• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Repent! Repent! the White Death Is Coming!

In summary, the conversation started with a mention of a Winter storm watch in effect for South Central and Southeast Wisconsin, with potential for heavy snowfall and strong winds. It was noted that this was a common occurrence in other Midwestern states. The conversation then shifted to the speaker's skepticism towards weather forecasts and the tendency for school systems to cancel school unnecessarily. The conversation ended with a humorous exchange about condiments and a mention of hail in Iowa.
don't you love how they still can't get a forecast right!

Round two has started. i just heard the plow truck go by and not more than 1/2 hour goes by and in starts the snow and blowing again.lol lets see how much the totals are by Monday

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I know. A few years ago, a friend of mine (who was 67 at the time) was late for a social event we attended together. He apologized for his tardiness and said, "I caught Dad outside, chopping ice from the front sidewalk. I didn't think a 93 year old man should be chopping ice, so I went and did it for him."

I said, "DON! A SIXTY SEVEN year old man shouldn't be outside, chopping ice from the sidewalk!"

He got kind of a sheepish look on his face and said, "I guess you're right."

Don's in his eighties now, but he lives in Florida in the Winter.

The irony is my mom is currently 67 - LOL!

Okay we are still getting ice in Iowa. It's raining and then freezing. Now our lights are beginning to flicker. :mad:

pamperedharriet said:
don't you love how they still can't get a forecast right!

This reminds me of the joke at my work. Our marketing manager likes to "reforecast" her weeks forecast AFTER the week has occurred then publish it for everyone as her revised forecast and file that. That's called HISTORY not a forecast!!!! My first few months I couldn't figure out why forecasts (when I saw them later) matched so close to reality - didn't think they were that good then found out.

Another funny thing this person did was tell everyone the current catalog was dropping at 12:00 that day...yeah like everyone runs to their mailbox right at 12:00, actually has their mail there, gets a catalog and places an order...

...so I digress...back to the snow...

jhammer22 said:
Okay we are still getting ice in Iowa. It's raining and then freezing. Now our lights are beginning to flicker. :mad:

Aw...not fun! I hope you don't lose power (or internet).

I am located on the very eastern edge of Iowa and it started freezing rain here around 10:30 this morning. Everything is covered in ice!
It changed to VERY HEAVY snow at 3:30 and is coming down fast. They were predicting blizzard like conditions. Glad I'm home for the day. However, I'm supposed to have a show tomorrow afternoon and if this keeps up like they say, her 14 confirmed guests will turn into "0". :(

chefjenibel said:
I am located on the very eastern edge of Iowa and it started freezing rain here around 10:30 this morning. Everything is covered in ice!
It changed to VERY HEAVY snow at 3:30 and is coming down fast. They were predicting blizzard like conditions. Glad I'm home for the day. However, I'm supposed to have a show tomorrow afternoon and if this keeps up like they say, her 14 confirmed guests will turn into "0". :(

Maybe with the conditions they'll shop online for her?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I was on television once.

Mom made me get down before I fell and hurt myself.

I was on Television once, too. The Dinah Shore show (I hope I am not the only one to know of it :rolleyes: )

My Mom helped me make the poster that got me on it. It was for school and about the Liberty Bell.

Tina I remember the Dinah Shore show too!

genburk said:
I was on Television once, too. The Dinah Shore show (I hope I am not the only one to know of it :rolleyes: )

My Mom helped me make the poster that got me on it. It was for school and about the Liberty Bell.
That's so long ago it's called the Dinah Saur show.

See the USA in your Chevrolet
America is asking you to call
Drive your Chevrolet through the USA
America's the greatest land of all

On a highway, or a road along the levy
Performance is sweeter, nothing can beat her
Life is completer in a Chevy

So make a date today to see the USA
And see it in your Chevrolet

Of course, some of us have changed the words slightly....

See the USA
In your Model A
America is asking you to call
Drive your Model A through the USA
America's the greatest land of all.

HAven't been on CS all day - had a big show today (went VERY well!) but the flights out of GR are already being cancelled, and we have winter storm warnings in effect until Monday morning....still waiting to see the first snow - but I guess it's really coming!:rolleyes:

Just don't send it my way. I have enough to look at. I just heard that I may only get flurries out of it on Monday. I hope that's all. It's supposed to stay to the south of us here.

Becky, the leading edge of the front just crossed from Lake Michigan over Benton Harbor. Batten down the hatches.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Well, I hear the plow/salt truck running, so I'll have to go out in a little while and pick up what's left of my mailbox.

(See my 'blog for more on the mailbox story.)

We had the same issue, kinda in reverse though. When we got our first house (and we lived on a very busy street), my Dad put up a nice wooden T-post and mailbox. Someone hit it every year and he put up a new one, for about 5 years. One year he figured might as well save money each year and he bought a cheap ole metal pole and the cheapest mailbox he could find. That was the last year that someone hit it, except once (read below). My Mom still has that same mailbox and post that my Dad put up about many many years ago. Well.... she may have bought a new box since then, but it is still the really cheap kind.

raebates said:
Hey, KG, just do what my DH did. Replace your puny mailbox post with a section of a utility pole. He buried 4 ft of it in the ground. Trust me. It's not going anywhere. Snow plows fear us!

My Dad thought about putting concrete in our box to make it last longer but didn't. Our neighbor however, has done that.

Anyway, in the late 1980's a lady trying to stop for a schoolbus, hit our mailbox, and Thank Goodness, we had a box that just came right out of the ground and stuck to her bumper. :D. She drove across our yard and into the neighbors yard and ended up about a foot from a tree, but she had her little girl STANDING in the front seat and she remained standing until she stopped. If we had put concrete in our pole, I hate to think where the 3 year old could have landed. She also almost hit the two kids getting off the bus :eek: ( But like I said we live on a very busy street. )

Weather alerts starting here now...looks like it's NOT going to miss us...guess I won't be online later...

Why not? What else have you got to do when it's snowing?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
That's so long ago it's called the Dinah Saur show.

That was the first good laugh I've had all day..:D

Ain't it a shame it wasn't earlier in the day.....:rolleyes:

I would love to see one of your cooking shows... I bet you keep them laughing in more tears than the onions you are cutting.....

Last edited:
WELCOME BACK TO WINTER! We haven't had a good, old fashioned blizzard in quite some time...gotta love Wisconsin! It was close to being in the 40's last week, now we have a blizzard. Whoopee.

On the bright side, most people will be home tomorrow - time for a BOOKING BLITZ!!

pcchris said:
On the bright side, most people will be home tomorrow - time for a BOOKING BLITZ!!

Hey Chris, do you normally call people on Sunday's? I just can't get myself to do it.:eek:

Chicagoland is covered in ice. It took me twice as long to get home from my show tonight (which is at $925, btw :)).

I was going 20 mph down one part b/c the road was just ice ice ice and the idiot behind me was so close I couldn't see his headlights. I hope he slid off the road. GRRRR!!

Sunday night is a GREAT night for calling, Kristi!!! Everyone is home preparing for the week ahead.

But tomorrow is the Oscars, so I will personally be watching, not calling. :) And I have my last show of the weekend tomorrow afternoon, so I will be WIPED!!!

Yeah, my weekend is done now! 3 shows in a row and tomorrow we're going to Disney World! Yeah! I'm just waiting for DH to get home so we can snuggle and pass out!:p

I have my DVR taping the Oscars so if I'm not home yet, I'll have it available for me!:D

Well, most churches in our area have cancelled their services for tomorrow...I have no problem calling people from like 4-7 p.m. I do not watch the Oscars, seeing as how I don't ever get a chance to view movies, but if people are watching the Oscars, the conversations will be short ones! Hopefully like this "I would love to have a show...how about this date...talk to you later this week!" Imagine how many phone calls you could make in 2 hours!

I told DH we are NOT going to church tomorrow.

Then he asked me if I was going to cancel my show and I laughed at him. :)

ROFL!!!!!!! Thanks for the late night (or early morning) laugh! I was thinking my host was going to cancel on Saturday, no deal. It was okay, but not the best in sales. Sometimes I think I'm a little insane...but it's kinda fun!!!! LOL!!

It's pretty gross around here. It's been freezing rain/rain onand off since 6pm...the streets are mediocre with slushy stuff. I'm glad to be staying in and that my PJ brunch was a blast before the weather moved in!

The ice is starting to melt here, but we're stuck at home instead of going to church. We watched a deer slip and slide in the road earlier. My DH tried to walk down our driveway to get a closer look at the road. He started skittering about half-way there, so he turned around, walked carefully back up to the house, and announced that we weren't going anywhere for at least a couple of hours.The good news--my appointment to close a show today isn't until 3 p.m. DH is going with me just in case, but I should be able to make it there without too much difficulty.

Church is cancelled here.I don't know how deep it is (haven't been outside yet) but it's wet, it's heavy, and it looks like there is at least 10" put there.They might have been right, after all.Edited to add: I've just come in from breakfast (it's about 9:30 now) and it isn't that bad. Only 5-1/2" overall, there are some 10" drifts. It is very wet, it is very heavy, and the plow dropoff is like shoveling iron. But there was no blizzard, there was no white death, and there was no real reason to cancel church this morning, IMHO.Carry on.

Last edited:
My mom called at 8:30 last night to say she wasn't going to church in the morning. Phew...didn't want her to be stuck! ...now to call and make sure she isn't killing herself shoveling slush!

The northwoods is still clear - the TV has been beeping warnings that last until midnight tonight since yesterday at about 6 p.m. but nothing yet...

drifted inwe got snow but the winds are the real story. Here is a pic from my front door this morning. Going to be fun shoveling this stuff if I can get out my door. :D
100_0380.jpg

Suck it in or crawl through a window! LOL! Good luck!!!!
...not envious at all...and hoping it doesn't hit us too hard today!

janetupnorth said:
Suck it in or crawl through a window! LOL! Good luck!!!!
...not envious at all...and hoping it doesn't hit us too hard today!
I would but I have all my windows taped up with plastic lol. oh well just another day in the beautiful northland.

poohritz said:
I would but I have all my windows taped up with plastic lol. oh well just another day in the beautiful northland.

Funny - here too! :) Except the one patio door where the kids pulled it down over the last few days.

Now the storm is coming to the northeast!! :(

Oh spring, where are you???:rolleyes:

Taken from the edit of my earlier post:I've just come in from breakfast (it's about 9:30 now) and it isn't that bad. Only 5-1/2" overall, there are some 10" drifts. It is very wet, it is very heavy, and the plow dropoff is like shoveling iron.But there was no blizzard, there was no white death, and there was no real reason to cancel church this morning, IMHO.Carry on.Love the photo, Dave!

It was so nasty driving yesterday that my hubby who drives an hr to work put in his PTO form for today. Were were sitting here having a lovely morning and he gets called in to work anyway!!! Snow in the driveway was so deep he couldn't even get our Jeep cherokee thru it. The snow was up to the bumpers! Poor guy had to shovel a path!

Ahhhh Minnesota!

But I wouldn't change it for anything!

weather updateUPDATE DULUTH: Bizzard warning in effect til 6pm tonight, then winter storm warning there after until 6 AM tomorrow.:eek: nice where was all this banking snow when the temps dipped down. oh well good day for chili and cornbread, and lots of hot coffee.

Duluth always feels so Superior.Doesn't Spring usually arrive there about half past June?

poohritz said:
UPDATE DULUTH: Bizzard warning in effect til 6pm tonight, then winter storm warning there after until 6 AM tomorrow.:eek: nice where was all this banking snow when the temps dipped down. oh well good day for chili and cornbread, and lots of hot coffee.

Right there with ya Dave!

The weather is picking back up again and we are expected to get a nice combination of snow and icy rain today to add onto the foot of snow. Wonderful! Great for snowmobiling though. I drove last night and it took me about thrity minutes for a normal seven minute drive. The wind made the drifting snow seriously dangerous.

Hey Pampered Tricia,

I saw your username and knew you had to be from Wisconsin. Welcome aboard! I'm in Sussex, not too far from you. We're headed outside to build snowmen right now - it's the perfect kind of snow for it!

Not too long after my post yesterday we lost power. It was out for about 13-14 hours. I'm surprised it's back up already. I live in an established neighborhood with a lot of big old trees. Some of the limbs are weighted down to the ground. I think we only ended up getting about 6 inches of slush (very, very wet snow). I'm about to take a nap now after shoveling 3 driveways. Somehow my husband was able to commandeer the snowblower and do the neighborhood sidewalks while I worked on the driveways. :mad:

Julie

3rd largest snowfall in Feb for duluths hsitoryso far the totals are like 10-12 inches around the twin ports. not too bad commute today. oh well I'm glad I got out and shoveled yesterday, as it didn't take to long to get out of my driveway. offered to help the neighbor as she was almost stuck in her drive. thats all for now. I guess I have to reschedule my open house that I was going to have on sat. lol

Okay, Wisconsinites, Someone told me today that the meteorologists ae forcasting another storm later this week...and somewhere in the foot of snow range again. I haven't had a chance to watch much tv lately, did anyone else hear this? I guess the whole midwest will be hit by this. Now, this is what someone else said, I'm not spreading rumors...just want to know if anyone else heard this. Thanks!

you heard correctly at least in the duluth area it is gonna be here thurs, friday. from what they say anyhow. weather people can be 90% right 10% of the time and people believe them. lol

Last edited:
I've got a thing called The Weather Channel Desktop. I'm not sure how I got it, but it opens automagically when I boot up. It's localized, so I have my local temperature and radar. You might google The Weather Channel and see if you can load it.

We got about 12" total between all the "big storms" up here - not bad for us...the worse thing is that warm spell a week ago warmed everything then it froze as layers of ice on all the non-paved roads. I got stuck today...IN THE MIDDLE OF A ROAD because I had to stop for a stop sign and the road was glare ice...couldn't get any traction to start the van moving again...ah, the adventures of life. :)

You need some of that official Hodag tire grip.

<h2>1. What is a Winter Storm Watch and when is it issued?</h2><p>A Winter Storm Watch is issued when heavy snow, sleet, or freezing rain is expected to cause major impacts to commerce and society. It is issued when there is a potential for 8 to 12 inches of snow accumulation in South Central and Southeast Wisconsin from Saturday evening through Sunday afternoon.</p><h2>2. What other states will be affected by this Winter Storm Watch?</h2><p>The Winter Storm Watch is in effect for most of the midwestern states, including the Dakotas, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio.</p><h2>3. Should I be worried about the White Death coming?</h2><p>While it is important to take precautionary measures and be prepared for severe weather, it is also important to not panic. The severity of the storm may vary and it is important to monitor the latest forecasts for updates and possible warnings.</p><h2>4. Will this storm have any impacts on travel?</h2><p>It is possible that the storm may cause significant blowing and drifting snow, resulting in blizzard conditions. It is advised to start thinking about making alternate arrangements if you have travel plans on Saturday night and Sunday.</p><h2>5. Are school cancellations likely due to this Winter Storm Watch?</h2><p>In the past, school cancellations have been made based on these types of predictions. However, it is important to note that the severity of the storm may vary and it is ultimately up to the discretion of the school system. It is advised to stay updated on any school closures or delays.</p>

1. What is a Winter Storm Watch and when is it issued?

A Winter Storm Watch is issued when heavy snow, sleet, or freezing rain is expected to cause major impacts to commerce and society. It is issued when there is a potential for 8 to 12 inches of snow accumulation in South Central and Southeast Wisconsin from Saturday evening through Sunday afternoon.

2. What other states will be affected by this Winter Storm Watch?

The Winter Storm Watch is in effect for most of the midwestern states, including the Dakotas, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio.

3. Should I be worried about the White Death coming?

While it is important to take precautionary measures and be prepared for severe weather, it is also important to not panic. The severity of the storm may vary and it is important to monitor the latest forecasts for updates and possible warnings.

4. Will this storm have any impacts on travel?

It is possible that the storm may cause significant blowing and drifting snow, resulting in blizzard conditions. It is advised to start thinking about making alternate arrangements if you have travel plans on Saturday night and Sunday.

5. Are school cancellations likely due to this Winter Storm Watch?

In the past, school cancellations have been made based on these types of predictions. However, it is important to note that the severity of the storm may vary and it is ultimately up to the discretion of the school system. It is advised to stay updated on any school closures or delays.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
2 3
Replies
Views
katie0128
Back