• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What is Catsup? Answering the Age-Old Question

In summary, ketchup is a tomato-based condiment commonly used on hamburgers and hot dogs. It is also known as catsup and the Heinz brand is the most popular. In the UK, butter is typically sold in blocks rather than sticks and one stick of butter is equal to 1/4 pound or 8 tablespoons. There are various types of tomato-based sauces, including tomato paste, tomato sauce, and tomato sauce used in Italian cooking. Barbeque sauce is another type of sauce to consider. In Germany, ketchup with curry is available but not in the US. Some people are ketchup enthusiasts and put it on everything, even chicken
Back in my college days, I used to get pretty well oikled every weekend.

It's 2 am... I should be in bed (in England), but this thread is hystercal! I am crying with silent laughter!

I'm sorted with all things tomatoey.... but what on earth is frozen cool whip?!?!?!?!?!

Shall I start a new thread or is that asking for trouble?!

Night night!

swinkate said:
It's 2 am... I should be in bed (in England), but this thread is hystercal! I am crying with silent laughter!

I'm sorted with all things tomatoey.... but what on earth is frozen cool whip?!?!?!?!?!

Shall I start a new thread or is that asking for trouble?!

Night night!

You are a brave woman!:D

Cool Whip is a brand name for what is known as "non dairy whipped topping" It's a fake version of whipped, sweetened heavy cream. But we Americans have an affinity for it....you will notice that many of the dessert recipes you see on this site call for it.

I try not to think about what's in it, or how it's made.:yuck:

Better living through chemistry.(That's an old advertising slogan from DuPont Chemical Co.)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Better living through chemistry.

(That's an old advertising slogan from DuPont Chemical Co.)

Especially
if you purchase the fat free/sugar free version!:yuck::yuck::yuck:

Yes, there is curry in ketchup in Germany - among other things. But they put mayo on fries and it's not the same may we have here and it's really, really good!

I think the Cool whip is like that stuff you can get called dream topping.My gran used to use it on everything dessertwise.Have you ever had dream topping and apple pie?

Recently I was talking with a friend about tiramisu. She asked if marscapone is like cream cheese. I told her, "Well, kind of. It's like cream cheese the same way Cool Whip is like whipped cream."She said, "Oh, so not at all."http://www.smileyvillage.com/smilies/happy0009.gifWe like cool whip, but it doesn't compare to real whipped cream.

Like the commercial for ReddiWhip: oil or cream?Cool Whip is a little scary, but there are times when it's the ingredient that works best, especially when one doesn't have time to make stabilized whipped cream (with unflavored gelatin in it).

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Oh, one more thing...if your a ketchup enthusiast, you're going to like Heinz about the best. Hunt's is acceptable in a pinch. Store brands are generics and are...awful.

In Germany, they sell ketchup with curry in it, that you can't get here. :(

I second that! There's absolutely no other k'heinz!! ;)

pcsharon1 said:
Yes, there is curry in ketchup in Germany - among other things. But they put mayo on fries and it's not the same may we have here and it's really, really good!

I LOVE :love: mayo on fries.....yummy!!!

I like mayo on french fries, but only occasionally because I don't want the "arteries slamming shut" as KG so eloquently put it :D

babywings76 said:
Out in Utah (where I went to college), they sell butter in cubes, not sticks. That took some getting used to. (It wouldn't fit right on butter dishes, because they were wider and shorter.) Out there is where I learned about fry sauce. Now that's the best! It's like ketchup and mayo mixed together. McDonald's out there even had manufactured little packets of it that you could get. They don't have them anymore though. But many hamburger joints have containers of fry sauce that you can pump into little cups and use to dip your fries.

Here in PA, some places serve vinegar to put on your fries.

if im having fries i always mix ketchup & mayo together. im obsessed with it. my bf hates it & makes a comment everytime. the sherri's has one that looks like its got some sort of relish mixed in with it. my dad makes his own that is ketchup, mayo & a little tobasco sauce mixed in.

otherwise - i put ketchup on everything too. :love: eggs. grilled cheese. steaks (unless theres a good bbq sauce around ;)).

thecougchef said:
if im having fries i always mix ketchup & mayo together. im obsessed with it. my bf hates it & makes a comment everytime. the sherri's has one that looks like its got some sort of relish mixed in with it. my dad makes his own that is ketchup, mayo & a little tobasco sauce mixed in.

otherwise - i put ketchup on everything too. :love: eggs. grilled cheese. steaks (unless theres a good bbq sauce around ;)).

Grilled cheese???? Not sure about that one! Bet my DD would love it, she puts ketchup on everything too! Gets that from her dad!! LOL

I can't imagine ketchup on grilled cheese. Then again, it took me years to get used to The Furry Guy putting apple butter or strawberry preserves on his.

My favorite kind of ketchup is Delmonte - that is th eonly brand I will buy.

I put pepper in my ketchup when I am eating fries.

To make homemade Thousand Island dressing I mix, ketchup and mayo together and eat it on a salad or dip veggies in it.

I am in awe that a thread about "catsup" is 4 pages long! HA! :)

I'll have to try the pepper in the ketchup thing. I recently discovered Buttery Salt & Cracked Pepper popcorn from Orville Redenbacher. Delicious!

raebates said:
I can't imagine ketchup on grilled cheese. Then again, it took me years to get used to The Furry Guy putting apple butter or strawberry preserves on his.

:yuck:OH.....yuck yuck yuck!

What can I say? He's weird, but he's mine.Our DS does the same thing sometimes.

PChefPEI said:
Grilled cheese???? Not sure about that one! Bet my DD would love it, she puts ketchup on everything too! Gets that from her dad!! LOL

I thought ketchup and grilled cheese was common?? Everyone in my house puts it on that way...and also ketchup in mac and cheese...
My dad makes grilled cheese and puts jelly on his.

BethCooks4U said:
I agree. Heinz is the only good catsup/ketchup. I only put catsup on hot dogs. I do not like it on anything else - well, if I buy a burger out I let them leave it on and that's okay but if I make a burger at home it gets mayo.

When I was in Holland they had the best sauce served with fries - I need to look that up. I know it had mayo... and something else. :confused: YUM!:love:

Ketchup and HOT DOGS??? :eek: Blasphemy! LOL
Don't you know that the ONLY way you are to eat ketchup on a dog is if you are under 18? LOL
Some good stadium mustard is what you need....

I'm, sorry, Steph, but it's wrong to put anything at all on macaroni and cheese. That's bordering on sacrilege. ;)

*I* don't do that, but my dh does..LOL

The only "weird" thing I do is dip my Wendy's fries in chocolate frostys, but I know lots of people who do that.

I do several weird food things. The two that gross people out the most are my occasional mustard sandwich (yellow French's mustard on soft, white sandwich bread) and dipping my Ponderosa rolls in the Ponderosa steak sauce. That last one really freaked out a friend of mine.

Ask someone, when they say ketchup on grilled cheese is awful - if they eat pizza. That's just grilled cheese with sausage and veggies - and fancy tomato ketchup.

Nope. Very different. Different cheese. Different type of bread. Different tomato sauce. Very different. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

I used to live in a town that had a restaurant named Jimmy's Grotto. Jimmy had a "thing" he called a Ponzarotta, or something like that. Phonetically, it was pond-za-rot-ta. It was basically a pizza, folded in half and sealed, like a pasty, then deep fried. We used to call them "gut bombs" and they were oooohhhhh-sooooooo-good. Even better than a grilled cheese sammich with ketchup.

I like tomato and bacon on grilled cheese. mmm...

<h2>1. What is catsup?</h2><p>Catsup, also known as ketchup, is a condiment typically made from tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, and various spices. It is often used as a topping for foods such as burgers, hot dogs, and fries.</p><h2>2. Is catsup the same as ketchup?</h2><p>Yes, catsup and ketchup are essentially the same condiment. The spelling and pronunciation vary in different regions, but they both refer to the same sauce made from tomatoes.</p><h2>3. How is catsup made?</h2><p>Catsup is made by cooking tomatoes with vinegar, sugar, salt, and spices until it thickens into a smooth sauce. Some manufacturers also add additional ingredients such as onion, garlic, and celery for added flavor.</p><h2>4. Is catsup healthy?</h2><p>Catsup, like most condiments, should be consumed in moderation. It is a good source of lycopene, a powerful antioxidant found in tomatoes. However, it also contains added sugar and sodium, so it is important to use it sparingly.</p><h2>5. How should catsup be stored?</h2><p>Catsup should be stored in the refrigerator after opening to maintain its quality and prevent spoilage. It is best to use it within a few months for optimal freshness, but it can last up to one year if unopened and stored in a cool, dry place.</p>

Related to What is Catsup? Answering the Age-Old Question

1. What is catsup?

Catsup, also known as ketchup, is a condiment typically made from tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, and various spices. It is often used as a topping for foods such as burgers, hot dogs, and fries.

2. Is catsup the same as ketchup?

Yes, catsup and ketchup are essentially the same condiment. The spelling and pronunciation vary in different regions, but they both refer to the same sauce made from tomatoes.

3. How is catsup made?

Catsup is made by cooking tomatoes with vinegar, sugar, salt, and spices until it thickens into a smooth sauce. Some manufacturers also add additional ingredients such as onion, garlic, and celery for added flavor.

4. Is catsup healthy?

Catsup, like most condiments, should be consumed in moderation. It is a good source of lycopene, a powerful antioxidant found in tomatoes. However, it also contains added sugar and sodium, so it is important to use it sparingly.

5. How should catsup be stored?

Catsup should be stored in the refrigerator after opening to maintain its quality and prevent spoilage. It is best to use it within a few months for optimal freshness, but it can last up to one year if unopened and stored in a cool, dry place.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pamperedlinda
  • susanr613
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • scottcooks