• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Prepare for Winter with Tips from Last Year's Inclement Weather Experience

In summary, the conversation is about the effects of snow on daily life and the frustrations it can bring, as well as different methods of dealing with it and enjoying it. There is also a mention of a previous conversation about snow from last February.
MORE Déjà Vu All Over AgainHow do tell if there has been a fresh snowfall?

Do you look for the fluffy white on tree branches?

Do you check for the light dusting on your front walk?

Perhaps you watch a cardinal hopping along the ground in high contrast to the fresh snow.

Me?

I just have to look for the location of my mailbox.

mailbox1.jpg

Yup, it snowed last night.

mailbox2.jpg

To quote Dr. McCoy, "He's dead, Jim."

You think I'm kidding? This is from the Repent! Repent! The White Death Is Coming! thread from last February:

IM002637.jpg

TKG, they do the same thing here in MN... thank God we live in a suburb that has those wonderful silver government errected mail boxes that house 6 homes per box. The only issue with that is we have a whimp for a mail lady, and if she has to fully extend her arm to put mail in the boxes she won't deliver our mail. The people who's property lines share that mail box are both too lazy to fully shovel or plow out a spot so her mail truck can get close enough to the boxes...so last year, we didn't get our mail every time it snowed. I ended up going 2 houses down to the mailbox with my snow plow, and then let my dogs pee in each of their yards as a thank you for being too lazy to shovel out a path so our mail lady wouldn't have to stick her entire arm out of her mail truck window.

By the way, I'm teasing about letting my dogs pee in their yards... I'm more of a voodoo retribution kind of gal.

Neither rain nor hail nor gloom of night will stay these carriers from their appointed rounds.Now, pile a little snow in front of the box, however, and you might as well call FedEx.

Kitchen Diva said:
TKG, they do the same thing here in MN... thank God we live in a suburb that has those wonderful silver government errected mail boxes that house 6 homes per box. The only issue with that is we have a whimp for a mail lady, and if she has to fully extend her arm to put mail in the boxes she won't deliver our mail. The people who's property lines share that mail box are both too lazy to fully shovel or plow out a spot so her mail truck can get close enough to the boxes...so last year, we didn't get our mail every time it snowed. I ended up going 2 houses down to the mailbox with my snow plow, and then let my dogs pee in each of their yards as a thank you for being too lazy to shovel out a path so our mail lady wouldn't have to stick her entire arm out of her mail truck window.

By the way, I'm teasing about letting my dogs pee in their yards... I'm more of a voodoo retribution kind of gal.

I have a plastic mailbox tray that they can grab and pull out, drop the mail in and push it back in. That helps the reach!

KG - sorry to hear about your mailbox AGAIN!!!!

We are lucky to be in a small township where all the town's crew is careful...

I'm so happy that it doesn't snow here! Well, other than the pretty stuff we get once every other year or so that closes down the entire city.....we kinda look forward to it around here.

But we get to take sleigh rides in the snow, ride horseback in it, cross-country and downhill ski, go tubing, lay on the ice and listen to it crack while watching the stars...on and on...

:)

Kitchen Diva said:

I would be calling the Postmaster General of the branch every single time that mail lady failed to deliver mail. Enough complaints, she will be reassigned or fired. I would also ask the other 5 houses file complaints also.

i survivedlots of shoveling but banked my house up with snow. helps on the heating costs. we got about a foot of snow. so ready or not its begining to look a lot like christmas every where you go. :D

Follow up Dec 3The mailbox, and the neighbor's mailbox, are both back in their proper places today.

Either DPW came out and quietly repaired them or the mailbox fairy came overnight.

Maybe I should go look and see if I have a quarter under my pillow.

As compared to going to the beach, having a year-round tan, growing flowers all seasons, seeing the sun 95% of the time, not having to shovel heavy, wet, white muck, riding with the top down in our convertibles?????

Jackie

JackieBozeman said:
As compared to going to the beach, having a year-round tan, growing flowers all seasons, seeing the sun 95% of the time, not having to shovel heavy, wet, white muck, riding with the top down in our convertibles?????

Jackie

Each area has it's perks...you can keep your wild fires and earthquakes. Other areas have tornados, hurricanes, etc. I love the seasons. See there is nothing like cross country skiing, snowmobiling, going for a walk in the snow and snuggling by the fire. I would tire of sand in my crack (don't even go there, KG!!), worrying about skin cancer and I don't like convertibles. Besides, I was SO glad to see the cool weather arrive...I was tired of perspiring like a barn yard animal!!!:eek: :eek: Now, next March....I will be NOT be looking for snow, etc. but I find I love the change of seasons too much! Thank goodness we all like where we live (if you don't...life is too short...move!). If we didn't like different climates it would get aweful crowded if we all tried to live in one section of the world!!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The mailbox, and the neighbor's mailbox, are both back in their proper places today.

Either DPW came out and quietly repaired them or the mailbox fairy came overnight.

Now what would a mail box fairy look like??? You probably won't have a quarter but you may have mail or a big a** snowplow!!!:angel:

I dunno. I'd ask Jason if he was around.

Lena and Ole were listening to the radio when the announcement came that because of the snow emergency, citizens had to park their cars on the odd side of the street.Ole didn't complain but went and moved his car to the odd side of the street.The next night, Lena and Ole were listening to the radio when the announcement came that because of the snow emergency, citizens had to park their cars on the even side of the street.Ole mumbled under his breath but went and moved his car to the even side of the street.The next night, Lena and Ole were listening to the radio when the announcement came that because of the snow emergency, citizens had to park their cars on the odd side of the street.Ole slammed the newpaper down on his lap and said, "Darn it, Lena! I'm tired of parking the car where they tell me to!""Well, den Ole," Lena said, "Tonight, why doncha just leave the car in the garage?"

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I dunno. I'd ask Jason if he was around.
That's pretty funny, because I almost posted yesterday that I always pictured a Mailbox Gnome. A Mailbox Fairy would make one's mail a little sparkly.
Then I deleted it, thinking it might offend someone.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The mailbox, and the neighbor's mailbox, are both back in their proper places today.

You have mailbox fairies? Lucky... anything happens to our box it's up to us to replace/fix it.

chefann said:
That's pretty funny, because I almost posted yesterday that I always pictured a Mailbox Gnome. A Mailbox Fairy would make one's mail a little sparkly.
Then I deleted it, thinking it might offend someone.
I'd gladly give either a good gnome.

Actually, my mail was all sparkly - it was the snowflakes after the plow clobbered the mailbox and knocked everything into the snowbank.

as if it were not enough Duluth is getting another dumping. 6" as of now with a total expected of 10-12 inches. unreal they are pulling city buses at 6:10 tonight. A big white welcome to winter.

We're gettin' it down here, too.I'm waiting for the global warming nuts to start telling me how warm it's getting here. This isn't snow, it's white packing peanuts.

Debala715 said:
I would be calling the Postmaster General of the branch every single time that mail lady failed to deliver mail. Enough complaints, she will be reassigned or fired. I would also ask the other 5 houses file complaints also.

Trust me, we've complained. My grandfather is a retired post master, and apparently it is lawful for her to not deliver our mail if she feels she will cause herself harm, or if she will have to exit her truck to put the mail in the box. If her truck tilts to one side at all because we can't plow down to the pavement, she won't deliver the mail either!!!

One year we had quite a bit of ice build up, and I had to go out with a hoe and a chisel to pluck away at the ice so that she would drive her darn truck up to the box...Remember that mail box sits on two people's property and it is there responsibility to keep it plowed, and they don't do it... and I want my mail, so I do.
Grrrrr

Oh, one more thing, it is actually 8 houses per box, I was wrong, and the only way to fix it is to convince the other 7 people to get their own personal mail boxes. For some reason, no one will confront these two neighbors about plowing out the general area around the mail box...they all want to complain, but they don't care. It's sad really...

Last edited:
The_Kitchen_Guy said:

with inflation and everything, I'd be expecting at least a buck! :)

Related to Prepare for Winter with Tips from Last Year's Inclement Weather Experience

1. How can I ensure that my home is properly insulated for the winter?

One of the best ways to prepare your home for the winter is to ensure proper insulation. Check for any cracks or gaps around windows and doors and seal them with weather stripping or caulk. You can also add insulation to your attic and basement to keep the heat from escaping.

2. What are some tips for preventing frozen pipes during the winter?

Frozen pipes can be a major issue during the winter, so it's important to take preventative measures. Insulate any exposed pipes in unheated areas, such as the basement or garage. You can also leave a faucet dripping during extremely cold temperatures to prevent the pipes from freezing.

3. How can I prepare my car for winter driving?

Winter weather can make driving conditions hazardous, so it's important to prepare your car for the season. Make sure your tires are properly inflated and have good tread. Keep an emergency kit in your car with items like a snow shovel, ice scraper, and jumper cables. It's also a good idea to have your car serviced before the winter to ensure everything is in working order.

4. What should I do to protect my outdoor plants during the winter?

Extreme cold temperatures can be harmful to outdoor plants. To protect them, cover them with burlap or a frost cloth. You can also mulch around the base of the plants to provide insulation. If possible, bring potted plants indoors or to a sheltered area.

5. How can I save on heating costs during the winter?

Heating costs can add up during the winter, but there are ways to save money. Lower the thermostat a few degrees and wear warmer clothing indoors. Keep curtains or blinds closed at night to prevent heat from escaping. You can also invest in a programmable thermostat to regulate the temperature when you're not home.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
2 3
Replies
Views
katie0128
  • jdavis
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
jdavis