• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Never Again! Our Terrible Experience at the Hilton

In summary, the team experienced a litany of errors while staying at the Hilton. The worst being billing. When checking in, one night of their room should have been paid for, but they were charged for the second night. They were told they had to pay for the third night as well. They were also charged $111.60 for the fourth night, which was supposed to be paid for by the director.
lt1jane
Gold Member
My team will NEVER stay at the Hilton again. We suffered though a litany of errors. The worst being billing. When I checked in, one night of my room was supposedly paid for. We were told we had to pay for the second night.

It should NOT have been paid for. I knew that my director had the cash for my room and I could get it back from her. I was charged $55.80 for Thursday AND Friday nights. So was my roommate who checked in and out with me. A third roommate paid her $111.60 and I'm not certain about the 4th, I think she was going to pay my director since she (My director) was charged $223.20 for that first night and the Hilton would NOT refund her credit card - smothing to do with how Experian paid them. This is why several of us were just giving up and paying her directly because the Hilton coulnd't figue out their rear end from a hole in the ground.

Because I gave my director cash in advance, she gave me $55 back. not a big deal. I got home and looked at my bank balance, I was charged twice!! Check how you paid to make sure you did not pay twice!!!!!

I'm sorry you had so many problems. I have never had a problem with the billing when staying at the Hilton. One of the problems is probably the fact that you had someone reserve the room that did not stay in the room. I was the room leader for our room and prepaid the first night. Since there were only 3 of us in the room, there wasn't a problem with the billing... The other nights were charged to the other two evenly. I checked my bank accounts and no double charges here.

I was room leader at the Hilton as well. I believe my roommates were double billed at first and then it was fixed. I was never charged again though.I was NOT a big fan of the Hilton at all. For $200 a night, you shouldn't have to pay for wireless internet, there should be anti-skid tracks in the bathtub for showering, and it shouldn't sound like a train is going past your room every 15 minutes.Jane, what room were you? I was in 1935. The only cheffer I met in person was raebates.

I was at the Embassy Suites. We confused them pretty good too. Ruth showed up 2 days early with her mom & sister, when her guests left me & 3 other consultants moved in. 4 of us left on Saturday, Annastasia stayed & 4 more moved in with her for 1 night! So in the 6 nights that our team had possession of the room no one person was there the whole time and there were 11 different people slept in there at some point during that duration. LOL

Ruth put it all on her credit card when she arrived & we started paying her cash. Somehow, we came up $22 credit (overpayment) when we were done & leaving on Saturday. I paid for the internet service too leaving a $70 Credit for the girls who were staying Sat night ~ they got off pretty cheap their last night! :D

Checkout went fairly smoothly because of us paying cash to the one girl who had everything on her card. It was check in that was a nightmare! Yolanda reserved the room on her card, but when Ruth showed up early, she moved it all to her card. Neither one were present when Annastasia & I tried to check in & since our names were not on the account, they wouldn't let us check in. They took my luggage, gave me an hour of free internet service & we planted our butts in the lobby to wait. Then I waited forever to get my luggage back. Someone said they would bring it to my room & never showed. I had to get ready for the Upper Level reception & went down to see if I could get it. They guy who was supposed to bring it went home for the night & no one could find it. I had to walk through 3 different rooms with an attendant to find it myself. I only had about 40 minutes to shower, dress, walk to the Sheraton (1 block away) and shuttle over to the Hilton. I was late, of course. I really dislike being rushed like that. I wanted to get in the room, iron everything for the whole trip & hang it, and get showered & dressed in plenty of time. They threw me all off schedule! :p

Ugh don't get me started on problems with the Hilton! But thanks for the heads up.

our team had the "double" billing issue too..
I've never seen so many problems/issues as I did this year at the Hilton.

We stayed at the Hilton and had issues checking in as well. We had one girl who reserved our room but ended up staying in another room. One of the girls in my room put the room on her charge card and we paid her but they would not issue a credit to the original girl who reserved. We had to pay so much to one girl and then to the other...next year we will probably have one person pay for everything and get our room assignments before we get there to try to end the confusion. I agree we should not have paid for internet...that was ridiculous! And one of our rooms was really tiny and the other one was nice and large--and they were the same price! I was in 1441 and our other room was 1468 (the larger room).

All i will say is..."Dont even get me started on the BS at the Hilton this year". NIGHTMARE! HORRID! SOOOOOOOOO horrid we got money knocked off the room (which billing was a nightmare in itself!) Our room was never under 75 degrees. Our makeup MELTED in our bathroom it got so hot in the afternoon. They left the room dirty after housekeeping had 'done their job' - did not restock towels, we had to call. Left the garbage full and didn't replace our water for 2 days. Our other room had dirty glasses left in it (and different floor even), the dust you could write your name in and just overall poor service.

We had maintenance to our room 5 times and in the end, nothing changed. We opened the windows and listened to the train all night long (that I too thought was coming thru my room!).

HORRID HORRID HORRID!

Sorry that happen to you hope that doesnt happent to everyone

Last edited:
Brenda, I was in room 918, mu director was in 541. The billing I got sort of straightened out. We'll see. They told me there were two "authorizations" and only one will go through the other will disappear in 3-5 days. I'll be watching. If that's true, they are still tieing up my money for 3-5 days which is unacceptable. They had permission to do ONE authorization not two.

My Director who was also my roommate, booked with Expedia and encountered the same billing issues as described. Our room had ants really bad, so bad, my Director discovered them covered in her handbag Saturday morning at breakfast. I was also upset about the cost of internet. We will never stay at the Hilton again!

We were also double billed and then billed an additional $55. Finally got it straightened out, though. It was awful checking in, as well. One of our team members' rooms wasn't ready until 6PM!!!! They had to get ready for the upper level reception in my room. And it was terribly hot in our room, as well. Will NOT be staying there again.

I didn't get in my room until after 7PM!!!

I'm so sorry so many of you had bad experiences! We've stayed there the past few years and never had any issues. I do know the double authorizations has a lot to do with debit cards - so that could have been the issue. For the person with no a/c and the one with the ants - complain until you get free night(s). That's unacceptable and they should bend over backwards to make it right.I've gotten free nights on 3 different occasions in 3 different hotels for no a/c, a loud
obnoxious neighbor who puked in the hallway (this was a holiday inn express) and a broken toilet and no access to the pay movies. I don't take no for an answer and suggest speaking to the manager until you get some satisfaction.

We must have had all of the cold air in our room on the 7th floor. I want the Palmer House back as a conference hotel. I said something to the guy guiding people at check-in. He thought we were at that Hilton instead of Palmer House b/c of the # of people and that it's closer to McCormick. Obviously he didn't know we had people at the Sheraton. I keep toying with staying at the McCormick Place Hyatt. If they keep running the shuttles at night like they did this year, the Hyatt is even more appealing.

we came back form meeting 1st day - and the room was 77 degrees!
Was on the exec floor- called for maintenance, they arrived in 5-10 min and fixed it ( so he thought)
2 hrs later after I was ready for bed realized there was no air and it was getting warm. Called again- and waited, and waited 40 min later I called again, no answer at front desk- called operator and she said she would send someone- 20 min later NO ONE! I am tired! up early and its after 11- I get dressed go down to the front desk- and b*tch - I told him I have called 3x and no one has come, I am hot, tired and cranky- I wish to have this fixed or have another room- Oh and btw- I want tonights charge removed from the bill.

THey sent a person to fix it and showed me how to override that stupid energy motion detector on it- and left ...we were fine for the rest of the stay- and got 1night credit.

One of my roommates and I both also got double charged and yes, we both had paid with our debit cards. We did get our money back, eventually, but we were upset about our money being tied up for the majority of the stay.

I had booked through the housing website but canceled the roon far in advanve when my wife wanted a larger room. They put us in a wrong room but had no problem getting everything moved. That's when they let me know that the housing website never canceled my room. They credited the money towards the new room. My only issue was the housekeeper. We were there 5 nights and the room was only really cleaned once. Did anyone else wake up with workers outside their window? I didn't think to worry about that on the 10th floor.

Chef Bobby said:
I had booked through the housing website but canceled the roon far in advanve when my wife wanted a larger room. They put us in a wrong room but had no problem getting everything moved. That's when they let me know that the housing website never canceled my room. They credited the money towards the new room. My only issue was the housekeeper. We were there 5 nights and the room was only really cleaned once. Did anyone else wake up with workers outside their window? I didn't think to worry about that on the 10th floor.

One of the wings was getting work done so that's probably what it was.

in the 4 years I've stayed there at the Hilton, this is the first time I've seen any issues.

Not sure if we will see any billing issues for our room -- someone charged $10.50 to our room from the coffee shop, but we got that taken off (that is why I ONLY pay cash and never charge to the room, so if there is something there I know I didn't do it) --but for those of you waiting for any type of refund or redistribution of charges, you will be waiting quite a while. I was due $100+ last year because they charged my card up front and then they redistributed it when my roommates checked in -- the Hilton refunds Experient and then Experient refunds us...Last year it took nearly TWO MONTHS for me to get my refund!

Be sure you guys are putting this on your Conference Survey. There is a page specifically for the Hotel, and you can type specific comments. Use it! That stinks it happened.

For those that used debit cards... There was a HUGE sign right at the check in line regarding that debit cards will have a "hold" placed on the card and the "hold" will stay there for up to 72 hours after you check out. The "hold" is placed on every debit card, and almost every hotel that I've ever stayed at does the same thing with debit cards.

Thank you for this thread. Because of it, I remembered to check my cc statement to make sure that I was refunded the one-night deposit I placed on a room at the Hilton through Experient.

Becuase I didn't end up with any other Team members going to Conference with me, I cancelled my room on the 16th (which was the deadline). When I called to cancel, I was told that cancellations must be done in writing so I sent an email immediately. I received an email response saying, according to their records, my room was already cancelled and I should receive a refund to my cc in 7 to 10 days. One month later, and I still haven't seen it.

When I called today, they at first had no record of my email cancellation. When they finally found that, they found that the person who responded to my email didn't actually cancel the room. So, now they have to go through the Hilton to get my money back to me.

If it hadn't been for this thread, I might not have thought to check my cc statement yet. So, thank you again. And I'm sorry for everyone who had hotel/Experient issues. I will also be mentioning mine in the survey.

Shari in TX

And don't forget to mention how horrible Experient was to deal with when housing opened.

We were at the Sheriton and the billing was the same. But we dealt with it this way...the person who reserved the room was billed for 1 night in advance...214. On Friday night we went downstairs and they divided the room and parking by 4 and we each should have paid 177...so we all divided the difference and gave her cash. It was a good experience. By going on Friday night there was nobody in line and the desk people could take their time and figure it out. We also had a 5th person in the room...and they won't divide the room 5 ways...who only stayed 2 nights. So we figured the total room cost each day and divided it up. She gave one person a check and she gave cash back to us which made our room very inexpensive. I think it was 54 1 night and 42 the other 2 nights. We had to pay for internet also.

Can someone tell me how the Embassy Suites rooms were...and the service/atmosphere? We are thinking about staying there next year.

the Hilton was the worst place I ever stayed and will not go back again. I did not have any errors in our billing but it took me forever to explain how we were paying splitting etc, then he said we did not have room we paid for a double/double so the manger finds a nanny room off one of the suites it was the size of a closet, the 2nd night we are moved to a bigger room that smelled horrible and the air did not work
we all woke up sick with headaches. Really not worth the price!

cookinforyou said:
the Hilton was the worst place I ever stayed and will not go back again. I did not have any errors in our billing but it took me forever to explain how we were paying splitting etc, then he said we did not have room we paid for a double/double so the manger finds a nanny room off one of the suites it was the size of a closet, the 2nd night we are moved to a bigger room that smelled horrible and the air did not work
we all woke up sick with headaches. Really not worth the price!

We had a room that was off of one of the suites and it wasn't any smaller than my friends who had the regular rooms. In fact our bathrooms were larger than theirs.

The only billing problem I had was a $3.85 charge for food and beverage on our first night, Wednesday. When I called to question it, I was told that it probably was for the bottle of water, or maybe the mini-bar. I told him that the water was still there, untouched, and we had no keys to the mini-bar. He then removed the charge promptly and emailed me a new copy of the portfolio.

BTW, did anybody else think that $6 for a bottle of water seemed excessive? Especially since the bottles were $2 in the vending machine down the hall.

We stayed at the DoubleTree down the street from the Sheraton. The rooms had Queen Beds and we very nice. Much cheaper then any conference Hotel. Would Suggest it to anyone.

StacieB said:
We stayed at the DoubleTree down the street from the Sheraton. The rooms had Queen Beds and we very nice. Much cheaper then any conference Hotel. Would Suggest it to anyone.

I LOVE Doubletree! I will most likely stay at the Hyatt next year because of the convenience, but my second choice would be the Doubletree. I highly recommend that hotel chain year round... (that, and they have awesome cookies at check in!)

Brenda.the.chef said:
I LOVE Doubletree! I will most likely stay at the Hyatt next year because of the convenience, but my second choice would be the Doubletree. I highly recommend that hotel chain year round... (that, and they have awesome cookies at check in!)

That is the best reason to stay at the Doubletree. In my previous job, we did a lot of business with a local Doubletree. They would send over trays and tins of the cookies. I could never get enough!!!

I guess my main question would be is it Hilton's fault or Experients? They have been a pain in the arse ever since they took over and for some reason, HO uses them again, and again, and again. Sorry to hear you all had issues at the Hilton. Personally I love the place but I never ran into any of those issues. I did not go this year so, Sorry Terry you had it bad!

Didn't think we had any issues with the Hilton - this was the 3rd time I've stayed there - but today, my 3 roomies and I all were charged $37.10 on our credit cards. I can't get a straight answer from anyone....and I've already done my survey!! grrrr.

Don't forget to watch your statements for the next few months. Charges can show up as much as 3 months later.

pampered1224 said:
I guess my main question would be is it Hilton's fault or Experients? They have been a pain in the arse ever since they took over and for some reason, HO uses them again, and again, and again. Sorry to hear you all had issues at the Hilton. Personally I love the place but I never ran into any of those issues. I did not go this year so, Sorry Terry you had it bad!

It's both. Billing issues I'm willing to blame on Experian.

My smoke smelling room when no one in the room is a smoker, the smelly log found in the toilet, wet towels not picked up off the bathroom floor (the sign said that towels left of the floor would be replaced, ones hung up to dry would be left), 24+ hours to fix a broken lamp, rooms not being ready until 7PM when check-in is a 3, those are things I can only blame the Hilton for.

This was not their first conference (there was a NAMI conference going on in that hotel), not thier first conference as a PC conference hotel, nor will it be their last conference. Our issues are things that should NOT happen at a hotel where the bargain rate is $200 a night!!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• barbara_anne
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
lkbcovington
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • Bren706
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies