• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tweaking Brown Sugar Amount in DCB Recipe

In summary, to adjust the brown sugar amount in a Dutch oven cobbler (DCB) recipe, simply use less than the amount called for and taste the filling before adding more. You can substitute brown sugar with a healthier alternative, but may need to adjust the amount and taste as you go. To make a DCB less sweet, you can reduce the amount of brown sugar used, use a combination of brown and white sugar, or add lemon juice or salt. Reducing the brown sugar amount may slightly affect the texture, but you can try adding cornstarch or flour to help thicken the filling. A sugar substitute can also be used, but may require experimentation and following the instructions on the packaging.
donnathepamperedchef
Since I just got my DCB last week I have only made this once and it was good, but I found it a little sweet. Does anyone change the amount of brown sugar they use? Or does anyone use a combination of sweeteners; mix of honey/brownsugar or syrup/brownsugar?

I started using 1 1/2 cups br sugar instead of 2.

I have never made it but it sounds amazing, I love Pineapple Upside Down Cake...

made this at my show last night and wished I had used less br. sugar/butter. Lots of sugar left in the DCB when I turned it out on the platter. I also changed up the recipe and put half of the crushed pineapple on top of the pineapple slices and mixed the other half into the cake batter. Everyone was very impressed with the cake

I agree with those changes.. I made it once, over Memorial Day weekend. I used the 2 cups of butter and brown sugar and 2 cans of pineapple. I also used pineapple cake mix. It was too sweet for me. Next time I plan on 1 cup of brown sugar and 1 can of pineapple and however much butter I need to make it work. I also want to put in toasted walnuts and a few maraschino cherries on the bottom of the baker.

Thanks everyone. I am going to cut down on the sugar and butter for my show but still use the fresh pineapple, just love being able to showcase the wedger and cutlery for preparing the pineapple

1. How do I adjust the brown sugar amount in a Dutch oven cobbler (DCB) recipe?

To adjust the brown sugar amount in a DCB recipe, simply use less than the amount called for in the recipe. Start by reducing the amount by 1/4 cup and taste the filling before adding more. You can always add more if needed, but it's difficult to remove excess sugar once it's been added.

2. Can I substitute brown sugar with a healthier alternative in a DCB recipe?

Yes, you can substitute brown sugar with a healthier alternative such as coconut sugar or honey. Keep in mind that the sweetness and flavor may vary slightly from the original recipe, so you may need to adjust the amount used and taste as you go.

3. How can I make my DCB less sweet?

If you prefer a less sweet DCB, you can reduce the amount of brown sugar used in the filling. You can also try using a combination of half brown sugar and half white sugar for a less intense sweetness. Alternatively, you can also add a squeeze of lemon juice or a pinch of salt to balance out the sweetness.

4. Will reducing the brown sugar amount affect the texture of my DCB?

Reducing the brown sugar amount in a DCB recipe may slightly affect the texture of the filling, as the sugar helps to thicken and caramelize the fruit. However, if you are only reducing the amount by a small portion, the difference should be minimal. You can also try adding a small amount of cornstarch or flour to help thicken the filling.

5. Can I use a sugar substitute in a DCB recipe?

Yes, you can use a sugar substitute such as stevia or Splenda in a DCB recipe. Keep in mind that the sweetness and texture may differ from using regular brown sugar, so you may need to experiment with the amount used and taste as you go. It's also important to follow the instructions on the sugar substitute packaging for proper measurement and conversion.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• SPAMSTIME
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
SPAMSTIME
  • pamperedlinda
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
RoseAndrews
  • Chef Shari