• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What's on the Menu for Christmas Dinner?

In summary, we're planning a roast duck, au gratin potatoes, garlicky green beans with pine nuts, Parker House rolls, tiramisu, and assorted chips, crackers, and a cheese ball.
raebates
Staff member
We're planning:

Roast Duck
Au Gratin Potatoes
Garlicky Green Beans with Pine Nuts
Parker House Rolls
Tiramisu

I'll steam the duck the day before, the put in on the rotisserie. Most of the rest can be done ahead of time, so I won't be spending all day in the kitchen.

What do you have planned?

I don't know.

I had a big dinner planned, but now with my family not able to make it for Christmas, it may just be the three of us for Christmas dinner. I asked DH last night what he wanted and he hasn't given me an answer yet.

Unless we can find some other people who have nothing to do for Christmas...then we could have them over! Maybe I should suggest that to DH - that would be fun!

hmmm...which one? Ha, we have 4 to go to; none at our house this year.
Today at grandmas' we're having turkey-ham-etc, Xmas eve at my parents is always catfish chowder---which we're missing to go to dh's dad's where we're having Mexican, don't know what we're doing Xmas day, or next week at dh's mom's...

We've got a lot to do as well.... lol

Today we're going to my cousin's for my extended family Christmas party. I'm so happy that we are all still so close. It's all of my mom's brothers & sisters & their families. I love it! We're having turkey, ham, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls, cool veggie pizza & black forest trifle. I know there's more, but I can't think of the rest.

Tuesday, we're getting together with friends for some pizza & to exchange gifts.

Christmas Eve is with my IL's. We'll do something traditional there, but I'm never sure what. Probably German potato salad :yuck:

Christmas morning I'll make a big breakfast for my family, including my mom & brother. We'll open gifts here, then go to DH's cousin's house for lunch. We'll come back home & then veg out while the kids play with their gifts.

Phew.

My oldest DD is going to her dad's Christmas morning at 10 so I'll be missing her. :(

DS and I are doing the "Jewish Christmas" - movie and Chinese food!

Christmas Eve is Mexican food at our best friends house. Her inlaws are visiting and this is our turn to go there for Christmas eve
then Christmas day they will all come here we are having
texas caviar and tortilla chips, stuffed jalepenos grilled,
cheeseball
a tray of pepperocinis, pickled okra & dill pickles
brisket, smoked sausage, potato salad, yeast rolls, mac & cheese, pinto beans, coleslaw, creamed corn, hash brown casserole
and for dessert a lemon cake with raspberry coulis, fudge jumbles and homemade cookies and candy

raebates said:
We're planning:

Roast Duck
Au Gratin Potatoes
Garlicky Green Beans with Pine Nuts
Parker House Rolls
Tiramisu

I'll steam the duck the day before, the put in on the rotisserie. Most of the rest can be done ahead of time, so I won't be spending all day in the kitchen.

What do you have planned?

The garlic infused canola oil is awesome with greenbeans!!!!!

We are doing an appetizer spread.
Greek Cheese Torta
Bread Bowl Artichoke dip
Buffalo Chicken dip
to name a few
plus different chips, crackers & baquette

And a Tiramisu too!

Christmas dinner... what ever DH and I feel like making. We actually aren't doing anything for Christmas day. Christmas Eve is chili and appetizers at my inlaws. We have one next weekend thats all soups and one New Years Day that will be the full turkey dinner.

Chhristmas Eve is my annual chaotic party. All appetizers and drinks.
bacon wrapped scallops, sausage and peppers, cranberry meatballs, pizza dip, cheese crackers, pepper pecan brie. VERY YUMMY! That counts as dinner for us also and then cinnamon buns ala pillsbury christmas morning and I am making lasagna tommorrow night for Christmas Dinner. Very easy and all I have to do is stick it in the oven. We used to do Surf and Turf, but I think we are moving that to New years.
I love Christmas week :)

Well, I have 2 to do.

The extended family Christmas is at my house and me doing all of it because I had pneumonia during Thanksgiving so it had to be at sister-in-laws with her basically doing all of it. That dinner will be on Jan. 3 because of different people being out of town.
I am thinking a regular lasagna and a seafood lasagna, salad, bread, dessert.

Then on Christmas day, it will be hubby, son, father-in-law and I.
I have all the stuff on hand for a chicken dinner at home but in the back of my mind I am considering a picnic dinner at the beach since it is forecast to be 82 degrees.
But I have had no energy or enthusiasm for decorating, buying, or such. I think I am getting sick again or maybe a relapse for not resting well enough.
And it seems as though the rule is, if Momma doesn't do it, it doesn't get done - just complained about.

susanr613 said:
DS and I are doing the "Jewish Christmas" - movie and Chinese food!
DH and I have participated in that tradition with friends of ours for the past couple of years. :)

Christmas Eve we go to my IL's for the Italian dinner "feast of the 7 (or is it 12..) fishes". We have 5 different dishes with fish in it. My DH makes squid in a tomato sause that smells up my whole house:yuck:, he is making it today. I do like fish but I don't care for the squid the way he makes it. Then on Christmas Day we have lasagana and eggplant parm with my family. My mom has been doing that since I was a kid we are as Irish as they come but it's an easy dinner that can be made ahead of time and just cooked and served without a lot of work. We will have some appitizers and for dessert I am making pinnapple upside down cake, brownies and cookies.

DH is working Christmas this year :( so DS and I are going to the neighbor's house. Not sure what I'm taking - he said whatever you want to bring is fine....I need to call her for the official plans - LOL

pamperedlinda said:
DH is working Christmas this year :( so DS and I are going to the neighbor's house. Not sure what I'm taking - he said whatever you want to bring is fine....I need to call her for the official plans - LOL

HA! Good to hear your neighbors have a normal marriage relationship!

Christmas Eve is the dreaded 8 hour drive to Las Vegas and Christmas day will be spent at our hotel...This is the hardest Christmas...My best friend is getting married on the 27th. Luckily my boyfriends mom and my mom are also coming to the wedding so the days will be spent with family...no cooking :( but... no clean up :)

ChefBeckyD said:
I don't know.

Unless we can find some other people who have nothing to do for Christmas...then we could have them over! Maybe I should suggest that to DH - that would be fun!

That's what we try to do - we are pretty much NEVER with family for Christmas. I always want to do a big traditional english Christmas dinner anyway, so it is fun to have someone to share it with, especially if it is someone who would otherwise be on their own.

I am off to the store to get my groceries now!

Last edited:
Turkey
Ham roll-ups
Mashed potatoes
Brussels sprouts
Corn
Stuffing
cranberry sauce
roasted cauliflower
pumpkin cream cheese cake
shortbread

DH's family does Christmas Eve. I'm making mashed potatoes and the Cherry Cordial Torte from the holiday cookbook. I have no idea what else we're having.And we have ZERO plans for Christmas Day. If any other Cheffers want to descend on my house, you're more than welcome to! Just let me know so I can head to the grocery store so that we can cook up a storm as a group. :)

I am not sure what I am going to cook yet. For the past 2 years, my father, his wife, and my brother and sister have been here, but my sister has to work this year, so we will be all alone. I am thinking about treating us to prime rib. If not, it may be a steak and salmon dinner. I am not feeling all that ambitious these days.

We ordered a Honey-Baked Ham today to pick up on Christmas Eve. We'll have that on Christmas Day. Not sure all the fixin's with it since we aren't sure yet. I know there will be Crescent Rolls because they are our favorite! Hmmm...since I have a new Trifle Bowl, I may have to pick something really exciting for that!

Christmas Eve I have to go to the dentist for 2 hours to have a tooth finished up for a cap (I broke it a few weeks ago).Then I work 10-2 (only took 1/2 day off).Then Childrens' Program at church - kids have to do it for both services - 5 p.m. and 7 p.m.
They are serving dinner for us in between I guess (yeah!) - no cooking.For Christmas Day, my mom had bought us a frozen turkey at Thanksgiving and sent it up with us. I just moved it from freezer to fridge this afternoon.We'll have that...stuffing, corn, cranberry, mashed potatoes/gravy, rolls...and probably chocolate cake for dessert to please the boys.Very simple and traditional and a quiet day just to ourselves.

chefann said:
DH's family does Christmas Eve. I'm making mashed potatoes and the Cherry Cordial Torte from the holiday cookbook. I have no idea what else we're having.

And we have ZERO plans for Christmas Day. If any other Cheffers want to descend on my house, you're more than welcome to! Just let me know so I can head to the grocery store so that we can cook up a storm as a group. :)

I'm so tempted Ann! It's just a little further than I want to drive. I do love you though :D See you in Denver?

We are doing a spiral ham that was given to us by my BFs mother, mashed potatoes, scalloped corn, someone will bring a salad, and dessert will be everyones goodies they've made this year!

Prime Rib
Au Gratin Potatoes
Salad
Homemade sourdough bread
Carrots
Berry Pie
Happy Birthday Jesus Cake

Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

The girls are coming home for Christmas, and no inlaws so we are having pizza for Christmas Eve, and ham & the fixings for Christmas dinner. Inlaws are coming New Years Day instead, and I am not fixing big meal twice, so it is Italian Beef and chips for them.

Our Christmas Eve dinner tradition is Tomato Gravy and biscuits with bacon on the side and blackberry gravy on biscuits for desserts. Can you tell I was raised in the south? :) On Christmas Day, we do my husband's family tradition of fondue. We'll do an oil fondue and a chocolate fondue.

Tomato Gravy and Blackberry Gravy? I've never had or heard of either!

Traditional turkey dinner for us.

Turkey for us too!

With stuffing,
gravy,
roast potatoes,
mashed potatoes,
roast parsnips (YUM!),
carrots,
brussels sprouts
and mini sausages wrapped in bacon that get cooked around the turkey.

That's my family's traditional Christmas Dinner!

Except we won't have any Christmas pudding as I have had NO time to make one :(. Last year my mum sent me a tiny one :).

I am going to make the cranberry dessery with the pound cake and all the creamy stuff from the holiday desserts book though, I have been wanting to try that one out!

I just hope my turkey is thawed out in time :).

This year it's just me, hubby, and his dad. I'm making . . .

Ham (does anyone have a homemade glaze recipe?)
Ranch Dressing Potatoes (hubby loves this - it's sort of like a cheesy potato salad baked in the oven)
Squash Casserole
Succotash (baby green lima's w/ corn & bacon!)
Homemade Rolls
Cranberry Sauce
Spinach Dip, cheese, sausage, crackers, pickles, and olives for snacking
Heath Brownie Dessert (hubby also loves this!)

We're doing absolutely nothing on Christmas day! This will actually be the first year in a LONG time where we stayed home all day. I'm really looking forward to it. Cooking and cleaning up together, reflecting on the true meaning of CHRISTmas . . . just being together!

Cooking for 10 on Christmas Eve
Smoked Turkey
Apple Sausage Rye Dressing
Turkey Gravy
Smashed Potatoes
Brussel Sprouts
Buttered Corn
Green Bean Casserole
Cranberry Sauce

Strawberry Shortcake and Tiramisu for Dessert
Also making Linguini Baccala for those brave ones in my family!

Merry Christmast to all!

Anniebee, My husband and I have wondered for some time what Christmas pudding is. What does it taste like? Thanks!

We're going to my MIL's for Christmas Eve (not sure what she's fixing) and then to my mom and dad's for Christmas day. It'll bve a traditional turkey dinner. I need to make something to bring but haven't decided yet.

God bless,
Amanda

For Christmas Eve with my sisters and brothers-in law, I'm making:

Appetizer: Classic Reuben Brain
Entree: Baked Potato Soup, Spinach Salad, Pork Loin Roast, Mushroom Risotto
Dessert: Caramel Pecan Bread Pudding and a Streusel Apple Cranberry Pie

For Christmas Morning with the visiting step-kids, I'm making:
Mini-Cinnamon Christmas Tree Rolls, Country Breakfast Bake, and we're setting up a make-your-own pancake and waffle bar with bananas, chocolate chips, blueberries, strawberries and whipped topping.

For Christmas Night dinner at my nephew's house, I'm making a Coconut Cake.

Notice how almost all of my menu selections are using a Pampered Chef recipe? :chef:

except for the brain it sounds good

Teresa Lynn said:
except for the brain it sounds good
Ooopps.

Braid.

I really must learn not to go gettin' my drink on during lunchtime. :blushing:

We've changed our menu a bit. We'll be having Royal Blend rice instead of Au Gratin Potatoes. We decided our son might enjoy the rice, and it should go well with the duck.

jesusluvsu2005 said:
Anniebee, My husband and I have wondered for some time what Christmas pudding is. What does it taste like? Thanks!

We're going to my MIL's for Christmas Eve (not sure what she's fixing) and then to my mom and dad's for Christmas day. It'll bve a traditional turkey dinner. I need to make something to bring but haven't decided yet.

God bless,
Amanda

Christmas pudding is a steamed pudding, heavy with dried fruit and nuts, and usually made with suet. It is very dark in appearance - effectively black - as a result of the dark sugars and black treacle in most recipes, and its long cooking time. The mixture can be moistened with the juice of citrus fruits, brandy and other alcohol. I have always thought of Christmas pudding as a required taste. I like mine drenched in brandy butter;)

jesusluvsu2005 said:

Christmas Pudding is kind of like a really moist, VERY rich fruitcake, but is not made with a batter, and is not at all cakey, it looks almost black! It contains LOTS of dried fruit (raisins, currants, sultanas), candied peel, chopped almonds, orange and lemon zest, finely chopped apple, a tiny bit of flour and some bread crumbs. Then eggs, suet, stout (eg guiness) and brandy. Mix it all together, pack it into a pudding basin (ie a glass bowl shaped like our batter bowl). Wrap it tightly with a few layers of parchment paper, then foil and tie it up with string. Then steam it for 8 hours(!) my mum uses a pressure cooker which speeds it up). Then keep it in a cool place until Christmas day!! (It is better when made WELL ahead, even a month ahead).

When you are ready to serve it, you steam it again for a couple of hours to heat it through (again, much quicker in a pressure cooker!), then turn it out onto a plate, stick a sprig of holly in the top, pour on a couple of Tbsp of warmed brandy and set it on fire, then bring to the table!!

It is soooooo yummy! Oh, and you can also get metal Christmas pudding molds that are spherical, to make one that looks like the ones you see in pictures that are shaped like balls.

Best served with real whipped cream and brandy butter (butter, powdered sugar and brandy - basically a very stiff brandy flavoured buttercream).

My mouth is watering just thinking about it...

You really have to try it to get it. :)

And FYI, "pudding" in England is another word for dessert. So we would ask, "what's for pudding?" which over here makes no sense at all! What you call pudding, we would call "instant whip" or "angel delight" (brand names).

Traditionally a true pudding is a cake/dessert that is cooked by steaming in a pudding bowl. Most of them are more like dense moist cakes and are often served with custard. Christmas pudding is very unique! I miss them... I'll have to find some recipes to make myself!

Oops - posting at the same time, Rennae! I figure one of the Canadians would know too!

Here's a picture for anyone who's interested...

Attachments

• christmaspudding.gif
    christmaspudding.gif
    33.9 KB · Views: 355
AnnieBee said:
Oops - posting at the same time, Rennae! I figure one of the Canadians would know too!

Here's a picture for anyone who's interested...

Yup your right, Canada is steeped in English traditions as well.

My family is also from Scotland and have many Scotish/English traditions.

rennea said:
Yup your right, Canada is steeped in English traditions as well.

That reminds me of a joke: Canada could have had the best in the world - the technology of the Americans, cuisine of the French and culture of the English. Instead, they ended up with the technology of the French, cuisine of the English and culture of the Americans. :D

BadGirl said:
For Christmas Eve with my sisters and brothers-in law, I'm making:

Appetizer: Classic Reuben Brain
Entree: Baked Potato Soup, Spinach Salad, Pork Loin Roast, Mushroom Risotto
Dessert: Caramel Pecan Bread Pudding and a Streusel Apple Cranberry Pie

For Christmas Morning with the visiting step-kids, I'm making:
Mini-Cinnamon Christmas Tree Rolls, Country Breakfast Bake, and we're setting up a make-your-own pancake and waffle bar with bananas, chocolate chips, blueberries, strawberries and whipped topping.

For Christmas Night dinner at my nephew's house, I'm making a Coconut Cake.

Notice how almost all of my menu selections are using a Pampered Chef recipe? :chef:

What is the recipe for the Country Breakfast Bake? Is it kid pleasing?

chefann said:
That reminds me of a joke: Canada could have had the best in the world - the technology of the Americans, cuisine of the French and culture of the English. Instead, they ended up with the technology of the French, cuisine of the English and culture of the Americans. :D

Bah!!!!!!!

And I add to that, what's wrong with English cuisine?! :)

AnnieBee said:
And I add to that, what's wrong with English cuisine?! :)

Not a darn thing!!!!;):p

Rennea, I like you! :);)

hmm... English cuisine = anything that can be boiled beyond recognition.I kid! I'm just joking.There's also deep fried fish. And curry.

Ann, I *think* I can forgive you... :)

*kiss* You know I'm joking. :)
Big hugs!!

Hugs back!

And believe me, if I didn't think you were kidding, I could mention a few interesting US "dishes"... But I don't think we need to resurrect the jello thread :D!

Just be sure to remember the English next time you make a trifle :)

<h2>1. What do I need to make Roast Duck for Christmas dinner?</h2><p>To make Roast Duck, you will need a whole duck, salt, pepper, and any desired seasonings or herbs. You will also need a roasting pan and a meat thermometer to ensure that the duck is cooked to the proper temperature.</p><h2>2. How do I prepare Au Gratin Potatoes for Christmas dinner?</h2><p>To prepare Au Gratin Potatoes, you will need potatoes, cheese, milk, butter, flour, and seasonings. You will need to peel and slice the potatoes, then layer them with the cheese and sauce mixture before baking in the oven until golden and bubbly.</p><h2>3. Can you provide the recipe for Garlicky Green Beans with Pine Nuts?</h2><p>Yes, the recipe for Garlicky Green Beans with Pine Nuts can be found on the Pampered Chef website or in our holiday recipe booklet. It calls for fresh green beans, garlic, pine nuts, olive oil, and seasonings, and can be prepared by sautéing the ingredients together in a pan.</p><h2>4. Are the Parker House Rolls available for purchase through Pampered Chef?</h2><p>Yes, Pampered Chef offers a variety of bread and roll mixes, including Parker House Rolls, that can be purchased and prepared at home. These rolls can be made ahead of time and reheated before serving for Christmas dinner.</p><h2>5. What is the recommended method for preparing the Tiramisu?</h2><p>To prepare Tiramisu, you will need ladyfingers, coffee, mascarpone cheese, eggs, sugar, and cocoa powder. The ladyfingers are dipped in the coffee and layered with the cheese mixture before chilling in the refrigerator. It is recommended to make this dessert the day before Christmas dinner to allow the flavors to develop.</p>

1. What do I need to make Roast Duck for Christmas dinner?

To make Roast Duck, you will need a whole duck, salt, pepper, and any desired seasonings or herbs. You will also need a roasting pan and a meat thermometer to ensure that the duck is cooked to the proper temperature.

2. How do I prepare Au Gratin Potatoes for Christmas dinner?

To prepare Au Gratin Potatoes, you will need potatoes, cheese, milk, butter, flour, and seasonings. You will need to peel and slice the potatoes, then layer them with the cheese and sauce mixture before baking in the oven until golden and bubbly.

3. Can you provide the recipe for Garlicky Green Beans with Pine Nuts?

Yes, the recipe for Garlicky Green Beans with Pine Nuts can be found on the Pampered Chef website or in our holiday recipe booklet. It calls for fresh green beans, garlic, pine nuts, olive oil, and seasonings, and can be prepared by sautéing the ingredients together in a pan.

4. Are the Parker House Rolls available for purchase through Pampered Chef?

Yes, Pampered Chef offers a variety of bread and roll mixes, including Parker House Rolls, that can be purchased and prepared at home. These rolls can be made ahead of time and reheated before serving for Christmas dinner.

5. What is the recommended method for preparing the Tiramisu?

To prepare Tiramisu, you will need ladyfingers, coffee, mascarpone cheese, eggs, sugar, and cocoa powder. The ladyfingers are dipped in the coffee and layered with the cheese mixture before chilling in the refrigerator. It is recommended to make this dessert the day before Christmas dinner to allow the flavors to develop.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
babywings76
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
Stephaniecafe
  • esavvymom
  • Recipes and Tips