• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Warn Your Hosts About the New Payment Policy

In summary, a host was frustrated because she changed her mind about payment method after her show was submitted. The consultant called the Solution Center for an exception but there were none. The only option was to cancel and resubmit the show, which was not fair to the guests. The host wanted to call HO herself. The consultant learned to not close a show until payment is received. Another consultant shared her strategy of giving hosts "go girl goals" to encourage them to close the show on the night of the party and prevent payment issues.
susanr613
Gold Member
Howdy:

I have a frustrated host on my hands. When we wrapped up her show last night, she said she would send me a check for her order. I told her I was going to submit the show that night and did submit her show around 10pm CST.

Today, she called saying she changed her mind and wants to use a credit card. I know that the new policy is no changes, but I called the Solution Center anyway to see if we could make an exception especially since the show was submittted last night. Of course, there are no exceptions.

So, I wrote that to my host and asked if she needed more time to get a check to me. Response was negative, if she can't charge, she would not be able to pay for her 12" skillet and lid.

I called the Solution Center again - the only way around it is to cancel the show, resubmit it, have everyone pay again, then process refunds. There is no way I will suggest that to the host; it is totally unfair to doube-charge the guests because the host changed her mind. The host is already steamed that her guests pay shipping but she has to unpack everything (yes she is new to PC and wasn't in love to begin with).

So, now she wants to call HO herself. I gave her the number and the show number. I asked her to let me know if they are more flexible with her.

Moral of the story - when closing a show, I will tell my hosts that we cannot change the payment method once a show is submitted, and that I am going to submit her show at XX time on XX date.

The irony in all of this is that the show was really a cookout for her friends, there was a TS lady there, and sales were dismal for both of us. As usual, the smallest shows cause the biggest problems. :grumpy:

I don't close a show until I have payment... that might save you next time. Most of my hosts pay by cc or debit card over the phone or get me a check. If they wait to get me a check, I wait to close their show.

good idea - i might have to start doing that

I also do not submit show's until I have all of the payments. However, I started closing my show's the night of them and it is working out wonderfully.

I just sent you a PM about this.

I NEVER close a show without payment either. that is way too risky.

laurie, how do you manage "oh let me bring the catalog to work" and the host not knowing how much free product to shop for? i would loooove to be able to close night of.

thanks!!

I NEVER submit a show without payment first.

jrstephens said:
I NEVER submit a show without payment first.

Many of my past hosts have been people I work with and/or friends so I was a little loose on making sure I had all payments before closing.

But now I have really been getting out of my circle - so I need to make sure I have all payments before closing!

Just this week, I had a gal "close" with me on Saturday. I am waiting for her check to cover $500 of the show. While I was VERY tempted to submit the show on Sept 30 for my bag points, I decided to wait for the check before submitting. It is Thursday and I don't have the check yet. I am sure it will be fine (she is hosting again in Nov) but atleast I am not nervously waiting for the check! I will close once I have it.

Even though I lost points for September, I feel better about waiting.

susanr613 said:
laurie, how do you manage "oh let me bring the catalog to work" and the host not knowing how much free product to shop for? i would loooove to be able to close night of.

thanks!!

This is not my idea, I got it from Julie Wietz (don't remember her new last name now :blushing: from Home).

I give my host's 3 go girl goals at the very beginning when we schedule their show. I even have a sticker on the host packet. They are:
1. 5 outside orders before party
2. 1 outside party scheduled before show
3. Reminder Calls

When I schedule their party, from the beginning I let them know that we will be closing it that night/day in order to honor those guest who will be attending the party and so they can receive their product quickly. Also, I assign "homework" and have them pick out their wish list of products they want for having their show. I continue to remind them of that when I do their hostess coaching calls.

The night/day of the party, I let everyone know after they have placed their order's that "Helen Host" is going to go shopping for her free, half-price and discounted item now, so I have steal her away for a few moments. Having my host be very familiar with their wish list makes it easy for her to pick what she wants.

For example, I had a show this past Monday and she was $10 away from $600 so she tacked a product onto her cousin's order to push her up to the next level. Then she went down her list and we stop when she has everything on her list or at her spending limit. :)

When we are done with her order, I tell whomever is still there (which is most of the guests) that "Helen Host" just saved $xxx just by hosting this party. I actually got another booking just because a guest heard that. She was someone who had said no on her guest care card and during the full-service checkout. Money talks!:D

If you want more info you can PM me.

Laurie,
I like how you do things. I always go over the totals with the hostess while her guests are still there, letting everyone know what she has earned, but I am seriously thinking about closing the night of the show.Oftentimes, when they want to keep the show open for more orders, they do not come up with any anyways!!!

mrssyvo said:
Laurie,
I like how you do things. I always go over the totals with the hostess while her guests are still there, letting everyone know what she has earned, but I am seriously thinking about closing the night of the show.Oftentimes, when they want to keep the show open for more orders, they do not come up with any anyways!!!

That is really what sold me on closing their shows the night/day of. I can probably count on one hand how many order's have come in after the show.

It also takes the stress out of getting the show's closed and in before end of month and incentive deadlines. :thumbup:

what do you say to the ones that want to take a catalog home to hubby cuz he is the cook?

susanr613 said:
good idea - i might have to start doing that

It works great and I tell them when we host coach and remind them the night of their party "We are closing X date (usually within 2-3 days after their show), please have all checks after the show wrote out to you and I'll take one payment by cc or debit card over the phone." They usually go for this way. I've only had a couple hosts who didn't, one gave me a blank check (distant family member) and the others mailed me checks. This also works great for catalog shows so there is no mailing orders and payments.

As for closing the night of the show, if it works for you, do it. I find my hosts go up 2-3 levels after their show so I don't close the night of. At the end of their show, I show them where they are at and what they can get to.

princessmeshelle said:
what do you say to the ones that want to take a catalog home to hubby cuz he is the cook?

I have had that question before and I let them know they are more than welcome to take the catalog home and call me that night if they need to add onto their order.

Otherwise, they can have their own catalog show and possibly get what hubby want's for FREE. I have gained catalog show's that way also.:)

Did you get it figured out? Is she going to pay you?

oh...she did call home office who told her the same thing i told her. she then decided that the pan and lid were not in her personal budget. we left it at her asking me if she still had to write me a check, and me letting her know that i will hold her check until her refund is processed. i will call her tomorrow to "follow up"

she is best friends with a good friend of mine, so i am 95% sure i will get that check.

i am soooo glad i posted this - you all really straightened me out and gave me great suggestions on how to close shows faster.

thanks so much!!!!!!!!

I had a similar problem where the host laid out the money for a guest because the guest had surgery and the guest came back with a cc #. We can't put it on the show and now the host has to get a check from the guest. Live and learn.

wadesgirl said:
It works great and I tell them when we host coach and remind them the night of their party "We are closing X date (usually within 2-3 days after their show), please have all checks after the show wrote out to you and I'll take one payment by cc or debit card over the phone." They usually go for this way. I've only had a couple hosts who didn't, one gave me a blank check (distant family member) and the others mailed me checks. This also works great for catalog shows so there is no mailing orders and payments.

As for closing the night of the show, if it works for you, do it. I find my hosts go up 2-3 levels after their show so I don't close the night of. At the end of their show, I show them where they are at and what they can get to.

This is my experience too. I know that some say to just host coach towards closing the night of the show, but here is my 2 cents on that. Many of my hosts, no matter how well I host coach, just don't get it until they actually see the numbers at the end of evening. Many have outside orders before the show, but not all - and many still have catalogs out to people the day of their show. At the end of the evening, when I show them their show tally (I use the duplicate form on Supply Order) and show them where they are and what the next two levels would be, many will say "Oh, I could get to that level." Almost all of my hosts go up at least one level, and alot of them go up 2-3 levels after their show. There are also usually last minute cancellations because of emergencies, and other conflicts. Those people will often still want to place an order.
I am totally for my Host, her comfort, and her enjoyment of the process. I do not want to make her feel pressured in any way, and I want her to get all of the free product she is hoping to get. I have had hosts close the night of the show - because they are ready. But I never demand or insist that we close the night of the show. Yes, I know that this is my business and I can run it the way I want - so I choose to run my business by putting my hosts and guests before my own wants. This lets my hosts know that I really do care about them. That may be why I have a high ratio of repeat hosts, and a strong customer loyalty. I make very few "demands" on my hosts and treat them as my partners and friends.

Sorry - my own little soapbox there - but I hear alot of scuttle about being in charge and telling the hosts what is going to happen. That bothers me some, because I know that before I was a consultant, I would have bristled and been ticked off is a consultant did that to me. I choose to discuss the course of the show with my hosts and then we decide together the best way of doing things. I help them in the decision making, and am asked often "well, what do you think would be best?" - then I guide them to a mutually acceptable decision.

ChefBeckyD said:
This is my experience too. I know that some say to just host coach towards closing the night of the show, but here is my 2 cents on that. Many of my hosts, no matter how well I host coach, just don't get it until they actually see the numbers at the end of evening. Many have outside orders before the show, but not all - and many still have catalogs out to people the day of their show. At the end of the evening, when I show them their show tally (I use the duplicate form on Supply Order) and show them where they are and what the next two levels would be, many will say "Oh, I could get to that level." Almost all of my hosts go up at least one level, and alot of them go up 2-3 levels after their show. There are also usually last minute cancellations because of emergencies, and other conflicts. Those people will often still want to place an order.
I am totally for my Host, her comfort, and her enjoyment of the process. I do not want to make her feel pressured in any way, and I want her to get all of the free product she is hoping to get. I have had hosts close the night of the show - because they are ready. But I never demand or insist that we close the night of the show. Yes, I know that this is my business and I can run it the way I want - so I choose to run my business by putting my hosts and guests before my own wants. This lets my hosts know that I really do care about them. That may be why I have a high ratio of repeat hosts, and a strong customer loyalty. I make very few "demands" on my hosts and treat them as my partners and friends.

Sorry - my own little soapbox there - but I hear alot of scuttle about being in charge and telling the hosts what is going to happen. That bothers me some, because I know that before I was a consultant, I would have bristled and been ticked off is a consultant did that to me. I choose to discuss the course of the show with my hosts and then we decide together the best way of doing things. I help them in the decision making, and am asked often "well, what do you think would be best?" - then I guide them to a mutually acceptable decision.

I am glad that for those of you who close your shows 2-3 days later you are able to jump up 2-3 levels, unfortunately, I have never had that experience. In fact, my show's are higher now that I am closing that night, then when I left them open and didn't receive any additional orders.

Typically, I do not send their order's in until the next evening when I get home from work. So if there if a guest did have an emergency and wanted to place an order the next day it is still possible.

Last edited:
I didn't read all the posts, so I apologize if someone has suggested this, but some credit cards have cheques you can use. You may want to ask your host if this is an option.

PChefPEI said:
I didn't read all the posts, so I apologize if someone has suggested this, but some credit cards have cheques you can use. You may want to ask your host if this is an option.

In the US, this is usually not a good idea - they often have a higher interest rate, and interest starts accruing on them immediately, with no grace period.

ChefBeckyD said:

I totally agree with everything you said. I have even had some hosts who during host coaching talked about closing the night of the show and even when we plan on it, they always like to see that they can get more by talking to a few more people. I had my host from last Saturday call me Saturday night, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday (we closed on Tuesday) with more orders each day. I love the duplicate forms. I used to use the show time planner but I like how the duplicate forms let you right in who owes what, bookings, etc.

Suggestion next time you have this I have placed the credit card payment on a different show that I was closing, generally under the host and let her know that I have done this just so that there is no confussion. This way every one stays happy.

I have used Pam's suggestion of puting the cc# in on another show order. For as stringent as HO is on the new policy, they are not checking to make sure names match up orders or anything like that. I also thought maybe they could paypal you through credit card.

One more thing... When I first started, about 8 years ago, I had a host stiff me for $234. I closed her show without the payment and then didn't get paid for 3 months. It was before I had the credit card, so, I was just out that money. I ended up getting the police involved (per a HO suggestion) and calling her mother (a customer on the show). The mom ended up paying the bill to keep me from calling the police. She was PISSED, but not at me, livid with her daughter for doing that to me. Needless to say, I learned my lesson. I NEVER close a show without payment unless I am 100% certain it will come, like from my mom or MIL. I have missed out on points and promotions because of it, but I'd rather have that than have to go down the police route again!

I know this isn't what the original post was about, but I needed to throw my 2 cents in on getting $$ before sending stuff in.

I had a similar incident w/ a cc payment. I had entered it as a check, when it was in fact a cc. Hit submit, realized it after the fact. My solution was to charge her card on another show that I had pending. I "traded" payments for someone who had paid cash for the same amount. Of course, I called the guest to clear this, and she was fine w/ it. The charge comes up as Pampered Chef on the statement, so the date was the only difference.
Not recommending this, just stating my solution.

1. What is the new payment policy for Pampered Chef hosts?

The new payment policy for Pampered Chef hosts requires them to pay for their orders in full at the time of purchase, rather than being able to make partial payments or pay at a later date.

2. When does the new payment policy go into effect?

The new payment policy went into effect on [specific date]. Any orders placed after this date will be subject to the new policy.

3. What forms of payment are accepted under the new policy?

We accept all major credit cards, debit cards, and PayPal as forms of payment under the new policy. Cash and checks will no longer be accepted.

4. Will there be any exceptions to the new payment policy?

In rare cases, exceptions may be made for hosts who are experiencing financial hardship. Please reach out to your Pampered Chef consultant for more information.

5. How will the new payment policy affect my host rewards?

The new payment policy will not affect the rewards you earn as a host. You will still receive your host rewards as usual, as long as your party meets the minimum sales requirement.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• SherryLynn
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
SherryLynn
  • Suzyengl
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • chefsteph07