• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal atLeast I Managed to Avoid the Paparazzi

Summary: In summary, the speaker had a successful annual exam and reminds women to make appointments if they haven't had an exam or mammogram in over a year. The speaker also shares a personal story about being photographed during an exam and the importance of early detection for breast cancer. There is also a discussion about the discomfort and necessity of mammograms. Finally, statistics about breast cancer are shared as a reminder to take care of one's health.
raebates
Staff member
I had that annual exam today. They squished me and checked under the hood. Looks like I'm good for another 50,000 miles.

No photographers this time, so I shouldn't be showing up in the newspaper again with no clothes on any time soon.

Reminders:

• If you are a woman and haven't had an exam in over a year, make your appointment.
  • If you're a woman over the age of 40 and haven't had a mammogram in over a year, make your appointment.
  • If you're a man who loves any woman (wife, girlfriend, mom, sister, etc.), remind her that she needs to go every year.

I will now return you to your regular silliness.

I'm only 36, but have a family history of Breast Cancer. This year my doctor gave me an order for a mamogram. I can hardly wait...:(

raebates said:
No photographers this time, so I shouldn't be showing up in the newspaper again with no clothes on any time soon.

Are you serious about this????:eek:

BlessedWifeMommy said:
I'm only 36, but have a family history of Breast Cancer. This year my doctor gave me an order for a mamogram. I can hardly wait...:(

My advice: take a couple of aspirin or another OTC pain reliever.

Don't worry. It's over quickly. I've even had to go for extra-squish a few times. I also find that chatting with my mammographer helps make the time pass more quickly. Then again, that's my answer for just about anything.

pampermejolene said:
Are you serious about this????:eek:

Absolutely. See?

NoClothes.jpg

Before my last appointment the doctor's office called. They were doing an article on the doctor and wondered if they could take a photo him consulting with me to accompany it. I said sure. It wasn't until the (female) photographer walked in with the doctor that I realized I would be wearing the lovely paper gown in the picture. It wasn't until she asked me to sign a release that I realized it was for the local newspaper and not some internal hospital thing. It wasn't until it appeared that I realized that (1) it was an insert in several area newspapers, and (2) the article was about dealing with menopause and peri-menopause.

Lesson learned--ask for details.

OMG, I would have been mortified!

I was a little too shocked to be mortified. With all of the things flying through my brain, the fact that I was completely covered came clearest. Plus, the photographer was wonderful. She told me that she would show me every photo. I could pick the ones I liked, and she would immediately delete all of the others. She said we could even delete them all and start again.Afterward I just found it funny. I've tried to figure out why it was me they called. My conclusion is that they decided I was the perfect person to show that even someone young and attractive could be dealing with those issues. I've never asked if that's the reason; but it's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I said it last year and I'll say it again... Good for you Rae! Actually having people see that may help them make the choice to go to the doctor every year. I hate seeing my normal doctor for just about anything but those exams and of course the eye doctor I will go to every year!

BlessedWifeMommy said:

Also, it depends on when in the month you get your mammo. I like to do mine soon after my AF is done. DO NOT go when you are ovulating! If you time it right, it should be ok. It's not fun....lol.....but tolerable

Mammos are actually also easier to tolerate if you are more endowed than if you have less.

They are also a little tougher when younger because everything is more dense.

I'd actually say if you are over 35 talk to your doctor now and see if your insurance covers it, don't wait until 40. About 1 in 3 women are getting breast cancer and they expect the statistics to increase to 1 in 2.

That means EVERY OTHER WOMEN WILL HAVE BREAST CANCER in their lifetime.

...and if you are one to get it...better to find it when you can take care of it without aggressive treatment. Chemo and radiation are NOT FUN!

Those are scary statistics Janet, but thank you for sharing them. It's an eye-opener!

janetupnorth said:
Mammos are actually also easier to tolerate if you are more endowed than if you have less.

I'd actually say if you are over 35 talk to your doctor now and see if your insurance covers it, don't wait until 40. About 1 in 3 women are getting breast cancer and they expect the statistics to increase to 1 in 2.

...and if you are one to get it...better to find it when you can take care of it without aggressive treatment. Chemo and radiation are NOT FUN!

What! That's crazy! Wow... I think I'm speechless for once.

raebates said:
Absolutely. See?

NoClothes.jpg

haha.. I thought you were kidding!!

I am trying to see how soon I can get in to the Health Dept to do mine. I haven't had a mammo in about 5 years because the Clinic I went to back home had a real jerk of an administrator for about 6 months and she refused to let anyone have mammos except every 2 years unless you had had breast cancer... Also said that paps were unnecessary but every 2-3 years after 40! She was nuts! Thus I did not get a pap 4 years ago. Got one a year later then haven't had one since because "I made too much money" to get the services there! ARGH!

janetupnorth said:

Those are scary statistics!! What's even scarier is that heart disease kills even more women than breast cancer. Maybe when you go to get your mamo you can request blood work for cholesterol and the other things (can't remember them off the top of my head) that need to be checked for a healthy heart.

WLMcCoy said:

me too! haha Atleast they didn't want photo showing people how they do it! :eek:

And lung cancer is the most deadly cancer, not breast cancer. Maybe that's because people like Rae and Janet are so good at telling us to look out for ourselves ....

When I had my uterine cancer scare, I remember telling the ACS officials in my area, "I've been a volunteer with this organization for 3 years. I've heard about breast exams. I've heard about testicular exams and PSA's. But never once did anyone tell me that wonky periods can be a sign of uterine cancer."

I suggested a new advertising campaign, "Know what's up with your body. Period."

Cancer is evil. It's a living, growing, evil thing. Don't forget that men get breast cancer, too. My gyno always asks if I'm doing my self-exams. He reminds me that it's a year between the times we visit. I"m more likely to notice changes. That goes for so many other things as well:Skin checks
Testicular checks
Tiring easily (heart disease, thyroid trouble, diabetes, etc.)
Frequent thirst/urination (diabetes)Some of the changes can be subtle and gradual. Pay close attention to every aspect of your health. You're irreplaceable.

candiejayne said:
OMG, I would have been mortified!

Me too! Wait 'til KG gets ahold of this one............:D

wadesgirl said:
I said it last year and I'll say it again... Good for you Rae! Actually having people see that may help them make the choice to go to the doctor every year. I hate seeing my normal doctor for just about anything but those exams and of course the eye doctor I will go to every year!

I was always really good about my general practitioner. I'm diabetic and understand the need to keep on top of that. I was really bad about the rest of those doctors. I hate going to the dentist. I simply did the eye guy in the mall for my glasses. I avoided the gyno.

My former gyno quit practicing. I put off finding a new one. Three years ago I realized that I hadn't been to one in at least a decade. I decided that one of my changes for that new year was to be sure I faithfully did all of my annual exams. I asked friends and found a good women's clinic.

That first gyno visit led to a complete hysterectomy and removal of one of my ovaries. Seems I had a huge fibroid. If I had been going for my exams, they would have found it while it was still small enough to do a much simpler surgery.

I have a really good dentist who understands my irrational fears.

My eye doctor is keeping track of some scarring on my retina. (They've been there for years, which is why the mall eye guy wasn't a bright choice.) I've decided he's my favorite. He never hurts, and I don't have to weigh in or undress.

Because of what happened with me and with my dear buddy, I'm a real stickler for making those regular visits and advocating for your own health.

WLMcCoy said:

starrmarie said:
me too! haha Atleast they didn't want photo showing people how they do it! :eek:

Would I kid you guys? :rolleyes:

Actually my life is much stranger than anything I could make up.

I enjoyed seeing your picture--much more attractive than your feet in flip-flops!! (I assume those are your feet...)

It's always nice to have a face with a name.

I've had a strange work schedule the last week or two, so I'm fuzzy on the date. Has your buddy's service been held yet?

Thanks, Ann. Yes, those are my feet. My buddy's service was Sunday. It was filled with laughter and tears.

raebates said:
My advice: take a couple of aspirin or another OTC pain reliever.

Don't worry. It's over quickly. I've even had to go for extra-squish a few times. I also find that chatting with my mammographer helps make the time pass more quickly. Then again, that's my answer for just about anything.

Unless, of course, the woman who is holding your mammary gland whilst preparing to shove it in the vice is the girl who sat behind you in Anatomy class in high school.

In that case, it's just awkward silence and averting eye contact.

And an apology "if I don't come over and say hi at the reunion".

And, BTW, you don't look a thing like I thought you did.

Funny how we can form an image of what we think people look like just by their feet :)

I know. I'm much more attractive when you can only see my feet. LOL!Just out of curiosity, how did you picture me? I always describe myself as the short, perky woman with the flippy red hair. Sometimes I add that I'm curvy or fluffy.

janetupnorth said:

I am actually a mammographer~ This is one time in your life that "size really doesn't matter" It doesn't matter if you are barely an A or a DD. The only thing that can make it more difficult is if you are dense or "lumpy/bumpy". This is more common in younger females but can actually be in elderly women especially if they are taking hormone replacement therapy. I am not sure where you got your satistics for breast cancer but it happens in 1 out of 8 women. Mammograms are really no big deal. You should really have a baseline at 35-40 and every year after 40. If you have a primary family member (mother, sister, daughter)that has a history of breast cancer, you should have your first mammogram 10 years to the onset of your relative. Just think a mammogram could save your life and you are not just living for yourself, you have family who needs you around also. If you do have a bad experience, please don't discourage others from having a mammogram. I just found a breast cancer on a 55 year old woman who had had a lump for one year and had never had a mammogram because her best friend told her it was the worst thing she had ever had. I just saw her path report and her breast cancer is at a stage 4 ( the worst stage). So her best friend could have cost her her life. If you are having a mammogram done, make sure the clinic/hospital has digital imaging. This is newer technology that is better at imaging patients with dense breasts!!! Sorry for the lecture, can you tell that I am passionate about my other job?

raebates said:
I know. I'm much more attractive when you can only see my feet. LOL!

Just out of curiosity, how did you picture me? I always describe myself as the short, perky woman with the flippy red hair. Sometimes I add that I'm curvy or fluffy.

Well, that's totally how I pictured you.

But that's not what you looked like in the picture.

Of course, it's black and white, so the hair color isn't exactly obvious.

And you are sitting down, so I guess I can't tell how tall you are or aren't.

And you're wearing an o-so-attractive hospital gown, so I can't really tell you're fluffy or not.

Forget it. You're just like I pictured you :)

cookn' katie said:
I am actually a mammographer~ This is one time in your life that "size really doesn't matter" It doesn't matter if you are barely an A or a DD. The only thing that can make it more difficult is if you are dense or "lumpy/bumpy". This is more common in younger females but can actually be in elderly women especially if they are taking hormone replacement therapy. I am not sure where you got your satistics for breast cancer but it happens in 1 out of 8 women. Mammograms are really no big deal. You should really have a baseline at 35-40 and every year after 40. If you have a primary family member (mother, sister, daughter)that has a history of breast cancer, you should have your first mammogram 10 years to the onset of your relative. Just think a mammogram could save your life and you are not just living for yourself, you have family who needs you around also. If you do have a bad experience, please don't discourage others from having a mammogram. I just found a breast cancer on a 55 year old woman who had had a lump for one year and had never had a mammogram because her best friend told her it was the worst thing she had ever had. I just saw her path report and her breast cancer is at a stage 4 ( the worst stage). So her best friend could have cost her her life. If you are having a mammogram done, make sure the clinic/hospital has digital imaging. This is newer technology that is better at imaging patients with dense breasts!!! Sorry for the lecture, can you tell that I am passionate about my other job?

Since you are in the business, what do you know about breast thermography? I've heard that it is much safer than mamograms but there aren't many places that offer it yet.

Jean DeVries said:

And you're wearing an o-so-attractive hospital gown, so I can't really tell you're fluffy or not.

You crack me up!

Forgot to mention ... we media types need brave people like you.

However ... the fact that it has been used more than once indicates that this is the ad department.

You look as lovely as someone can in that position ...

cookn' katie said:

Satistics can say whatever you want them to say. I alway ask for details regarding the background on satistics. I loved the statistic I ran across doing my Senior High English paper (which was only 5 years ago right? Yeah riiight! LOL):
"A Handgun kills a child every day" This is true IF the year is 1976 AND you consider a child to be 25 years and younger.

Get the whole story before you buy into satistics.

Katie - I think it's wonderful that you are passionate about your other job and thank you for sharing about how our horror stories can infulence other people.

Stampaholic1961 said:
Since you are in the business, what do you know about breast thermography? I've heard that it is much safer than mamograms but there aren't many places that offer it yet.

DON'T DO IT!!!! There is no belief in this by any professional in the Radiology/Mammography world. I have talked with the radiologist that I work for , they laugh at it. Nothing against chiropractors, but they are usually the people who provide them. I have done a few people who have had "positive" thermography scans and had negative mammograms. They end up with alot of testing that they didn't need and alot of stress. If ever in doubt check with the American Cancer Society. They have all the info that you need. If this theromgraphy was so wonderful, would more facilities have it???? That is just my thoughts!

Di_Can_Cook said:
Forgot to mention ... we media types need brave people like you.

However ... the fact that it has been used more than once indicates that this is the ad department.

You look as lovely as someone can in that position ...

Thanks, Di. It appeared in an special-section insert for the hospital that appeared in several area newspapers. There were articles and pictures highlighting several doctors and medical specialties. Of course, I was the only one without clothes on. :rolleyes:

Jean DeVries said:

Actually, I was kind of hoping that you pictured me as a tall, leggy blond. In someone's imagination is the only place those things will ever apply to me. :p

raebates said:
Actually, I was kind of hoping that you pictured me as a tall, leggy blond. In someone's imagination is the only place those things will ever apply to me. :p

Hon, if you were a tall leggy blond we would have to hate you on principal. LOL It's much nicer that you look like a real woman, not an air-brushed twig.

this is my year to do one too, i am 35. btw, next time u are in the paper, hold up your catalog bag, ROFL!!!

PamperedSheep said:
this is my year to do one too, i am 35. btw, next time u are in the paper, hold up your catalog bag, ROFL!!!
My catalog tote was on the floor, but it didn't make it into the picture. Frankly, I'm hoping this is my last sans-clothing picture. As I said, though, my life really is stranger than fiction.

Crystal Patton said:
Hon, if you were a tall leggy blond we would have to hate you on principal. LOL It's much nicer that you look like a real woman, not an air-brushed twig.
It's good to know that it's necessary to actually get to know me in order to hate me. :D I realized not too long ago that I'm obviously taller and thinner in my own mind than I am in reality. That's okay, though. It makes it easier for me to hide in crowds. LOL!

Related to atLeast I Managed to Avoid the Paparazzi

1. What is the recommended frequency for getting a gynecological exam?

The recommended frequency for gynecological exams varies depending on your age and medical history. However, it is generally recommended that women have an exam at least once a year.

2. Do I need to get a mammogram every year?

If you are a woman over the age of 40, it is recommended that you get a mammogram every year. This is important for early detection and prevention of breast cancer.

3. What if I haven't had an exam in over a year?

If you are a woman and haven't had an exam in over a year, it is important to make an appointment as soon as possible. Regular exams are crucial for maintaining good health and catching any potential issues early on.

4. Do men need to get regular exams?

While men do not have the same reproductive organs as women, it is still important for them to get regular check-ups and screenings. This can help catch any potential health problems early on.

5. How can I remind my loved ones to make their appointments?

If you have a loved one who may be due for an exam or screening, it is important to remind them to make their appointment. You can also offer to accompany them to their appointment for support and encouragement.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• krzymomof4
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Get_Pampered
  • Karen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
  • ShelbyMichalek