• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What To Do When a Customer Waits Too Long: A Story of Hospitality

In summary, the customer ordered an item from the outlet that came in broken. The replacement item was also wrong and the customer was told to keep the incorrect item while waiting for the correct one. After two months with no contact from the customer, the seller gave the incorrect item away at a party. However, the customer called back later to retrieve the item and the seller is now left with two of the same item. Suggestions are given to resolve the situation, including exchanging the item for something else and contacting the hospitality director for a potential replacement. Lessons are learned about communication and holding onto items for too long.
angmillar
In October, I had an online customer that ordered something from the outlet that came in broken. So, HO replaced it, but sent the wrong item. The 12 cup muffin stone was sent instead of the item she had ordered. So, I was told to give the customer the muffin stone for her inconvience, while she waited for her real replacement.

I called a few times to tell her this, and I waited for her to call me back, so I could get the muffin stone to her. And, she never called. After waiting two months, I wasn't sure if I was ever going to talk with her. So, at my host appreciation party last week, I gave the muffin stone away.

Guess what? She called today to see if she could run by and pick it up! YIKES!! Lesson learned... I just thought after two months, she would have called or something if she had wanted it.

My hospitality director here is hoping she has one in stock for me to purchase, if not, I'm not sure what I'm going to do!!!

Any ideas?? And, how long do you all hold on to items like this??

I've not been in that situation but based on your experience... I guess I would have to say I'd hold on to it until they called to get it. I know how crazy my life is so I do understand how she didn't make time to get it from you. That doesn't excuse how slow she was... just means I understand it.

Maybe explain what happened and offer to buy her a new one - she may say no, but if she says yes, you can order it next month with the discount.

I think I'd hold on to it till I spoke to her also.

Hopefully your director has one you can purchase. Otherwise I think Lindsay has a good point about ordering her one and getting a discount. Unfortunately it is her stone. Although she did not pay for it, it was a gift to her. I would hold on to it until the guest called to say they did not want it. People's lives are crazy and it probably slippped her mind.

I totally agree with you guys. It was definitely her stone by all accounts, and I didn't sale it for money or anything. I was just trying to declutter my pantry (my house here in Japan is really small). I'll chalk this up as a lesson learned. :)

Oh well.... I think I am now going to end up with two 12 cup muffin pans!! I ended up actually calling the gal that won it at my party (she's a friend of mine), and I asked her if she would rather trade it in on something else. I know she's not a huge fan of the stoneware, and I seriously doubted whether she had even opened it. ANd, I was right. It's on her counter, never touched. And, she was so excited when I told her she could exchange it for another item.

Plus, my hospitality director just called, and she thinks that she has one, too.

So, now I'm going to have an extra one. :)

I would tell your hospitality director that you received the other stone back and no longer need hers. I do not think she would have a problem with that or at least I do not see any reason why she should.

jrstephens said:
I would tell your hospitality director that you received the other stone back and no longer need hers. I do not think she would have a problem with that or at least I do not see any reason why she should.

Yeah, I agree. Don't buy one if your friend is going to give it back!

Next time, don't give it away until you leave a clear message. "I haven't heard from you, so I'm assuming you don't want this muffin pan. If you do want the pan, please call me by this weekend or I'll be cleaning out my pantry to save space. Thanks."

1. What should I do if a customer is waiting too long for their order?

In this situation, it's important to apologize to the customer for the delay and offer a solution. One option is to offer a complimentary drink or appetizer while they wait. You can also keep them updated on the status of their order and provide an estimated time for when it will be ready.

2. How can I prevent customers from waiting too long in the future?

To avoid long wait times, it's important to have efficient systems in place for taking and fulfilling orders. Make sure your staff is properly trained and have enough manpower to handle busy periods. Additionally, regularly check on the status of orders to ensure they are being prepared in a timely manner.

3. What if the delay is due to something out of my control?

If there is a delay due to unforeseen circumstances, such as a power outage or an unexpected rush of customers, be transparent with the customer. Apologize for the inconvenience and offer a solution, such as a discount or a free item. Communication is key in these situations.

4. How can I make sure the customer still has a positive experience despite the delay?

Aside from offering a solution and keeping the customer updated, it's important to maintain a positive and friendly attitude. Be empathetic and understanding, and do your best to make the customer feel valued and appreciated. This can go a long way in ensuring they have a positive experience, even if there was a delay.

5. Is there anything else I should do after the customer has waited too long?

After the customer has received their order, it's a good idea to follow up with them to ensure they were satisfied with their experience. This shows that you value their feedback and are committed to providing excellent service. You can also use this opportunity to apologize again and offer a discount or a free item for their next visit as a gesture of goodwill.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefsteph07
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • Patty Davis
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Becca_in_MD
  • esavvymom