• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tips for Declining a Party Invitation: What to Say to an Overwhelmed Hostess

In summary, the hostess is in a difficult situation. She originally booked a show in May for her sister's hosting gig, but when her sister couldn't come, she was forced to take over. With no one confirmed to come, she has moved the show to her mom's house for the sister's birthday party. However, she is doubtful that many people will show up. She is considering turning the show into a catalog show in order to make money.
chefkathy
Help me figure out what to say to this hostess.She booked off a show in May that her sister hosted. Current host was not there, but her sister basically twisted her arm into booking. Current host was originally booked for July, but rescheduled because no one could come. Now here we are and the show is supposed to be on Saturday. She has no idea who is coming. NO ONE has responded to the e-vite saying they are coming. She told me she booked the show only because her sister wanted her to and she doesn't have the time or energy for this right now. We moved the show location to her mom's house because they are having her niece's birthday party that afternoon. They are expecting people (who will be mostly family and her SISTER's friends) to stay for the PC show. Current host told me they know that the PC show is happening, so at least they won't be blind-sided. Oh, and the birthday party is not even at the house--it's at a local arcade. I am doubting they are going to make the trek to the house.Current host told me she is getting mostly catalog orders anyway. And now she can't even guarantee that anyone will be there. My MIL is visiting from out of town and honestly I'd rather spend a day out with my family than cut our visiting short to go to a show that might be a total bust.So how do I convince the host that I don't need to come? I need ideas ladies. I'm going to call her later tonight.

DebbieJ said:
.....Current host told me she is getting mostly catalog orders anyway. And now she can't even guarantee that anyone will be there. .....

I think those are the magic words! She might be looking to YOU for an 'out' as well. When you talk to her tonight just ask her if she'd be more comfortable turning this into a catalog show since it sounds like attendance will be low....ya know, with the birthday party and family obligations.....good luck.

I am with Linda. She has already told you she wants to do a catalog show instead. She just didn't finish asking. She decided to be vague and hope you ask her instead.

Tell her a catalog show sounds like the best thing for her considering everything that's going on and the invite reponse. Say "Don't feel bad, I have family visiting so it may just work out well for both of us." Then talk to her about what 60% off special she's interested in and how you would love for her to get the cookware and future specials, that she shouldn't be penalized because she's not having an actual show. Tell her to ask everyone that didn't repond to her invite to host a show so she can benefit at each one of those and buy from the new season catalog with a 10% discount!

Addie's words sound much better than mine - use those!

LOL, you are funny Linda! Addie did have good words though. Hopefully it won't be too bad. I guess it can't be...she's already got orders!

Alright Deb, I just got on so I'm wondering what you said!

I called her last night and she was too busy to talk, so I'm going to try her again today.

Well good luck. I don't know if I'd tell her that you have family in town. I think I'd go with telling her that you don't her to spend $$ on food if no one is going to show up. Not in those words but tell her that you'd hate for her to go through all that trouble of cleaning and purchasing when she can collect orders and not go through all that!

pampmomof3 said:
Well good luck. I don't know if I'd tell her that you have family in town. I think I'd go with telling her that you don't her to spend $$ on food if no one is going to show up. Not in those words but tell her that you'd hate for her to go through all that trouble of cleaning and purchasing when she can collect orders and not go through all that!

Oh yes, this is better!! :) You're doing her a favor and saving her all that work.

One future host had the nerve to tell me she will do the min. catalog show to get the cookware in Sept., but I can still come and cook for them if "I want to do a show." Grrrr I smiled and said the purpose of the show it get her a lot more than the Host Special, sometimes more than $200 worth and it also has to be worthwhile for me to leave my family for the night. That although I love to do my shows and have fun doing it I would rather be playing with my kids.

Well....I called her and now she says there will be people there. Ugh. But you know what, I need the sales, so I'll do it.My husband and I were already tentatively making plans to go see his aunt and uncle for the day tomorrow. Oh well....

Addie4TLC said:
Oh yes, this is better!! :) You're doing her a favor and saving her all that work.

One future host had the nerve to tell me she will do the min. catalog show to get the cookware in Sept., but I can still come and cook for them if "I want to do a show." Grrrr I smiled and said the purpose of the show it get her a lot more than the Host Special, sometimes more than $200 worth and it also has to be worthwhile for me to leave my family for the night. That although I love to do my shows and have fun doing it I would rather be playing with my kids.

Good answer!!

DebbieJ said:
Well....I called her and now she says there will be people there. Ugh. But you know what, I need the sales, so I'll do it.

My husband and I were already tentatively making plans to go see his aunt and uncle for the day tomorrow. Oh well....

I hope you come back next week and tell us it was HUGE!!! Have fun with your family.

ok~I have been on vacation and HAVE to know what happened with this show, Deb!!!!

It's late, so I'll have to update more later....but the show ended up happening. Sales are not so hot, but I did get one Sept booking for the 12th, so i'm happy.

1. How do I politely decline a party invitation without hurting the hostess's feelings?

It's important to be honest and sincere when declining a party invitation, while also being respectful of the hostess's time and effort. You can start by thanking the hostess for the invitation and expressing your appreciation for their thoughtfulness. Then, politely explain your reason for declining and offer to make it up to them in the future.

2. What should I say if I've already declined a previous invitation from the same hostess?

If you have already declined a previous invitation from the same hostess, it's best to be upfront and honest about it. You can mention that you appreciate the invitation but you already have other commitments. You can also offer to help the hostess in some other way, such as providing a dish or helping with set up.

3. How do I decline an invitation from a close friend or family member?

Declining an invitation from a close friend or family member can be tricky, as you don't want to hurt their feelings. The key is to be honest and explain your reason for declining. You can also suggest an alternative way to spend time together, such as going out for lunch or meeting up for a coffee date.

4. What if the party invitation is for a special occasion?

If the party invitation is for a special occasion, it's understandable that the hostess may feel overwhelmed and disappointed if you decline. In this situation, it's important to be extra considerate and express your regrets for not being able to attend. You can also offer to send a gift or card to show your support and make it up to the hostess in some other way.

5. Is it okay to decline a party invitation at the last minute?

In general, it's best to avoid declining a party invitation at the last minute unless it's absolutely necessary. This can cause inconvenience and disappointment for the hostess, who may have already made preparations for your attendance. If you must decline last-minute, make sure to apologize and explain your reason in a sincere and respectful manner.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• melissaboyd
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • chefkathy
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
quiverfull7
Replies