• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Stuck Kitchen Shears: What Can I Do?

In summary, some people use canola oil to keep their kitchen shears from sticking, and others use vegetable oil.
kcjodih
Gold Member
Does anyone know what I can do to 'unstick' my kitchen shears? They are the older white ones that slide into the case. I've had them forever I think and they were AWESOME until a couple of days ago. Now they stick :( I tried washing them and then drying but they're still sticking. I started my wrapping and it was a long, slow, tedious process with these so I had to dig out an old metal pair of my deceased Grandma's.

I miss my kitchen shears! Am I doomed?

Mine just did that (old white ones) but I don't use mine for paper products. Ironically, I use them for pruning my shrubs. :) I used a can of Pam spray and VOILA - worked fabulous. (WD40 would be the same) If you let it dry it may not affect your paper.

I cut aluminum foil with mine and that helps. But I like the idea of spraying with Pam.

Thanks ladies! I'll try the Pam and foil :)

I use canolla oil - works great.

Thanks! I will try that on my newer model black scissors. They have been sticking ever since I got them, even though they look a lot like the old white ones.

pampchefrhondab said:
I use canolla oil - works great.

I've done that with my black ones (current style). I drip a few drops into the point where the blades are joined.

Would any oil work or does it have to be canola?

BethCooks4U said:
Would any oil work or does it have to be canola?

I think I used plain old vegetable oil, so I'm sure any oil would work.

I've used olive oil on my old white ones.

OK so the oil works but how do you keep it working and if you are not using it on food, how does it not get all over whatever you are cutting? and how does the foil thing help? I know, I am just stupid when it comes to those things.

It keeps it oiled for a long time. We use our shears all the time and I oil them once every couple of years. I've found that a single drop of oil spreads out enough that it doesn't get all over things. Though, it is probably a good idea to make a couple of practice cuts right after oiling.

Cut some wax paper with them. This also works well for hole punches. The aluminum foil is for sharpening.

This thread is a couple of weeks old, but I agree with this poster:

krystallaws said:
Cut some wax paper with them. This also works well for hole punches. The aluminum foil is for sharpening.

Scrapbookers do use wax paper to sharpen our punches!!! It really helps to work the stiffness out of punches & scrapbooking scissors and doesn't leave behind a residue that can transfer to the photos or paper (or in this case, the food).

I can't imagine cooking oils staying slippery. Doesn't it start to glob up after a while?

I agree that the foil would be more for sharpening than working out the stiffness.

1. How do I remove stuck food particles from my kitchen shears?

To remove stuck food particles from your kitchen shears, first soak them in warm, soapy water for a few minutes. Then, use a small brush or toothpick to gently dislodge any particles that may be stuck in between the blades. Rinse the shears thoroughly and dry them with a clean cloth.

2. Can I use oil to lubricate my stuck kitchen shears?

Yes, you can use a small amount of cooking oil to lubricate your stuck kitchen shears. Simply apply a few drops of oil onto the blades and work them back and forth to loosen any stuck particles. Be sure to wipe off any excess oil before using the shears again.

3. How can I prevent my kitchen shears from getting stuck?

To prevent your kitchen shears from getting stuck, it is important to clean them thoroughly after each use. Make sure to remove any food particles and dry them completely before storing. You can also use a food-safe lubricant, such as mineral oil, to keep the blades moving smoothly.

4. What should I do if my kitchen shears are too difficult to open or close?

If your kitchen shears are difficult to open or close, it could be due to a build-up of gunk or residue in the joint. To fix this, try soaking the shears in warm, soapy water for a few minutes and then use a toothpick or brush to clean out the joint. You can also try using a drop of oil to lubricate the joint.

5. Can I sharpen my stuck kitchen shears?

Yes, you can sharpen your stuck kitchen shears to improve their cutting ability. You can purchase a specialized kitchen shear sharpener or use a regular knife sharpener. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully and always use caution when handling sharp objects.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
ChefNic
  • chefmelody
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefmelody
  • lt1jane
  • Products and Tips
Replies