• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anyone Require Host to Collect $$ and Submit 1 Personal Ck to You?

In summary, the conversation discusses the practice of having checks written out to the host or the consultant for orders at a party. Some consultants prefer having all the checks written out to them for easier bookkeeping and to avoid any potential issues with bad checks. Others prefer having the checks written out to the host as a way to protect them and make them feel more comfortable. There are also different opinions on whether to have checks written out for outside orders before the party or after. Ultimately, it's up to the consultant to decide what works best for them and their business.
nickywsn
I was a host a few years ago and my consultant asked all the guests to write their checks out to me since I'd be submitting one check for the final payment when my show closed. She told me (before the show privately) that she finds that people are less likely to write a hot check to a host that they know rather than to a stranger. She worded it in a way that wasn't offensive...she made sure to state that she wasn't claiming that I'd have anybody attending that would even do this, but she found over the years that this worked much better for her. I have to say, that I understood and agreed with her. I was just wondering if anyone out there does this and what you think about it. I'll be starting my SS month in January and am debating whether to adopt this policy or not.

Thanks,
Nicky

My recruiter does this & I did for a little while. But now I feel that I try to make hosting as easy as possible & if I'm buying the food, sending invites, etc., why make the host deposit 10-15 checks for me? Plus, I'm trying to treat my business more as a business & I feel that as the consultant, I should be the one dealing with the money--not making the host deal with a bad check, if that happens. I'd hate for the host to be charged $25 for a returned check just for hosting a show. But the nice thing about this business is that you can make it your own, so you just have to do what YOU think is best! Plus, you can always change your mind down the road!

Good luck & welcome to PC!!

Checks to me please...I have never (knock on wood) had a bad check written to me....

I would rather have a $50.00 guest check bounce than have the Host's $550.00 check for the ENTIRE show bounce....IMHO...

I think that I would rather have the guests write thier own checks to me. I would rather just deal with it all. I also like to keep track of who paid and who didn't, and if others fall through I can just send those orders out and know I don't have to wait for the hostess to do anything. I already have everything ready to submit. HTH. Good luck on your SS1

Another good thing about having the checks written to you--you get all the addresses! Sometimes outside orders won't put all their info on & if they write a check I'll get their address & phone number. I do always make a copy of every check before I cash it just for bookkeeping.

I do both. I have checks for any outside orders before the show and any orders at the show written out to me. As I'm finishing up with the host, I tell her to have checks for any outside orders that come in after her show written out to her and then she can write me one check for her order and any remaining orders. I've been doing this for quite a while now, and it seems to work for me.

I tell the host that most pay CC and I usually have the others write cks to her, but that I am flexible and if she isn't comfy I will take them. I try to give my customer what they want. A lot of ppl now have ccs with reward points and they like paying for everyone's and getting the pts!

I agree with Gina about it being easier to get the $50 back instead of $550. Knock on wood I have been doing this for about a year and haven't had any bad checks yet. I have had a few declined cc but thats not a huge deal.

I have the checks written out to me because it became cumbersome to explain the guests writing checks to her and then writing one big one to me. Plus, I couldn't get the wording down to tell the guests that. Then, what if a guest brings a friend. How would the host be able to get ahold of that friend if the check bounced. And then there is legal action that I cannot take if the check isn't written to me....whoo....too much sugar!

Thanks so much to everyone for all the advice. I sooooo love this site. It would have taken me YEARS to gleam as much info as I have in the short time since I've joined here. I feel like I've found a second family!

nickywsn said:
Thanks so much to everyone for all the advice. I sooooo love this site. It would have taken me YEARS to gleam as much info as I have in the short time since I've joined here. I feel like I've found a second family!

MOST DEFINETLY Nicky :D

I have all outside order checks written to the host and all orders at the show written to me.

But I really really really stress how EASY it is for everyone just to pay by Debit or Credit card (debits can go through as credits), even for those who place outside orders to write it on the form. Once I started mentioned and emphasizing that we do take credit cards, more and more people are using them. It's great!

I have the host write me one check if it is an out of town show, but for the host in my town I know most of the guest and let them write the check to me.

I have all guests write the check to the host then she writes me 1 for the whole show including her order (unless she puts her amount on a CC)
I do too many shows to keep up with all those payments.
Plus, if she has outside orders who write checks she can get their checks as well.
Teresa

My Director who has been doing this away (9+ yrs) always has the check written to the Host & gets one big one. Once she did have a Host skip out with all the money though! The Host's Mother covered her $800+ show so the guest's items could be ordered (WOW!).

I've been the Host for various Home parties & I always hated being the one to collect all the money. So, I have the guests write it out to me. I've only had one bounced check - but got the cash + fees. And I've had one check get "lost" in the mail (found out it was delivered to my neighbor who was in the hospital and never checked her mail for a month!). I just like it that way better!

Joanne

Check with your bank... My last fundraiser a number of the checks were written out to the school instead of the organization (receiving the donations). I simply signed each check with my name and wrote "For Deposit Only" underneath. I've done that when guests write their checks out to the host as well.

As long as you're not trying to get cash immediately for checks received. Many banks are happy to deposit checks into your account with another's name on it (my husband does this repeatedly for me as well).

This way if guests aren't comfortable writing checks out to you, and the host isn't comfortable depositing that money everyone wins.

Good Luck!
Andrea

I have had too many bounced checks to accept them any longer. Too many is 3! That is enough. Especially considering I haven't recouped the funds from the last bounced check in May 2006!!

I don't accept 1 huge check from the host either. She MUST pay with a debit or credit card. I try to let her know that it benefits her as well. If her card doesn't go through she is not charged, we'll just re-run it when the funds are available. However, if a check bounces there are fees right away!! I've never understood why you as a receiver of a check get charged from your bank!! It isn't your fault the people don't have the money!!

I definitely stress Debit/Credit card payments from everyone. When someone sits down next to me with their checkbook open I tell them that if they were planning on paying with a check I can also accept a Debit card. Most times they are relieved!

My friend does this as well and I was planning on adopting it. She will accept the debit/CC numbers, but anyone writing checks writes them to the host. The host then pays via CC or DC. She has been a consultant for 8 years and has found this is the best way to avoid bounced checks. She had some bad incidents too and this has prevented them.

Also, a funny note on this...my friend always says, "I accept multiple payment types - CC, DC, check to the host, cash, and if you're trying to hide from your husband how much you're spending, I'll take some of each."

I have all of the guest write their checks to me. If your host writes one big check and it bounces, the whole show is tied up, because you are out a lot of money. If one small check bounces, it is a lot easier on you. I have to say I have only had 1 check bounce in almost 6 years...knock on wood.

I used to work for a bank and we would not deposit money into someones account unless it was written to someone who was on the account. Be careful trying to deposit a check written to a hosts name because the bank doesn't have to take it and even if they deposit it they could very well kick it back when it goes to proof.

I do have the checks written to the host then she to me. I have been doing this 6 years and have seen it work both ways for all people. You decide what you want for yourself.

I have a common practice to assure I do not have the hosts' check bounce, call the bank prior to cashing her check. They will let you know if she has the funds to cover the amount then I cash it immediately.

Also, if there is a delay the guests know the host is the one who has their money and I am prepared to let the guests know if there is a delay to whom's fault it could possibly be. This is harsh however, it just takes you 1 time to get burned that you learn. I simply mentioned to the host I had a letter politely explaining why there has been a delay and I had a check in the mail in 2 days. With just a message on her answering machine she realized she did not want her guests to know she was spending their money. Thank goodness this only happened 1 time in the 6 years. Unfortunately there are people like that out there.

I have all the customers write a check to the host and or use a credit card. I then have the host write one check with me. I have built a relationship with the host, I have never had a host bounce a check with me in the last 2 years I have been in business.

The same goes for the customers. The host has a relationship with them not me so they are less likely to write her a bad check and they probably wound't think twice writing me a bad check.

Brenda K., Independent Director:)

C. Schapker said:
I do have the checks written to the host then she to me. I have been doing this 6 years and have seen it work both ways for all people. You decide what you want for yourself.

I've been doing this for 5-1/2 years. I'm comfortable with this way of doing business.

For a Kitchen Show, I've been having the guests write checks to me. For Catalog Shows, they write them to the host.I'm still new at this, but it's working for me so far.

I try to make everything easier on the host. The less work for the host the better. I have checks made out to me. Good point earlier about addresses on the checks.

Related to Anyone Require Host to Collect $$ and Submit 1 Personal Ck to You?

What is the purpose of requiring a host to collect money and submit one personal check to me?

The purpose of this policy is to simplify the payment process for the host and the consultant. By having the host collect all funds from their guests and submitting one personal check to the consultant, it eliminates the need for multiple transactions and makes it easier to keep track of payments.

Can the host pay with a credit or debit card instead of a personal check?

Yes, hosts have the option to pay with a credit or debit card as long as they inform the consultant beforehand. The consultant will provide them with a secure online payment link to make the transaction.

How do I ensure that the host collects all the money from their guests?

As a consultant, it is important to communicate clearly with the host and provide them with a list of expected payments. You can also follow up with the host a few days before the event to remind them to collect payments from their guests.

What should I do if the host fails to submit the personal check to me?

If the host fails to submit the personal check as agreed upon, it is best to reach out to them and remind them of their commitment. If necessary, you can discuss alternative payment options with the host.

Can I collect payments directly from the guests instead of going through the host?

We encourage consultants to follow our policy of having the host collect payments and submit one personal check. This not only simplifies the process but also ensures that all payments are accounted for. However, if there are any special circumstances, you can discuss alternative payment options with the host.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• susanr613
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
laurichef
Replies
Views
AJ-1
  • babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies