• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Would You Do? Noncontiguous State Shipping Rate

A
AFwife
I just had a show last Saturday. Someone asked me about the $5 extra charge and I said, oh don't worry just go by the little box that says how much shipping is according to how much you spent.

A lot of folks were talking and I misunderstood.

I'm putting in orders today and finally realized what she was asking.

Because I'm in England, we now have to pay those extra 5 bucks. I had told her not to worry about it.

Everyone followed suit. And now I'm may have to fork over $75 to pay for my mistake.

What would you do?

Would you charge the $5 to their credit cards anyway and send them a letter explaining the charge or would you give them a gift certificate for $5 to use at any time?

Problem with $5 GC is, I'm moving in 10 weeks back stateside and then they won't be able to use it with me.

I guess it doesn't matter if I lose their business, I'm moving anyways but the hostess is a friend and I hate for them to be upset with her because of this and end up not ever going to a show she may do in the future with any other consultant.

HELP!

That's tricky. I'd probably fork over the $75 because you'd really have to call everyone to get authorization to charge them more then what is on their receipt. BUT I would put all of those $5 in as Consultant Gifts so that it ends up being an expense for next years taxes.

I've messed up with shipping so many times! I know how frustrated you are. If you're ever in front of those women again, and they ask about the $5 you can tell them that you had misunderstood the original woman's question and took the added expense as a life lesson.

I would call them each individually and explain that you made a mistake. If they seem unhappy, I'd cover the $5.

I agree with Debbie.

Ok so I went to go look and I don't have enough gifts to give everyone. Not any that are of equal value to the $5 anyways.

Dh said I should eat the $75 and I recounted it's actually $85. YIKES!

This really sucks.

I can't call them cause a lot of them didn't leave a phone number. And it's 9pm here, well almost and I'd hate to call anyone at this time for my mistake.

I guess I'll just suck it up. OI VEY!

My general rule of thumb is that if it's my mistake, I take the hit. However, this is a hefty chunk of change. I think I'd probably give each one a call and explain. Most people will be really understanding. After all, we're Pampered, not perfect. Right?

Ok here's another question.

One of the guest, put her order in via the website. I got the order in the email telling me, to add this to Pampered Partner.

NOW, her grand total on the printout says $27.00 but when I put it into PP it says $32.00

How could they tell her it's one amount then have me enter it into PP to later tell her it's a different amount.

That's just wrong. IMO they are lieing to the customer and then forcing me to break the news to them about the extra 5 bucks.

I'm wondering what happened at checkout here.....you didn't add the $5 and you didn't get phone numbers.

Did you sit down with each person to take their order?

Mistakes happen, and I have found that most people are very understanding.

I would ask the host for the guests' phone numbers and call each one. Start out by saying, "Thank you for coming to the show, I hope you enjoyed yourself, etc. I want to apologize. I made a big mistake on each guests's order and didn't charge the right shipping and handling. There's an additional $5.00 charge that needs to be added. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience, and although I would really love to be able to pay for it, it would be $85 (you could add 'which is just about all of my commission'). I really hope you understand, and to say thank you, I'm going to give you a free Season's Best with your order". Then add a SB for each guest to the host's order (so that you're getting it at a discount and getting commission on it).

Good luck!

I like Diane's idea. That way you offer something for your mistake before they have a chance to complain about it.

It was a very big crowd. They had given me their orders and money and then left.

I should have doubled checked but was going on blind faith that they did it right.

When I started imputting it on PP I realized what the extra $5 was about. I don't normally NOT check orders before leaving a show, but they were all past clients and I well, trusted them. But it really wasn't a trust issue at all, it was a, I needed to double check before letting them leave, issue.

It's ALL ME! And the hole in my pocket now is well deserved.

AFwife said:
Ok here's another question.

One of the guest, put her order in via the website. I got the order in the email telling me, to add this to Pampered Partner.

NOW, her grand total on the printout says $27.00 but when I put it into PP it says $32.00

How could they tell her it's one amount then have me enter it into PP to later tell her it's a different amount.

That's just wrong. IMO they are lieing to the customer and then forcing me to break the news to them about the extra 5 bucks.

Make sure they had indicated direct shipping and not ship to host.

I hate that you're having this problem. We've discussed the $5 surcharge for those of us at APO addresses extensively on here. It does suck. Didn't your Director make sure you were aware of the change? It wasn't especially well advertised.

AFwife said:
It was a very big crowd. They had given me their orders and money and then left.

I should have doubled checked but was going on blind faith that they did it right.

When I started imputting it on PP I realized what the extra $5 was about. I don't normally NOT check orders before leaving a show, but they were all past clients and I well, trusted them. But it really wasn't a trust issue at all, it was a, I needed to double check before letting them leave, issue.

It's ALL ME! And the hole in my pocket now is well deserved.

If they're mostly past customers, might you have their phone numbers in PP? And adding the SB would be great except then you or the host would have to personally distribute them yourselves (since you can't legally do it via APO).

Thanks Debi.

No I haven't heard from anyone on this.

I'm going to suck it up and just learn from my mistake.

I've had some extra orders come in from another consulting job I have and I'm going to use that unexpected commission to pay for this booboo.

Thanks everyone again. :)

Related to What Would You Do? Noncontiguous State Shipping Rate

What would you do?

I would apologize for the confusion and explain the situation to the customer. I would offer to either charge the $5 to their credit card or provide them with a $5 gift certificate to use at a later time.

Would you charge the $5 to their credit cards anyway and send them a letter explaining the charge or would you give them a gift certificate for $5 to use at any time?

I would leave the decision up to the customer. I would explain the options and let them choose which one they prefer.

Problem with $5 GC is, I'm moving in 10 weeks back stateside and then they won't be able to use it with me.

If the customer chooses the $5 gift certificate option, I would make sure to mention this potential issue to them and offer to transfer the gift certificate to another consultant if they are unable to use it before I move.

I guess it doesn't matter if I lose their business, I'm moving anyways but the hostess is a friend and I hate for them to be upset with her because of this and end up not ever going to a show she may do in the future with any other consultant.

I would try to find a compromise that satisfies both the customer and the hostess. This could include offering a discount on their next purchase or providing a free shipping code for their next order.

HELP!

I would apologize again for the confusion and offer to make it right for the customer. I would also make sure to communicate clearly with future customers about the noncontiguous state shipping rate to avoid any further misunderstandings.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedval
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
ShanaSmith
  • PamperedChefDebi
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
DMB75
  • beckybell27