• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ripped Off at the Gas Pump: My $300 Gift Card Story

I just thought that the hold was because I didn't have enough money on the card at the time. I'm glad you got your money back and that you're back to normal.
Christ Follower
Gold Member
I am so bummed! I had some money left over on my $300 Visa Gift Card from conference but wasn't sure how much. I had to get some gas and decided to only get $20 worth and would check the balance on the computer when I got home.

Well by the time I got home I forgot to check. So I just remembered and checked. I only have $17.24 left because the gas station transaction SAID it was $75!!! :mad: :cry:

I got totally ripped off for $55! I could have REALLY used that money right now too. GRRRRRR! I doubt that there's anything they can do, but I may go down to the gas station tomorrow to see what the heck is up. :cry:

They will put a $75 hold on your card, after transaction goes thru it will clear the hold.

yeah, it should come off in a day or two. No worries!!!

BUt maybe there isnt much you can do since if I understand correctly was a pre-paid visa card?

Gosh I hope you get it fixed. Do you have your receipt from the gas station? I would def. go back and complain!

Like others said, it is just a hold placed on the card until payment can be processed. In a day or two, it will be gone and the $20 payment will have taken it's place.

Our bank puts a pending $1 charge for gas purchases. I just noticed it doing that online. When the payment goes through, it changes to the exact amount.

My mother is a District Manager for Kangaroo-there is nothing that the gas station itself can do. It would be the credit card company. Most gas pumps will not let you use a prepaid at the pump due to the hold that is put on the card. You can usually only go in and prepay the $20 or whatever.

Okay so the $75 should come off then? That would be a huge relief! I DO still have the receipt just incase. It let me run it at the pump no problem. If I had known about the "holding" thing I would've paid inside.

Christ Follower said:
Okay so the $75 should come off then? That would be a huge relief! I DO still have the receipt just incase. It let me run it at the pump no problem. If I had known about the "holding" thing I would've paid inside.

I can almost guarantee it will come off, and if doesn't then you can take it up with the credit card company. I used mine to pay for gas and it didn't happen like that, I think it might have something to do with the actual station. I've heard some stations do that.
Check your balance in the next day or 2 and it should be fine!;)
Let us know how it works out!

Did you run it as a debit? I have heard not to run things as debits for that reasons. Credit purchases usually tend to run for the amount you request but debits they automatically charge $75 just in case. Like everyone else said....it will revert back to the actual charge in a couple days.

I hope it comes off for you and you get it figured out. I am suprised that you could use it, I tried and it didn't work.

Okay ladies...just checked again today and the charge is gone! YAY! I am so glad I started this thread there. You all really calmed my nerves! Thanks again for the info. Now I am back up to $77 left on my card! WOO HOO!

Yay Ellen!! As soon as I saw this thread again, I had to come check it out! I'm so happy it turned out the way we thought it would and that you have your money back! :thumbup::D

Glad to hear that it's all resolved! I never knew that they did such a thing....

What happened to the $300 gift card at the gas pump?

Unfortunately, the $300 gift card was not accepted at the gas pump due to an error in the card's activation process.

Can the $300 gift card be used at any gas station?

Yes, the $300 gift card can be used at any gas station that accepts the specific brand of the gift card.

How was the issue with the gift card resolved?

After contacting the customer service department, the issue was resolved and the $300 gift card was reactivated for use at the gas pump.

Is there a way to prevent this type of issue from happening with gift cards?

Yes, it is important to carefully follow the instructions for activating the gift card before attempting to use it at the gas pump or any other location.

Can I still use the gift card for future purchases?

Yes, the gift card can still be used for future purchases as long as it is within the expiration date and has the necessary funds available.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
baychef
  • SillyChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
SillyChef
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies