• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Using a Netbook at Conferences: Pros and Cons to Consider

In summary, there is a discussion about using laptops/netbooks at a conference. Some people have seen others using them to take notes, but most prefer using pen and paper. There is a suggestion to have a designated area for laptop users, but it may be difficult to coordinate. Some people find laptops distracting during classes and general sessions, while others prefer using them for note-taking. Ultimately, it is important to be considerate of those around you and not disturb them with your laptop use.
ChefMary412
Does anyone use their laptop/netbook at conference? I will probably bring it anyways to skype with the family at night, but I am wondering who brings it to take notes during the meetings? I am thinking it might be a good idea.

I've seen a few people with them taking notes but most don't. Personally, I don't need to be carrying anything extra around all day.

There was another thread fairly recently where this was mentioned. I personally think I take better notes by hand, even though I do type faster than I write. But the one thing that was mentioned in the other thread was that it may bother/distract the people around you.

I would love to take my notebook-I also read the previous post and can understand how that could be distracting to someone who isn't typing but writing. I was wondering if maybe- (please no wet noodles, just thinking out loud LOL) what if those whom wanted to use computers sat together? Would that make it easier for those whom were writing? Never been before so just asking? I wouldn't want to disturb another person and didn't know if maybe typers sat on one side of the room so to speak so the writers could be together and undisturbed. Would that work?

smart2cook said:
I would love to take my notebook-I also read the previous post and can understand how that could be distracting to someone who isn't typing but writing. I was wondering if maybe- (please no wet noodles, just thinking out loud LOL) what if those whom wanted to use computers sat together? Would that make it easier for those whom were writing? Never been before so just asking? I wouldn't want to disturb another person and didn't know if maybe typers sat on one side of the room so to speak so the writers could be together and undisturbed. Would that work?

I'm not sure how that would work....it IS distracting, but I don't know how you'd make sure people with laptops were all in one place. Those meeting rooms are large, but I've been in many that ended up being almost standing room only. There aren't tables or anything, just rows of chairs. Plus, people are there, getting the spots they want, and saving seats for others - it's sort of mass confusion until the workshop begins.

Under those circumstances, I can see where it would be very difficult for laptops. I may take my notebook with me but not to the actual Conference itself so that I can work on my notes in my Hotel room as I have time and it is still fresh in my head-I think that might work best for me.

The first year I went to conference I had thought about bringing my laptop with me but didn't, and wished I did. There were a couple of other people who brought theirs and I personally wasn't affected by it. I have brought mine ever since and use the dimmest light possible for the screen and no one said anything to me (unless they're being very gracious). I am a horribly slow writer and miss a lot of notes. I have also been known to take pics of stuff that I want to remember rather than writing down the idea.

As for everyone sitting together, that won't be possible. There will be so many people and really, the only time people will use their laptops for notes is during the classes (the rooms aren't dimmed so the light doesn't matter) and the special Director Speaker.

It is very annoying to be in a class with people typing on their laptops/netbooks/smartphones etc. Pen and paper are awesome!!

I don't love it but can handle it in classes. It is distracting to me but I make sure no to sit by them. People I have seen in classes do try to sit away from others.

I have a BIG problem during general sessions! Last year a gal was playing solitare next to me while Doris was speaking!

:eek:I see... thanks for the input. I really wanted to bring it to type my notes as I hear them, but I can see how it would be annoying for people around me. I wouldn't want to bother the poor soul next to me!! There was someone next to me at the spring launch who repeated everything that she agreed with... out loud! I was getting so annoyed. I can see how it can get frustrating to be near someone like that... I don't want that to be me!:eek:

Me neither! I do think I will just stick to taking it to my room and working on my notes when I have down time in my room and it is fresh or maybe on the plane on the way home! Sometimes my scratch is hard to read but I can figure it out! I don't want to make it frustrating or an annoyance for anyone that is attending.

If you're concerned about catching everything, how about finding something you can use to record sound with? Many smartphones have the capability to record, and I have an MP3 player that can do so as well. I used it in 2007 to record my conference workshops. It doesn't bother anyone else, and you can use it later to go back to fill in your notes.

I'm not a fast enough typist, and my notes are very filled with sketches and arrows, so a comnputer doesn't work for me to take notes, but I really understand why some people whould want to use a laptop or netbook.After reading this, I wonder if I would find it distracting, too...I think I would, but why? is it just the sounds? Or the novelty of the computer...or that electronic screens have a way of compelling our attention.If the person muted their computer (no beeps or any thing) do you think you'd still be distracted?Marghi

etteluap70PC said:
I don't love it but can handle it in classes. It is distracting to me but I make sure no to sit by them. People I have seen in classes do try to sit away from others.

I have a BIG problem during general sessions! Last year a gal was playing solitare next to me while Doris was speaking!

That seems almost sacrilegious! :eek:

BlueMoon said:
I'm not a fast enough typist, and my notes are very filled with sketches and arrows, so a comnputer doesn't work for me to take notes, but I really understand why some people whould want to use a laptop or netbook.

After reading this, I wonder if I would find it distracting, too...I think I would, but why? is it just the sounds? Or the novelty of the computer...or that electronic screens have a way of compelling our attention.

If the person muted their computer (no beeps or any thing) do you think you'd still be distracted?

Marghi

That would be me too! Plus all of the doodles. I need to doodle in order to concentrate!

I agree that I've been distracted by people using their laptops at conference, ESPECIALLY during general sessions - and yes, even with no sound.

I too make drawings, doodles... when taking notes. I think we remember things better when we write them and then go back over them and type up the notes. The trick is to do it before you lose what you meant by what you wrote. That's why I love it when others share their notes - we all remember different things so we learn more that way too.

ChefBeckyD said:
That seems almost sacrilegious! :eek:

It was horrible and I was so distracted and ticked I could not concentrate and enjoy the moment.

I think I would have a problem with someone playing solitare or any other game on a computer sitting next to me while I am trying to listen to Doris speak. That's very sad for that person that they missed some valuable lessons and paid to play solitare.
I think the clicking is probably distracting-even muted we have fingernails and it still happens. I try very hard to treat others the same as I would like to be treated so given that, I really appreciate everyone's sincerity in sharing their experiences-it has definitely left an impression on me not to take my notebook to the actual Conference settings.

Having my netbook on my lap would be difficult to type. I'm just taking the notes pen/paper and typing in the room or on the plane.

etteluap70PC said:

HOLY COW! I can't imagine someone doing that! Rest assured it wasn't me because I don't know how to play solitaire (yes, I'm not an avid card player of any kind) :p
I will refrain from taking my computer to conference this year. I'm sorry to have contributed to the computer aggravation :(
I will be on the lookout for a recorder instead. I already have one, but you have to talk right into it. If anyone knows a good one, pm me!

Chef Kearns said:
It is very annoying to be in a class with people typing on their laptops/netbooks/smartphones etc. Pen and paper are awesome!!
We need an Agree button, like on another forum I frequent. :)

Yes, I know that I could move, but if I had my seat first and the typer sits after me, I'm not giving up my good seat.

NooraK said:
If you're concerned about catching everything, how about finding something you can use to record sound with? Many smartphones have the capability to record, and I have an MP3 player that can do so as well. I used it in 2007 to record my conference workshops. It doesn't bother anyone else, and you can use it later to go back to fill in your notes.
FYI- it's against policy to record any part of HO meetings, including workshops at Conference. That's stated in the meeting policies. Not that people don't do it, but don't let anyone from HO see you doing it, or see you mentioning online that you have done it.

I'll be on the floor over by a wall (better back support, and I can move around!) typing quietly on my laptop. I'm used to meetings with everyone typing so I guess it's a culture thing. If it bothers you, please come tell me and I'll gladly move away to another spot. Know that most conference workshops are recorded - available for sale later at $2 a pop, a great value particularly for sessions you wanted but could not attend!

1. What is a Netbook and why do I need one at conference?

A Netbook is a small, lightweight laptop that is perfect for taking notes, accessing online resources, and staying organized during conference. It is a convenient and portable tool for keeping track of important information and staying connected with the Pampered Chef community.

2. How do I access the conference materials on my Netbook?

To access the conference materials on your Netbook, you will need to connect to the internet either through Wi-Fi or a wired connection. Once connected, you can log in to the conference website and access all the materials and resources available.

3. Can I use my own Netbook or do I have to purchase one from Pampered Chef?

You are welcome to use your own personal Netbook for conference. However, if you do not have one or prefer to purchase one from Pampered Chef, you can do so through the conference registration site at a discounted price.

4. Are there any specific software or requirements for using a Netbook at conference?

There are no specific software or hardware requirements for using a Netbook at conference. However, we recommend having a reliable internet connection and a web browser installed for optimal use of the conference materials and resources.

5. Will there be technical support available for Netbooks at conference?

Yes, there will be technical support available for Netbooks at conference. Our IT team will be on hand to assist with any technical issues or questions you may have regarding your Netbook or accessing the conference materials online.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lakamper
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
JaimeAnnR
  • frozenchef
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
frozenchef
  • ChefCKHall