• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Who Will Comfort My Family After Losing My MIL to Cancer?

In summary, a member of the conversation shares that their mother-in-law passed away after battling colon cancer, and asks for prayers for her husband, father-in-law, and sister-in-law. Other members offer their condolences and share their own experiences with loss. The original member expresses concern for her father-in-law who is also facing the loss of his best friend and shares that her son will have a hard time understanding the concept of death. Other members offer prayers and support. One member shares a poem about what cancer cannot do and another offers comforting words. The conversation ends with a member offering hugs and condolences to the original poster.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
Some of you may remember that my MIL was diagnosed with colon cancer this past January. She lost her battle in her sleep last night and is at peace now. Please say a little prayer for DH, FIL and SIL that they will be comforted. And, maybe another little one for me this afternoon when I tell DS (he knew his Nana was sick and going to die, but he really doesn't understand that it is forever :( ). Thanks.

Oh Linda, I'm sorry.

I had a hard enough time telling our kids that our cat had died (I'm really not being flippant) so I can understand how hard that will be for you. I don't even want to tell my kids that my friends Mom is dying so they won't have to worry about their grandparents (or me and DH).

Prayers for you and all your family at this sad time.

So sorry Linda for your loss. Prayers to your family.

So sorry Linda. Prayers sent.

Thanks. DH is taking it pretty hard. And I'm worried about my FIL - not only has he lost his wife, but his best friend is also dying of another form of cancer (he could go any day now). He will be very lonely soon.

So sorry, Linda. I'll be praying for your family - and for you as you tell your little guy.

I'm so sorry to hear that, Linda. I'll pray for strength for you and your family to get through this.

Linda,
Prayers said for you all! I'm so sorry to hear that. That's awful for him to go through the loss of his wife and possibly his best friend soon too. I pray that God comforts you all during this time.
God bless,
Amanda

This is a hard time of year to lose someone--not that there's an easy time. They (and you) will be in my prayers.

So sorry to hear of your loss. Prayers being said for your MIL and family.

Yall are in my prayers Linda.

So sorry Linda for all your family is going through. I just got news this morning that a friend of mine passed away Tuesday unexpectlly. What a week! Prayers and hugs are being sent your way!

Prayers and hugs coming your way!

So sorry for your loss Linda - I lost my MIL 11 years ago after a long illness - it's never easy and unfortunately my children don't remember her - one was just under 3 and the other 4 months old. At least your son will have memories of his grandma - praying for you and your family at this difficult time.

I am so sorry for your loss. I'll keep you and your entire family in our prayers! I'll pray for strength for you all, and that you'll find all the right words to use when you tell your DS.

Linda I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my prayers.

So sorry Linda, You & yours are in my prayers...

Hugs Linda - if DS has a hard time have him snuggle the dogs, they are good at sensing those things and staying close!We'll keep your FIL in our prayers. My Grandfather-in-law died almost 6 months to the day after his wife died...mainly of a broken heart. They had been married 63 years!

Linda, I am so sorry. Prayers going up for your whole family!

I'm so sorry. I will be praying for your family

So sorry for your loss. Cancer is such an ugly monster. May you take some peace that she is now no longer in pain. Prayers for everyone!!

When I was fighting cancer I was given this poem and it really comforted me- may it comfort you in your time of grief:

What Cancer Cannot Do

Cancer is so limited...

It cannot cripple love
It cannot shatter hope
It cannot corrode faith
It cannot destroy peace
It cannot kill friendship
It cannot suppress memories
It cannot silence courage
It cannot invade the soul
It cannot steal eternal life
It cannot conquer the spirit.

-unknown

Linda I'm so sorry for your loss. I will be praying for all of you.

Take Care,

Oh Linda. I am so sorry to hear that this has happened. I'll pray for peace for you and your family. Also for God to give you the words your son, FIL & DH will be need and want to hear.
It can be so hard to answer kids' questions about death. They are such concrete thinkers and souls, eternity and heaven can be pretty tought concepts to grasp.
Best wishes & greatest sympathy to you all.

Linda, I am so sorry for your loss. {{{{HUGS}}}}

Linda I'm sorry about your MIL. Your family will be in my prayers.

{{{HUGS}}} Linda ~ may your wonderful memories help your family get through this sad and difficult time. I will not just pray now, but especially with the holidays fast approaching. Regarding your little one...I used to tell a different story every night ~ it kept the memory alive.

Linda~ I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Prayers going up for you all.

I can not begin to immagine what you and your family are going thru. Please know that we are all here for you and sending good wishes your way.

Linda -

SO sorry for your family's loss! Prayers are being sent!

Linda
Hugs and prayers to your family
its never easy especially around the holidays
Hoping your husband finds comfort in knowing her suffering is over.

I am very sadden to hear of you and your families loss Linda.

Linda,
So sorry for your loss. Praying for all of your family.

Thanks everyone. DS actually took it very well. He's 6 and I don't think he will really understand that she is gone until we go to Colorado for the funeral and he doesn't see her.

All he said when I told him was "that makes me very sad" and "Is Gramps going to be lonely with out Nana?" We then called DH and Jacob talked to him and told him that Nana was in heaven with God.

On a lighter note.....I talked to DH a little while ago. He and his sister and his dad and several of his sister's friends are sitting around reminiscing. What's so funny about this is that my SIL is gay and is in a 'relationship'. So, picture this: its DH, FIL and 8 lesbian women sitting at FIL's house, drinking whiskey and reading entries from MIL's journals. (MIL was huge on recoring her memoirs). Well, they are reading the letters she wrote when SIL 'came-out' - entitled "My Daugher is a Lesbian") DH says it is quite comical what MIL had to say about the situation (this was @ 15 years ago).

I remember the night my grandpa died, we all sat around at my grandma's house and had a really good night, I had forgotten about it until you said about your hubby and family and the journal. We celebrated his life will all kinds of stories about him. I miss him dearly, I was 24 when he passed, and I'm thankful for all of the time I got to spend with him. I'm so sorry that your DS has to go through this at such a young age, but maybe it's easier for him.

I don't remember where I heard/read this, heck maybe it was even on here, but 2 children lost their mom. At the luncheon after the funeral they began to fight and one said to the other I'm telling mom, the other said you can't she's dead, then they said then I'm telling dad. Kids seem to be able to adjust so much better then we give them credit for!

I hope the services go well, and things during the holidays go as smoothely as possible for everyone involved.

You are in my prayers in the loss of your MIL. I'm glad that your DH and his family are able to be "happy" in reliving some memories. We started a new tradition this year with our family Christmas tree since we have combine my ornaments and DD & SIL's ornaments on one tree. We let my 2 yo grandson take down 3 ornaments to hear the "ornament story". Some are mine, some are his Maw's (who has been gone 11-1/2 years), some are his Mom's, and some are his Dad's, so he hears stories all the time. I tell him things about his Maw all the time and he has her picture. Although he doesn't understand the concept of "living in Heaven with Jesus" yet, he knows Maw was a very special lady.

So sorry Linda; {{hugs}} to you.

God Bless your family and I will surely pray for you all!

Hey everyone,

We're in Colorado for the funeral (tomorow). The family could sure use some prayers of strength. They are all having a very tough time - especially FIL, his best friend died 4 days after MIL from pancreatic cancer (which was diagnosed 3 weeks before he died).

On a lighter note: DS is still trying to figure all of this out. MIL was creamated so he knows she is ashes (thatnkfully he hasn't asked how she became ashes, I'm afraid he would have nightgmares). anyhow, he keeps asking about parts of her body and if they are ashes too. Yesterday he asked about the yolks of her eyes.....I was lost on that one! He meant the Whites of her eyes!

The mind of a child is an entertaining thing!

Linda,
Prayers said for your family. I'm sorry that your FIL has to go through two close losses together like this. I'm glad that your son seems to be taking it well. I guess it's hard for kids to understand. And I am glad that everyone was able to enjoy the time together reading her journal. Hope you continue to have a safe trip!
God bless,
Amanda

I agree that it is very hard for kids to understand. But at the same time I feel that without them things would be a lot harder. They lighten up the seriousness a bit. I personally couldn't have gone thru some stuff with out my baby. Linda, may this all go as smooth as possible and know that your MIL is in a better place...a place without pain. (((HUGS)))

Last edited:
I'm very glad that he is asking questions, it means that he is trying to understand it, and the questions are definatly that of a 6 yo. I'm sorry to hear that your FIL is having a rough time. I'm not sure if I could deal with losing my spouse and best friend all in one week.

Thinking of your family today Linda.

thanks Lacy. Everyone practiced their speaches last night and SIL played the DVD of MIL's photos....it will be very sad - I hope DH can get through his part w/o breaking down. Everyone had to stop several times to compose themself.

SIL's bday is tomorrow and we are planning to go out to dinner together this evening.

I can relate with your SIL. My cousin died right before my 18th bday, & the funeral was the day before my bday. I think of him often, but especially around then.

Linda, I'm very sorry for this news. I am sending prayers your way, for your husband and for your entire family!

HUGS!

We're home. The funeral was very nice, @ 250 people were there. It was a sad event. Everyone seems to be coping pretty well though. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers. DS saw his first REAL snow and had a blast, I'll post a few pictures of that later.

Glad you're home safely....now the real healing will begin for all of you ~ more prayers for all of you!

1. What should I say to my family members who are grieving the loss of my MIL?

You can offer your condolences and let them know that you are there for them if they need anything. It's also helpful to share memories and stories of your MIL to celebrate her life.

2. How can I support my family during this difficult time?

You can offer practical help, such as cooking meals, running errands, or helping with funeral arrangements. Emotional support is also important, so make sure to check in with your family members and be there to listen to them.

3. Is it normal to feel guilty for not being able to comfort my family enough?

Grief is a complex and individual process, and it's normal to feel a range of emotions, including guilt. Remember that you are doing your best to support your family, and it's okay to also take care of yourself during this time.

4. How can I help my child understand and cope with the loss of their grandparent?

Be honest and age-appropriate when talking to your child about death. Let them know that it's okay to feel sad and to ask questions. Make sure to also provide them with love and support during this difficult time.

5. What resources are available for families dealing with the loss of a loved one to cancer?

There are many resources available, such as grief counseling, support groups, and online communities. Your local hospice or cancer center may also have resources and recommendations for coping with grief. Don't hesitate to reach out for help if needed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedlinda
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
imported_iteachurkid
Replies
Views
heat123
  • hmolah
  • General Chat
Replies