• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Trick or Treat Age Limit: How Old is Too Old?

In summary, according to the speaker, the age for trick or treating should be between 10 and 12 years old. After that, it's too old.
chefsteph07
How old is too old to trick or treat, in your opinion?

Where we live the age is under 13. I think that is fine. After that is too old.

I just wondered because my stepson is going to be w/ us for Halloween and he's 12 and in middle school..I've been debating when to kind of cut him off..he's taller than me, over 5' and looks older than he is. I told him he got a reprieve because he can go out w/ my 4 yr old for another year or two, but I just didn't know about dressing him up or whatnot.

I agree. My DD is 13 (will be 14 in Jan) and I'm not allowing her this year. Last year was her last.

I stopped by choice at 10. I know most of my classmates went out WELL into middle school, or even high school. Ugh.

I think 10 should be the max.

I think through middle school is fine - heck they are only young once! My oldest is in
8th grade and is still deciding whether he'll go with his younger brother and sister (11 and 7) - my kids go with me and the neighbors and then go back out with their dad when he gets home later (to different streets). They have fun - we don't get a ton of trick or treaters on our street so it's nice to get them no matter what their age (although high schoolers are too old - IMO)

I think as long as they are in costume, it's fine. I give out candy to anyone in a costume. If they are teenagers in jeans and t-shirts carrying pillowcases, they get nothing from me. It's a fun holiday, and if you want candy, dress up and have fun! Who cares how old you are?

cathyskitchen said:
I think as long as they are in costume, it's fine. I give out candy to anyone in a costume. If they are teenagers in jeans and t-shirts carrying pillowcases, they get nothing from me. It's a fun holiday, and if you want candy, dress up and have fun! Who cares how old you are?

I agree! As long as they made an effort to dress up - I give them candy. In our neighborhood there are several older kids that really make a nice effort dressing up. It's all in the spirit of fun!

Last edited:
cathyskitchen said:

I agree with you Cathy. I don't think an age should be attached to it. I've given candy to adults that are dressed up since they gave their effort to dress up.

Personally, I think 6th grade and under....some of those middle school kids are like adult size!

The onle that GRIPE MY BUTT are the moms who push the babies in the stroller! Give me a break...sorry for being Negative Nellie hear, but REALLY?

My house in my neighborhood is known for the "lady who gives out FULL SIZE candy bars." I started to get LINES out to the street...got smart last year...If I don't know you (aka if you're not a neighborhood kid I know), no full size for you...

or maybe 103.

No, really 102. It just made me put in 7 more characters.

Kitchen2u said:
Personally, I think 6th grade and under....some of those middle school kids are like adult size!

The onle that GRIPE MY BUTT are the moms who push the babies in the stroller! Give me a break...sorry for being Negative Nellie hear, but REALLY?

My house in my neighborhood is known for the "lady who gives out FULL SIZE candy bars." I started to get LINES out to the street...got smart last year...If I don't know you (aka if you're not a neighborhood kid I know), no full size for you...

UH OH, I"m one of those...took my daughter when she was 10 months...she was a pumkin and oh so cute. Sorry to gripe your butt ginny! LOL

cathyskitchen said:

I'm not soooo picky about age. But it does seem that we gets A LOT of high school kids who don't dress up -- or put on a bit of that eye black stuff from football & a cap & ring my bell.

As long as they are in costume & DON'T ring my doorbell once I've turned off my porch lights, I'll happily give them candy. But it REALLY bugs me when they ring at 9 pm, waking up my kids who have school the next day. grrrr.

On to a positive note, though, I do love to see the wee ones in their costumes. I'm not really a fan of halloween but I do like to see ladybugs, cows and princesses at my door :)

No costume, No candy... thats the deal over here...

I wish the middle schools and the HS did a Halloween dance for the kids. This way they can still dress up & have fun. There is a point when its over for the teen trick-or-treaters.

Kitchen2u said:

hehehe... i'm one of those moms. i only did it down 1 block with a friend. after about 10 houses(more than enough candy for my 18 month old) i stopped. this year he will be old enough to walk himself but i will still have the stroller for my 5 week old!

as for age, i stopped in jr high. went to parties dressed up instead. my parents figured when i wanted to go to a friend's "party" instead of trick or treating i had out grown it. from then on they just bought me a big bag of candy and saved on the expense of a costume... i think he is right around that age if he wants to dress up for it let him trick or treat, if not, well he is outa luck... don't know if that was helpful...

cathyskitchen said:

I agree, too!

As long as he wants to dress up and have fun with it, it's all in good fun. Especially if there's a younger one to go with.

I don't care the age that comes to my door for candy, as long as you're sincere and having fun. High school kids driving up the street with one friend out walking with a plastic sack don't get candy from me. :O) And I love seeing the little ones all dressed up, so I don't mind giving candy to parents. At my house we love Halloween and so long as you're in the spirit, everything's cool. I can't wait this time, though ~ it will be our DD's first and she will be 10 months old. That reminds me, I have a costume to make ~ LOL.

I don't mind if the little ones in the stroller are dressed up and the parents are pushing them while taking the older ones out it's when they say cazn I have some for my 5 month old? Ummmm.... NO! a 5 month old does not need candy or you know it's just for you anyway! I mean really people!

I did dress up my 9month old and had him in the stroller when we took the 4 year old out (a few years ago). We all had a blast! Big sis did share a lollipop with him.

My 9 year old son has said that he doesn't want to go this year. Of course we live out in the country and drive across 2 counties to make all the "command" appearances!! Maybe we'll have a party or something this year instead.

Laura420 said:

Nineteen years ago, for our first Halloween in our first home I hand printed the words "No costume, no candy" on a piece of orange paper. I hang that up at our house every year.

My husband and I sit out on our porch in our lawn chairs (usually under many layers of clothing -- this is Michigan) and hand out candy. If a costume is questionable (with the older kids) we ask them what they are dressed up as. . .some of them are stumped.

We don't get many trick-or-treaters where we live (under 50) so we hand out full-sized Snickers. :)

chefsteph07 said:
UH OH, I"m one of those...took my daughter when she was 10 months...she was a pumkin and oh so cute. Sorry to gripe your butt ginny! LOL

LOL:D:D:D Steph...I don't mind them strolling them around...but to come up to get candy for someone who doesn't even have teeth yet? :eek: They ARE cuties! :love::love: But it's the candy thing...this year I'm thinking have having a little toy for those little tikes...something THEY can enjoy instead of their parents...

Kitchen2u said:
LOL:D:D:D Steph...I don't mind them strolling them around...but to come up to get candy for someone who doesn't even have teeth yet? :eek: They ARE cuties! :love::love: But it's the candy thing...this year I'm thinking have having a little toy for those little tikes...something THEY can enjoy instead of their parents...

GREAT idea Ginny!

Laura420 said:

I wish the middle schools and the HS did a Halloween dance for the kids. This way they can still dress up & have fun. There is a point when its over for the teen trick-or-treaters.

TOTALLY agree with the no costume, no candy rule...

I agree with you on middle/hs dance too ~ at least it would give them a fun place to dress up and have some fun. I see you think in the lines of me when it comes to older kids...

etteluap70PC said:
GREAT idea Ginny!

But what Paulette is the REAL question...

We typically get about 200 trick or treaters...about 50 have no teeth (not talking about the grandparents here either...the ones being pushed in the strollers, not wheelchairs!)

Last edited:
I think when they start dressing like tramps, they are too old! We have some older girls around here who look like they are going to the bar after trick-or-treat! Last year DH told a girl that he wouldn't give her candy b/c her butt cheeks were hanging out!:eek::eek::eek:

As long as they dress up approprietly (we really need spell check!;)) and behave, not spoiling it for the little kids, it is fine.

Kitchen2u said:

Oh well, you know, my husband wanted the candy for himself that year! LOL

chefsteph07 said:
Oh well, you know, my husband wanted the candy for himself that year! LOL

And YOU had to do the pushing? :eek: LOL JK

Kitchen2u said:
But what Paulette is the REAL question...

We typically get about 200 trick or treaters...about 50 have no teeth (not talking about the grandparents here either...the ones being pushed in the strollers, not wheelchairs!)

hmmmm... you knw even some animal cookies would be OK for the younger ones.

I wish cherios would do up mini bags for halloween! That would be great!

chefsteph07 said:
How old is too old to trick or treat, in your opinion?

Dead.
LOL

etteluap70PC said:
hmmmm... you knw even some animal cookies would be OK for the younger ones.

I wish cherios would do up mini bags for halloween! That would be great!

Thanks for the thought! I'm going over to the Campbell Soup Store (I have access since my father retired from there) and get the teeny tiny baby gold fish in the mini bags! I think they cost me list 5 or 10 cents each! I knew I could count on you Paulette!!!

buckeyefan08 said:
I think when they start dressing like tramps, they are too old! We have some older girls around here who look like they are going to the bar after trick-or-treat! Last year DH told a girl that he wouldn't give her candy b/c her butt cheeks were hanging out!:eek::eek::eek:

As long as they dress up approprietly (we really need spell check!;)) and behave, not spoiling it for the little kids, it is fine.

OMG.... This reminds me... last year at our Early childhood dance (for birth to 6 yr olds) There was this mom derssed SOoooo shanky! She had her face painted like a yucky tiger and was wearing ears and a tail. Her skirt barely covered her touche! I said to one of my mom friends "How much you wanna bet she is headed to the bar later!" Not like I have anything against going out for a few beers but do NOT dress like a tramp at an event for you 4 year old!

kitchen2u said:
thanks For The Thought! I'm Going Over To The Campbell Soup Store (i Have Access Since My Father Retired From There) And Get The Teeny Tiny Baby Gold Fish In The Mini Bags! I Think They Cost Me List 5 Or 10 Cents Each! I Knew I Could Count On You Paulette!!!

Perfect!!!

I agree we live in an area that is great to trick or treat The problem is we get people that even come from other towns , I mean car fulls the street is backed up . One year I counted well over 300 pc of candy . This year a few of us deciided that we are going to have the kids go out from 530 to 630 then its lights out . Then we are going to party at one of the houses.
We are going to pass a letter around to the other neighbors that this is what we are going to do hoping that others will do the same . Maybe if enough people do the same then we won't get swarmed with tons of people of all ages some dressed up some not.

In this tough economy its not fair that we have to buy $100 .00 worth of candy We have about 15-20 familys that are in favor.
Do you think we are being to tough . what do you think ?

I have no problem with adults going to the bar for a halloween party either but I do feel when young girls dress like that it sends the wrong message. I just always hope there isn't a sexual preditor lurking the streets with these girls dressed like that. I always wonder what the parents think or if they even know.

chef131doreen said:
I agree we live in an area that is great to trick or treat The problem is we get people that even come from other towns , I mean car fulls the street is backed up . One year I counted well over 300 pc of candy . This year a few of us deciided that we are going to have the kids go out from 530 to 630 then its lights out . Then we are going to party at one of the houses.
We are going to pass a letter around to the other neighbors that this is what we are going to do hoping that others will do the same . Maybe if enough people do the same then we won't get swarmed with tons of people of all ages some dressed up some not.

In this tough economy its not fair that we have to buy $100 .00 worth of candy We have about 15-20 familys that are in favor.

I don't know, I'm torn on that one, growing up in the country and living in the country now...we head over to my girlfriend's house in a development in the next town over, and my daughter goes w/ them...I guess we would count as one of the ones who come who don't live there, but if we didn't, we wouldn't be able to go, we don't have a "neighborhood"...and there's about 10 houses on my street, all spaced so far apart, no sidewalk, etc. It's country. 'So, while I agree that families shouldn't ABUSE it, maybe they don't have anywhere else to go?

Growing up, Trick or Treat was on Oct 31st from the time we could get home from school and changed until our parents told us to be home. We loved Halloween on Friday nights since we could stay out later!

We moved to PA 13 years ago and Trick-or-Treat isn't always on Halloween :eek: and it is a set time!

Trick-or-Treat date would vary from township to township and I would always have to ask "When is Halloween?". I always thought it was weird to have Trick-or-Treat NOT be on Halloween! I always felt that this encouraged more out of neighborhood kids. They could basically Trick-or-Treat 2-3 nights by just going to a different township when each township had their Halloween. We would always see cars dropping off loads of kids.

Lately, it seems most townships around here are starting to stick to the 31st for Trick-or-Treat.

And our Trick-or-Treat is from 6-8 pm only. If I were a kid - I would hate that. But, being an adult, it really does make things easier. It is VERY busy for 2 hrs and then you are done for the night!

I am not sure if other locations do things like this or not.

chef131doreen said:

I TOTALLY AGREE with you on this one!
75% of the kids we get are not in the area. I have special goodie bags for my neighbors' kids.

Steph...Doreen and I have the problem of CAR LOADS (more like VAN fulls!) coming around. Not the occassional "treating with friends" kind of thing. When my kds were younger, we went with my brother and sister in their neighborhood because the cousins wanted to do it together...that's different. One year my DH and I were is total amazement...we counted 21 kids come out of a van! They jumped out ran to the houses, jumped back in and drove down the street. It was like watching "power trick or treating." Most of these "car/van pools" kids don't think they need to say "trick or trick" or "thank you" either! My DH laughs at me because I will not drop it in theie buckets/bags. I will wait for them to say "trick or treat" and HANG ON to the candy until they say "thank you!" Mean ole lady!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE seeing the kids dressed up and handing out candy...especially the little ones (elementary school and younger) It's the BIG & RUDE kids and ADULTS that just kill me! LOL

Just thought...what am I going to do with all that money I spend on Halloween candy that I don't have to buy this year!!! Wahoo!!!

Where we go it is 6-8 as well and that is PLENTY of time

Thanks Ginny You know what I mean. I's not the kids that are from around town we know those kids even if they are from the next neighbrbood its the ones that come from the inner city that we all know don't come from around hear . and yes the VANS are full trunk open kids hanging out parents asking for candy for the ones home sick ( ya right ) that's why we are so fed up with giving out candy to people we don't even know and soooooo much of it . This year it's a friday night so they will be ring the door bell till 10pm

chef131doreen said:
Thanks Ginny You know what I mean. I's not the kids that are from around town we know those kids even if they are from the next neighbrbood its the ones that come from the inner city that we all know don't come from around hear . and yes the VANS are full trunk open kids hanging out parents asking for candy for the ones home sick ( ya right ) that's why we are so fed up with giving out candy to people we don't even know and soooooo much of it . This year it's a friday night so they will be ring the door bell till 10pm

Doreen, do you live on my street? LOL You are describing our situation exactly! I FEEL your frustration girlie!

My kids are still going. They are 13 and 11. Last year was the first year I let my 12 year old go by himself with a couple friends. They really had a lot of fun, and I don't want to be the fun smasher. I say "no" to a lot of things. As long as they are respectful and dress up as something, let them go and have fun. IMO

I just talked with one of my girlfriends..she is letting her 14 yr old dd go this year, she said as long as she doesn't act obnoxious and is respectful she doesn't have a problem w/ her going.

were going to a halloween fundraiser & i am sooo excited!
i love dressing up but im obviously too old to be trick or treating.
the bonus is - the fundraiser is on the 25th. so i still get to be at home on the 31st to see all of the cute kids & their costumes!!

Ginny I wish I did live on your streetin CA cause it's going to get cold here in CT

If you're trying to talk a kid out of it, you might enjoy my story.We live in the middle of nowhere. Well, in all honesty, we're only one mile from the nearest little no-four-way-stop burg. However, we are far enough out that we never get Trick or Treaters. The first two years, when our DS was in first and second grade, Halloween fell on the weekend. The Furry Guy took him into town. The third year I was on my own. The Furry Guy works second shift, so trick or treating fell to me. It was cold and rainy. I asked our DS, "How about instead of trick or treating we do this? I'll buy you a bag of any kind of candy you want. We'll order a pizza, rent a movie, and have our own little party." We sat on the family-room floor and played board games while eating pizza and candy and watching movies.We did that every year until he was in high school. At 16 he turned to me about a week before Halloween and told me what kind of candy he wanted that year. I said he was too old to trick or treat. However, if he was willing to wait until the after-Halloween sales, I'd buy him a bag of candy. He's now 22. I'll be sending him a bag of candy the first week of November.BTW, for those who fill stockings with candy, that's an excellent time to stock up. Much of the candy has spooky stuff on the bag, but the individual fun-size candies are in regular packaging. Just be sure to leave them in the bag so they'll stay fresh and you won't be tempted to snack.http://www.smileyvillage.com/smilies/winking0018.gif

chef131doreen said:
Ginny I wish I did live on your streetin CA cause it's going to get cold here in CT

Yep, still fairly warm here. A few minor rain sprinkles yesterday and today (because I washed the car! LOL) ~ today's suppose to be 76 degrees...a lot cooler than last few weeks...in the 90's.

raebates said:
If you're trying to talk a kid out of it, you might enjoy my story.

We live in the middle of nowhere. Well, in all honesty, we're only one mile from the nearest little no-four-way-stop burg. However, we are far enough out that we never get Trick or Treaters. The first two years, when our DS was in first and second grade, Halloween fell on the weekend. The Furry Guy took him into town. The third year I was on my own. The Furry Guy works second shift, so trick or treating fell to me. It was cold and rainy. I asked our DS, "How about instead of trick or treating we do this? I'll buy you a bag of any kind of candy you want. We'll order a pizza, rent a movie, and have our own little party." We sat on the family-room floor and played board games while eating pizza and candy and watching movies.

We did that every year until he was in high school. At 16 he turned to me about a week before Halloween and told me what kind of candy he wanted that year. I said he was too old to trick or treat. However, if he was willing to wait until the after-Halloween sales, I'd buy him a bag of candy. He's now 22. I'll be sending him a bag of candy the first week of November.

BTW, for those who fill stockings with candy, that's an excellent time to stock up. Much of the candy has spooky stuff on the bag, but the individual fun-size candies are in regular packaging. Just be sure to leave them in the bag so they'll stay fresh and you won't be tempted to snack.http://www.smileyvillage.com/smilies/winking0018.gif

That is an awesome story, and a good alternative maybe for the older kids too!

raebates said:
If you're trying to talk a kid out of it, you might enjoy my story.

We live in the middle of nowhere. Well, in all honesty, we're only one mile from the nearest little no-four-way-stop burg. However, we are far enough out that we never get Trick or Treaters. The first two years, when our DS was in first and second grade, Halloween fell on the weekend. The Furry Guy took him into town. The third year I was on my own. The Furry Guy works second shift, so trick or treating fell to me. It was cold and rainy. I asked our DS, "How about instead of trick or treating we do this? I'll buy you a bag of any kind of candy you want. We'll order a pizza, rent a movie, and have our own little party." We sat on the family-room floor and played board games while eating pizza and candy and watching movies.

We did that every year until he was in high school. At 16 he turned to me about a week before Halloween and told me what kind of candy he wanted that year. I said he was too old to trick or treat. However, if he was willing to wait until the after-Halloween sales, I'd buy him a bag of candy. He's now 22. I'll be sending him a bag of candy the first week of November.

BTW, for those who fill stockings with candy, that's an excellent time to stock up. Much of the candy has spooky stuff on the bag, but the individual fun-size candies are in regular packaging. Just be sure to leave them in the bag so they'll stay fresh and you won't be tempted to snack.http://www.smileyvillage.com/smilies/winking0018.gif

LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEE it Rae! I love family traditions...thanks for sharing!

Thanks Ginny I'll take 76 any time. today way 60 . though one Halloween it was very warm great nght I sat outside in shorts.

<h2>What is the general age limit for trick or treating?</h2><p>There is no specific age limit for trick or treating. Many communities and parents leave it up to personal discretion and individual maturity levels. </p><h2>At what age do children typically stop trick or treating?</h2><p>Most children stop trick or treating around the ages of 12 or 13, as they become more interested in other Halloween activities or may feel too old to participate.</p><h2>Is it okay for teenagers to continue trick or treating?</h2><p>Ultimately, it depends on the individual teenager and their behavior. As long as they are respectful and following the rules of the neighborhood, there is no harm in teenagers trick or treating. </p><h2>Are there any safety concerns for older trick or treaters?</h2><p>As with any age group, safety should always be a top priority. Older trick or treaters should always stay in well-lit areas, travel in groups, and be cautious of potential hazards such as traffic and strangers. </p><h2>What are some alternative activities for older kids who no longer want to trick or treat?</h2><p>There are many fun and festive activities for older kids to participate in on Halloween, such as attending a haunted house, hosting a costume party, or volunteering at a local community event. They can also help younger siblings or neighbors with trick or treating, or stay home and hand out candy to trick or treaters. </p>

What is the general age limit for trick or treating?

There is no specific age limit for trick or treating. Many communities and parents leave it up to personal discretion and individual maturity levels.

At what age do children typically stop trick or treating?

Most children stop trick or treating around the ages of 12 or 13, as they become more interested in other Halloween activities or may feel too old to participate.

Is it okay for teenagers to continue trick or treating?

Ultimately, it depends on the individual teenager and their behavior. As long as they are respectful and following the rules of the neighborhood, there is no harm in teenagers trick or treating.

Are there any safety concerns for older trick or treaters?

As with any age group, safety should always be a top priority. Older trick or treaters should always stay in well-lit areas, travel in groups, and be cautious of potential hazards such as traffic and strangers.

What are some alternative activities for older kids who no longer want to trick or treat?

There are many fun and festive activities for older kids to participate in on Halloween, such as attending a haunted house, hosting a costume party, or volunteering at a local community event. They can also help younger siblings or neighbors with trick or treating, or stay home and hand out candy to trick or treaters.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
heat123
  • Denarella
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • babywings76