• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Winter Storms: Experiences from the East Coast

In summary,The author has driven home from Ravenna to Akron, Ohio, which usually takes 30 minutes, but took twice that long due to the snow. There is a foot or more of snow on the author's porch, and a car is stuck on the street in front of the author's house.
buckeyefan08
I know there are a lot of states being affected by the snow so I thought I'd ask how it's going. Since yesterday around 11 am we have gotten about 1-1 1/2 feet of snow. We are expecting another 6-10in. today, this on top all the ice from the ice storm on Wed. has made it interesting. Last night we actually had "Thunder Snow"! It was about 5am and the thunder was so loud I thought a tree fell on my house!

Our first good snow of the year and we only got 1". :( My kids stayed with their grandparents about 20 minutes away and I think they got about 4" (more what I was hoping for).

I am in Cincy and over here we have about 10-12 inches and it is still coming down. We are being told not to be out on the roads unless necessary or we will be ticketed. I'm glad my kids b-day party is not today!! My daughter Regan is 2 today!!

It is WINDY (up to 30 mph gusts) here and snowing (not really sticking yet though). It's so windy that the snow is coming in side-ways....guess it's a blessing that I don't have a show today.

Rainy and windy in the garden state. The shopping malls will be crowded today!

This is the most snow we've had in this area in several years. We have over a foot now and a few more inches expected by the day's end. This is the first time my kids have ever gone sled riding! We are all so excited.

vwpamperedchef said:
Rainy and windy in the garden state. The shopping malls will be crowded today!
Oh yes the good old garden state . . .I want some snow that lasts long enough to make it outside and play in it with the kids.:grumpy: I don't mind the rain but it time for some snow. I remeber the huge snow storm we had in I think it was either 94 or 95 and they called a state of emergency oh is was beautiful...

I hope those of you that are getting nasty weather take caution on the roads and be safe.

Ahhh, for once, another part of the country is getting "weather".:) It's cold here - but sunny! I love seeing the sun, and it doesn't happen too often here in the winter.

I would love to go to a mall but we are under a snow emergancy so while going to the mall would be considered a neccesity for me, I doubt the police would see it that way :) LOL

buckeyefan08 said:
I know there are a lot of states being affected by the snow so I thought I'd ask how it's going. Since yesterday around 11 am we have gotten about 1-1 1/2 feet of snow. We are expecting another 6-10in. today, this on top all the ice from the ice storm on Wed. has made it interesting. Last night we actually had "Thunder Snow"! It was about 5am and the thunder was so loud I thought a tree fell on my house!
When I first read this, I thought it said 11 1/2 feet of snow! Whoops.

Anyway, right now it's sunny, but cold. Our snow (9") from Tuesday has mostly melted so everything is a sloppy mess. Except when it refreezes at night.

I'm so ready for SPRING!!!

11½ feet of snow would have to be Houghton, Michigan. :DUsed to was, when I traveled, I would put the morning network shows on the hotel television for noise. (Now I listen to the back-home radio station on Internet Streaming.) Anyway...I lost all respect for the network shows because whenever Ohio, Indiana, Chicago, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, etc. would get 18" of snow, to the network morning shows, it was "...a snowstorm" and that was it.Of course, if New York City were to get 8" of snow, that was suddenly a life-threatening blizzard.So, for those of you who are in Flyover, Ohio, take solace in the knowledge that, according to the networks in New York, you just got a little bit of snow.

I drove the Miracle Car home from Ravenna to Akron early last evening. It's a journey that usually takes 30 minutes flat.

It took twice that long. Now usually, M.C. handles very well in the snow and I am itching to pass the slowpokes. That day, I was the one slowing to a crawl, doing 30 to 40 mph on the highway and freaking out every time I saw a vehicle in a ditch.

Anyway ... there is a foot or more of the white stuff on my porch ... it's up to the bumper of Miracle Car, and there is a CAR STUCK ON THE STREET in front of my neighbor's house.

At this point I'm worried about getting to my show tomorrow afternoon.

The snow has stopped for now but I know we aren't in the clear yet! If your show is in the afternoon tomarrow it might be ok. Make some reminder calls today, most everyone should be home, unless they work with my DH!

Thank God we didn't get that storm you got hit with buckeyefan08! I am in NE Indiana the weather man had said the whole day we were gonna get it then all the sudden late at night he dropped us off it and we didn't get ANYTHING. We have been hit with saome MAJOR storms here lately. I love snow but I don't want anymore. Bring on spring!

We have 12 inches and it's still snowing! I heard it could be 50...okay...I already forgot how to get the degree symbol up.

I guess that's what I'll try to learn today!

As long as we're sharing war stories...several years ago, I was working a job in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, the home of Leinenkugel's and exactly 100 miles straight east of the Mall of America. I absolutely had to be home to Milwaukee on Saturday. It started snowing heavily in western Wisconsin in the morning, and by 3 in the afternoon, we just closed the office and everyone left. I was driving my trusty front-wheel drive A-body and got on I-94. Snow was already accumulated 7 or 8" but I slid in (literally) behind a bus. Those busses ("Motor coaches" - the owners get really upset when you call them busses) have the best traction of any vehicle on the highway. The weight is all over the driving wheels in back, and nothing stops them. I just got into his wheel tracks and almost had trouble keeping up with him. We were going about 45-50 mph and passing cars like Paul Newman. About every ¾ of a mile, there was a vehicle in the ditch and every single one of them was an SUV. I lost the bus somewhere around Tomah, and somewhere around the Wisconsin Dells, the driver side wiper arm flew off, but got stuck in the snow on the roof so I was able to recover it. It was broken beyond repair, but by that time, the snow had stopped and only mad dogs and Irishmen were out on that highway. I just had to pull over once and awhile and wipe off the windshield with the old wiper blade.I got home safe and sound - although it took me about 9 hours to make what is usually a 5 hour drive.

Stephanie Fisher said:
Thank God we didn't get that storm you got hit with buckeyefan08! I am in NE Indiana the weather man had said the whole day we were gonna get it then all the sudden late at night he dropped us off it and we didn't get ANYTHING. We have been hit with saome MAJOR storms here lately. I love snow but I don't want anymore. Bring on spring!

You are lucky...there are several southern IN counties under state of emergency!

We down in SOuth AL was suppose to get 1-2 inches of snow last night and was looking forward to waking up to it. Did not happen. It is colder but the sun is out and no snow in sight.

Talked to my SIL in western GA and she said the same thing but while we were having an ice storm on Wed. it was 65 and sunny!

ChefBeckyD said:
Ahhh, for once, another part of the country is getting "weather".:) It's cold here - but sunny! I love seeing the sun, and it doesn't happen too often here in the winter.

Becky,

I knew you'd be on here saying the same thing. Cold but SUNNY!!!! It's a gorgeous day. :thumbup:

At the moment we're buried under 17 inches and its still falling. The wind is blowing 25-30 miles per hour. My street hasn't been plowed at all yet. Only the post office is open and police are ticketing anyone who goes out. My DH got a ticket on his way to work (which ended up closing before he got there). I'm tired of winter.

I am in Central KY, we have about 2-4 inches on the ground, snow drift at my back door of about a foot and I was not prepaired.....they has said over and over that we was going to get a ton of snow and nothing ever happens and I always rush to the store for baby nes. well.....this time I figured would be like all the other times and we would get a dust and be gone by the afternoon.....nope....as someone else said we had Thunder-snow" lst night and well....I'm now snowed in :( I will always be prepaired from this point forward....should have known....oh and all this snow has delayed me from getting my kit for 2 days...yes I am erked about this!

For all those with shows be safe!

Patti: Where is Englewood? I to am from Ohio and it seems like we have the same things going on. As far as I know DH didn't get ant tickets for being on the road but I'm worried about him getting home. My brother just left, he came to plow. You couldn't tell DH shoveled last night. My brother made a good guess that DH was working and I was here snowed in. He said he didn't want me out there shoveling so DH could get in, I'm having a baby in two weeks! Who knew he could be so thoughtful!!! LOL! I wish this baby would come any day now... just not today!!!!

We are sitting here with about 15 inches of snow...more coming down (supposed to get another 8-12 inches this afternoon) and blizzard conditions coming! We won't be going ANYWHERE at least until Monday! Even once the snow stops, the wind will be creating dangerous snow drifting!

Stay safe and warm everyone!

Stuck in a rainy mess - started last night and hasn't stopped - winds are pretty intense at times - BUT, its better then snow!! Bring on the summer!!!!!

Englewood is just north of Dayton right along I-70 about twenty miles from the Indiana border. Its a small town with not much to do anyway. This ensured that we won't be going anywhere soon.

paroese said:
Englewood is just north of Dayton right along I-70 about twenty miles from the Indiana border. Its a small town with not much to do anyway. This ensured that we won't be going anywhere soon.

I am originally from Brookville, so I know just where you are. Now I live about 30 minutes north of Columbus. I was just in Englewood/Brookville this past Thursday night for a show.
We have probably around a foot of snow. We are under a level 3 snow emergency and I hate being told that I can't go anywhere!!!
I am suppose to go to Mansfield, Ohio tomorrow (about an hour from my house) to see Hairspray. The tickets were $40 and I hate to loose that much money. I wonder if they will cancel.

I am in North Olmsted, 20 minutes from Cleveland. It's been snowing here since 11 am Friday. I am so tired of this snow~ no one is supposed to go on the roads. My husband is going to walk to Giant Eagle for supplies to make the taco ring tonight. We had plans to go out for my Birthday today, but had to postpone them. At least we have some food and are warm and cozy:thumbup: We need to look on the positive side don't we?

Stay in, heat things up and "Celebrate" your birthday with your hubby!! What else is there to do on a night like tonight?
(This coming from one of the pregnant girls! LOL!)

My teenager convinced my husband to take him to a friends house and he said the roads are ok, but not super great, we are still under a snow emergancy, but a teenager that has to stay home with his mom and step-dad on a Saturday night is a bigger emergency ( and appears to be the end of the world when you are 15). Luckily our neighbor is a cop :)

snow in Cleveland areabeen snow-plowing and shoveling all day here it seems...From Elyria, Ohio just west of Cleveland! My hubby tore his achilles tendon last tuesday during a snow day (he is a principal for a middle school and was horsing around with our 3 boys at his gym..Had surgery last friday and has been laid up since...My 15 yr. old boy was stuck at a friends house so I got the pleasure of snow blowing the 15 inches of snow...not to mention the drifts. I am so tired! I had a show scheduled for Friday..cancelled but she already has $500 in outside orders...had a show for today scheduled...rescheduled for the sat. before Easter...Have a show for tomorrow that we're planning on doing...hope this snow stops...Be thankful you southerns!!!! We have to try and work our shows around our crazy weather....
PS all our malls closed up today

I am in Mentor, OH which is about 20 minutes from Downtown Cleveland. We have about 2 feet of snow here. It started yesterday at about noon and hasn't stopped. I am so ready for Spring! :grumpy:

SnowVote.jpg

Lots of rain and pretty intense winds. I woke up today and found my weeping willow tree down all around my husbands car. This car is 15 years old.

Last edited:
I'd say that car has led a pretty charmed life.

http://www.aolcdn.com/aolnews_photos/02/02/20080308163809990008Look at the girl in Columbus - walking in the snow wearing tennis shoes and a cell phone in her ear!"OMG, it, like, you know, snowed here and we've got, like you know, all this white, you know, like stuff, you know, here and I can hardly, you know, like walk because they, you know, haven't like, plowed my street, you know?"

60 here on the coast of NC - 70 yesterday. Supposed to be back in the 70's after today - I've already broken out my flip-flops!!! :)

Oh, you're gonna be real popular with the folks in Ohio.
aug08_032.gif
And the whining will commence in...3...2...1...

Last edited:
my weatherwell. it's not snowing here I am sorry to say. I would love to see some snow, but it would shut down the whole town if it did.
Anyway. When the cold front was coming through the area it was so weird. You didn't need to hear the radio or see the tv to know we might be getting a tornando. We didn't get one but there were some around.

Well, dangnabit, I was sure the Ohio folks would have have been all over Cindy.They must all be outside...http://www.aolcdn.com/aolnews_photos/0a/02/20080308163709990010
http://www.aolcdn.com/aolnews_photos/01/03/20080308163809990001

Cindycooks said:
60 here on the coast of NC - 70 yesterday. Supposed to be back in the 70's after today - I've already broken out my flip-flops!!! :)
Yeah...it must suck to be you! <smiley with his tongue sticking out>

There, KG, the whining has commenced....;)

I knew I could count on you!And...here's the smiley you were looking for:
a_takethatfoo.gif

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k262/mrsford7/blinky/bliss.gif

That's me...helping out whenever I can!

letscook04 said:
Lots of rain and pretty intense winds. I woke up today and found my weeping willow tree down all around my husbands car. This car is 15 years old.

Colleen - HOLY MOLY!!! Guess its better then your Durango!! LOL! My willows didnt fall thank goodness - but - yes - it was intense last night!! Sorry 'bout Stew's car - Oy Vey!! Let me know if you need anything!!

FYI all - We had Beautiful weather today - once the winds stopped!!! Bring the summer on!!!

PamperedDor said:
Colleen - HOLY MOLY!!! Guess its better then your Durango!! LOL! My willows didnt fall thank goodness - but - yes - it was intense last night!! Sorry 'bout Stew's car - Oy Vey!! Let me know if you need anything!!

FYI all - We had Beautiful weather today - once the winds stopped!!! Bring the summer on!!!

Oh yeah, I am glad that it was not my durango!! What was funny is that I wished it did damaged his car because I can get a couple of bucks for it!! LOL :D

PamperedDor said:

It was in tents? :eek: What are you doing out camping in that weather?

Here are some photos of our weather. Thankfully the roads are clear now!

This shows how much snow was on our deck:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t24/KellyTheChef/SnowfallMarch2008showsdeck.jpg

Sean making a snow fort:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t24/KellyTheChef/SnowfortSeanMarch2008.jpg

Had to shovel a path for the dog...it was too tall for her to walk! Her legs are over a foot long!

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t24/KellyTheChef/JohnSeanandStellainsnowMarch2008.jpg

The snow pile is bigger than Evan! (well...almost! :D )

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t24/KellyTheChef/EvannexttosnowdriftMarch2008.jpg

Me and my little helper cleaning off Daddy's car!

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t24/KellyTheChef/EvanandMommycleaningoffDadscar.jpg

That pic of Evan is just adorable - that's a potential photo contest prize winner!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
It was in tents? :eek: What are you doing out camping in that weather?

Always the comic!!!:p

<h2>1. How much snow has the East Coast received so far?</h2><p>As of yesterday at 11 am, the East Coast has received approximately 1-1 1/2 feet of snow. </p><h2>2. How much more snow is the East Coast expecting?</h2><p>The East Coast is expected to receive another 6-10 inches of snow today, on top of the snow from the previous storm.</p><h2>3. What other weather conditions have been affecting the East Coast?</h2><p>In addition to the snow, the East Coast has also experienced an ice storm on Wednesday. </p><h2>4. What is "Thunder Snow"?</h2><p>"Thunder Snow" is a rare phenomenon where thunder and lightning occur during a snowstorm. It is caused by the same conditions that produce regular thunderstorms, but with snow instead of rain. </p><h2>5. How has the snow and ice affected everyday life on the East Coast?</h2><p>The heavy snow and ice have made it difficult for people to travel and caused power outages in some areas. Many schools and businesses have also been closed due to the weather. </p>

1. How much snow has the East Coast received so far?

As of yesterday at 11 am, the East Coast has received approximately 1-1 1/2 feet of snow.

2. How much more snow is the East Coast expecting?

The East Coast is expected to receive another 6-10 inches of snow today, on top of the snow from the previous storm.

3. What other weather conditions have been affecting the East Coast?

In addition to the snow, the East Coast has also experienced an ice storm on Wednesday.

4. What is "Thunder Snow"?

"Thunder Snow" is a rare phenomenon where thunder and lightning occur during a snowstorm. It is caused by the same conditions that produce regular thunderstorms, but with snow instead of rain.

5. How has the snow and ice affected everyday life on the East Coast?

The heavy snow and ice have made it difficult for people to travel and caused power outages in some areas. Many schools and businesses have also been closed due to the weather.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• MissChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lmonninger
Replies
Views
pclinskie
  • janetupnorth
  • General Chat
Replies