• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Speedy Upside Down Pineapple Cake

In summary, Linda shared a recipe for Speedy Upside Down Pineapple Cake which involves melting butter, brown sugar, two cans of pineapple, a box of yellow cake mix, and eggs. Options include serving with ice cream or cool whip. The recipe was tested using two medium size cans of pineapple tidbits and was found to be moist and delicious. People suggested using fresh pineapple which may affect the acidity, but it still may be worth trying.
My AD made this cake and used coconut milk
instead of water. I am going to try that tonight. Just bought a fresh pineapple. I am going to use one stick of butter, one cup of sugar, fresh pineapple, then mix pineapple in an organic white cake mix with the coconut milk, pineapple mixed in, and the egg. I will let you know how it turns out.

ChefCKHall said:
My AD made this cake and used coconut milk
instead of water. I am going to try that tonight. Just bought a fresh pineapple. I am going to use one stick of butter, one cup of sugar, fresh pineapple, then mix pineapple in an organic white cake mix with the coconut milk, pineapple mixed in, and the egg. I will let you know how it turns out.

This sounds good, too. How did it go?

I made this using fresh pineapple that I showed the pineapple wedger. Then I reserved out about 2 cups of the pineapple for this recipe - and passed the rest around to the crowd. Then use d the pineapple juice (caught in the well of the grooved cutting board) and eggs, etc - made the cake. Left the lid off when it went in the microwave. It came just up and puffed up over the top - but didn't spill over. It cooked 16 minutes. Then I let it set about 10 while I talked - and then I flipped it onto the big white round platter. It was gone 20 minutes later. Amazing. Delicious. Thank-you for sharing and starting this thread - -I know have a favorite dessert and DCB recipe.

byrd1956 said:
This sounds good, too. How did it go?

I did not make it as planned above but did make this (I did not have the organic cake mix I thought I had).
1 stick butter melted
then stirred in one cup of brown sugar
I used the whole fresh pineapple and cut in chunks, then stirred the pineapple in with the brown sugar and butter.

Then, I used the golden butter cake mix with 1 cup pineapple juice (used the juice from the fresh pineapple and added to it, 1/3 cup butter melted, and three eggs.

Nuked it for 16 minutes. My husband flipped it and we put cherries on top.... It looked pretty flipped, juice all over, pineapple on top. Ready to eat!

Next time, I want to try the organic cake mix but it uses a different mixture of eggs, oil and cold milk. Gonna have to mess with it soem BUT

I am going to use coconut oil instead of the butter when I make it with regular golden butter cake mix. I forgot I had coconut oil and think the flavor would be outstanding!

You can put the cherries in at the same time as the pineappple. Still looks beautiful.

OK Have made it twice. It is a hit and I am ready to do at my shows!

1 stick butter - melt in baker
1/2 cup brown sugar - mix in melted butter
1 fresh pineapple chopped into chunks - mix in the butter/sugar mixture

Took an Arrowhead Mills Vanilla Organic cake mix and added two eggs, 1-1/4 cup pineapple juice, and substitued the veg oil for coconut oil.

Poured on top of pineapple mixture - cover DCB and micro'd for 15 minutes.

did not overflow. Wait five minutes and flip onto large platter.

PERFECTION! Problem is, I am now going on vacation for two weeks and then to conference so no shows till July 16 but have plenty of shows between then and August to make them! My new fave - Like it much more than the chocolate cake!

CK

I made the Pina Colada version of this on Friday for my Mystery Host wrap-up (using coconut milk in the cake mix) - very yummy!! I actually preferred this, as it was moister than the regular version (so it was ok without ice cream).

cookingwithdot said:
ok, finally made the cake & YUM!
BUT it oozed all over my microwave!!! Anyone else have this happen? I cooked it with the lid off. It was like hot lava flowing out of it as it cooked. LOL It really filled the DCB, so I was wondering if it would overflow. I followed the recipe as it is written ... what happened? I know all of our DCB are the same size! I think next time I won't use all the batter?? I'm making this for a show on Friday & I'm a little worried about it now! Good news is that it did flip out of the baker beautifully! I used tidbits and rings, so it looked pretty on the top. I flipped it out onto my rectangular stone.

My cakes alway's overflow in the microwave using the DCB or fluted pan. I spoke to my AD and she thinks it's because I don't have a turntable... SOOOO I bought another microwave with a turn-table and i'm trying it tonight.

Does your microwave have a turn-table?

I have had mine overflow only once...I always put the lid on my baker...and Yes you need a turntable...everything cooks better when it turns...

Found this post yesterday, here are my thoughts!

Yesterday I made the recipe according to what I had available in my kitchen, I'm so impatient, have to do it right then. I cooked it oh high, turned out a little dry. Do you really use 2 cups of brown sugar? I thought that was a bit much, plus the butter.

Here is how I made it this morning after going to the store for more ingredients.

1 Yellow Cake Mix with all ingredients for the cake mix, including the oil, not butter.
1 large can of Del Monte Pineapple Tidbits - reserve juice for cake
1/2 Cup of Splenda Brown Sugar - Packed
1 stick of butter - next time, I will use 1/2 stick of butter.

Melt butter in baker - 1 minute. Stir in Splenda Brown Sugar. Microwave 2 minutes. Do not stir, but add Pineapple tidbits over brown sugar mixture. You could actually put about 6 cherries down before putting the pineapple in. Mix the cake mix according to package directions, using eggs, vegetable oil and the juice plus water to make up the difference. Pour on top of the Pineapple. Cook uncovered in the microwave at a power level of 7 for 15 minutes. Remember microwaves vary, use your discretion.

I found that the cake was not as over powering sweet as the first one I made with the 2 cups of Brown Sugar and 2 sticks of butter. I'm making this for my show tonight!!! Thanks for the idea.

I made this last night and the cake didn't overflow - yeah!!! However, i let it sit in the pan for 10 minutes before i turned it over. When I did, the cake plopped out, but the brown sugar glaze and pineapple stayed in the DCB.

Ugh - any suggestions?

I made the recipe the other night at my show with the twist from above. During in the mixing of the cake, I added a can of first pressed coconut milk - it was thick milk. Mixed that with the reserved juice.

The sugar mixture on the bottom, I used the splenda brown sugar, need to go ahead and use about 3/4 of cup plus 1 stick of butter.

We baked it in the micro on a 70% power for 15 minutes. It didn't overflow during cooking. We left it in the micro during the rest of the demo and they just used a spoon to dip it out of the pot. They loved it!!!

I tasted a small bite of the cake after everyone had left, and I couldn't get over how moist it was even after having sat for so long to the end of the evening. YUM!!!

After reading all these posts I just had to take this recipe to an annual art teacher get together. Baked it that morning. Took it hot out of the oven and when dessert was started flipped it out on the bamboo tray. WoW! It was awesome and everyone loved it. There was only a small piece left and I think that was because noone wanted to be the last person to take it. I think it is my new favorite dessert!

how much pineapple juice did you use?

Whatever amount of water the cake mix calls for replace it w/pineapple juice. I actually had a little over the amount called for after draining all the pineapple.

Oh I can not wait to try this. I will adding it to my grocery list and making it Monday! Can't wait.

I just tried this tonight and it is delicious! I'm definitely making this at one of my upcoming shows. For realz....this cake was da bomb. Hahaha. OK...I can try as hard as I want at talking like a teen, but it doesn't make me any younger. It was worth a shot. (-;

Malinda Klein said:
I made this last night and the cake didn't overflow - yeah!!! However, i let it sit in the pan for 10 minutes before i turned it over. When I did, the cake plopped out, but the brown sugar glaze and pineapple stayed in the DCB.

Ugh - any suggestions?

Did you sprinkle the sugar in the pan and then pour the butter over it? If so, maybe try mixing the butter and sugar before pouring into the pan.

If you did mix it first, is your stone seasoned? Maybe try greasing the stone first?

My cakes seem to overflow less/not at all if I use the whisk instead of an electric mixer, and make sure it is all mixed together.

Going to make this for a pot luck at work! Can't wait.....

Has anyone tried this variation of the Pineapple Upside down cake? How did it turn out?

VARIATION 1

1 stick butter, sliced into Tbsp
½ cup brown sugar
15oz can sliced pineapple

Maraschino cherries
Pineapple Supreme Cake Mix
15 oz can crushed pineapple

Put pats of butter and ½ cup brown sugar on the bottom of baker. Then add pineapple rings and place cherries in the holes. In a mixing bowl, mix a pineapple supreme cake mix and a can of crushed pineapple together, mixing well. Pour over the pineapple rings and cover. Microwave for 15 minutes. Let it cool completely and invert onto a platter.

If you were to bring this to a party... how would you transport it? Still in the DCB?

I would bake it right before i left for the party. It will stay nice and warm in the DCB for an hour.

My favorite twist on this cake is to use the juice in place of water and RUM to bring the liquid up to the amount listed in the recipe. Give it an excellent flavor.

I flip it out onto the small bamboo platter

I flipped it onto the SA round platter and covered in press 'n seal wrap.

Wowzers! I made this cake, as listed in the first post on this thread, last night to try it out before making it at my show on Friday night. It is sooo tasty! You'd never really know that it came out of the microwave, although I did over bake it just slightly. Now I know for next time, though! So easy, so tasty! I like that this recipe will let me show my guests what else the DCB other than just dinner and casserole-type dishes.

Oh, and I turned my out almost immediately onto my rectangular bamboo platter (either medium or large... don't remember which size it is that I have!). No problems with sticking to the DCB.

Made this for a show this weekend. It was sooooo good. Booked a show because a customer wants the DCB now! THANK YOU!!! Turned it out on my dots oval platter and it came out beautifully

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• SPAMSTIME
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
SPAMSTIME
  • ChefPaulaB
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
  • ajnewchef