• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Sausage Risotto: A Bargain Shopper's Question on Converted Rice

In summary, parboiled rice is a type of rice that has been partially cooked in water before being used in recipes. Converted rice is a type of rice that has been precooked and has the word "converted" in the name. Risotto rice is a type of rice that is plump and absorbs a lot of water, making it perfect for making risotto. Long-grain rice is a type of rice that is made from slender-grained rice and is best suited for serving as a side dish or as the bed for sauces. Medium-grain rice is a type of rice that is made from middle-sized rice grains and is better suited for risotto or paella.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
I was looking at the sausage risoto recipe and it calls for abrezio rice or "converted rice." Stupid question from a bargain shopper ... does that translate to instant rice, or long-cooking rice?

Convherted rice is a term created by the brand name Unclr Ben's, used to describe parboiled rice.

Trish in Texas
Independent Consultant

Abrezio rice is a medium grain rice and not instant. No idea what converted is, or even parboiled, but i do know about the abrezio, i took a risotto cooking class.

Parboiled is to partially cook food by boiling it briefly in water. If parboiled, food can be added at the last minute. Parboiling insures that all the ingredienhts will complete cooking at the same time. Converted rice takes slghtly longer to cook than regular white rice.

Trish in Texas
Independent Consultant

I use Uncle Ben's with great success. My family likes the taste of it better than other brands too!

gee and i thought converted rice had an epiphany!

sorry i could not resist

susanr613 said:
gee and i thought converted rice had an epiphany!
sorry i could not resist

You crack me up Susan! :)

"Parboiled rice ..." that's not the same as minute rice, is it?

I think parboiled/minute/instant and converted all refer to rice that has been precooked, so it's easier to incorporate into dishes.

Just found this from http://www.foodsubs.com/Rice.htmlconverted rice = parboiled rice Notes: This is a good compromise between nutritious brown rice and tender, fast-cooking white rice. Converted rice is steamed before it's husked, a process that causes the grains to absorb many of the nutrients from the husk. When cooked, the grains are more nutritious, firmer, and less clingy than white rice grains. Uncle Ben's is a well-known brand. Substitutes: brown rice (more nutritious, takes longer to cook) OR white rice (less nutritious, stickier, takes less time to cook) instant rice = precooked rice Notes: This is white rice that's been precooked and dehydrated so that it cooks quickly. It's relatively expensive, though, and you sacrifice both flavor and texture. White instant rice cooks in about five minutes, brown in about ten. Minute Rice is a well-known brand. Substitutes: long-grain rice (less expensive, more nutritious, takes longer to cook)

And this is what it says about Risotto:risotto rice = Piedmont rice Varieties: This plump white rice can absorb lots of water without getting mushy, so it's perfect for making risotto. The best comes from Italy. Arborio is very well-regarded, but Carnaroli, Roma, Baldo, Padano, and vialone nano = nano are also good. The highest Italian risotto rice grade is superfino. Lesser grades are (in descending order) fino, semi-fino, and commune. You can sometimes find brown risotto rice, which has more fiber and nutrients, but it isn't nearly as creamy as white risotto rice. Never rinse risotto rice--you'll wash off the starch that gives it such a creamy consistency. Substitutes: Granza rice (shorter grain, works fine in risottos or paellas) OR short-grain white rice OR pearl barley (works well for risotto, but gives it a chewier texture) OR medium-grain white rice (may make risotto mushy)

wow - thanks so much!! who knew that converted rice was more nutritious than pre-cooked!

Guess I should also add this one, just to complete the tutorial. :Dlong-grain rice Notes: Long-grain rice has slender grains that stay separate and fluffy after cooking, so this is the best choice if you want to serve rice as a side dish, or as a bed for sauces. American long-grain rice (which includes Carolina rice) has a somewhat bland flavor, and is what cookbooks usually have in mind when they call for long-grain rice. Patna rice is a mild rice grown in India. Basmati rice, another Indian import, has a nutty taste and goes well with many Indian and Middle Eastern dishes. Jasmine rice is also aromatic, and usually less expensive than Basmati. It often accompanies Thai and Vietnamese dishes. Americans have crossed Basmati with American long-grain rice to get popcorn rice, which is milder and less expensive than basmati. Another hybrid is wild pecan rice, which retain most of the bran for a nutty, chewy flavor. Substitutes: medium-grain rice (less fluffy, stickier) It's a cool site. There's tons more varieties it talks about complete w/ pictures. :)

1. What is converted rice and why is it recommended for sausage risotto?

Converted rice is a type of rice that has been pre-cooked and then dried before packaging. This process makes the rice more resistant to overcooking and gives it a firmer texture, making it perfect for risotto dishes that require a longer cooking time.

2. Can I use any type of sausage in this risotto recipe?

Yes, you can use any type of sausage you prefer in this recipe. However, we recommend using a mild and slightly sweet sausage, such as Italian sausage, to balance out the flavors in the dish.

3. How much does this recipe yield?

This sausage risotto recipe yields about 6-8 servings, depending on portion sizes. You can easily adjust the quantities of ingredients to make more or less risotto as needed.

4. Can I make this recipe ahead of time and reheat it?

Yes, you can make this sausage risotto ahead of time and reheat it. However, the texture of the rice may change slightly after reheating. To maintain the best texture, we recommend making the risotto fresh and enjoying it immediately.

5. Can I substitute the white wine with another ingredient?

Yes, if you prefer not to use white wine in this recipe, you can substitute it with chicken or vegetable broth. This will still provide the risotto with the necessary liquid and flavor, but may alter the taste slightly.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefgirlrd
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • pamperedchristine
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • bridgetbakes