• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is It Just Me??? New Kitchen Sheers

In summary, the new kitchen shears seem cheaply made, don't spring back as well as the old ones, and don't have the bump/relief on the blade so that food, germs & such can get washed away.
chefkeri
Is it just me??? new kitchen shearsI may be joining the game late... I remember reading somewhere the :) and the :mad: and the just plain :confused: about the new product line...but,

Is it just me or is anyone else really disappointed w/ the new kitchen shears.
I have had my original ones for approx. 15+ years! Original Pair!:D

The new one, to me seem cheap, flimzy, don't spring as well as the others. Most importantly it doesn't have the bump/relief on the blade so that food, germs & such can get washed away!!:eek:

The old pair were great. My big selling point is that my 4 year old can use them because the weren't supper sharp if fingers slipped and that they spring back (well!) for little hands and the were'nt so pointy that if they fell to the floor I wouldn't have to jump out of the way so it didn't poke my foot.

There are so, so, many reasons why the old pair are better. How do we compete w/ Alton Brown telling everyone that kitchen sheers should come apart for safe dishwasher cleaning? How are we suppose to lube these?

Ok, enough crying... Thanks for listening... I would love to hear that I'm over -reacting ~ please!?!:(

Last edited:
I was really disappointed when I opened mine up - I would expect Kitchen Shears to have some heft to them, and these are small, lightweight, and don't seem like they will be nearly as strong as the ones we have now....if it ain't broke, then don't fix it....IMO!
The only positive that I can see is that I can't see my DH taking these to use in the garage!:rolleyes:

I dislike the new ones for all the same reason. I don't think I'll even push them at shows at all. To me kitchen shears should be an all around tool and I just can't see myself splitting a chicken breast with these. They look like an overdone pair of scissors to me.

Let's Start Writing The Home Office!!!

I guess I am the odd man out here. I like them so far because they are light weight. I haven't used them to cut chicken bones or anything of heft yet. My white ones I used to cut paper and the spring action quit working. Valky

Ok, guess I am a weirdo. I actually liked them. The other ones hurt my hand when I would be chopping parsley and stuff up with them at shows. I was joking at our last Cluster meeting that I needed to just squeeze them for awhile to build strength in my hands.

chefkeri said:
Let's Start Writing The Home Office!!!

HATE HATE HATE THEM!!!!! For all the reasons you mentioned & then some. When I got my boxes yesterday one of the first things I did was open the shears so I could cut through the plastic of the rest of my tools & IT DIDNT CUT!!!! The old ones cut ANYTHING!!! Again, if it aint broke dont fix it...the veggie peeler STINKS!! I'm gonna start calling .....:mad: :mad: :mad:

Ginger428 said:
HATE HATE HATE THEM!!!!! For all the reasons you mentioned & then some. When I got my boxes yesterday one of the first things I did was open the shears so I could cut through the plastic of the rest of my tools & IT DIDNT CUT!!!! The old ones cut ANYTHING!!! Again, if it aint broke dont fix it...the veggie peeler STINKS!! I'm gonna start calling .....:mad: :mad: :mad:
Don't sugar coat it, Ginger...tell us what you really think.

OH! OH! OH! I just thought of something. Anyone who has kids... at holiday/birthday time... ever try to cut those monsterous plastic zip ties or plastic wrapped metal twist ties????????????????????????????THAT'S why I bought mine so long ago. First thing Christmas morning; forget about the stockings... I grab my PC KS !!! :) Everyone laughs at me, but my kids are the first to be playing w/ their toys...AND I couldn't wait... i emailed the HO...

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Don't sugar coat it, Ginger...tell us what you really think.

Hey KG...you're too funny, guess I was a bit Harsh.......NAH!!!!:eek:

You might not have been harsh enough ;) if you want to get your message through to HO.(Pssst! Some of us still assume that there is a spook that monitors this site.)

yummy4tummy said:
I guess I am the odd man out here. I like them so far because they are light weight. I haven't used them to cut chicken bones or anything of heft yet. My white ones I used to cut paper and the spring action quit working. Valky

You can fix this easily, Valky. Place a drop of cooking oil on each side where the blades attach. Force them open a few times. Tada! All better.

Personally, I'm really disappointed in the new scissors. They don't cut thin plastic. That's what we use ours for several times a week--to open cereal bags, bags of frozen fruits and vegetables, etc. I'll be keeping my old ones, thank you very much. I'll also be letting the HO know how I feel about them.

In my limited use so far, I like the old style better.

raebates said:
I'll also be letting the HO know how I feel about them.
I feel about with my fingers but I have to remember to be careful when feeling about my shears.

Hmm... my shears cut the plastic bags that the rest of my products were in. Maybe there were some bad ones that weren't sharpened or were assembled improperly.

So far mine work very good too, I have no complaints.

I'm still wondering about those Salad Scissors though.....

chefann said:
Hmm... my shears cut the plastic bags that the rest of my products were in. Maybe there were some bad ones that weren't sharpened or were assembled improperly.

I guess I should have been more specific.....I am really hard on my products, with the old shears I was able to just grab them & start cutting away at anything whatsoever, where with the new ones, you have to hold them a certain way & nicely cut the plastic....;)

pamperedlinda said:

That is one serious bad ass kitchen tool!
I am totally going to bring them to all my shows and modify the jerk chicken salad recipe to use them.
I LOVE them.
very wolverine :)

pamperedlinda said:
So far mine work very good too, I have no complaints.

I reserve judgement until I see/use them. In the first photo I saw, they looked like grass clippers.

Of course, that's sort of what a salad is made of...

raebates said:
You can fix this easily, Valky. Place a drop of cooking oil on each side where the blades attach. Force them open a few times. Tada! All better.
Actually when I contacted HO, they sent me some new ones:) Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the old ones too. I just haven't had a problem with the new ones. And IF anyone uses fresh herbs, the new ones have the ability to strip the leaves off easily. Works great! Valky

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I reserve judgement until I see/use them. In the first photo I saw, they looked like grass clippers.

Of course, that's sort of what a salad is made of...
Hey, I guess I'll be using them in the garden this summer! I can chop the heck out of some weeds! (or those nasty green tomato worms) :D

yummy4tummy said:
Actually when I contacted HO, they sent me some new ones:) Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the old ones too. I just haven't had a problem with the new ones. And IF anyone uses fresh herbs, the new ones have the ability to strip the leaves off easily. Works great! Valky
Yes, but can I use them to trim my nails?

KG...If your nails are as gnarly and tough as my DH's....then you better stick to a chainsaw! LOL

Nah - the old kitchen shears cut anything - ANYTHING. When The Kat Lady decided to tear up her old carpeting years ago, she left it rolled up and out at the street on garbage day. They didn't take it - the roll was too big. So she used her TPC Kitchen Shears to cut the old carpeting into small squares, which they took the next week.No matter how many KS I have, they all disappear. At least one set is at the Milwaukee School of Engineering with a certain un-named student who was mentioned in an earlier thread. ;)

chefann said:

Hadn't thought about that. I tried every way I could think of to get them to work on the product bags. I just figured with the change in design this was something I'd have to give up. I'll be sure to contact the HO. Thanks, Ann.

BTW, I love some of the other features--the slimmer handle, the herb stripping :eek: ability, etc.

raebates said:
Hadn't thought about that. I tried every way I could think of to get them to work on the product bags. I just figured with the change in design this was something I'd have to give up. I'll be sure to contact the HO. Thanks, Ann.

BTW, I love some of the other features--the slimmer handle, the herb stripping :eek: ability, etc.

I was using mine to TRY cut open the package of bacon I was needing - finally got it open, but it wasn't easy....then, I tried to cut open the plastic bag the beer bread is in, and had the same problem again.....I'm not liking them AT ALL!

I liked that the old ones I could grab out of my TTA with one hand and use !
These you have to take off the cover, and unlock...definitely a two handed job. Often one hand is already in the chicken meat, or holding something...

I do like that the new ones don't take up AN ENTIRE section of my TTA like the others did with the case( I always kept the case in the TTA to show guests)...

I like that the new ones are light weight...as long as they still work good.
I loved the herb part!! Used it with Cilantro..worked wonderfully...My husband thought it was just as easy to do it by hand though...

My jury is still out with them...I just know I LOVE the old ones and I"ll push them at my Feb shows...
Now I have to see if the new ones will cut through a penny like the old ones... I always mention that at shows!
As with most new products... I have to use them a while, and find out why they changed it...Surely they know how great the old ones are! They wouldn't have come out with new improved ones that aren't an improvement.

ChefNic said:
As with most new products... I have to use them a while, and find out why they changed it...Surely they know how great the old ones are! They wouldn't have come out with new improved ones that aren't an improvement.
You're certainly not a skeptic like I am.

One of my favorite quotes - and remember this when someone is saying no to booking a show or buying something - is from Andrew Carnegie:

"Everyone has two reasons for doing something. One that sounds good, and the real reason."

Personally, I love the new shears. Even my husband said last night, "These are awesome." I tried cutting through some of the things that others had mentioned, and I've had no problems (I didn't try the penny, though). No problem with the bacon package yesterday (that's actually one my DH used them for). I just tried a cereal bag, a bag of shredded cheese, a sandwich bag, frozen veggies, bag of Cheetos, and even a plastic cup. Cut through every time. I had more problems with the old shears not cutting.

I like the cover on this one, except that I keep forgetting it's on and can't understand why they don't open when I unlock it!!

Maybe there's a lot of defective ones out there, because so far, I'm lovin' mine!

Diane

See, I'm obviously going to have to contact the HO and see about replacing my shears.

I did not like the new shears either...mine did not cut the thin plastic on the other bags of products...

The Salad Shears are very, very good...I cut my tomato in quarters, threw my chicken strips in my salad and proceeded to cut them both at the same time...really cool...

Ginger428 said:
When I got my boxes yesterday one of the first things I did was open the shears so I could cut through the plastic of the rest of my tools & IT DIDNT CUT!!!!

I did the same thing and mine worked great. I do like that they have 2 safety features, the locking at the bottom and the cover over the blade. I haven't used them outside of opening my boxes, but so far so good. Maybe you got a bad pair, send them back.

Mine opens plastic bags easily- I never had a pair of the old style so I don't have anything to compare to.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
colegrovet
  • pampchefrhondab
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy