• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Surprised by My Salad Spinner: Tips & Uses?

In summary, the salad spinner is a great way to get more out of your salad greens and to help keep them fresher. It is also good for drying out thawed frozen spinach and for handwashing dishes.
cookinwithjen
Hi Everyone,

I just received my salad spinner for qualifying in my first 30 days . . .I am surprised at how big and bulky it is and have found myself wondering if anyone really uses a salad spinner.

Do you guys have any tips here? What uses have you found for the spinner? Do you actually use it in your own home?

Thanks!!:confused:

I totally use it in my home. I tell this story at my shows - because it's totally true!!! I had some friends coming over for dinner so I stopped and got a bag of mixed "pre-washed" greens for the salad. I just got the s/b spinner and my daughter was having fun playing with it so I let her do it. We rinsed the greens and then she spun it several times. We took the salad out and put it in a bowl to serve. As I was pouring out the water that had been pulled from the salad from being spun in the s/b spinner, there was a teeny-tiny little-bitty baby fly that was dead. GROSS!!! How many times have I had a little extra protein with my salad and didn't know it????!!??? So now I faithfully use the spinner for all of my greens and it's great for your berries too.
Oh, and whenever you have frozen spinach, this puppy is GREAT for getting out all of the moisture!!! I've used a bunch at shows when I'm doing like the chicken florentine ring, etc. It's wonderful once you begin to use it!!

first, congrats on qualifying within your 1st 30 days!

i didn't use mine for a long time - it's bulky, etc. now i use it at least once a week to prepare salad. i buy heads of lettuce, like romaine, and i wash/tear/spin and store in our stainless bowl. the bowl gets real cold so it keeps the lettuce from wilting. it motivates me to have salad.

i have also heard about people using it to dry out thawed frozen spinach.

i'm looking foward to readin everyone else's tips too!

I love it as well - My kids eat grapes like crazy, but you know when you rinse them and put them in a bowl, the next day the ones on the bottom are, well, yucky - not since I started spinning them in the salad spinner!! We eat alot of fruit salad as well so spinning my berries make it all the more fun - kids love taking turns with it -

Another use I have heard is for handwashables, wring cycle so to speak...

I use mine at home all the time. I usually remind my guests about e-coli and even tho' their bagged lettuce may say triple washed, it's important to wash bagged lettuce after opening. Another tip I heard (and I don't remember where I heard this) is that washing and spinning bagged lettuce helps to freshen it before serving.

WOW!

Thank you all sooooo much. I just LOVE this website, everyone is so friendly and helpful. I spent hours on here before my grand opening show and it sure paid off - it was nearly a $1400 show!

Thanks again!

WOWZA!!! great way to start the biz!!!

I love my spinner!

We eat a ton of salads - and we especially love salads with a Tex-Mex flair, so I use corn and black beans quite often in salads. I love to rinse the beans in the small spinner and then spin them dry, and I'll also spin dry the corn after cooking it. Keeps your salad fresher for the next days leftovers if you don't have all that extra water making it soggy.

I also love to use it for Pasta. I hate it when I make pasta salad, and all of the dressing sinks to the bottom of the bowl because the pasta is wet, so it won't stick. So, I spin dry my pasta before making my salad. Works like a charm!:thumbup:

I noticed in the use and care, that it says not to dis-assemble the spinning plate on the bottom of the lid?? I just was wondering if anyone has done it before ...rofl....I think I would like to take it off, so I could dry the water out from under there....KWIM??

elizabethfox said:
I noticed in the use and care, that it says not to dis-assemble the spinning plate on the bottom of the lid?? I just was wondering if anyone has done it before ...rofl....I think I would like to take it off, so I could dry the water out from under there....KWIM??

As an engineer - been there, done that...it is pretty well sealed so don't worry about the water - it will dry.

If you take it apart you will have a hard time getting the pieces back together so it works properly again.

I recommend NOT doing that as it states.

I love, love, love the S&B Spinner!! I have had 2 other - lesser -- salad spinners. They don't compare to the PC version.Berry bowl -- washing berries, grape / cherry tomatoes, small amounts of grapes, etc.Lg. Bowl -- washing lettuce, spinach ,etc., Plus it is GREAT for drying forzen spinach (as stated above).And, the bowl makes a nice salad bowl.

I just got my a week ago, and I've used it about 10 times already! I'm so excited about it, but don't have any live shows coming up to share that news. Why didn't I get it a few months ago, so I could have been raving about it before it went on special???

The bowl makes a great "in a pinch" cover for fluted cakes. It is just the right size to fit over them nicely.

I suppose you can also use it to get the liquid off canned, chunked pineapple for the tons of recipes that use it ...

I have several files, but can't attach them right now for some reason, will try later.
Deb

Related to Surprised by My Salad Spinner: Tips & Uses?

1. What is the main purpose of a salad spinner?

The main purpose of a salad spinner is to remove excess water from washed salad greens and other produce, making them crisp and ready to eat.

2. Can a salad spinner be used for anything other than drying greens?

Yes, a salad spinner can also be used to dry fresh herbs, berries, and other small fruits and vegetables. It can also be used to mix and toss salad dressings, or even wash delicate clothing items.

3. Is "Surprised by My Salad Spinner" suitable for all types of salad spinners?

Yes, "Surprised by My Salad Spinner" offers tips and uses for all types of salad spinners, including manual and electric ones.

4. How can I clean my salad spinner?

To clean your salad spinner, simply disassemble it and wash the parts with warm soapy water. Rinse and dry thoroughly before reassembling. If your salad spinner has a removable basket, you can also place it in the dishwasher.

5. Are there any tips for using a salad spinner to extend the life of my produce?

Yes, "Surprised by My Salad Spinner" offers tips for using your salad spinner to extend the life of your produce, such as using it to dry freshly washed berries before storing them in the fridge, or spinning leftover herbs to remove excess moisture before freezing them.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefinbiz
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • Jolie_Paradoxe
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
Replies