• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Repent! Repent! the White Death Is Coming! - the Sequel

In summary, the National Weather Service is issuing a winter storm watch for the Midwest. They are predicting 6 to 13 inches of snow, with the highest amounts possible in southeastern Wisconsin. Strong winds may cause blowing and drifting snow. Those with travel plans Sunday and Sunday evening should keep up with the latest forecasts.
Mighta been. It was billed as a Conference center, but that just meant they had 2 conference rooms off the lobby. Our room had a balcony, and the doorwall didn't lock securely - kinda scary.

I wouldn't expect the natives to know much about the motels - I know there are three chain places within 2 miles of my house (SuperAmericCountryInn8) but other than reputation of the chains, I have no idea what they're like because I've never set foot in any of them.Probably not much different from any of those brands I've stayed in around the midwest.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Nah, the driveway didn't do it.

It was the new lawn mower.

I don't have one of those yet.

And now I'm afraid to buy one. It may rain for days on end, making my grass freakishly long.

chefann said:
Mighta been. It was billed as a Conference center, but that just meant they had 2 conference rooms off the lobby. Our room had a balcony, and the doorwall didn't lock securely - kinda scary.

Until last year (the year before?) there were only two places to stay in Niles. The Golden Eagle or the Holiday Inn/Niles Conference Center.

I would not send my worst enemy to the Golden Eagle and the other isn't much better. Ann, you must have been at the Niles Conference Inn. (Probably had a different name at the time).

We now also have a Holiday Inn Express. If you have to spend the night in Niles (you don't want to make that 15 minute trip to South Bend), this is the place to stay.

Jean DeVries said:
I don't have one of those yet.

And now I'm afraid to buy one. It may rain for days on end, making my grass freakishly long.
No, buying a snowblower would cause that.

When I finally broke down and bought a new John Deere lawn tractor with a 54" deck and a 42" snowblower, we immediately went into a drought. I think I mowed my lawn 8 times in the first two years I owned it and used the snowblower even less. It's been 8 years and I think it finally went over 100 hours last Summer.

But it's sure earned it's keep in the last month or so.

chefjeanine said:
Until last year (the year before?) there were only two places to stay in Niles. The Golden Eagle or the Holiday Inn/Niles Conference Center.

I would not send my worst enemy to the Golden Eagle and the other isn't much better. Ann, you must have been at the Niles Conference Inn. (Probably had a different name at the time).

We now also have a Holiday Inn Express. If you have to spend the night in Niles (you don't want to make that 15 minute trip to South Bend), this is the place to stay.
Yep- we were at the Niles Inn/Conference Center. For the price of the rooms, it was adequate, but not a real high-class place. The guy who organized the trip was hobbled by the people in the club who didn't want to pay $80 a night for a room. So that's why we ended up there. We had actually spent most of the day in South Bend, and I don't know why he didn't just look for a hotel there. :rolleyes:

I guess I'm just spoiled from staying in nice hotels at Conference. ;)

Would you believe there's still a regional Model A Meet where the bulk of the attendees camp?Not me - my idea of "roughing it" is staying at a hotel that only has an outdoor pool.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Would you believe there's still a regional Model A Meet where the bulk of the attendees camp?

Not me - my idea of "roughing it" is staying at a hotel that only has an outdoor pool.

We go to a Car Show in St. Ignace, MI every June - and the Straits State Park, and Wilderness State Park, plus several other private campgrounds in the area are booked solid 6 months in advance with Show attendees.:D We already have our reservations for 10 days at Straits State Park. We do the same thing for a car show in Petoskey. MI in September.;)

So much for the white death in SW Ohio. Earlier this week it looked as if it might be a bad weekend... schools were even rightfully cancelled on Tuesday and were on a 2 hour delay on Wednesday because of all the snow that froze into ice. TODAY, however, there are still snow piles that are 2 feet high in places, but it was 52 degrees!!!! Gotta love Cincinnati weather that can't make up it's mind... NOT!!!

We have about a foot or more one the ground. 13" is good. Oswego and the Tug Hill Plateau are 30 to 40 miles south of where I live and get late effect snow frequently. It is nothing for them to to get 3 to 5 feet of snow in a 24 hour period. Me...I am one of those sick people who love the snow and winter.
Take heart, as my brother reminded me...only 34 days til spring!
spring.gif

ChefBeckyD said:
We go to a Car Show in St. Ignace, MI every June - and the Straits State Park, and Wilderness State Park, plus several other private campgrounds in the area are booked solid 6 months in advance with Show attendees.:D We already have our reservations for 10 days at Straits State Park. We do the same thing for a car show in Petoskey. MI in September.;)
I went to that car show about...well, a lot of years ago when it was still pretty much a cruise down Main Street. It's too far to go with a Model A for a weekend, so we put our '38 Ford on the car ferry, went to the show and drove home through Marinette to go home.

That's a long freakin' way in a V8 Ford, too.

Well in the past three hours, we've had over a foot of snow fall, and it's still coming down fast. My husband has duty until Monday, so if anyone wants to help snow blow me out of my house, that would be very kind! :D

Actually, I prefer the white deathIt's too warm here, so instead of snow, it's raining. The rain freezes as soon as it hits the pavement.

That isn't usually a problem, but because of the record snowfall this year, almost every community, including my own, is about out of road salt. The closest supply anyone has found is in Cincinnati, and the logistics of getting it here is the problem, because almost every community's budget for the year is used up.

You may not think that's bad, since Winter is almost over, but the budget year goes until December 31, which isn't going to leave any budget dollars for next Winter.

Instead of risking a journey on ice today, I think I'll just stay home and annoy everyone on CS.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
It's too warm here, so instead of snow, it's raining. The rain freezes as soon as it hits the pavement.

That isn't usually a problem, but because of the record snowfall this year, almost every community, including my own, is about out of road salt. The closest supply anyone has found is in Cincinnati, and the logistics of getting it here is the problem, because almost every community's budget for the year is used up.

You may not think that's bad, since Winter is almost over, but the budget year goes until December 31, which isn't going to leave any budget dollars for next Winter.

Instead of risking a journey on ice today, I think I'll just stay home and annoy everyone on Chef Success.

I just called my mom (a wee bit south of you) about 15 minutes ago and told her to stay home from church today. She said, "Why, we just got some rain.". I then had to explain what happens when water freezes...you'd think at 69 she'd know that by now...

Oh well, time to make another phone call to see if she truly heeded her daughter's warning...

Raining here this morning too, but it's 40 degrees. Hope it melts some of this stuff. Sorry for those who aren't on high ground. There's going to be a lot more flooding. Not so much here in Michigan but, our neighbor to the south (Indiana) has had some real problems as a number of Cheffers can attest to.

I don't know what to do about my show right now. It's scheduled for 3 pm, and the rain is falling and freezing, as KG said. I just tried walking down to the mailbox and the road is terrible. My show is 40 minutes away (north), where right now they're getting the same thing, but cold air and snow are going to be moving in later. My DH says CANCEL, my host said it's up to me. I have the furthest drive - everyone else is local.

I'm packed and ready to go, and we really need the money, but of course I don't want to compromise my (or the other guests') safety.

What to do, what to do...

Call the host and see what she wants to do. If she's ok with the guests coming, you can do a phone show, in which she puts you on speaker phone (that's assuming she has a few catalogs that people can share).

Thanks, Ann! I did think of that, except for one problem. I have the ingredients! She doesn't have access to a car. She does have enough for a small catty show already so that she can get the 2 items at 60% off, so we could end up rescheduling for early March.

I'm waiting for her to call me back... My kids are praying she cancels, because I have a chocolate cake sitting here ready to be made into a trifle. LOL!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
It's too warm here, so instead of snow, it's raining. The rain freezes as soon as it hits the pavement.

Instead of risking a journey on ice today, I think I'll just stay home and annoy everyone on Chef Success.

LOL! You don't annoy us (much)....we love your witty repartee (usually)!:D

We made it to church this morning...but it is raining so much, and the snow is melting, and there is no place for the water to go - the roads are covered with water - drove through several ponds to get home! Tonight, it's supposed to freeze, and the roads will become skating rinks. Our salt budget is also gone, and so is the salt......this is the craziest weather!

I am the Director for First Impressions ministries at my church - and one of my teams is a Parking Team....they have had some kind of horrible weather to deal with every Sunday of 2008.....today, they were out there helping people park their cars and walking them into church with umbrellas.....they are such an incredible group!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I went to that car show about...well, a lot of years ago when it was still pretty much a cruise down Main Street. It's too far to go with a Model A for a weekend, so we put our '38 Ford on the car ferry, went to the show and drove home through Marinette to go home.

That's a long freakin' way in a V8 Ford, too.

It's a lot of fun.....many people trailer their vehicles to the show. It now encompasses 3 days - for a few years it got really out of hand, with kids in big trucks, cruising, drinking, and causing general upheaval.....people who really cared about their cars, and didn't want them getting hurt started staying away. They now have banned alcohol at the show, and on the streets during the show, and also started cracking down HARD on people doing burn-outs in the streets. It has been much better since then - the classic cars can feel safe again!

We have a slight water problem in our dining room when the weather thaws. There's a kneewall area above it that's got some insulation problems, and the condensation comes down in the dining room, along the joints in the drywall in the ceiling. This morning, it also got behind the paint on the wall and created what we lovingly nicknamed the "wall zit." It was a big bubble of distended paint, filled with water. DH popped it and drained it. Like a giant boil. And then the other leak moved from the joint in the drywall to where the light fixture attaches. Which, of course, isn't where the bowl was to catch the drips. And it happened while we were out to breakfast. (BTW, the SS bowl set is super for catching ceiling drips!)

Well, we are now getting the official "White Death Warnings".

Telling people, not to travel, but if you must have a winter survival kit with you... Fun, fun, fun.

We had a large group of camper that were going to leave today but now are staying an extra day...probably wise!

ChefBeckyD said:
LOL! You don't annoy us (much)....we love your witty repartee (usually)!:D

We made it to church this morning...but it is raining so much, and the snow is melting, and there is no place for the water to go - the roads are covered with water - drove through several ponds to get home! Tonight, it's supposed to freeze, and the roads will become skating rinks. Our salt budget is also gone, and so is the salt......this is the craziest weather!

I am the Director for First Impressions ministries at my church - and one of my teams is a Parking Team....they have had some kind of horrible weather to deal with every Sunday of 2008.....today, they were out there helping people park their cars and walking them into church with umbrellas.....they are such an incredible group!
There are so many churches where you live that if someone can't get to their's, they can just walk across the street to another one.

We decided to cancel the show - she was starting to get people calling and canceling, so we rescheduled for the 28th. At least it will still be in this month so I'll get commission :).

All it has done here today is rain... oh, and the power went out. Not fun when you are brining hungry kids home from church and have promised them pancakes for lunch! Bleh! At least they were midly distracted when I suggested we start a fire... that took long enough for the power to come back on and for them to remind me that I needed to make pancakes. Now we are all vegging in front of the TV watching Ratatouille (sp?). It has quickly become one of my all time favorite movies!

My kids like Ratatouille too...and pancakes for any meal. :)

janetupnorth said:
My kids like Ratatouille too...and pancakes for any meal. :)
Ewwwuuuuu... I woudn't think that ratatouille would taste good on pancakes. Fruit, yes. Eggplant, no.

There's a "special weather announcement" for just south of us. It's going to be very high winds (up to 60 mph), pea sized hail...CRAZY. I went out to shovel the ice off the driveway. I looked down the street and five other people were out on their driveways doing the same. The sun was out, and the rain was gone. Everyone really just wanted to be out w/o hat and mittens and get some sun, I think. That's why I was out. Well, I did want to scrape the ice off too.

JAE said:
There's a "special weather announcement" for just south of us. It's going to be very high winds (up to 60 mph), pea sized hail...CRAZY. I went out to shovel the ice off the driveway. I looked down the street and five other people were out on their driveways doing the same. The sun was out, and the rain was gone. Everyone really just wanted to be out w/o hat and mittens and get some sun, I think. That's why I was out. Well, I did want to scrape the ice off too.

We went out and all scraped ice off the driveway this afternoon (even Micah...sorta!) We came in to eat, and as we were sitting at the table, the BIG snow plow came by (hasn't been by all week) and scraped all of the ice from the road - right into our driveway!:grumpy:

Yeah, I had a big pile of ice and slush at the end of my driveway. too. It was too heavy to do anything with. I shoved the top layer out into the road because it was too heavy to throw over the big mounds at the end of my driveway.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
There are so many churches where you live that if someone can't get to their's, they can just walk across the street to another one.

So True! I have my choice of several within walking distance....but I'd rather make the 4 mile drive to mine.:)

There are churches w/in walking distance if I want to walk 1 1/4 miles, but I don't. I actually drive about 8.5 miles to church, which takes us 15-20 minutes, and pass numerous churches along the way. Many times I've wanted somthing closer, but I'm not CRC or RCA. KWIM? Nothing against those. They just don't "fit". (I guess, we actually only pass 5 churches on the route we take. There are a few routes we could take, and other churches along those, too.)

JAE said:
There are churches w/in walking distance if I want to walk 1 1/4 miles, but I don't. I actually drive about 8.5 miles to church, which takes us 15-20 minutes, and pass numerous churches along the way. Many times I've wanted somthing closer, but I'm not CRC or RCA. KWIM? Nothing against those. They just don't "fit". (I guess, we actually only pass 5 churches on the route we take. There are a few routes we could take, and other churches along those, too.)

Obviously, I know exactly what you mean...since my church is the same denom. as yours.;) It's so important to find your "fit".

It was in the 40s today when we left for church, so the rainfall didn't bother us . . . until we got to church.We park by the old church (where some of the Sunday school classes meet) and walk on the blacktopped path through the cemetery and across the gravel parking lot to the current church building. (That leaves the closer parking spots for the old people. We aren't willing to admit to being that yet.) It was raining hard enough for us to be using an umbrella, which caused us to walk very close and cozy. We noticed lots of slick slush on the blacktopped path and commented on how surprising it was, since the path had been clear last week. That's when I stepped onto a clear patch of ice in the parking lot. I was really glad that The Furry Guy had his arm securely around me. He kept me from falling and bruising both my tushie and my dignity. :)

My dh drops me off because I don't want to mess up my hair in the wind (and today, rain)! :)
The roads were pretty bad in neighborhoods that we had to go through. Main roads were just very wet.

dianevill said:
We decided to cancel the show - she was starting to get people calling and canceling, so we rescheduled for the 28th. At least it will still be in this month so I'll get commission :).

Sorry to hear it was cancelled, but great it's still this month:)!

JAE said:

Been working on the potty-training thing today... my mind went where it shouldn't have with this one!

chefann said:
Ewwwuuuuu... I woudn't think that ratatouille would taste good on pancakes. Fruit, yes. Eggplant, no.

Topping pancakes or waffles with apple/berry salsa that has been marinating for a bit = YUM!!!

katie0128 said:
Been working on the potty-training thing today... my mind went where it shouldn't have with this one!
You must really be in a mood today. I just read your post about the beverage through the nose!

It's all Ann's fault... not sure why, but I'm blaming it on her!

It's all my fault, apparently.

Hope you don't mind me joining in here, but I just read this thread and it's making me *seriously* homesick for MI... :( I'm pretty new here, but have been loving this site since I found it. I just discovered the Chef's lounge, and I guess I should probably do a "Hi, my name is..." over there.

But anyway... I moved here to Ohio about 4 years after living in AA (do the GR people know about AA or A2?) for 7 years, but my DH's family are almost all in in the GR area (Middleville, Caledonia, Lowell, Grandville). DH worked for a company in Holland for a while too. I will always consider myself a Michigander not an Ohioian (Ohioer? What's the word?!), despite the fact that I am actually English!! We're always talking about moving back to MI. Next trip will be for Easter, not too long now! And I can't wait for our next trip to the Meijer Gardens. Just love the children's garden :) And all that talk of Niles brings back memories of countless trip on I-94 to Chicago... I've never stopped there, but I'd always see that exit and think of Frasier...

Right here it is pouring with rain, hopefully melting the ice-rinks around us before it all freezes again tomorrow... It is blowing pretty hard now too.

Anyway, hope you are all safe and warm, and don't mind me saying a quick hello.

AnnieBee

I don't know what AA or A2 mean. AA is alcoholics anonymous. A2 is in the vending machine.
Please, explain.

JAE- it's Ann Arbor!!AnnieBee, I'm about 45 minutes to an hour from Ann Arbor, in the Detroit area. Any time you need a MI fix, you can come up for a visit. I've actually got a regular group of customers in Ypsilanti/Saline, just outside Ann Arbor.

Thanks for clarifying, Ann. I was thinking GR area. Ada? Allendale? Couldn't figure it out.

AnnieBee,

If you ever stop in Niles, you'll find the only thing that reminds you of Frasier is the name. :rolleyes: Thanks for making me laugh.

Hey Chef Ann, GO BLUE!! Sorry, after 4 years of hearing the Ohio State stuff from "friends" :) around here, I needed to say that! I know Ypsi and Saline well. My SIL lives in Ypsi - I'd give you her info (or vice-versa), except that I'd like to do a show for her myself if she wants one :)

OK, I need to stay away from the smilies... Anyway, It's been a a while since I've been able to visit that area, most of our family stuff end up around GR. We miss the wonderfull AA restaurants, the river, the arb, Tiger's games, Stucchi's ice-cream! However I do not miss grad school or football Saturdays (awful traffic) :) I'd love to end up back in that area.

So where exactly are you located?

JAE - sorry for the confusion - I've got good friends in Allendale too. Sigh. I miss MI...

Jeanine - Always happy to make someone smile. I'll remember to not stop in Niles!

No need to apologize for my confusion. I get confused often.

Me, I *never* get confused. Wait, what were we just talking about? Is it snowing somewhere? I think I need A2 from the vending machine :balloon:

I'm never confused about chocolate :)

AnnieBee - where are you in Ohio?

<h2>1. What is the National Weather Service predicting for this upcoming storm?</h2><p>The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm watch for Sunday morning through Sunday evening, with snow amounts ranging from 6 to 13 inches and strong winds causing possible blowing and drifting snow.</p><h2>2. How does this forecast compare to last year's prediction?</h2><p>Last year, a similar dire prediction was made, but the actual snowfall was not as severe as expected.</p><h2>3. What areas will be most affected by this storm?</h2><p>The highest snowfall amounts are expected in southeast Wisconsin, with slightly lower amounts possible to the northwest.</p><h2>4. How should people with travel plans prepare for this storm?</h2><p>Those with travel plans on Sunday and Sunday evening should stay updated on the latest forecasts and be prepared for potential road closures and delays due to snow and strong winds.</p><h2>5. When did the original thread with the "Repent! Repent!" title start and what was its purpose?</h2><p>The original thread was started almost exactly a year ago and its purpose was to mock the overly dramatic prediction of a giant snowfall by the weather service. The title of the thread is a reference to a popular phrase used by doomsday preachers.</p>

1. What is the National Weather Service predicting for this upcoming storm?

The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm watch for Sunday morning through Sunday evening, with snow amounts ranging from 6 to 13 inches and strong winds causing possible blowing and drifting snow.

2. How does this forecast compare to last year's prediction?

Last year, a similar dire prediction was made, but the actual snowfall was not as severe as expected.

3. What areas will be most affected by this storm?

The highest snowfall amounts are expected in southeast Wisconsin, with slightly lower amounts possible to the northwest.

4. How should people with travel plans prepare for this storm?

Those with travel plans on Sunday and Sunday evening should stay updated on the latest forecasts and be prepared for potential road closures and delays due to snow and strong winds.

5. When did the original thread with the "Repent! Repent!" title start and what was its purpose?

The original thread was started almost exactly a year ago and its purpose was to mock the overly dramatic prediction of a giant snowfall by the weather service. The title of the thread is a reference to a popular phrase used by doomsday preachers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
2 3
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates