• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What is Catsup? Answering the Age-Old Question

In summary, ketchup is a tomato-based condiment commonly used on hamburgers and hot dogs. It is also known as catsup and the Heinz brand is the most popular. In the UK, butter is typically sold in blocks rather than sticks and one stick of butter is equal to 1/4 pound or 8 tablespoons. There are various types of tomato-based sauces, including tomato paste, tomato sauce, and tomato sauce used in Italian cooking. Barbeque sauce is another type of sauce to consider. In Germany, ketchup with curry is available but not in the US. Some people are ketchup enthusiasts and put it on everything, even chicken
babyicebean
Whats catsup?

Ketchup, you know Heinz brand? red, tomato, ... you put on hamburgers, hot dogs

Oh.....wondered but wasn't sure.

Can you buy the butter in sticks?How heavy is a stick?

Don't sell things like that in the uk - butter yes but in blocks

1 stick = 1/4 lb or 8 tablespoons

Hope that helps

Catsup is Tomato Sauce - you know the red stuff on chips? (instead of vinegar) - hope that helps -

(dh is from Ireland - thats how I know!)

If you find that you're really behind in a race, you can run a lot faster and when you start to gain on the leader, you ketchup.

Oh KG!!!! LOL!! Give 'em a break, they are new here!!!

Might as well break 'em in right away. :DOkay, when you go to the grocery store, you're gonna be faced with a whole lot of choices.Tomato catsup (or ketchup, pronounced the same in most regions of the country) is a condiment. You apply it to hamburgers and such, some people like it on french fries or other types of potatoes. Purists shudder when you put it on hot dogs but it's a free country, put it on what you like. My father put it on eggs.Tomato paste is made from tomatoes, the seeds and skin have been removed and it is very thick. It's used to thicken tomato sauces and other dishes as the recipe calls for.Tomato sauce is a tomato puree, typically used in cooking according to recipes but it's not to be confused with...Tomato sauce, usually mixed with spices and used in Italian cooking over pasta, pizza, and the like.Then there's barbeque sauce, and that's another whole topic.

Oh, one more thing...if your a ketchup enthusiast, you're going to like Heinz about the best. Hunt's is acceptable in a pinch. Store brands are generics and are...awful.In Germany, they sell ketchup with curry in it, that you can't get here. :(

Had no idea you were a KETCHUP enthusiast, KG. What do you eat it on?

I ask because I have a friend who eats it on everyhting. Literally, everything. His mother made him homemade chicken n' dumplins when he had the flu a few years back and he put ketchup in it! :eek::yuck::cry::confused:

ragschef said:
Had no idea you were a KETCHUP enthusiast, KG. What do you eat it on?

I ask because I have a friend who eats it on everyhting. Literally, everything. His mother made him homemade chicken n' dumplins when he had the flu a few years back and he put ketchup in it! :eek::yuck::cry::confused:

My brother was like this when he was a kid. Wouldn't eat anything UNLESS it was drenched in ketchup!! I like to think he's matured a bit since then, but he still does dip his roast beef in ketchup!

I eat fries so I can have ketchup. I do not like any kind except Heinz. My dad also puts ketchup on his eggs. He puts Heinz 57 on his spaghetti. Yuck!

vwpamperedchef said:
My brother was like this when he was a kid. Wouldn't eat anything UNLESS it was drenched in ketchup!! I like to think he's matured a bit since then, but he still does dip his roast beef in ketchup!

Sorry to hijack but I have to have ketchup on my roast beef! Makes it so much better.

[shudder] Ketchup on roast beef? [/shudder]That's why they invented Worchestershire Suace. (Can anyone explain to me how "Worchester" comes out "Wooster"?)ETA: Yeah, I know. Purists will say it's "Worcester" but both spellings seem to be acceptable these days.)And also ETA, Lea & Perrins is the best Worcestershire Sauce.
bottlelarge.jpg

babyicebean said:
Oh.....wondered but wasn't sure.

Can you buy the butter in sticks?How heavy is a stick?

Don't sell things like that in the uk - butter yes but in blocks

Yes, butter comes in sticks, 4 in a pound. You can still find it in one pound blocks in some places but it's getting rare.

I don't eat ketchup. It's mayo or Ranch on anything and everything. That's my dippers. I especially LOVE to dip my FRIES IN MAYO! I also like to dip my fries in the Vanilla Frosty from Wendys. Now that's a true sweet potato!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Yes, butter comes in sticks, 4 in a pound. You can still find it in one pound blocks in some places but it's getting rare.

Costco carries the 1 lb. blocks. ;)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
[shudder] Ketchup on roast beef? [/shudder]

That's why they invented Worchestershire Suace.

(Can anyone explain to me how "Worchester" comes out "Wooster"?)

ETA: Yeah, I know. Purists will say it's "Worcester" but both spellings seem to be acceptable these days.)

And also ETA, Lea & Perrins is the best Worcestershire Sauce.

bottlelarge.jpg

He He - isn't it SAUCE not SUACE??? LOL!!!

And FYI - in Ireland they call Catsup (ketchup) Tomato sauce, Chips are french fries (Unless you get them at a McDonalds then they are fries) the bin is garbage pail, etc - the list is endless -

So to answer the original question - when the poster goes to the market for "messages" they will want tomato sauce (ketchup) for the recipe..

KG's been hitting the sauce today. http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb315/chefann1138/smilies/slider_winesmiley.gif http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb315/chefann1138/smilies/oregonian_beersmiley1.gif http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb315/chefann1138/smilies/oregonian_martini.gif :D

chefann said:
Costco carries the 1 lb. blocks. ;)
Sams carries the one pound blocks of butter, too.

I heard recently that in the U.S. our labels say TOMATO ketchup because in other places in the world there is a huge variety of types/flavors.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

ETA: Yeah, I know. Purists will say it's "Worcester" but both spellings seem to be acceptable these days.)

Umm, my 2 cents... As a Brit, both spellings are NOT acceptable!! Worcester is a town, the county town of the county Worcestershire (Like York and Yorkshire). Don't ask me why it is pronounced Wooster, it probably happened hundreds of years ago, and I have no idea... it is an odd one...

But KG, your descriptions of the various tomato-y products should be helpful to her. In England there is no equivalent to the Tomato sauce you get over here. We have ketchup (called ketchup as well as tomato sauce!), tomato puree, and canned (tinned) tomatoes, but that's it. It took me a while to figure out what tomato sauce was! I thought it must be just a thinner version of tomato puree... Didn't realise for ages that it was seasoned!!

In the UK, Butter is sold in 1/2 pound blocks that are about the same size as 2 sticks next to each other. A Brit will have no concept as to what a "stick" of butter is!

Oh, and flour in baking is almost always SR - short for Self Raising Flour (of course over here that would be self rising!). We hardly ever use baking soda, mostly baking powder if necessary (which isn't often, because of the SR flour...). It's funny how different it is... Coming over here I had to get used to recipes made with "All purpose" flour (we call it plain flour) as well as using cups for everything...

Recipes are always made by weight, in ounces, eg for a Victoria Sponge cake, take 4oz each of SR flour, sugar, butter and 4 eggs. Nice and easy. And hardly anyone uses cake mixes!

I'm always really curious as to what the PC recipes are like in the UK!! Our ones are VERY American! (or maybe I should say North American :)).

Last edited:
PamperedDor said:
And FYI - in Ireland they call Catsup (ketchup) Tomato sauce, Chips are french fries (Unless you get them at a McDonalds then they are fries) the bin is garbage pail, etc - the list is endless - So to answer the original question - when the poster goes to the market for "messages" they will want tomato sauce (ketchup) for the recipe..
We're two countries separated by a common language.If a recipe calls for "tomato sauce," look for canned tomato sauce. Ketchup is something different, it is a condiment and is meant to spread. It contains spices and other ingredients (like vinegar) that you probably don't want in your recipe.Click on the image for more info.
http://www.contadina.com/Products.htmThe http://www.contadina.com/Products.htm tells you all about their tomato based products.

cookingwith_tara said:
I don't eat ketchup. It's mayo or Ranch on anything and everything. That's my dippers. I especially LOVE to dip my FRIES IN MAYO! I also like to dip my fries in the Vanilla Frosty from Wendys. Now that's a true sweet potato!
I'm with you Tara,
Mayo or Ranch dressing is the only way to go!!

The ONLY time I will eat ketchup is on onion rings....but not fries...mayo is the best!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Oh, one more thing...if your a ketchup enthusiast, you're going to like Heinz about the best. Hunt's is acceptable in a pinch. Store brands are generics and are...awful.

In Germany, they sell ketchup with curry in it, that you can't get here. :(

Heinz is the best!

Out in Utah (where I went to college), they sell butter in cubes, not sticks. That took some getting used to. (It wouldn't fit right on butter dishes, because they were wider and shorter.) Out there is where I learned about fry sauce. Now that's the best! It's like ketchup and mayo mixed together. McDonald's out there even had manufactured little packets of it that you could get. They don't have them anymore though. But many hamburger joints have containers of fry sauce that you can pump into little cups and use to dip your fries. Here in PA, some places serve vinegar to put on your fries.

AnnieBee said:
Recipes are always made by weight, in ounces, eg for a Victoria Sponge cake, take 4oz each of SR flour, sugar, butter and 4 eggs. Nice and easy. And hardly anyone uses cake mixes!

I'm always really curious as to what the PC recipes are like in the UK!! Our ones are VERY American! (or maybe I should say North American :)).

Using weight, especially for flour, is more exact than a volume measurement. Flour has a tendency to compress when scooped, resulting in over-measurement. And that can cause lots of problems in baking.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Blah, blah, blah!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Fareway still sells both, that is usually where we get our butter, it's cheaper and better than anything else out there.

Kinda like mayo on french fries.What's that sound I hear? Oh, that's Tara's and Deb's arteries slamming shut.

Ok thank you all.

The recpies are fairly similar I just think they have been translated ingredient wise.Although the Lava cake sounds interesting, which if my youngest had he would probably have ketchup/catsup with it.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
We're two countries separated by a common language.

Gotta love the Brits. Why use three letters when five will do? Not to mention, truth in signage and calling a modern design bridge exactly what it is! (I like this one so much, I'm going to put it in the Bridge thread, too!)

Major plans for historic Essex bridge
Link: http://www.dunmow-broadcast.co.uk/content/dunmow/news/story.aspx?brand=SAFOnline&category=NewsDunmow&tBrand=HertsCambsOnline&tCategory=newslatestDUN&itemid=WEED09%20Oct%202008%2016%3A04%3A51%3A737

FEARS are rife that a historic bridge in need of repair could be replaced with what has been described as a "concrete monstrosity".

http://www.dunmow-broadcast.co.uk/herts24/assets/images/dynamicFeedCambs/WHHAED018229102008.P02.jpg

Essex County Council (ECC) has approved plans to rebuild Thaxted's Folly Mill Bridge to enable it to carry lorries of up to 40 tonnes in weight.

Chairman of Thaxted Parish Council John Freeman said: "I understand that the bridge needs to be repaired so that it can be used by larger vehicles. At the moment refuse lorries have to stop and turn around instead of crossing it, which can be damaging to the verges.

"A bridge with a limit of 20 tonnes would be sufficient. We are concerned that building a bridge with a 40-tonne limit will encourage large lorries to start using the narrow lane."

The 1940s-built Folly Mill Bridge is on a country lane off the B184 Dunmow to Thaxted road and currently has a three-tonne limit because of a structural fault.

The bridge is 8ft wide, but the reconstruction will see it widened to 13ft.

To make space for the larger bridge, a garden wall at Folly Mill, a Grade II Listed 17th century building, will be partially demolished.

A spokesman for ECC said: "This bridge is being strengthened for safety reasons as it is currently in a deteriorating condition. We appreciate this is rural road and we are not intending to encourage any more heavy vehicles than strictly necessary, such as fire engines and farm vehicles, to use it.

"To this effect we are considering possible environmental restrictions, such as a width restriction, for Folly Mill Bridge and we will be consulting with the local community fully on this. Any such restriction would have to take into account the potential need for use by fire engines, refuse lorries, delivery lorries, farm vehicles and other vehicles which could be considered to have a need to use the bridge."

The bridge originally had a weight limit of 17 tonnes, but this was reduced about three years ago when the damage became apparent.

The new structure with a 40-tonne limit will bring it inline with national guidelines.

If you think using 5 letters instead of three is fun - go to wales

http://www.llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.com/

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

bottlelarge.jpg

Depends if you live in Worcestershire, same as Bicester,Alcester and Cirencester.

You say tomayto we say tomahtoe

[singing]
rainnote.gif

Tamayto, tomahtoe,
Potaytoe, Pahtahtoe,
Let's call the whole thing off.
rainnote.gif
[/singing]:sing:

I would join in with the :sing: but I would clear the board.I got removed from the school choir.:cry:

You are all fab and have made me smile for the first time today.

I agree. Heinz is the only good catsup/ketchup. I only put catsup on hot dogs. I do not like it on anything else - well, if I buy a burger out I let them leave it on and that's okay but if I make a burger at home it gets mayo.

When I was in Holland they had the best sauce served with fries - I need to look that up. I know it had mayo... and something else. :confused: YUM!:love:

babywings76 said:
Out in Utah (where I went to college), they sell butter in cubes, not sticks. That took some getting used to. (It wouldn't fit right on butter dishes, because they were wider and shorter.) Out there is where I learned about fry sauce. Now that's the best! It's like ketchup and mayo mixed together. McDonald's out there even had manufactured little packets of it that you could get. They don't have them anymore though. But many hamburger joints have containers of fry sauce that you can pump into little cups and use to dip your fries.

Here in PA, some places serve vinegar to put on your fries.

I have lived in UT almost my whole life Iand I have only bought butter in sticks. I buy it the same way here in NV. Now fry sauce I love. If you mix it with ketchup, mayo and a little oickle juice it tastes even better. I think that is how McDonalds made it. I now Hardees did it that way

Jennie4PC said:
I have lived in UT almost my whole life Iand I have only bought butter in sticks. I buy it the same way here in NV. Now fry sauce I love. If you mix it with ketchup, mayo and a little oickle juice it tastes even better. I think that is how McDonalds made it. I now Hardees did it that way
Oickle juice?

Must be a Utah delicacy.

Hehehehehehehehehehehe

And then you get recpies that call for a knob of butter.

I lived in UT for a short while too. My roommates used to cook with "cubes" of butter- but they were sticks. They just called them cubes. And I LOOOOVE fry sauce. I heard that it's mayo, ketchup, and buttermilk. YUMMY

Yakmama said:
I lived in UT for a short while too. My roommates used to cook with "cubes" of butter- but they were sticks. They just called them cubes. And I LOOOOVE fry sauce. I heard that it's mayo, ketchup, and buttermilk. YUMMY

All the recipes from my UT family and friends are written as "a cube of butter". They are slightly shorter and fatter than sticks though. They thought I was odd when I would ask for a "stick" of butter sometimes. :)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Oickle juice?

Must be a Utah delicacy.

Hehehehehehehehehehehe

I must say that this thread is a hoot!! Thanks for the laughs!!!
Trina

babyicebean said:
And then you get recpies that call for a knob of butter.

At least they don't ask for a knob to wash the dishes when you're done.

Oh, and when you go to the store/grocery store/grocer/supermarket/market (what you call it depends where you live) you're going to push a cart, not a trolley.

What is oickle sauce?

Now if I was to push a cart here I would need a horse as they put horses in the shafts of a cart.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

we have a city here in MA named Worcester also,but of course it's pronounced
"WIS-TA" ;)

babyicebean said:
What is oickle sauce?

It is ment to say pickle juice. I was obviously having problems typing. :rolleyes: Sorry to confuse you.

<h2>1. What is catsup?</h2><p>Catsup, also known as ketchup, is a condiment typically made from tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, and various spices. It is often used as a topping for foods such as burgers, hot dogs, and fries.</p><h2>2. Is catsup the same as ketchup?</h2><p>Yes, catsup and ketchup are essentially the same condiment. The spelling and pronunciation vary in different regions, but they both refer to the same sauce made from tomatoes.</p><h2>3. How is catsup made?</h2><p>Catsup is made by cooking tomatoes with vinegar, sugar, salt, and spices until it thickens into a smooth sauce. Some manufacturers also add additional ingredients such as onion, garlic, and celery for added flavor.</p><h2>4. Is catsup healthy?</h2><p>Catsup, like most condiments, should be consumed in moderation. It is a good source of lycopene, a powerful antioxidant found in tomatoes. However, it also contains added sugar and sodium, so it is important to use it sparingly.</p><h2>5. How should catsup be stored?</h2><p>Catsup should be stored in the refrigerator after opening to maintain its quality and prevent spoilage. It is best to use it within a few months for optimal freshness, but it can last up to one year if unopened and stored in a cool, dry place.</p>

Related to What is Catsup? Answering the Age-Old Question

1. What is catsup?

Catsup, also known as ketchup, is a condiment typically made from tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, and various spices. It is often used as a topping for foods such as burgers, hot dogs, and fries.

2. Is catsup the same as ketchup?

Yes, catsup and ketchup are essentially the same condiment. The spelling and pronunciation vary in different regions, but they both refer to the same sauce made from tomatoes.

3. How is catsup made?

Catsup is made by cooking tomatoes with vinegar, sugar, salt, and spices until it thickens into a smooth sauce. Some manufacturers also add additional ingredients such as onion, garlic, and celery for added flavor.

4. Is catsup healthy?

Catsup, like most condiments, should be consumed in moderation. It is a good source of lycopene, a powerful antioxidant found in tomatoes. However, it also contains added sugar and sodium, so it is important to use it sparingly.

5. How should catsup be stored?

Catsup should be stored in the refrigerator after opening to maintain its quality and prevent spoilage. It is best to use it within a few months for optimal freshness, but it can last up to one year if unopened and stored in a cool, dry place.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pamperedlinda
  • susanr613
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • scottcooks