• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Winter Woes: Dealing With Unwelcome Cold Weather

In summary, the weather has been cold and snowy in the past few days in the US. Although it is warming up a bit, it is still below freezing at night.
jdavis
I know you were in a sharing mood this week, but you could have kept the cold weather all to yourself. UGHH!!!!! Yesterday morning it started in here, ice, sleet, and then snow, was still spitting off and on today too, and supposed to be here still tomorrow.:rolleyes: They started telling people at 10 yesterday morning that if they wanted to go ahead and leave from work they could, by lunch time there weren't many people left, it was pretty darn quiet. But I actually got to sleep in with this weather, that's all I want to do, I haven't even dared to go outside today, I have been piddling around, playing on the computer, doing housework and took a VERY relaxing and LONG soak in the tub. I have 2 pairs of socks on, lol, I just can't seem to get them to stay warm.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I had to get my car started and actually get dressed and leave my house!! The weather had to go somewhere to get my car running... sorry it was you Jennifer!!

Last edited:
Hmm, and the last 2 days has been freezing for San Deigo Weather standards, like 27-29 degrees at night! Finally some winterery weather for us SoCal peeps!

It was -30 to -15 the past few days, but yesterday it FINALLY "warmed up" to 20!! We still go sub-zero at night, but at least my car starts once it is 10 or 15 degrees.

Ya know I saw weather reports yesterday and wondered to myself how the heck do you live in -degree weather!!?? We complain about 50degrees!! I just could not even imagine! Wanna come vist me and our usual 80-90 / 360 days of the year!

It is snowing a little here and we are getting more tomorrow and Monday, Finally. The tempurature here had been about in the 20-30 and below 0 at night. We are all starting to complain here about it being cold but it seems like people here are always complaining about something.

I do Heather!!!!! I HATE COLD!!!!! I don't like it to get under 40, there's no way I could EVER live in Alaska. Did I mention I hate cold?!

I just stay inside as much as possible...it takes 45 mins to get my 3 and 1.5 year old's cold weather stuff on, just to take it off in the heated store, then put it back on, yada, yada. It is much easier to stay home in my jammies!!

jdavis said:
I do Heather!!!!! I HATE COLD!!!!! I don't like it to get under 40, there's no way I could EVER live in Alaska. Did I mention I hate cold?!
Hey! We get up to 75 degrees 3 days in July!!

gilliandanielle said:
Hey! We get up to 75 degrees 3 days in July!!

If & when I ever retire, Alaska is where I want to be, or NH,VT or Maine! Nothing like a chill to make you feel alive! Right now its about 50 outside & my DH has the heat set on 70!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

heat123 said:
Ya know I saw weather reports yesterday and wondered to myself how the heck do you live in -degree weather!!?? We complain about 50degrees!! I just could not even imagine! Wanna come vist me and our usual 80-90 / 360 days of the year!

Yeah I miss So Cal when it gets cold here too..............

We turn off our heat from May to September and the outside temps usually fluctuate from 45-65.

gilliandanielle said:
It was -30 to -15 the past few days, but yesterday it FINALLY "warmed up" to 20!! We still go sub-zero at night, but at least my car starts once it is 10 or 15 degrees.

I have no idea how you do this on a regular basis! In WI we will have up to -15 (with windchill) in the winter for a week or so but then it warms up. This has been a very mild winter for us it's 30 out. Today it was colder, I don't mind the cold I would just like some snow to go with it! Then I get to test out my new winter boots and use the snowblower :D

Cold weather!!I look forward to the cold weather. It is a nice change from the above 100degree weather we will start getting in May or June. Our winter pretty much consists of cold fronts. Our Thanksgiving and Christmas were pretty pathetic in the 70's. I always prefer cold holidays but in TX we don't usually get them.

Thanks Gillian for sending some of that winter chill my way!!! ;)

I was told we are having a winter storm coming this week and temperatures are getting to the low 20's. It has been raining so hopefully it will get so cold we will get to see some snow. It's a possibility according to the weather man.

My kids have never felt or seen real snow. That would be neat. My poor husband has to work outside so he will be cold, but he is tough!! He never complains!!
I stay home in that weather too but if it snows we are bundling up and heading out to at least touch it before it melts away!!! :p

Debbie :D

I was thinking of you Jennifer! I saw that it's icy down in your part of the state; we still haven't gotten much here. A little snow/sleet mix yesterday, they say by tonite we're supposed to have about 5 inches of snow.

It feels a little warmer this morning, but still not warm. But hey, it's not snowing or anything either, so I'm good, lol.

I am feeling for you guys...UGGG i don't msiss the snow...ICK... I love throwing on a tank and shorts for the day. Its nice at christmas......but that is it

Ughh, I just had to open my mouth, errr, use my fingers and type, lol. Now it is sleeting AGAIN!!!!! Just when I was beginning to see the bright side.

Hey all you cheffer ladies who want some warm weather are welcome to casa de Isackson here in san diego -we can have a cheffer party!!!

Oh geez, my husband would go insane, he would run away to the zoo, lol. He wants to see the San Diego Zoo so bad.

HMMM, maybe they will take him, I mean keep him, lol.

I think I will visit each of you for a few days, and stay a little bit longer with Heather and Jill!!

The best thing about Alaska being cold is NO BUGS!! We have horrible mosquitos in the summer, but I can't handle roaches and termites and all that other "stuff"!!

Well we do have a big termite problem that infest our wood structures (if you live in my area especially) but no big misquitos or anything swarming in droves any time of year really. So It's safe to visit Gill!

It wouldn't stop me, I just love being able to leave dirty dishes out and not have bugs in it after a day...

So when you comin? Hee-hee! Are you a native Alaskan? Have you ever been to CA? I'd love to travel the states someday! DH wants an RV when we retire to see the USA!

I am a born and raised Alaskan! We drove down the Pacific Coast Highway about 7 years ago. We spent the night in Simi Valley, but then went to Vegas. I have been to Nevada and Arizona a lot too.

My aunt lives in Arizona. I also have a friend out there and in AZ they pay monthly for Pest Control. It is comparable to us paying for landscaping. They don't have lawns in AZ but they have a lot of NASTY bugs like tarantulas and scorpions. I couldn't deal with that. I scream when I see a tiny spider.:( :eek:

~~Shuddering~~ YUCK!! I can't handle spiders and whip out my Dyson ASAP!! I love the laid back lifestyle in AK. No homeowners associations telling me what I can do with my own property! If I don't want to mow my lawn for a month, I don't have to!

Well fortunately we don't have an HOA in our neighborhood, as it is almost 30 years old. But the newer home neighborhoods have some ridiculous codes to adhere to. Like don't park on the streets, no flags hung, lawns must be mowed and maintained etc. What a joke and you have to pay for them to tell you all this! Pleazze give me a break!

:eek: I could never live like that, especially after growing up without it! I am the lady that leaves her garbage can at the end of the driveway all week:eek:

yeah- we'd be fined if we had those codes too, our trash Cans are left out for at least 2-3 days after pick up!

I know my neighbors and know they don't care, but they would applaud if they saw my trash can in after 2-3 day, LOL!

Wow! I live in Germany along the same latitude as Maine. At this point everyone is usually headed to the Alps. Not this year. There is snow in some extreme areas but not even a flurry of snow here that I've seen. It's really weird b/c we had flurries in June!!!!! Go Figure! Wierd! Our high today was 50.
Melissa

Yahoo! We have a winter storm warning in effect, and may have 8 inches by morning! I love living where we have 4 distinct (usually) seasons. I lived in SC for 5 years, and was so homesick for the changing seasons. And the Roaches! I'm with you Gillian! We have mosquitos....but that is nothing compared to the giant roaches - and there is NOTHING like turning on the light in your kitchen or bathroom in the middle of the night to see the roaches scrambling back down the drain. I managed a bookstore while I lived there, and the roaches (who love the glue on the tape on book boxes!) were a disgusting problem - even with monthly pest control! Don't miss 'em one bit!

I think my car registered 50 at 3pm yesterday! Chilly !

Decisions, Decisions, It just came up that work was cancelled tomorrow. I already knew hubby's work was cancelled, and kids' school was cancelled, but now my work also. I called the machine and it said one department was definately cancelled, but the rest are all voluntary, so now I have to decide, we do really need the money, but do I want to drive in it, or make hubby get up and drive me? I don't think he trusts me too much on this, lol, even though he made me go to the store earlier since yesterday I made him run up there and AH's (my 2 older children's father if you knew him you would understand why I call him this, everyone who meets him does, lol) wife had to check him out, lol, she has the hots for him from the way she has acted toward him and I give him crap about it, lol. So, I guess it will be decided when the alarm goes off in about 6 hours, ughh, now off to bed.

Screw work and stay home with us!!

Gillian my aunt lives in wasilla I wonder if you know her. Audrey she lives on Iriquois

I don't think I know anyone named Audrey, but the six degrees of separation are pretty neat!!

UGHH, hubby and kids get to stay home AGAIN tomorrow! I went ahead and went to work today, not a lot of people, in my department there were I think 10 people and I think there are about 100 employed in my department. I think it was about the same ratio in every department. Some of them didn't call in to see if they had finally cancelled at 9 last night, they called before, or there wouldn't have been that many.

How cold is it there Jennifer? Or is it the snow?

Here is what I woke up to this morning:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Gilliandanielle/100_2349.jpg

I just can't think of anything to say.........

I am just glad she didn't get mad I was out there!!

Luckily I live an hour south of my hometown, but my poor mom doesn't have power, as of yesterday morning...and they are estimating at least Thursday night before it's back! There was so much freezing rain that trees were down everywhere, falling on lines...and the poles themselves are down everywhere! It is right about 0, and she is an RN in the home health care field...she is out driving in between houses all day long...poor her! Now if it was snow....I would love it, because I have a new snowmobile this year that I haven't been able to ride.....figures why we have had such a warm winter so far for upstate New York!!

How cool to have natural wildlife and snow out of your window first thing when you wake up! Like scenes from a movie!

The funny thing is I was actually going to bring in my trash can from yesterday when I saw her. I ran back in, got my camera, took her pic, then ran back in again!!

THat's cool Gill! My uncle that works up at Prudoe Bay always brings home pics of moose & caribou, etc; I love to see those pics!
My parents have had a family of bobcats hanging around their house. They have gotten some really cool pics of them playing in the snow, and drinking out of my mom's bird baths. They are really pretty.

That's cool Gill, my kids would have flipped out excited and scared the thing off, lmao!I was told it was a whole 1 degree this morning on the way to work, I haven't looked at a temp myself though. The problem around here is the ice all over the ground and here in podunkville and all around the only things that are clear are the major highways, since we don't really have the equipment to clean up all this yuck it's pretty slow around these parts. I already looked about an hour ago for cancellations and they have already called off schools for tomorrow, UGHH, hopefully they won't call off hubby's work AGAIN, we can't afford that crap, my work was up and running today but IMO the roads were worse this morning than they were yesterday morning, there were missing people, but I don't think many more than usual. I think it is supposed to get kind of warm then get snowing again, UGHH, just go away already!!!!!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
Replies
Views
pcchefjane
Back