• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Age Do Strangers Think I Am?

In summary, the author suggests that if people guess your age more than five years older than your actual age, you may want to take a look at how you're taking care of yourself.
raebates
Staff member
I've been reading You: The Owner's Manual and You: Staying Young by Michael F Roizen, MD, and Mehmet C Oz, MD. They're really interesting. They have a lot of good advice about taking care of yourself so that you live a healthy, vital life until you die suddenly from being hit by a bus. Okay, so that's my take. Basically, the books are about making sure you know how your body works. They also have suggestions for healthy choices so you can have the energy and stamina to do whatever you want to do.

Anyway, one of the assignments is to ask three strangers how old they think I am. The point is that you should look about your actual, chronological age. If they guess more than five years older, you may want to look at how you're taking care of yourself. (My personal opinion? You also ought to have a look at your wardrobe and a talk with your hair stylist.)

Now, I'm not exactly shy, but it took me several days to (1) work up the nerve, (2) compose my question, and (3) prepare myself for offensive answers. So, yesterday I was at Wal-Mart during my lunch hour. I approached three middle-aged women* with:

Excuse me. I'm sorry to bother you, but I have an assignment I've got to complete. I'm looking for an honest answer. I promise not to be offended. I just need to know how old you would guess me to be.​

The answers were 40, 43, and 46. Since I'm 45, I figure that's not too bad. The one who answered 40 told me that she would never have guessed that, and I looked very good. She then asked if I was going to try to sell her cosmetics.

If they asked, I told them my true age. Also, each of them asked what kind of an assignment it was. I told them it was a sort of life-coaching thing, which is how I've been approaching these books.

If you're feeling brave, I'd suggest you try the exercise. I found it interesting. I also found it fun to step outside my comfort zone a bit.

*I chose middle-aged women for several reasons. First, I thought most men would find the question really awkward and embarrassing. I chose middle-aged because I'm middle-aged. If you ask someone much older, they're likely to guess much younger. (Have you seen the 12-year-olds they're letting drive these days? :cool:) If you ask someone much younger, they're likely to guess much older. After all, to many 20-year-olds there's not much difference between 40 and 60. Either way you're waaaaaaay old.

Well, I just did that recently at a show because it was all middle-aged women who didn't know me. They guessed, 25, 26 and 28. Which is about a decade younger than I am. I get that ALL the time! ...and trust me, I do not dress like I am a young teenager...AND I told them I had 2 kids ages 4 and 6 1/2 and my host even helped them by telling them we've worked together for the last 6 years and she knew I had a master's degree already.I don't know if it is necessarily how I take care of myself, I have the gray hairs coming in to help prove my age, but the women on my mom's side of the family are always thought to be younger...

I usually get late 20's until I am asked the ages of my four kids. The minute I say that I have a 15 yo.....they get a lot closer!!LOL!!!

The last time I asked someone that question, they suggested that, perhaps, I had invented dirt.

Neat assignment Rae - I just was visiting my cousin in St. Louis last weekend - we went out to the bars and were carded - I said to the woman - " how flattering to be carded - I'm turning 40 this year" - to which she and another girl replied " well you look nothing close to that - I would have never guessed that - you have great skin - you must have good genes in your family" - let me tell you it made my night! Although most people guess me as younger but it's always nice to hear it out loud!

I LOVE the YOU! books, I have all of the them (though I'm kind of annoyed that I bought You! The owners Manual the first time around and now they are re-releasing it with like 100 more pages of info, grrrrrr). The diet book is really great! It's not so much a "diet" book as it is a guide to change your lifestyle and eat better all the time.

I'm 26 and people usually guess I'm 16 or 18. It has crossed my mind that it's because of my carefree, not so mature behavior at times rather than appearance :blushing:

raebates said:
I've been reading You: The Owner's Manual and You: Staying Young by Michael F Roizen, MD, and Mehmet C Oz, MD. They're really interesting. They have a lot of good advice about taking care of yourself so that you live a healthy, vital life until you die suddenly from being hit by a bus. Okay, so that's my take. Basically, the books are about making sure you know how your body works. They also have suggestions for healthy choices so you can have the energy and stamina to do whatever you want to do.

Anyway, one of the assignments is to ask three strangers how old they think I am. The point is that you should look about your actual, chronological age. If they guess more than five years older, you may want to look at how you're taking care of yourself. (My personal opinion? You also ought to have a look at your wardrobe and a talk with your hair stylist.)

Now, I'm not exactly shy, but it took me several days to (1) work up the nerve, (2) compose my question, and (3) prepare myself for offensive answers. So, yesterday I was at Wal-Mart during my lunch hour. I approached three middle-aged women* with:

Excuse me. I'm sorry to bother you, but I have an assignment I've got to complete. I'm looking for an honest answer. I promise not to be offended. I just need to know how old you would guess me to be.​

The answers were 40, 43, and 46. Since I'm 45, I figure that's not too bad. The one who answered 40 told me that she would never have guessed that, and I looked very good. She then asked if I was going to try to sell her cosmetics.

If they asked, I told them my true age. Also, each of them asked what kind of an assignment it was. I told them it was a sort of life-coaching thing, which is how I've been approaching these books.

If you're feeling brave, I'd suggest you try the exercise. I found it interesting. I also found it fun to step outside my comfort zone a bit.

*I chose middle-aged women for several reasons. First, I thought most men would find the question really awkward and embarrassing. I chose middle-aged because I'm middle-aged. If you ask someone much older, they're likely to guess much younger. (Have you seen the 12-year-olds they're letting drive these days? :cool:) If you ask someone much younger, they're likely to guess much older. After all, to many 20-year-olds there's not much difference between 40 and 60. Either way you're waaaaaaay old.

Wow! Thanks for making me feel old......:rolleyes:

I'm (almost) 43, and I didn't think that was middle-aged until just now!:eek: :D

ChefBeckyD said:
Wow! Thanks for making me feel old......:rolleyes:

I'm (almost) 43, and I didn't think that was middle-aged until just now!:eek: :D
It's middle age for you if you plan to only live to be 86! :)

I too own the YOU! books.

That's all the farther I've gotten. I somehow think that I can absorb all of the books I own by osmosis.

I have no idea how old people think I am, but I'm continuously amazed every year on my birthday when I turn the age I think my mom still is...

JAE said:
It's middle age for you if you plan to only live to be 86! :)
Actually, middle refers to the center third (beginning, middle, end). Since the average life span for women in the US is 83, let's round up to 90 to make the math easier. Dividing 90 into thirds is 30. So birth to 29 is youth, 30 to 59 is middle age, and 60+ is old age.

Well, I believe I will go by my own definition of middle age...which is that it is always 15 years older than my age at the present time!:p

Good Grief - I have a (almost) 4 yr old, I can't be middle-aged!:eek:

I refuse to be middle-aged at only 32! Plus, I only look to be about 22 (have been told). When I talk about my 4 kids at shows & they find out their ages, everyone has to find out my age & if they are all mine, etc...I have always looked young. Great genes!!

My family (mom's side) has very good 'young' genes. I am 46 and people are always guessing me to be in my mid 30's.

What is the "Interesting Assignment"?

The "Interesting Assignment" is a special program offered by Pampered Chef for consultants to earn rewards and recognition for their hard work and dedication.

How can I participate in the "Interesting Assignment"?

To participate in the "Interesting Assignment", you must be a consultant with Pampered Chef and meet the set criteria for the assignment. This may include reaching a certain sales goal, hosting a certain number of parties, or recruiting new team members.

What are the rewards for completing the "Interesting Assignment"?

The rewards for completing the "Interesting Assignment" vary each time it is offered. In the past, rewards have included free products, exclusive training opportunities, and recognition at our annual conference.

Can I participate in the "Interesting Assignment" multiple times?

Yes, you can participate in the "Interesting Assignment" as many times as it is offered as long as you meet the criteria each time. This is a great opportunity to continue growing your business and earning rewards.

Is the "Interesting Assignment" available to consultants in all countries?

No, unfortunately the "Interesting Assignment" is only available to consultants in certain countries where Pampered Chef operates. Please check with your local Pampered Chef office to see if you are eligible to participate.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Crystal Patton
  • tlag1986
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • tlag1986
  • General Chat
Replies