• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Teaching Teenagers How to Make Something "Fancy"

In summary, the girls are requesting that Amanda teach them how to make something fancy. Amanda is going to teach them in a room away from the kitchen in our church building. She is going to use the Chocolate Mousse Cups from Fall 2005 as an example.
babywings76
Gold Member
I've been asked by my friends at church who are in charge of our youth program, if I could teach the girls (ages 12-17) something about cooking at an upcoming youth activity night. This will strictly be my teaching them, not trying to sell PC or hint about their moms buying/hosting. So I'm trying to decide what I could do, when today I hear that the girls are requesting that I teach them how to make something fancy. My friends (the leaders) have come to my parties and some have hosted, so they know and love PC, and they hope I can teach the girls something that "looks amazingly delicious and is still super easy to make". I will be teaching them in a room away from the kitchen in our church building. The kitchen is down the hall, so I can make something and then put it on a cart we have there and take it to the kitchen to bake. I'd prefer it to be something that I won't need the microwave for, because the inconvenience of having to run back and forth down the hall. Any ideas?

the Chocolate Mousse Cups (not sure of exact name) from Fall 2005 are fancy and easy (and taste good). You can find them in the Season's Best behind CC.Why can't you just bring the microwave to the room you'll be in?You can bake the crepes into the cups ahead of time.

I don't think we are allowed to move the appliances. But I could ask one of the leaders who has a moveable one at her house if we could borrow hers. I'll check into that. I love those mousse cups! I haven't made them yet, I'll have to practice them and see how it goes! Thanks for the idea. :)Any other ideas out there? I'd like to have a few ideas to take back to the leaders and see if they care if it's a dessert or main dish or whatever.

Amanda,
Are supposed to do a main dish, dessert or what? You could do a trifle, do something in the microwave, I am assuming you will be in the gym? You could take a microwave and plug it in there. Do a microwave cake, someone just posted a pineapple upside don cake in the fluted pan that they did in the microwave.

My favorite fancy looking recipe with the Lime-Berry Mousse Trifle. It's easy to assemble and fun to make and looks awesome!

Jennie4PC said:
Amanda,
Are supposed to do a main dish, dessert or what? You could do a trifle, do something in the microwave, I am assuming you will be in the gym? You could take a microwave and plug it in there. Do a microwave cake, someone just posted a pineapple upside don cake in the fluted pan that they did in the microwave.

We're going to be in the Relief Society room. So it's carpeted and makes me nervous! The YM will be in the gym playing--you guessed it--basketball. ;)

is your RS room not by the kitchen? In almost every church I have been to they have doors that open up into the RS room right from the kitchen. If it is like that why couldnt you do the demo in the kitchen and have the girls gather round the counter. You could still take a microave into the RS room. Also is it all YW or the older girls?

I'd say a a trifle of some sort. They look super impressive and the don't HAVE to be served in a Pampered Chef trifle bowl (but why wouldn't you? LOL). Show them how to make strawberry fans to dress up the top. You could have the brownie, angel food cake, pound cake, whatever you use for a base baked ahead of time.

Another thought, but you'd need the microwave for a bit--the chocolate mousse waffle bowls from this season's SB. They are so simple and quite "fancy".

my first thought (and it isnt food related) was napkin folding. i learned this at girl scouts and it is something "fancy" to learn how to do.

anyway just a thought.

Jennie4PC said:
is your RS room not by the kitchen? In almost every church I have been to they have doors that open up into the RS room right from the kitchen. If it is like that why couldnt you do the demo in the kitchen and have the girls gather round the counter. You could still take a microave into the RS room. Also is it all YW or the older girls?

Our building is really different than the typical LDS church buildings. The RS room is in its own wing. The kitchen is by the bishop offices and is close to the gym. It has the counter opening window thing into the hallway. It's a weird design. I guess years ago it was a phase one building, then as the membership grew, they added wings and even a second floor to one half of the building (the chapel is on a hill).

The microwave is pretty large, and I wasn't sure of the building policies, if I'd be allowed to move it to the RS room. I can ask about it, or like I was saying before, I can see if I can borrow my friend's (hers is smaller and probably easier.

I'll have to ask if they want a main dish, dessert, or just a skills lesson. Right now, I believe it's for all the girls, not just the oldest group.

I would definitly see if you could use your friends if you were to use the microwave. Your buliding sounds likes a very interesting set up. But I am really thiking a trifle is right up thier alley way. You could also get some cheap gobblets at the dollar store and have them make their own. It is something they could definitly do for dances if they do dinner at their homes. Their own trifles in a gobblet.:angel:

If it's a main dish I have a great, quick and impressive looking wreath I do.
"What is it, oh wise and fabulous Crystal?" you ask
I say, "Read on my young and intelligent students."

OK 'wise and fabulous Crystal' typed the whole *^$&*$#@ thing out and it kicked me off before I could submit my comment. :cry:
So I will type the whole thing again - IN WORD!!! and attach it for you guys. But I will have to do it later tonight because it's date night and the babysitter is here. Sorry for the tease.:eek:

YEAH!!! DH and babysitter waited so I would leave you guys hanging!! See attached for Pepperoni Wreath Recipe.

PS It's not mine, I frankenstiened it for a couple of other PC recipes LOL

Attachments

• Pepperoni Wreath.doc
    24 KB · Views: 259
I'm glad you had the decency to post the recipe before leaving for your date! Give DH and extra kiss or 2 for waiting for you to finish playing! : )

If you can get the microwave I have people who love the Chocolate Velvet Cake with Strawberries. They all found this very elegant. And I don't know about in PA but Strawberries are starting to go on sale more often here.

So we decided to go with Janet's PB cup trifle. As soon as I mentioned the recipe, my friend (one of the leaders) was all excited. I mentioned others, but she felt that the PB cup trifle is perfect. Not all the girls like fruit :rolleyes: but most love chocolate and peanut butter cups. My friend has a microwave we can use, too, so we'll be fine. I'm going to also make a handout for the girls with different trifle recipes to take home. Thanks for all the help you guys! :) I'm saving the ideas in case they change their minds on this recipe and want something else.

The only one thing I would suggest is to make sure their are no allergies otherwise let us know how it goes :)

If food allergies come into play and you have to switch, maybe the southwestern seven layer salad in the trifle bowl -- beautiful, easy and delicious! Plus, no microwave needed at all!

Fluffy215 said:
The only one thing I would suggest is to make sure their are no allergies otherwise let us know how it goes :)

Yes, I just remembered that one of the older girls has a nut allergy. I just emailed my friend about it. One recipe I told her about the other day was the double chocolate mousse cups. I bought stuff to try out that recipe this weekend to see how it goes. I'll tell her some of these other ideas when we talk.

babywings76 said:
Yes, I just remembered that one of the older girls has a nut allergy. I just emailed my friend about it. One recipe I told her about the other day was the double chocolate mousse cups. I bought stuff to try out that recipe this weekend to see how it goes. I'll tell her some of these other ideas when we talk.

Amanda,

You could do the Trifle with just chocolate....brownie chunks with cream cheese/chocolate pudding/cool whip then maybe throw in some chocolate chunks or even like chocolate/caramel chunks (rolos). MMMM, maybe look up "trifle" here and see what you can find....

Also check on the nature of the nut allergy, some can still be around it but not eat it...some are allergic to tree nuts only, etc.

Related to Teaching Teenagers How to Make Something "Fancy"

1. How do I keep teenagers engaged while teaching them how to make something fancy?

One way to keep teenagers engaged is by involving them in the planning process. Ask for their input on what type of fancy dish they would like to learn how to make. You can also make the learning experience more interactive by having them take turns with different steps of the recipe.

2. What are some easy yet impressive dishes to teach teenagers?

Some easy dishes to teach teenagers are homemade pasta, gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches, and fruit tarts. These dishes require minimal ingredients and are simple enough for teenagers to follow, while still producing impressive results.

3. How can I make the learning experience fun for teenagers?

Making the learning experience fun for teenagers can be done by incorporating music, games, or challenges into the cooking process. You can also have them work in teams to create their fancy dish, adding an element of friendly competition.

4. What are some important kitchen safety tips to teach teenagers?

It is important to teach teenagers about basic kitchen safety, such as how to properly hold a knife and how to handle hot pots and pans. You should also emphasize the importance of washing hands before and after handling food, and how to properly clean and sanitize kitchen surfaces.

5. How can I encourage teenagers to continue cooking after the lesson?

You can encourage teenagers to continue cooking by providing them with easy-to-follow recipes and resources, such as cooking blogs or YouTube channels. You can also have them share their creations on social media and have them teach their friends or family members how to make the fancy dish they learned.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pcheflaurie7
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pcheflaurie7
Replies
Views
kcjodih
  • babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies