• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Speedy Upside Down Pineapple Cake

In summary, Linda shared a recipe for Speedy Upside Down Pineapple Cake which involves melting butter, brown sugar, two cans of pineapple, a box of yellow cake mix, and eggs. Options include serving with ice cream or cool whip. The recipe was tested using two medium size cans of pineapple tidbits and was found to be moist and delicious. People suggested using fresh pineapple which may affect the acidity, but it still may be worth trying.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
On my opinion, this is the BEST dessert to make in the DCB! It is so yummy, that I have made it twice in the last 5 days and I'm making it again today to take to my neighbor tonight! I got this recipe from another consultant in my group and have hesitated to try it because....well, I'm a cake snob! I dislike cake mixes immensely and I think that cakes made in the microwave are pretty much disgusting. However, this is the BEST CAKE!!!! okay, those of you who know me probably just fell out of your chair or gagged on your beverage! lol. It really is good, doesn't taste like it came from a mix or the microwave.

This is the recipe as it was given to me. I made it as directed the first time, the second time I made it using two medium (15 oz) size cans of pineapple tidbits. I like using the tidbits better.

Speedy Upside Down Pineapple Cake
2 sticks butter
2 cups brown sugar
1 can crushed pineapple
1 can sliced pineapple
1 box yellow cake mix (plus eggs for cake)

1. Place brown sugar in bottom of Deep Covered Baker.
2. Melt 2 sticks of butter in microwave – I recommend using the small micro-cooker for this task. Set aside portion of the melted butter to use in place of oil in the cake mix (check cake mix box for amount). Place remaining melted butter in baker with brown sugar. Mix together then microwave 4-5 minutes or until bubbly.
3. Drain juice out of both cans of pineapple into measuring cup; set aside. Then pour crushed and sliced pineapple on top of caramelized brown sugar.
4. Prepare cake mix as directed on box except use melted butter that was set aside in place of oil and reserved pineapple juice in place of water. Add additional water to pineapple juice to reach measurement if needed. Whisk cake until mixed thoroughly.
5. Pour cake mix on top of pineapple in baker.
6. Microwave 15-17 minutes or until cake in middle is fully cooked.

Options: Serve with cool whip or ice cream if desired.

:thumbup::thumbup:I'm telling you this is good! I made my second one Sunday night and just had a piece for breakfast. It was still moist and delicious!

I still need to try this....but what size cans of pineapple?

ChefBeckyD said:
I still need to try this....but what size cans of pineapple?

for the original recipe? I don't know. I used a small can of each, it was good, but I didn't think it was enough. PLus, the rings get all mutilated when you try and cut/eat it. And, the crushed pineapple just gets lost. I changed the recipe to 2 medium size cans (15 oz size) of tid bits and it was really good! Don't think I'd use 2 of the larger cans, might be too much, maybe a large can and a small can.

Thanks for sharing Linda! I was looking for a dessert to make in the DCB tomorrow night for my mother's birthday and this sounds perfect and easy enough to make in a hurry!! :thumbup:

This sounds wonderful. I was going to do a pizza Thursday night, but may do this instead.

Sounds yummy! Do you leave the cake in the DCB or take it out and display on a plate? Just curious.

thefoodking said:
Sounds yummy! Do you leave the cake in the DCB or take it out and display on a plate? Just curious.

I flip it out. I have used the dot's oval platter, but I'm pretty sure it will fit on the small bamboo tray too.

Wouldn't the pineapple rings on the bottom when you flip it out make for a better presentation? I'm just thinking how pretty that normally looks.

Linda, this cake is the best!! Thank you so much for sharing this!I made it last night for my neighbor's birthday, now they can't wait to buy a DCB! It was a leap of faith, I've never made a cake in the microwave before, but this one was soooooo good. Makes me want to try the lava cake.
Marghi

The lava cake is sooooo wonderful. Sin in a dish! Ice cream is a must IMHO!!!
We could also use the Pineapple Wedger and use some fresh pineapple. Pass around the remaining fresh pineapple while people wait for the cake (an entire 15 minute wait!!)You could make chunks with the fresh pineapple too.

I think I just came up with my recipe for our June meeting! Our Exec. Director is visiting!

cookingwithdot said:
Wouldn't the pineapple rings on the bottom when you flip it out make for a better presentation? I'm just thinking how pretty that normally looks.

The tidbits look pretty good too - especially when you use so many of them. The rings looked good to. I like having the tidbits because they are easier to get pineapple in every bite :) the rings are sometimes harder to cut once they caramelize. Try it both ways and go with the one you like. This cake is a winner!

Have you tried it with the fresh pineapple, Linda? I would give one of us another excuse to make one!!! It is going on my grocery list today!!!

Re: Yummy DCB Dessert & fresh pineapple?!?My first job (millions of years ago!) was in a pineapple cannery. I love the stuff.

I love the idea of using fresh and then passing around fresh spears while it cooked and we talk about product.....but the canning process cooks it a bit, too, so it may affect the acidity. I'll try it, but first at home, not a show.

Marghi

baychef said:
Have you tried it with the fresh pineapple, Linda? I would give one of us another excuse to make one!!! It is going on my grocery list today!!!

No, but I have had regular pineapple upside down cake made with fresh pineapple and it was good. You would need to buy some pineapple juice to mix with the cake. I have some pineapple in my fridge (not sure I have enough) that I cut a few days ago and some pineapple juice in the freezer, maybe I'll give this a try tonight. I'll let you know what I think.

I can not wait to try this.

pamperedlinda said:
No, but I have had regular pineapple upside down cake made with fresh pineapple and it was good. You would need to buy some pineapple juice to mix with the cake. I have some pineapple in my fridge (not sure I have enough) that I cut a few days ago and some pineapple juice in the freezer, maybe I'll give this a try tonight. I'll let you know what I think.

Well, if I had read the directions, I may not have asked the question but now this means I can make it 2 times to try it as well!!!:D

Do you make this with the lid on or not?

awesome - can't wait to try this. :)

I made it with fresh pineapple tonight....O.M.G.!!!! it was so so so so good!

I used pineapple juice in the cake mix and about 2 cups of chopped fresh pineapple - it was the best one yet! This is going to be my summer recipe.

thank you Linda. I will be getting my DCB this week and I am going to try this right away

pamperedlinda said:

I used pineapple juice in the cake mix and about 2 cups of chopped fresh pineapple - it was the best one yet! This is going to be my summer recipe.

ok, I'm going to the grocery store tomorrow...can't wait!:love:

....now remember, I am a newbie. After you used the pineapple tool (I assume) did you just chop it up with a knife or did you use another tool like the chopper?--seems like too much volume for that..

Marghi

PS, I am starting to feel that one DCB is not enough, lol--actually, I may be serious:rolleyes:

Marghi - LOL - I know exactly what you mean about one DCB not being enough!!! :)I can't wait to make it with fresh pineapple - so, when you do this, you are just buying a can of pineapple juice and adding it? I don't have the pineapple tool, but looks like I need to get one now! :)

1 DCB is not enough for me...I use 2 at most of my parties...one for the main dish like potato chowder, the other one for the lava cake....love them

How did you cut/chop/slice your fresh pineapple? I'm salivating just thinking about this recipe!

BlueMoon said:
ok, I'm going to the grocery store tomorrow...can't wait!:love:

....now remember, I am a newbie. After you used the pineapple tool (I assume) did you just chop it up with a knife or did you use another tool like the chopper?--seems like too much volume for that..

Marghi

PS, I am starting to feel that one DCB is not enough, lol--actually, I may be serious:rolleyes:

I sliced it up like tidbits with a knife

cookingwithdot said:
Marghi - LOL - I know exactly what you mean about one DCB not being enough!!! :)

I can't wait to make it with fresh pineapple - so, when you do this, you are just buying a can of pineapple juice and adding it? I don't have the pineapple tool, but looks like I need to get one now! :)

You could do that - I'd definately make it with the juice instead of water because of the flavor. I had some pineapple juice in my freezer that I used. I had bought a large can of it last year when I made something and froze the left-over in 2-cup servings.

Melissa78 said:
How did you cut/chop/slice your fresh pineapple? I'm salivating just thinking about this recipe!
with a knife. Next time I might leave some of it in slices to make a decoration, this time I did it all in tidbits.

I am looking forward to having a piece of it for my breakfast this morning - yum!

Since someone mentioned the "lava cake", do you turn it out on a platter or serve it from the DCB? I wasn't sure.

This is such a great forum!

See you at NC. Three of us from our Sales Cluster are coming to Chicago on the City of New Orleans! We'll be at Hotel 71.

How long do you let it sit in the baker before flipping over?
I'm making it for a show tomorrow and can't wait! Sounds yummy!

Yes, someone please answer the question above...I just turn mine out, too soon I am guessing because it went everywhere!!

Serve it from the DCB with a spoon ... like the "Lava" cake made in the DCB. DCB wasn't designed to be a mold and things turned out from it are not the most attractive.

I do think Linda said she flips it out onto a platter. :) Maybe it needs to sit for a bit. :)

I flip it out and it is a pretty cake. It fits on the Dot's oval platter and the small bamboo tray.

Just be careful when you make this - different microwaves have different wattages and you may need to turn it half way through if the microwave doesn't have a turntable. I made this in the past and had one half of the cake get done, the other half still runny (ick!!)

I think the solution is to make MANY OF THEM to practice!! :)

cookingwithdot said:
I do think Linda said she flips it out onto a platter. :) Maybe it needs to sit for a bit. :)
I did let mine sit for a few minutes, maybe 10? maybe less. But I also tested it in a couple of places to be sure it was done--I use a piece of angel hair pasta.First couple of times I checked it I put it back in for another minute.So when it seemed done I took it out, let it sit--hmmmm--the cake pulled away from the edges a little--again, no more than 10 min--and flipped it. (holding my breath) but it came out great!!Marghi

Marghi, how did it taste?

RMDave said:
Marghi, how did it taste?

Dave, this rocked! We took it to our neighbor's house for his birthday, and they loved it. We took some across the street and they loved. Sharon loved it so much she is talking the DCB up to everyone we know....it has turned her into a PC believer.

I haven't tried the lava cake, I'll try that at work tomorrow. But when I was a kid, Pineapple Upside down was one of my favorite cakes, and this was as good as my mom's.

Next time I'm gonna try mixing the pineapple a little with the caramelized sugar, but there will definitely be a next time.
Marghi

YUMMY! Try the Pina Colada Upside-Down Cake OMG! It gets made in the 12 inch Exec Skillet. Just terrific.

Okay, so this is intriguing me. If I make this with fresh pineapple, though, I don't want to have to open up a can of pineapple just to get the juice. KWIM? ;) So...what's a good liquid substitution? Or do I start experimenting with putting pineapple in the citrus press and see about getting some fresh juice and add some water. :D

babywings76 said:
Okay, so this is intriguing me. If I make this with fresh pineapple, though, I don't want to have to open up a can of pineapple just to get the juice. KWIM? ;) So...what's a good liquid substitution? Or do I start experimenting with putting pineapple in the citrus press and see about getting some fresh juice and add some water. :D

Amanda, I think the flavor from the juice adds so much, I plan to buy a small can of juice this weekend when I make it with a fresh pineapple. (wish I had a wedger, now!)

I saw someone thinking about using some raspberry sauce in the cake, whhich intrigues me, but you could use one of the kern's fruit nectars like mango or guava, I bet....haven't tried it, but want to!

Marghi

BlueMoon said:
I saw someone thinking about using some raspberry sauce in the cake, whhich intrigues me, but you could use one of the kern's fruit nectars like mango or guava, I bet....haven't tried it, but want to!

Marghi, I believe it was Keith (leftymac) who was talking about the raspberry sauce being added to a plain pineapple flavored cake. My guess is that was the Raspberry Habañero sauce he was talking about.

RMDave said:
Marghi, I believe it was Keith (leftymac) who was talking about the raspberry sauce being added to a plain pineapple flavored cake. My guess is that was the Raspberry Habañero sauce he was talking about.

I didn't know if he was just kidding, but I like sweet and spicy so I can't wait to try it....but because I didn't know if he was just goofing around I didn't know if he wanted his name on it.

yum yum yum

Today I took my DCB and all the fixin's to work, but the doctors brought in a bunch of cakes, so I didn't get to make it.....my friends are all curious, though

Marghi

BlueMoon said:
I didn't know if he was just kidding, but I like sweet and spicy so I can't wait to try it....but because I didn't know if he was just goofing around I didn't know if he wanted his name on it.

yum yum yum

Today I took my DCB and all the fixin's to work, but the doctors brought in a bunch of cakes, so I didn't get to make it.....my friends are all curious, though

Marghi

Oh he wasn't kidding. He did it. :)

pamperedlinda said:

I made this tonight at my party just like this - What a hit! Thanks so much for this recipe Linda!

BlueMoon said:

yum yum yum

Marghi

I did it. I overcooked the cake so it was a little dry, but the sweet/spicy combo was fun. The sauce got a little "baked in", so it was kinda gel-like. Worth a try, but I'd do it in a prep bowl with an individual cake so you don't waste much of the priced like gold sauce in case you don't like it.

Pineapplu Upside Down cake + raspberry habanero?

leftymac said:
I did it. I overcooked the cake so it was a little dry, but the sweet/spicy combo was fun. The sauce got a little "baked in", so it was kinda gel-like. Worth a try, but I'd do it in a prep bowl with an individual cake so you don't waste much of the priced like gold sauce in case you don't like it.

maybe serve the sauce on the side as a topping? And yes, it is priced like gold, so only for special tastes, who would like the whole spicy sweet thing. :) like me, lol

marghi

Ooooh, this is going to be a fantastic recipe for shows here in Hawaii!!!! :)

ok, finally made the cake & YUM!
BUT it oozed all over my microwave!!! Anyone else have this happen? I cooked it with the lid off. It was like hot lava flowing out of it as it cooked. LOL It really filled the DCB, so I was wondering if it would overflow. I followed the recipe as it is written ... what happened? I know all of our DCB are the same size! I think next time I won't use all the batter?? I'm making this for a show on Friday & I'm a little worried about it now! Good news is that it did flip out of the baker beautifully! I used tidbits and rings, so it looked pretty on the top. I flipped it out onto my rectangular stone.

cookingwithdot said:
BUT it oozed all over my microwave!!! Anyone else have this happen? I cooked it with the lid off. It was like hot lava flowing out of it as it cooked. LOL It really filled the DCB, so I was wondering if it would overflow. I followed the recipe as it is written ... what happened? I know all of our DCB are the same size! I think next time I won't use all the batter?? I'm making this for a show on Friday & I'm a little worried about it now! Good news is that it did flip out of the baker beautifully! I used tidbits and rings, so it looked pretty on the top. I flipped it out onto my rectangular stone.

Oh NOOOO! so sorry that happened
hmmm...
I used all the batter, two 15 oz cans of pineapple, and then last night I made it with two fresh pineapples....each time it comes all the way to the top, sort of puffs over it, but doesn't overflow.

I used Duncan Hines yellow cake, just what we happened to pick up.

My oatmeal used to overflow my bowl in the microwave, but now I cook it on a lower power, it threatens to overflow, but never does. Maybe your microwave is really powerful...try setting it at like level 7 instead of 10, or maybe even less. Watch it, if it starts to overflow, open the door real quick, lower the power, and keep cooking....

let us know
Marghi

cookingwithdot said:

Mine has never overflowed. Sorry that happened to you.

I did however use dark brown sugar when I made this yesterday and it kinda burnt.

Finally adding the ingredients to my shopping list so that I can make this. My mouth has been watering over on FB :)

<h2>1. How do I make the Speedy Upside Down Pineapple Cake in the Deep Covered Baker?</h2><p>To make this delicious cake, you will need 2 sticks of butter, 2 cups of brown sugar, 1 can of crushed pineapple, 1 can of sliced pineapple, and a box of yellow cake mix. Start by placing the brown sugar in the bottom of the Deep Covered Baker. Melt the butter in the microwave and set aside a portion to use in the cake mix. Pour the remaining butter on top of the brown sugar and microwave for 4-5 minutes until bubbly.</p><h2>2. Can I use pineapple tidbits instead of crushed pineapple?</h2><p>Yes, you can definitely use pineapple tidbits instead of crushed pineapple. In fact, some people prefer using tidbits over crushed pineapple for this recipe. Simply drain the juice from two medium (15 oz) cans of pineapple tidbits and use them in place of the crushed pineapple.</p><h2>3. Do I need to add any additional ingredients to the cake mix?</h2><p>Yes, you will need to add some additional ingredients to the cake mix. Use the melted butter that was set aside in place of oil, and use the reserved pineapple juice in place of water. If needed, add some additional water to the pineapple juice to reach the required measurement. Whisk the cake mix until it is fully mixed.</p><h2>4. How long do I microwave the cake in the Deep Covered Baker?</h2><p>You will need to microwave the cake for 15-17 minutes or until the cake in the middle is fully cooked. The exact time may vary depending on your microwave, so keep an eye on the cake to ensure it doesn't overcook.</p><h2>5. Can I serve the cake with anything else?</h2><p>Yes, you can serve the cake with some cool whip or ice cream if desired. This will add some extra sweetness and creaminess to the already delicious cake. However, the cake is also great on its own!</p>

1. How do I make the Speedy Upside Down Pineapple Cake in the Deep Covered Baker?

To make this delicious cake, you will need 2 sticks of butter, 2 cups of brown sugar, 1 can of crushed pineapple, 1 can of sliced pineapple, and a box of yellow cake mix. Start by placing the brown sugar in the bottom of the Deep Covered Baker. Melt the butter in the microwave and set aside a portion to use in the cake mix. Pour the remaining butter on top of the brown sugar and microwave for 4-5 minutes until bubbly.

2. Can I use pineapple tidbits instead of crushed pineapple?

Yes, you can definitely use pineapple tidbits instead of crushed pineapple. In fact, some people prefer using tidbits over crushed pineapple for this recipe. Simply drain the juice from two medium (15 oz) cans of pineapple tidbits and use them in place of the crushed pineapple.

3. Do I need to add any additional ingredients to the cake mix?

Yes, you will need to add some additional ingredients to the cake mix. Use the melted butter that was set aside in place of oil, and use the reserved pineapple juice in place of water. If needed, add some additional water to the pineapple juice to reach the required measurement. Whisk the cake mix until it is fully mixed.

4. How long do I microwave the cake in the Deep Covered Baker?

You will need to microwave the cake for 15-17 minutes or until the cake in the middle is fully cooked. The exact time may vary depending on your microwave, so keep an eye on the cake to ensure it doesn't overcook.

5. Can I serve the cake with anything else?

Yes, you can serve the cake with some cool whip or ice cream if desired. This will add some extra sweetness and creaminess to the already delicious cake. However, the cake is also great on its own!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• SPAMSTIME
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
SPAMSTIME
  • ChefPaulaB
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
  • ajnewchef