough extra to get your ipad.

Life will not end, and neither will your business, without an ipad. That's my personal opinion.

You didn't list your negatives. Comparing them would be a good place to start. I agree with the last poster that waiting until we actually have the new web would make sense and in the meantime do extra shows to earn the money for whatever you end up getting.

Since you are on BS2, can you work it into your budget to save for it?? We don't even know for sure when the system will be released by PC. It could be this month, it could be MAY! "Spring" is a long time when something like this is looming.Add one more show to your calendar?? (I know- I hate that line...if it were only that easy! :D)If you figure $500 cost (you'll WANT to add AppleCare!), can you save $50 a week somewhere?? From Mad money, extra show, etc.....comb the budget. At $50 a week, you'd have enough in 2.5 months. Or adjust accordingly. Having the iPad is actually a time saver for me! It doesn't replace my laptop, but I can do enough of the basics. I sometimes go days without logging into my laptop. I use my iPad to quickly check email for any fires that need taken care of, check the news, weather, and of course browse ChefSuccess sometimes. yes- I have games, but I also have great games for my kids that reinforce phonics, math, geography, etc. And yes, the mind-numbing games, books, etc.I use it for my WW app, so I'm staying on plan much better because I can track easier. I also use COZI for my calendar. Both of those apps are on my 'smartphone', so I can be synced up immediately with them when I am out and about.And when PC rolls out the new app, I'll be set for that!! I agree that having it will be a good thing. But I don't think you have to have it NOW! IPad2's aren't going anywhere, so save for it. It will make you and your DH happier in the long run if you do. Listen to Dave's voice in your head....:) I know I need to listen to him more often!By the way- just read The Lorax to my kids...too funny when I saw your "Thneed" reference...EVERYONE NEEDS A THNEED! lol

I think you should get one, but you should save up for it. ;) See how many shows it will take to earn enough commission $ to get it. Then your husband can't let you feel guilty about getting one. You will have worked hard for it, and it's paid for your business and used for your business. Then you can have it for so much more than just your business and you'll be happy. :DTry not to feel rushed into getting one right now. The app and website haven't gone live yet and just think of all the kinks that will probably be in the new system at first. There will be so many people with all these different devices and I'm sure we'll hear all about the pros and cons of all of them.

What I did for my laptop was set myself a goal - if I hit $4000 in sales one month I could afford to get my laptop by paying for it with cash (I had a few gift cards saved up already). I waited - and waited - and waited and finally on May I hit over $4000. You bet as soon as my check was deposited in June that I went out and got my laptop and it felt so good!! So set yourself a goal and go for it!! P3 will be around for a while so you have some time.

Beth, you're right, you are no help! :D The laptop isn't on it's last legs, I've actually replaced some pieces in it, and it does fine, but the battery doesn't last as long as I'd like, so it's cumbersome to move it around the house and find a spot where I can make sure I can plug it in. Plus, a replacement batter would be much cheaper than an iPad. As for the negatives, the only one I can really think of is the money situation. It's an expensive toy.

pchockeymom, thank you for not mincing words. You're right, life will not end without the iPad. While I would not use the iPad solely for the PC app, that has been the spark that fuled my interest recently. And I will be able to take orders even after P3 goes away, just not on my laptop.

Bobbi, thank you for the great advice. I would love to add extra shows, but with DH's work schedule I can really only do them on the weekends now, and he's already not very happy that I have something both Saturday and Sunday this week. I could, however, designate a certain show each month as my iPad show. Our Blow Budget for the month is $50 each, so it would take a while if I saved all that (if I'm even capable), but that's probably the best strategy.

Amanda, I agree. I think the best option is to save for it, then no one can complain. I had thought about taking some of our tax refund, since we're getting a nice chunk, but I'll feel better if I earned the money myself.

I just hope I can wait until I have the funds together!

I'm in the save up for it camp. One thing I remember either reading or being told was that P3 would be in place through the year... so that's a whole 10 months worth of saving before you "need" an ipad. If your only problem with your laptop is it's battery you have tons of life left to go! Trust me on that! If that's really making you crazy you can often get batteries on ebay for super cheap. I'd check there you could probably get one for $30 or less including shipping.I do know how you feel w/ wanting the ipad. This is honestly the ONLY apple product I've ever wanted and I'm using the app as my excuse. BUT we don't have the $$ so I'm waiting till it's saved up. It stinks, but it's the smart thing to do! :)

pckellyd said:
I'm in the save up for it camp. One thing I remember either reading or being told was that P3 would be in place through the year... so that's a whole 10 months worth of saving before you "need" an ipad.

If your only problem with your laptop is it's battery you have tons of life left to go! Trust me on that! If that's really making you crazy you can often get batteries on ebay for super cheap. I'd check there you could probably get one for $30 or less including shipping.

I do know how you feel w/ wanting the ipad. This is honestly the ONLY apple product I've ever wanted and I'm using the app as my excuse. BUT we don't have the $$ so I'm waiting till it's saved up. It stinks, but it's the smart thing to do! :)

Oh, I totally agree that it should be "saved up for" and not "go into debt for"! I would not put something like that on a card. The thing is deciding that it is what you want to set your goal toward. We can all find money for the things we really want (some things take longer to get but we do get them if we really want them) so it just depends on how much you want it and what you are willing to do to get it - more shows, use tax refund, save a little each month...

Noora, try thinking out of the box as far as shows go. I only did one cooking show last month because hubby was out of the country. However, my sales were over $5000. I had two fundraisers and several catalog shows. Its a way to pad your calendar without leaving home on the weekends all the time. Good luck with you're endeavor!

BethCooks4U said:
Oh, I totally agree that it should be "saved up for" and not "go into debt for"! I would not put something like that on a card. The thing is deciding that it is what you want to set your goal toward. We can all find money for the things we really want (some things take longer to get but we do get them if we really want them) so it just depends on how much you want it and what you are willing to do to get it - more shows, use tax refund, save a little each month...

Definitely would not be going into debt for it. We're getting a pretty sizeable income tax refund, and I was going to use some money out of that, but I think I'd enjoy the iPad even more if I saved up for it.

I'll have to work on getting catalog shows. That means I have to be better at following up...

NooraK said:
I'll have to work on getting catalog shows. That means I have to be better at following up...

I just learned something that was an "ah,hah" moment regarding catalog shows:
Treat them like cooking shows- get a guest list from the host; send invitations with clear instructions on how to shop online, include a mini cat with each; email evites with, again, clear instructions on ordering online; send reminders.

And last, most awesome, pick one day of the week you close catalog shows, say, tuesday. Tell your host "I'll call you next tuesday to get the orders you have. If you still have more to collect, we'll talk the following tuesday." This way you're not chasing a wild horse. And, when it's getting to the end of the month, host is still chasing that 1 potential order (that never comes thru), the prospect of having to wait another week to close may just be the ticket to getting her to go ahead and close. She can always start another catalog show if that 1 does come up with an order.

1. What is a Thneed and why should I be talked out of it?

A Thneed is a fictional product featured in the book "The Lorax" by Dr. Seuss. It is a versatile item that can be used for various purposes, but it ultimately leads to the destruction of the environment. Dave Ramsey fans often use the term "Thneed" to refer to unnecessary or frivolous purchases that can harm their financial goals.

2. How can I resist the temptation to buy a Thneed?

One way to resist the temptation to buy a Thneed is to create a budget and stick to it. This will help you prioritize your spending and avoid impulse purchases. It's also important to differentiate between needs and wants, and to only spend money on things that align with your financial goals.

3. What are some alternatives to buying a Thneed?

Instead of buying a Thneed, you can consider borrowing or renting the item if it is something you only need temporarily. You can also look for more affordable options or find ways to repurpose items you already have. Another alternative is to save up and wait to make the purchase when you have enough funds available.

4. How can I stay motivated to avoid buying a Thneed?

One way to stay motivated is to constantly remind yourself of your financial goals and the impact that buying a Thneed can have on them. You can also find support from other Dave Ramsey fans and hold each other accountable. It's also helpful to celebrate your successes in resisting the temptation to buy a Thneed and reward yourself in other ways.

5. Can buying a Thneed ever be justified?

It depends on your individual financial situation and priorities. In general, Dave Ramsey fans believe that buying a Thneed is not a wise financial decision and should be avoided. However, if you have a solid budget in place and have saved up for the item, then it may not have a negative impact on your financial goals. It's important to carefully consider the potential consequences before making any purchasing decisions.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefliz
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefliz
  • pampered1224
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • pctharper