• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rice Cooker: Brown, Wild, Instant? and Small Amounts?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a rice cooker to cook different types of rice, as well as other dishes like mashed potatoes, cake, and oatmeal. The recommended cooking times for different types of rice are 5 minutes on high and 12-15 minutes on 50% power. It is possible to make larger portions of rice, up to 3 cups, by using 6 cups of water and following the same cooking times. Some users have experienced minor issues with the inner lid getting messy, but overall the rice turns out great.
chefgirlrd
Hi- I am not familiar at all with the rice cooker. I have several customers waiting to buy and wanting to cook brown, wild and/or instant rice.

One wants to use it for only 2 small portions (i.e. 1 cup cooked). Does that work?

If brown and wild rice is feasible, How long does it take?

Thanks!

i cook small amounts of white rice in the rice cooker all the time...it works just fine!

I do 3/4 cup rice and 1 1/2 cup water or 1 cup rice and 2 cups water for 5 minutes on 90% (I don't see how to say 100% on time cook - lol) and 12 minutes on 50%. I use arborio rice. Perfect every time and the best tasting rice I've found. If its more rice than I need I just save it and reheat in a prep bowl as a side or add a little milk and brown sugar and one of our sprinkles. Yum!You can use any rice or packaged pasta in it as long as it has microwave instructions. You can also bake a cake in it. Or mashed potatoes or oatmeal.Here are some recipes:Rice Cooker RecipesMashed Potatoes
Place about 1 1/2 pounds potatoes cut into small pieces in the Rice Cooker Plus and add just enough water to cover. Place the inner lid on the base and then lock the cover into place. Microwave on HIGH for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Carefully remove inner lid and drain water. Add 1/4 cup milk and mash potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste and any or all of these tasty add-ins: 2 tablespoons butter, 1 clove pressed garlic (Garlic Press), 2 ounces cream cheese, 1/4 cup sour cream (Measure-All Cup) and ½ cup grated cheddar cheese (Deluxe Cheese Grater)....or use this alternate recipe: Peel, then cube 4-5 potatoes and fill rice cooker half full. Pour in milk half way up the potatoes. Add butter, garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Place the inner lid on the base and then lock the cover into place. Microwave on HIGH for 9 minutes. Carefully remove inner lid and mash potatoes. (no draining!)Crispy Creme Cake
Put 3-4 medium scoops of prepared vanilla frosting in bottom of rice cooker. Mix yellow cake mix according to directions and pour over frosting. Place the inner lid on the base and then lock the cover into place. Microwave on high for 9 minutes. Invert immediately onto serving plate. Tastes best warm. This recipe can be made with other frosting and cake flavor combinations but vanilla frosting and yellow cake tastes like a hot Krispy Kreme donut if eaten while still warm.Rice
1 cup rice, 2 cups water. Microwave on high 5 minutes, then 50% for 12-15 minutes.* You can double this with same times.Oatmeal
½ cup regular oatmeal, 1 cup water, a little salt. Microwave on high 2 minutes. Remove, stir, add brown sugar, raisins, chopped walnuts, blueberries, mango – whatever toppings you love!You can also make prepackaged Pasta dishes in the Rice Cooker as long as they have microwave directions.

Last edited:
Can you make larger portions of rice in the rice cooker? Other than 1 cup? its starting to not be enough for my family.

I believe that you can cook up to three cups of rice, using 6 cups of water.

do you know the times? Thanks.

I do 6 cups of water and 3 cups of rice for my family. I do the same times...5 min on High, then do 15 minutes at 50% power, then let it stand for 5 minutes. It turns out great every time. Sometimes the white inner lid gets messy and a little bit of rice will end up between that and the black lid, but it's never a big deal and the rest of the rice is great!

1. How do I cook brown rice in the rice cooker?

To cook brown rice in the rice cooker, follow these simple steps:

• Measure out the desired amount of rice and rinse it in cold water.
  • Add the rinsed rice to the rice cooker.
  • For every cup of rice, add 1.5 cups of water.
  • Close the lid and select the brown rice setting on the rice cooker.
  • Once the rice is cooked, let it sit for 10-15 minutes before opening the lid.

2. Can I cook wild rice in the rice cooker?

Yes, you can cook wild rice in the rice cooker. Follow these steps:

• Rinse the wild rice in cold water.
  • Add the rice to the rice cooker.
  • For every cup of wild rice, add 2-3 cups of water.
  • Select the brown rice setting on the rice cooker.
  • After the rice is cooked, let it sit for 10-15 minutes before opening the lid.

3. Is it possible to cook instant rice in the rice cooker?

Yes, you can cook instant rice in the rice cooker. Simply follow these steps:

• Measure out the desired amount of instant rice and place it in the rice cooker.
  • Add the recommended amount of water according to the package instructions.
  • Select the white rice setting on the rice cooker.
  • Once the rice is cooked, let it sit for 5-10 minutes before opening the lid.

4. Can I cook small amounts of rice in the rice cooker?

Yes, you can cook small amounts of rice in the rice cooker. Here's how:

• Measure out the desired amount of rice and rinse it in cold water.
  • Add the rinsed rice to the rice cooker.
  • For every cup of rice, add 1.5-2 cups of water.
  • Select the appropriate setting on the rice cooker based on the type of rice being used.
  • After the rice is cooked, let it sit for a few minutes before opening the lid.

5. How do I clean my rice cooker after cooking rice?

Cleaning your rice cooker is simple. Follow these steps:

• Unplug the rice cooker and let it cool down.
  • Remove the inner pot and wash it with warm soapy water.
  • Wipe down the exterior of the rice cooker with a damp cloth.
  • Dry all parts thoroughly before reassembling the rice cooker.
  • Store the rice cooker in a dry place.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
chefdoreen
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
cakepampered
  • Chef_Anie
  • Recipes and Tips